Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 171 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 180 reviews
on May 4, 2012
This monitor arm is just like the Ergotron LX but for considerably less money. Unlike the Ergotron LX, this HP-branded unit it is mostly matte black in color instead of shiny chrome and multicolored. I prefer the all-black color scheme and appreciate how it fits in with the Dell U2410, U2412M and U2405 monitors on my desk. The matte color means dust will go unnoticed for longer.

The unit comes with an adjustable desk clamp which should work on any thickness of desk up to 2.8-inches. It also comes with the standard hole-drilling plate with 3-inch-long bolt, 3-inch by 2-inch backing plate and wing nut if you want to drill it into any surface.

I was happily surprised to find out it supports the rotation of the monitor in either direction a full 90-degrees, a fact I didn't see in the item specifications at the time I purchased it.

I mounted a Dell U2410 which weighs 14.3 pounds (6.50 Kg) without the stand (that's what Dell claims, I believe its more like 16-pounds). This arm states it will support up to 20-pounds. I had to tighten the height adjustment screw with the included 4mm allen wrench so it wouldn't float down. In order adjust that screw, the top portion of the monitor arm needs to be fully extended upward (like in the picture) so the adjustment bolt is exposed head-on instead of at an angle. This can be a problem if the monitor arm wants to float down.

The top (showing) desk plate takes up about 4.5-inches deep by 6-inches wide by approximately 1/2-inch thick. The top plate has rounded corners and edges, which is hard to see in the supplied Amazon images. The round logo in the pictures has an HP logo written in 1/8-inch relief, it's entirely black and comes with a round clear sticker protecting it. The logo can be removed from underneath via two Phillips-head screws, but there is no blank plastic part to replace the logo. I plan on covering the HP logo with some electrical or gaffers tape. The top plate has 4 rubber/foam pads to contact the desk surface and help the tension on the clamp while reducing any desk gouging that might occur with bare metal.

On the underside of the desk, when using the clamp, expect to use 4-inches of desk depth. This could become a problem on cheap desks from Sauder or similar companies that often have a support rail no fewer than 2-inches from the rear underside of the desk. Most flat-surface Ikea desks or cubical-style desks should be fine in this regard.

Upon full extension and/or rotation expect to use 3-feet of additional cable if the goal is to run cables discretely along the path of the entire length and height of this monitor arm without pulling cables taunt. The underside of the middle segment of the arm has a cable hide-away plastic cover with two channels. A quality DVI cable is almost thick enough to entirely occupy one of these single channels. With a power cable, a single DVI cable and one USB cable, snapping the plastic cover back into place can be a bit of a chore. There is no discrete way to hide the cables behind the desk pole upright without the use of twisty ties or zip ties. There is no channel along the monitor-end of the arm for cables, the instructions state to zip tie cables to keyholes under that segment. I recommend twisty ties since they are more forgiving and adjustable later on.

I suspect this robust base could be used to support two of the articulating arms if the adjustment collar for the bottom arm was low enough (included 2.5mm Allen wrench for the adjustment of the collar). Just buy two of these units for a dual-arm setup on a single mounting plate. It will be a fraction of the excessive Ergotron price. The metal backing plate is 1/4-inch steel and feels very stout, there's a semi-circle in it to make it even more rigid. The entire build is very high quality. While there certainly are plastic parts, there is steel where it counts.

I happen to have a sit-stand desk, so surface weight is a concern. This monitor arm comes in at 10-pounds without a monitor. It's a bit heavier than the Dell bases that normally come with the monitors.

The monitor arm can articulate all the way back to the vertical pole without extending the elbow past the back edge of the desk. This is important if the desk is right against a wall. When the monitor is like that, the center plate is about three inches off the base center. So looking straight on it will appear the monitor is off center in comparison with the base.

For under a hundred US dollars this monitor arm would be impossible to compare with anything else offered at the time I purchased it. Every other unit with this many features was at least 40 US dollars more. Many monitor arms don't support the 90-degree screen rotate, but this one does, and in both directions.

EDIT:
I now own 3 of these monitor arms. They hold various 24-inch IPS Dell units. I tried mounting two arms to one base, but the geometry is off for side-by-side flush mounting unless I extended the arms pretty far away from the wall my desk is against. If you'd like to use one base for a few screens, there will be a gap between them. I'm still very happy with each unit.
on March 15, 2013
I just bought this arm and another at the same time.
This one was $85 at the time of purchase, the other arm was about $50. The $50 item was the monoprice deluxe arm.

There is absolutely no comparison.
This arm is the winner.

The clamp on this arm is better - I tightened it once and it's stayed put.
The hinge mechanisms on this arm are better designed.
The upright pole is slightly wider on this arm.
Extending this arm forward works perfectly - the other arm sags.

This arm came with a better variety of mounting screws for the screen.
This arm came with tools to adjust and the tools worked perfectly.

