Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Onkyo 9.2 Channel Black AV Home Theater Network Pre-Amplifier - PR-SC5508
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on July 11, 2012
This unit replaced my Lexicon processor which had died after 5 years and I did not want to pay the exuberant amount of money to have it fixed. After almost a year and a half of ownership, I am satisfied with the PR-SC5508 but, of course, it doesn't sound as good as my now defunct Lexicon once did.

This thing is packed with features that most home theater geeks will love in regards to tweaking the audio and video. The remote is just okay but I'd recommend upgrading and buying something to control your whole system. I also would highly recommend running the Audyssey MultEQ before listening to the system. I hooked up the system without running the Audyssey MultEQ and I was pretty let down with the home theater sound quality. About a week later, I ran the Audyssey setup and (WOW!) it was like a night and day difference. I was floored with the quality difference in sound. My only complaint was that I had to boost the sub about 2 decibels after I ran the EQ. As for video performance, I am extremely satisfied with the video switching capabilities of this unit. For overall home theater, I rate this unit 4.5 stars and feel that there are only a few units on the market that can compare at the $2,000.00 price range.

As for music, this unit is just okay although my ears are probably spoiled from my old Lexicon. My SACD and DVD Audio discs just don't sound as good as the Lexicon for music but this really isn't a fair comparison and is more of an apples to exotic fruit comparison. As for vinyl, the Onkyo really has exceeded my expectations. I thought the PR-SC5508 would suck with analog sound since it is more focused on home theater and digital sound but when I paired it with my Pro-ject turntable, I was pleasantly surprised. Musically, I rate this unit 3.5 stars for CD, MP3, internet streaming, AM/FM, SACD, and DVD-A music. As for vinyl, I'll give it a 4.0 star rating. Like I mentioned before, I have been spoiled by my old system in regards to music so I may be a little harsh when reviewing the musical characteristics of this unit. Most of the population won't even notice the subtle differences that I pick up on and will be completely satisfied.

If you are a home theater/AV geek, you will love this preamp. If you are upgrading from a AV receiver based system, you will love this preamp. If you are looking for a central AV hub for your home theater and house, you will love this preamp. If you are an audiophile who wants home theater, you might want to keep looking, although you'll probably need to jump up to the $4,000.00+ range to find something more acceptable. In conclusion, I give this unit 4.0 stars and feel that it is a great value for the money spent.
on August 2, 2012
This pre/pro has some very useful features for audio that support a superb listening experience, for example, the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 acoustic room correction system. It does a great job, especially to mitigate low end room mode interferrence, enabling accurate bass perception. Also, if your room has a low ambient noise level , the PR-SC5508 plays digital audio files from USB thumb drives, eliminating the need to have a rotating playback machine operating. No matter how high the quality of the transport drive, in a very quiet room you can hear it spinning. My PR-SC5508 feeds a Tannoy Ellipse 10 iDP active Dual Concentric monitor and a Bag End Infrasub 18 Pro on each side, and the music sounds wonderful.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse