Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on May 18, 2013
This smartphone is amazing for many reasons! Here a just a few:
- Genius button: voice activation for calling, sending someone a text or email, searching the web, or finding a business. Love this feature!
- Can have 5-7 home screens. Easy way to organize your applications and features.
- Takes great photos with nice editing features!
- Navigation
- Pefect Size
- And many, many more!
I definietely recommend this phone. :-)
on January 11, 2011
Overall a very nice phone. The battery life is not good, but if you use T-mobile WiFi calling feature (change setting to wifi preferred), it saves the battery. I also turn off the data connection when wifi is on.
on December 5, 2011
I bought this phone a year ago, and right off the bat I noticed how terrible the battery life is, I am lucky to get it to last 5 hours before it dies. After about a month I started getting notifications that said my messages app had a force close. And my messaging becomes completelt useless until I restart the phone.and then it deletes every conversation I have on my phone. Also when I turn my phone back on it almost always resends old messages to people all on its own. Currently after a year my phone no longer likes to charge, ive tried several different chargers
Nothing. And by a miracle that I can actually get it fully charged it randomly shuts itself off and when I turn it back on..surprise my battery is dead! My friend has the same phone and almost all the same problems. Biggest waste of money ever.
on June 27, 2011
I bought this phone in March 2011 after 10 years of using various Blackberries (which I liked very much). I wanted to be able to send/receive emails, texts, as well as make voice phone calls. I really like the solid, well-made feel to the phone, the ability to use most (not all) apps in landscape or portrait orientation, the very crisp and bright screen, the ability to use Google Maps with traffic updates (when it works), the camera, and the soft keyboard (yes, I've adapted from the Blackberry keyboard). I also found that I could move lots of songs from my iTunes library easily to this phone (one less gadget to carry).

But, this phone has the following problems for me:
- can't sync my contacts and calendar with my Outlook 2010 on my personal computer (not running Microsoft Exchange Server). Research seems to indicate that T-Mobile deliberately eliminated this standard Android feature in favor of forcing you to use Google calendar and contact management. As Google's products in this area are still significantly less useful than Microsoft Outlook, I find this mystifying. Why not let each customer decide on whether to sync with Outlook or Google? T-Mobile's marketing is less than clear in this area - many of their reps do not know that this doesn't work and tell customers that they can sync to Outlook. So I have to enter events and contacts on both the phone and my computer.

- can't change the font size on any of the apps (except the internet browser). On-line research seems to indicate that this is a known problem; only solution seems to be to root the phone and use some third party app. Not acceptable - I could change font size at will on my old fashioned Blackberry. I don't want to root the phone.

- speaker phone volume is abysmal. Makes video chatting useless without a separate headset.

- standard news widget stopped updating 3 weeks after I got the phone. T-Mobile tech support could not resolve the problem without wiping the phone. I replaced it with a third party newsreader app that is still working (in teeny font).

- standard stock market widget defaults to May 31, 2011 instead of to the current date. If you mess with it, you can force it to update to the current date but who has the time? And, the next time you look, it's back to May 31st. The data should be pushed without my intervention.

- lack of a to-do list widget. Should be standard. Yes, the Android market has several possible apps but when I saw the permissions/privileges they want, I declined. Why should a to-do list need access to the internet or my contact list?

I also have noticed that the battery doesn't last nearly as long as my Blackberry but I don't expect it to. The screen is orders of magnitude bigger, crisper, and brighter - can't expect that it won't require more power. Keep a cable for charging in the car and my briefcase.