Of course the big "feature" difference between arms is that this arm has a spring loaded adjustable height arm.
If you need to raise / lower your monitor, you just move the monitor up or down, there is nothing to unclamp first.
(There is even a tension adjustment to compensate for different weight monitors)

Overall I was completely impressed at how solid and robust this arm was from the moment I unboxed it.

Highly recommended and a good quality piece that should last.

Update 3-24-2013 Add one more + to the A+++ ...
# I've discovered three more positives about the HP Ergotron LX arm that I hadn't noticed/written about before...
# First, the clamp for the desk, like most clamps, is adjustable, meaning you can loosen a few screws and accommodate a thicker or thinner desk. What's not really called out in the pictures is how you do that.
# With the HP arm, those screws attach/loosen from the front side Ie the side facing you when it's installed.
# with that "other arm" they are installed from the back side.
# Why is this important?
# Well, even if you don't need to adjust the clamp screws to accomodate a different thickness of your desk, what you might want/need to do is remove the bottom part of the clamp so that you can put it on a desk # without pulling it away from a wall. With this arm you can do that easily: you remove the bottom of the clamp, place the base of the arm on your desk, and then crawl under your desk and attach the clamp with it's 2 screws then tighten it to the desk. That "other" arm I bought would work the same way, with one exception: you have to be BEHIND the desk to install/tighten the screws!

# One more thing I've observed.... The HP/Ergotron's upright pole is wider, I mentioned that before, but so far in using it for a few weeks, the HP pole hasn't budged a bit - which is what you would expect. The HP pole came factory installed to the Base.
# That "other arm" I bought, the pole was attached to the base by a single screw. I thought I tightened it enough, but I must not have, because now that "other arm's" pole is loose and wobbly.

# One more point - this would mostly apply if you were going to move the arm alot. The design of the HP/Ergotron arm is such that it can take daily side to side/front to back motion. If you plan to pull your monitor out each day, and then put it back, then you have another reason to choose the HP / Ergotron arm over a cheaper arm. I didn't realize how important this was until I installed the other arm I bought for my daughters room - the hinges on that one are of a different design and basically there is a risk of them coming loose any time you move the arm. Also, if you're thinking this doesn't matter, and you're just going to "set it and forget it" - well thats what I thought of the HP, and I've found it's so easy to maneuver that I end up moving it quite a bit. Heck the other day I kicked back and put my feet on the desk and pulled the monitor all the way forward so I could still see it!
###############################################################################################################################################

So my rating is now somewhere in the 6-7 starts out of 5 - A++++
Still very highly recommended.
Oh and that "other arm"? Since it's loose and I have to tear apart my daughters whole desk just to get at it to tighten it, I'm going to send it back and buy another one of these for use in her room as well.
on April 17, 2013
I mounted this to my bed. I screwed a 1"x6" piece of wood to the side of my bed and bolted the "L" part of the clamp to it. I put a 2008 24" monitor on it that is 3"-4" thick and heavier than the max weight specified for the arm. The top section of the arm that has a spring in it will not stay in place from the weight so I drilled holes in it so I can put a bolt in to keep it at the height that I want it. I recommend getting extra long cables for your monitor because when they are routed along the arm you lose about 3' of the cables. Since this arm is the same as the "Ergotron LX Desk Mount" but is $40.00 cheaper and black instead of chrome which matches most tech better. It is also possible to buy two of these and put them on the same pole but it won't be as high as buying the actual "Ergotron LX Dual Stacking Arm" and you will save $70.00. I plan on buying two more of these arms. I will put another monitor on one and get the "Ergotron Notebook Arm Mount Tray" for my laptop and tablet. I will try to upload some pictures.
review image review image review image review image review image
on January 5, 2012
I am very happy with this monitor stand. It seems to be identical in function to (and manufactured by) the Ergotron LX, but happens to be branded for HP, and has a matte black finish (which I actually prefer, since my monitor is all black.)
It comes with mounting options of like a clamp or a bolt that can fit through a hole about the size of a pencil width. I have an old desk, and went ahead and used the bolt mount, and everything feels very sturdy.
I have a tall desk, and had been wanting to have the option of standing at it while working on the computer, and with this, I can easily move the monitor up to my eye level when standing.
I had been concerned that I would need the "long pole" version of the Ergotron, but for almost $100 less, I am completely happy with my purchase!
The monitor can easily be rotated from Landscape to Portrait mode.
on January 17, 2014
I went back and forth for a while on this, and I couldn't be more thrilled that I went for it. This is, without a doubt, the most solid, versatile, and articulated monitor arm I have ever seen or used before. The only complaint I would have is that it lacks height specifically, it can not be used to suspend one monitor directly above another, but that's just nitpicking at that point. If you're at all undecided on this thing, GET IT. You won't be disappointed.
on November 5, 2011
Being a college student, I am on the computer long hours and have been suffering from significant neck pain from craning my neck to see my monitor all day long. I just bought and installed the HP Single Monitor Arm, and haven't had to strain my neck all day. I can put my monitor close to my face so I don't have to strain while working on research, data collection, or other tedious tasks, I can swing my 22" LCD monitor completely out of the way to use all of my desk space for doing any work by hand (i.e., multiple textbooks and notebooks out at once), and I can swing the monitor completely to the other side of my desk for watching movies.

