Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on March 26, 2012
First off, I love my new HTC Desire HD. It is by far my favorite phone and, man, what a huge upgrade it is from Nokia C6!

I'm not going to comment on all the tech specs as this phone is already half-outdated (released at the end of 2010 I believe) in today's tech standards. The touch screen is extremely responsive yet not overly sensitive. User interphase takes a moment to adjust to for a Nokia user, but it's fairly easy & friendly once you lay your hands on it. Picture quality is superb, though I am yet to try out how it works with the flash light (many phone cameras are doomed with taking poor quality pictures when using flash light). Processor speed is very good - most apps can be downloaded & fully installed within 30 secs (of course, also depends on your connection speed).

With all my praises for this phone, I do find a few things that bug me:

- battery life: so short. This is my first HTC but I heard it's a common HTC problem. But, 75% left after 3 hours of AIRPLANE mode w/ hardly any usage or 85% left after two hour with 3G on but no activities? This phone would never last an 8-hour day with moderate usage.

- sloppy design of the battery lid: feels cheap and very hard to take off & put back. Every time I do so I feel like I am going to break that little poor piece of plastic. This bugs me a lot.

- poorly designed lid for the SIM card & micro SD card slot: the phone looks perfectly smooth out of the box. BUT, once you insert a SIM card and put the lid/cover back, the SIM card creates a "bump", and the phone is no longer perfectly flat. Doesn't bother me that much, but HTC should be ashamed of this silly design. Are they expecting people to use this phone solely as a portable wifi device without a SIM card???

- Position & design of the camera: without a phone cover, the way the camera sticks out is doomed for scratches.

- Doesn't come with a factory screen protector sheet: ALL cellphones I've purchased brand new, whether the traditional ones (i.e. non-smart) or smart ones, even flip phones, came with a screen protector sheet that can be easily peeled off. I tend to keep those on for as long as I possibly can as I find them effective enough for protecting my screen. This phone is the first that came w/o one. I'm quite disappointed because they fail to provide such little things that cost them literally NOTHING all for the greed of making extras (or in favor of merchants lower in the food chain) from the side products.

Overall, pleasant to use but falls short on many little things. For all its pluses, I still gave it a four star, but it really is closer to a 3.5.
on September 17, 2017
It was a titan back in the day. Now it is not the go to phone.

Looking back the iPhone was the way to go.
on January 24, 2011
I have the nexus one.
I bought this for the bigger screen,the 8 mp camera and Gps map availability without internet.What a difference to the nexus.
Its just not only the screen size, but the response to touch is much better as well.

The HTC sense makes a big difference over the stock android that nexus has to offer.Small things like news app,facebook app,email app also make life easier.

Over time I have used the Sony X 10, HTC desire ,iphone. This wins by a big margin.Definitely a buy if you are looking for an unlocked Android smartphone.
22 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 5, 2011
I had this HTC that has more problems that solutions. The battery is a real mess. Even with a 1600 battery it does not last more than 8 hours. I used to re-charged it between 1 or 3 pm in order to last at least until 8 PM. But also the most disappointing issue is the language. This A9191 comes with Enghis off course BUT FROM INDIA??? how in the HELL can anyone think that a device to be sold in AMAZON US has to come in a foreign language that couldn't use some US applications from Android market for example AMAZON MP3. It is incredible that even Amazon does not know that. It has english from INDIA as a only language. Even HTC does not know how to handle this problem. Therefore if you don`t care to pay 500$ for a device that has a battery problems but also some limited applications from android US market well let me tell you that you should try IPHONE 4. More than 20 languages and you are able to buy it unlock it right now.
on July 12, 2013
I bought this phone, and it came before the specified delivery date, I give the seller props for that.
When I was shopping for a phone, I bought this one because it was unlocked..., well it was not, I had to get that done.
This phone is surprisingly heavy... but when in your pocket, it just disappears and the weight no longer becomes an issue, it doesn't even show like there's something in your pocket, but the only concern I have is the camera, it pushes out a bit... and the only thing you will feel.
Now, the camera... wow, It rivals a professional D SLR cam... the quality is superb.
the touch is wicked... you don't have to put your finger on the screen, just hover real close.

Overall this is a great phone.
on August 11, 2011
I spent 460$ and got one about 40 days later, it was excellent for 1 month till I forgot it in my car for about 3 hours ,it was under direct sun rays when I got it ,it was very hot but no matter I left many phones (different brands for similar or even longer time before and nothing happened !!?? ).After that it started some strange errors like loosing signals in a well covered areas ,sudden switching off during calls and loosing some previously saved data,I sent it to htc agency in my country (Egypt) and I received the severe shock[IT NEEDS A MOTHER BOARD FOR ABOUT 350$]I said no thanks and decided never to use this brand any more,In my opinion also Amazon.com is also responsible for what happened they should not deal with those dealers in order to let us respecting their name Htc A9191 DESIRE HD (ACE) Unlocked Phone
Abdelazizelsherif@yahoo.com
on July 27, 2013
I've had this phone for 6 months and here are my comments about it:

Like:

+ Cheap
+ It came unlocked as advertised, so I can use it with any carrier
+ It has an aluminium unibody, yet you can change the battery, which has a decent life for light usage
+ microSD slot, I use a 32GB card with no issues
+ Performance increased a lot after changing the ancient stock Android to a newer version

Dislike:

- It gets hot when using the GPS
- Had a lot of HTC Crapware(tm) which degraded performance

Also the camera is just ok, but could take quicker, better photos, but that is the OS's fault.
on March 8, 2011
Great phone, with a too small battery. Will keep it anyways until any smartphones charge lasts for weeks, not hours.
on December 28, 2014
Despise it about as much as my hubbys ex wife! Go to take a picture and it'll restart itself ,lag time is unbelievably slow and battery time is horrible, dead in 2 hours ! Worst phone I've ever owned and I'll never own a HTC again!
on September 16, 2011
Hi
I got the phone lastweek and its my first smart phone...its really a amazing smart phone..expecially the HD is very good...i like the phone very much..its 4.3 inch screen is good to view all....the android 2.3 is nice and one drawback is, it is not having front camera....overall its a nice smart phone...better than any smartphone in market.....
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.