So, in summary, the myTouch 4G is a nice hardware platform (except the speakerphone volume) with some big holes in its usability. Not being able to adjust the font and sync to my calendar/contact database are big problems for me. Standard T-mobile apps need more testing before release. A simple software upgrade would make this phone so much better.
on April 21, 2011
At first I loved this phone - all the features I could want, easy email setup, web browsing with Flash and a nice interface. Over time, however, the problems became apparent. I do not know if it is 4G growing pains, but this phone will completely drop signal for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. This happens on a daily basis, multiple times a day at my work where I have a consistent, full bar connection on 4G. This happens at home more frequently although I average only 2 bars on Edge. What is interesting is that at home, it will fully drop the signal and will go to WiFi calling and once it is in WiFi calling mode it will be at least an hour, if not a couple of hours, before it tries to connect back to the cell signal and this is when the phone is sitting in the area that has the best cell reception in the house; previous phones would only occasionally drop the call but they would never completely lose signal for more than a few minutes. I have tried having the settings with GSM only and with WCDMA only thinking that the phone was just having trouble switching between modes, but the issue still happens. This happens with both of the MyTouch 4G phones purchased. Something seems off about this phone's reception and regardless of how nice the interface is, if you can't make a call then it defeats the purpose of being a phone.
on December 2, 2011
As a phone this model is more than adequate. As a camera it is a big disappointment with poor contrast, washed out images and very poor low-light qualities.

Don't bother with this phone (released in November 2010) if you are uncomfortable with the now outdated Froyo version of the android OS. After 13 months on the market and over 6 months of T-mobile promises, the Gingerbread OS update remains elusive for the vast majority of users.
on February 17, 2011
Nice phone. Good form factor and does most things reasonably well.

But be aware that if your company is on Exchange 2010, this phone does not support it (see the HTC and T-Mobile forums). Not only that, there is NO date on when either company is estimating it will.

I suppose they spent a lot of time making sure that you could do Facebook updates without problems, but at the expense of not testing the phone (or intentionally releasing a defect) for most serious business users.

Worse yet, this is the only 4G Android iPhone type phone that T-Mobile has. The G2 has a slider keyboard.

Also disappointed that the T-Mobile store I upgraded from didn't call this out as an issue, but once I called Customer Care - they knew all about it. Not happy.
on January 21, 2012
I got this phone for free by signing a two year contract with T-Mobile (it's normally $99 with the contract, but they were running a New Year's special if you bought online). It's my first smart phone and I couldn't be happier.

How much do I love thee oh phone? Let me count the ways. It's fast as hell, it plays video flawlessly, the screen resolution is excellent (way sharper than my iPod Touch), the OS (Android Gingerbread) is elegant, clever and intuitive, it has a front facing camera for video chat, it has a high quality speech recognition program that responds to voice commands to let you make phone calls, text, etc., its navigation program is pretty much just as good as my mom's Tom Tom (it speaks to you and everything) and it fits nicely in my pocket.

While this is my first smart phone, I've used my girlfriend's old iPhone 3G and newer iPhone 4 many times. While those are both quality pieces of phone, there is nothing those phones did that this phone doesn't do. It's noticeably better than the 3G, and at the very least just as good as the iPhone 4. In fact, it has better technical specs than the iPhone 4 in several instances (e.g. the iPhone 4 has 512 MB of RAM while the myTouch 4G has 768 MB.) Considering the price difference when compared with the iPhone 4 and 4S, there really is no reason to buy the iPhone other than the cachet of owning the latest Apple product. While I do think Apple makes good products, I still think their phones are a little overrated. I consider this phone in the same league as the 4S performance wise and I got it for free. If I had spend a bundle on one of the top-of-the-line Android phones it would have technical specs that blow the 4S out of the water. Plus, the old idea that while Apple products may be pricey, they are easier to use and better designed that their competitors is null. Android works pretty much exactly the same way iOS does, but has the added benefit of greater customize-ability and more available Apps.

So long story short, if you're thinking about getting this phone, do it. You won't regret it.
on November 4, 2013
Over the past 2 years, two phones of this model died on me. That means I'm on my third phone of the same model. The first one died after getting an official update (yes, the one through the settings menu). The second one died spontaneously one night and wouldn't get past the startup screen.

I had to pay $20 for each replacement and spent hours upon hours recustomizing each phone to the way it was before, not knowing when it would die again.

Also, the battery life is horrible. At best, it lasts 10 hours if you don't touch it.

If that doesn't justify a 1-star review, I don't know what does.
on June 23, 2011
The capabilities of this phone are amazing. You can do anything you want with this. Now, if you root your phone is even more amazing. Love this phone.

See 1 answered question