From other reviews I found that this HP arm was believed to be the same as the Ergotron LX. The arm that I received is branded HP, but it also has stickers on it labeled Ergotron; further, the stickers on my arm include a url: [...] Information contained there confirms that this arm is a black colored, HP branded, Ergotron LX.

When I bought the HP arm, it was approximately 23% less expensive than the Ergotron LX arm at Amazon's prices (shipping and tax included). The HP arm MSRP is approximately 41% less than the Ergotron LX (as of this review; not including shipping or tax).

I mounted the arm's base straight to my desk top using the twist knob without any problems.

The arm does shake a bit when I type (~0.5mm up or down), but it shakes less than the stand that originally came with my monitor.

When I first pulled it out of the box I initially tried moving the individual pieces at their joints and all of them felt extremely stiff. But once assembled with a monitor on it, all of the arm's joints were easy to maneuver. The arm firmly stays in the orientation I place it in every time I move it.

Although zip tying the cables under the upper arm is less aesthetically pleasing than using the plastic cable management piece on the lower arm, the zip ties are quite a bit easier to put in place than plastic cable management piece.

This is by far, hands down, the best piece of equipment that I have bought for my desktop computer. By allowing me to work in comfort, I know that I will be more efficient and productive, as well as reducing the amount of time I spend working by requiring me to take fewer (no) breaks to rest my aching neck.

Pros:
Completely resolves my neck pain issues
Maximizes the physical space in which I have to work
Allows me to quickly and easily place my monitor for a number of tasks
Shakes less than the stand my monitor originally came with
Setup is simple
Adjustment is simple
Maximizes efficiency and productivity
May be less expensive than the Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm 45-241-026

Cons:
Lower arm plastic cable management is difficult to put in place with cables in it

Notes:
Make sure the monitor you intend to mount on the arm has VESA mounting holes to correctly match the arm's mounting plate (4 holes in a square pattern ~4" apart).

Leave slack in your monitor's power and connector cables to allow the joints to articulate properly and your monitor to function properly (e.g. you don't want the cables completely tight under the upper arm, or when you move the arm, the cables will have connectivity problems with your monitor because of the tension on them)

The arm's joints do require adjustment to its tension specific to your monitor and your preferences.

Additional Items Included:
Hardware to add an additional mounting plate to the base (above the mounting surface), and attach the base to the surface using a bolt through the surfce and a wingnut.

2 allen wrenches for adjusting arm tension.
on April 30, 2012
Using this monitor arm for our 21 inch cintiq which is just shy of the maximum recommended
weight for this arm. It works brilliantly and is perfect for drawing. It's stable and easily
adjustable. It's actually made by Ergotron and is the same as the LX model, however you save
nearly 40 bucks getting this re-badged HP version so it's great value for money.
on June 19, 2013
It's the re-branded version as everyone else has said.

Weight/size limit. I'm running a Dell U2713HM and adjust it several times a day. It will take some tweaking to get it right with all the different actuator points but I have no drift. You get monitor vibration but nothing major on the 27" that would make me think negatively, the way the arms are positioned it's pretty much physically impossible to reduce that. I bought two of these to be used with the Waterloo Sit or stand capable Arm, Keyboard Tray & Mouse Tray package and perfect.

I stand 6'0, the view tilt and extension is perfect at standing with both a 27" and 23" Samsung. These arms require a desk with some strength, spend the extra cash, it isn't much. Find a office supplier that often has off lease equipment, you can pick this up dirt cheap and pretty quality stuff.

Enjoy!
on December 8, 2011
Very good, a little hard to move in order to set in different positions. Easy to install and operate. Its price has come down, good value.
on July 29, 2014
The arm is great for regular monitors, it's rock solid. But it's not ideal for Wacom Cintiq 22HD, because these arms aren't meant to be used like an adjustable drawing table. It can handle the weight of 22HD, but the 22HD has pretty bad lateral wobbling movement when drawing with single hand. You have to hold the 22HD still with the other hand as you draw, which is awkward. I was expecting some minor lateral movement, but not this much. It is workable though. I'll keep the arm since I need the desk space, the arm has enough height to support 22HD in upright portrait position.Have I known about the lateral movement, I would have bought a table and use the stand came with 22HD.

You can minimize wobbling movement by not resting your drawing hand and arm on the tablet.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.