BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 4, 2011
I picked this guy up after my beloved Samsung T-509 (it won't let me product link it) started to die after five years of trusty service. My last few phones had been Samsungs, but I didn't find one that was cheap enough for what I wanted.

I just needed a simple phone I could use for my T-Mobile service. I don't web browse on my phone. I don't really use my phone that much to begin with actually, so while I had a normally billed plan, I was planning on switching to prepaid as I discovered it was $10/mo cheaper, and didn't lock me into a contract. My first ever cell phone(s) were Nokias, so I figured I'd go back to my roots and pick this one up.

Long story short, it does exactly what I hoped it'd do. All I needed it for is calling and occasional texting. While I don't find the texting to be quite as intuitive as it was on my previous Samsung phones, in all fairness I have to concede that that might be due to the fact that I'd had Samsung phones for several years, and my first forays into texting were on them - they were all I ever knew.

The only gripe I have with this phone, besides the aforementioned texting learning curve, is that there's just a tiny bit of lag time for it to execute a command. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable. Oh, and the camera isn't much. I daresay my old T-509 had a better camera, and it was five years old! But then again, I wanted a basic phone, that is what I paid for, and that his what I got.

What I like about the phone:

Battery life - I'm not sure if the claimed 10.6 hrs of talk time is accurate, but it is a solid battery

MicroSD - I can put pictures and music and whatnot on there, and use them as my background, or ring tones (free, simple, and unlimited possibilities), or play them through headphones (standard head phone jack!)

Radio - A feature I'll probably never use, but is kinda cool. You HAVE to have the headphones plugged in for the radio to work as they are the antenna, but reception was surprisingly solid when I was testing it. However, you can't play songs from the radio on speakerphone for all to enjoy the way you can with songs off the MicroSD card.

Small - Fits in my jacket pockets well, the keys autolock to avoid too many pocket dials.

I had no trouble getting it to work with my T-Mobile service. I just popped in my SIM card and it worked. I did have to call T-Mobile tech support to have them help me with SMS messages, which weren't going through or coming in. They had to send me some text that wrote some settings to the phone's memory, but it was quick and painless. It also survived the conversion to prepay and is working just fine on that plan now. For $50 I'm fairly satisfied.
on January 16, 2012
The Nokia C1-01 Unlocked GSM Phone does exactly what it was made to do and it does it well.

The phone was purchased several months ago and continues to operate, while taking it's share of beatings in our hot, humid climate, while continuously moving back and forth between the cold of IT Server Rooms and the outside heat. From being left in the car all day in the sun, from time-to-time, the Phone has also survived countless drops, from desk to floor, bed to floor, pocket to road drops. Yes, it does look beat-up, but...all the buttons are still in place and they all work. The only issue I am now seeing is the response time, going from home screen to whatever your choice, be it application or checking your address book. Not a big problem.

There are no dropped calls issue or problems with the signal.

The upper part of the phone heats up during long conversations, but this is to be expected and conversations were either transferred to speaker or ended to avoid too much RF exposure.

Multimedia was not used.

The phone is very good and you will not be disappointed in using this phone as your first or as a backup.

There were no problems with Amazon or with the shipping of this product.
on December 31, 2011
I was looking for an unlocked cell phone for my son for Christmas. I searched several sites and spent at least two weeks reading product reviews. Not all unlocked phones are compatible with my cell phone service, so it was important that I get this right. I liked the appearance and options this phone offered and because I trust Amazon, I decided to buy it.

My son loved the phone the minute he opened it and it worked perfectly. Two days later, however, it became unregistered. I contacted our service provider and the customer service representative thought it might be the phone. That made no sense to me since it had worked for two days. She brought a supervisor into it, and after a couple of downloads to the sim card, the phone turned on and has been working beautifully ever since.

The phone has a one year manufacturer's warranty. I hope that we never have to take advantage of it, and at this point in time I would have to say that this phone was an excellent deal for the price.
on November 28, 2011
Pros:
- Good reception and call quality. While the reception wasn't as far-reaching as my Blackberry Bold, for a cheap phone it held up really well on AT&T's network and had bars even in the depths of large supermarkets where I'd had problems getting reception. Call quality was exceptionally clear and crisp with no echo or interference.
- Small candy bar body, lightweight. It's plastic but it doesn't feel cheap. Screen is nice and bright, clear and easy to read.
- Texting on this phone was surprisingly easy -- the predictive texting was quite good and I have not had to correct it very often.
- Easy to set up for AT&T's network for both voice and SMS/MMS. Did not set it up for data use, so YMMV on that.
- Like all dumbphones, extremely good battery life -- standby lasts for several days and I made 4 30+ minute phone calls without making a significant dent in the battery bars in one day.
- Does conditional and unconditional forwarding if needed.
- Navigation square button is very easy to use, the rim of the square are four separate directional buttons you can use in navigation as well.

Cons:
- Unlocking the screen is annoying and I can't seem to set it to something else --- have to click on the navigation square, pause a tiny bit, then hit *. If you do it too quickly or too slowly you'll have to repeat it.

Conclusion: Fantastic for a cheap, unlocked GSM phone. Can use for texting in a pinch, but I'm used to virtual/physical qwerties so it would obviously not be my number one choice. The battery life, reception, and call-quality makes this my go-to phone for traveling overseas in GSM areas for use with prepaid SIMs. I would have given it 5 stars if it had a slide-out keyboard + different unlock method instead, but that's kind of a farfetched wish for something this basic and cheap.
on April 12, 2012
I ordered this item for a one-month bicycle tour of French-Italian-Swiss Alps where power will often be unavailable. The Nokia website specified 10.5 hours of talk time, but sneaked in a quote of a better battery not supplied in this package. The better battery is 1080 milli-Amp-hours, the standard is 800 milli-Amp-hours. The better battery needs the more powerful AC10U charger.
This charger has a miniUSB plug. But the C1-01 cell phone does not charge through the USB port. So long story made short is that this item is not as advertised, hopefully everyone will read this review, and it will function as a warning. Also the Amazon website for the phone does show in a sidebar that this phone is not for Europe, even though it has the 900/1800 frequencies used in Europe.
Be warned, dual-band phones may not work in Europe. Make sure you have, at least, a tri-band or better a quad-band phone to avoid a horrible surprise when you get to Europe and your phone does not work there. Even before the C1-01 arrived, I ordered the Nokia C2-01.5 which does charge through the USB port, has a better camera, and is both GSM and CDMA compatible. Amazon refunded the full $78.95 that I paid. Part of this is shipping cost. Some international SIM card providers do not list the C1-01 as compatible with their SIM cards, because the C1-01 is not compatible with European GSM. Considering the small difference in price of these two phones, it might be better to delete the C1-01 from the Amazon offerings to avoid the problem I had.
on March 2, 2012
I needed a basic and reliable phone in a hurry and after much research, I took a shot on this Nokia C1-01. I'm happy with my choice and I can recommend this device to those seeking a similar solution for a cell phone. I don't need a smart phone, just something dependable that handles the basics well. By comparison, this phone is vastly superior to the Samsung Gravity it replaced, especially in terms of user experience.

My phone arrived quickly and was in fact unlocked; it worked immediately with my T-mobile sim card. It's easy to use, easy to program, and the call quality is fine. Battery life is more than acceptable: I leave the phone on 24/7 and charge it twice a week at most. A nice bonus is the ability to use Micro SD cards for storage and the inclusion of a standard mini-plug input for headphones.

This phone is well-made and serves its purpose more than adequately. I recommend it.
on April 10, 2011
If you are looking for just a good cheap phone then you will be very pleased with this one. Sound quality is good, reception is typical and battery life good. One review that complained about the speaker being used for the ringer has not been a problem for me. You really can't hear the caller unless you have the phone to your ear, at least no more so than any other phone. The little slot cut on the outside for the ringer sound is easily covered with your finger while you are on the phone if it really concerns you, not a deal breaker for me.

It has a few extra hidden gems that will surely please. One for me is the FM radio sounds great with a good pair of ear buds or headphones. You auto scan for stations and then select previous or next station to switch. Note that the USB connector is a micro type B port connection, not the mini type B that you find on most cameras and hard drives. Just search for a USB micro cable and buy one if you plan to connect the phone to your computer.
on August 25, 2013
I purchased one of these phones in Jan. 2013 and after a few months I could no longer send text messages. I could receive text messages but just could not send any. At the same time I noticed I could not receive multi-media messages either. I thought something was wrong with the phone so I bought another one and had the same problem. I could not send texts or receive multimedia messages. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my sim card so I contacted my wireless carrier AT&T and they checked out both phones and told me the reason they did not work properly was because they were not US version phones but International phones. Sometimes they may work properly in the beginning but can continue to fail later on like the first one I got. The second one I got had this problem immediately. Unfortunately for me I cannot get a refund for my phones because by the time I found out what was wrong with them it was too late to get my money back. There should be a way to get my money back, because this is not fair to me. And it is a shame because I love these phones. As of now, I still use them, just can't send text messages...what a bummer.
For it's day, these little Nokias were some tough cookies. I dropped mine a lot and I work construction, so by the time it was obsolete it was thoroughly banged, dinged, faded, and still, entirely functional.
on May 22, 2012
This phone was purchased -like new- from a seller on Amazon. The menus are straight forward. My personal opinion is that Nokia's menus are the easiest to use.

The battery on this phone records a long time. I made a video recording (3gp) the other day-off a fully charged battery- which recorded for 7 (seven) hours. The battery will record audio (amr) for 10 to 15 hours without the ac adapter being plugged into the electric.

The point is that there are no time limits on the recordings. You end the recording manually or the battery runs out.

And, if you record while the ac adapter is plugged in and have a large size micro sd card you could probably record for a couple of days.

Ok, I'm a gadget person.

The phone will hold up to a 32 gb micro sd card. With the usb cable, transferring data to a pc is time consuming. Better to use the adapter card that comes with micro sd card if your computer has a slot for it.

The backlighting won't turn off when recording video. Probably some way to achieve this which I haven't had time to figure out.

Most cell phone companies have sim cards which will work in this phone. Even cdma companies. You must contact them. Perusing the company web site is best but time consuming, however, its good to see the info in writing. Check it out.

Best

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.