Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 181 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 190 reviews
on November 3, 2012
I have both sizes of these dough whisks and I really like them. Below is what I wrote in my review for the other size: Dough Mixer - 14 Inch. This is basically a comparison of the two different sizes. I've uploaded some pictures, but please keep in mind that this listing is for only the 11" whisk. Some of the pictures show both sizes for comparison sake, and one of them shows the whisk inside of a jar. Those extras do NOT come with this item. (I'm not seeing the photos in the image gallery right now, so I'm not sure they went through; I'm sorry if they don't show up.)

I didn't find the handles splinter-y at all, though they aren't coated with a varnish (I don't think I'd like that anyways, unless it was a food-safe finish). I guess if it starts bothering me while I'm mixing something very stiff, I can just wear one of those glove-type oven mitts. The metal hooks most certainly are different sized on the two, contrary to a review I read on one of these listings. She said the only difference was in the length of the handle, but that's not correct. The actual measured sizes are as follows:

11" whisk is that length overall. The wooden handle part is a bit over 8". The hook part on both is actually a bit oval in shape rather than perfectly round. The main circle of the hook is about 2 3/4" in diameter. [This whisk *does* fit inside of a 50 ounce Bormioli jar Bormioli Rocco Fido Square Jar with Blue Lid, 50-3/4-Ounce (which some people use to keep natural yeast starters). That means you can use the 11" whisk to stir the starter while it's in the jar.]

14" whisk is just a tad over 14" overall length. The wooden handle is 10 1/2" long and the main circle of the metal hook is about 3 1/2" in diameter.

This means, IMO, that the 14" whisk is better suited to bread doughs (especially the larger batches that call for 6 or more cups of flour) and maybe for people with larger hands. The 11" whisk is just right for quick breads and muffins, and for people of a smaller stature (including kids). The dough hook is substantially smaller on the 11", so I can see where the 14" would be better for some jobs (unless you have really small hands and it's just too uncomfortable for you). I don't personally think leverage is an issue either way since I hold the 14" the same as I would the 11"--which is close to the business end. It seems more natural that way. The diameter of both handles feels the same. I didn't take that measurement, as I can't find my micrometers.

What I'd like to see is a mixer with the handle of the 11" model and the wire part of the 14" model. The extra handle length on the 14" is wasted material unless you need to reach down into a deep pot with it (less leverage that way, though), but the metal hook of the 14" is superior to that of the 11" model since the bigger size gives greater performance on all doughs. Of course, if you could only buy one and you're doing both bread and other mixes, I think I would choose the 14" to be able to cover everything (unless my hands were very small).

I hesitate to call these mammoths "whisks" like they do in the listing because the metal on them is so un-whisk-like. Lol. The gauge of the metal is quite large--sufficient enough for any stiff dough, for sure, and not like the smaller gauge on normal whisks. I think "dough hook" would be more appropriate.

The construction of this mixer is really superior to many other tools out there. I don't think the metal part is going to come off the handle, as some people have surmised it might do. It's clamped on there very well and if I don't bang it around or abuse it then it should stay intact. If not, then I think it could be re-clamped on there with some vice-grips or something. I don't think it will be a problem, though. If I find that it is in the years to come, I'll update my review at that time.

As far as usefulness is concerned, I think that certain tools are better suited to certain jobs. I can't use a whisk for my whole recipe, nor can I use a wooden spoon for all of it, and I always use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl. So I already use a few different tools for baking. Adding this dough hook to my utensil crock is not an inconvenience to me because I really like how it handles batter and dough. If you're a minimalist, though, this might not be a good tool for you if you already use a couple tools to mix batter. You can technically make things just fine without it. But I love nice kitchen equipment, so it was worth the money to me (which is not much at all considering the quality of the piece).

I would recommend either one of the mixers; the size is going to be very individual based on needs, the size of the person, and the size of their hands. The price difference between the two is so small that I don't think it should be a determining factor.
review image review image review image review image review image
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2012
Wow, I wish I had known about this item sooner. I recently starting making a batch or two of cookies every so often and the dough is so hard to mix and stir, especially when I am adding lots and lots (and lots) of chocolate chips and nuts. Still, it's not worth using and cleaning my stand mixer, so I usually just struggle through. Not any more! This whisk just glides through and mixes the heavy dough so easily. (For the record, I have not used it on bread as I seldom hand-knead my bread dough.)

I just used it on a batch where the stick of butter wasn't quite soft enough to stir in, so I was expecting a struggle. The whisk easily went through the butter, and I just held a silicone spatula in my other hand to help break up the clumps as I stirred, and after that, smooth sailing with the whisk. I can't imagine what it would have been like trying to do that with a spoon.

I debated between an 11-inch whisk and a 14-inch whisk, and I went with the 11-inch partly to save storage space and partly because I am very short. I worried it might be too short to get a good grip on if I needed to use both hands, but no, it was perfect.

Also, I went on a cookie-supply splurge and bought a cookie scoop (OXO Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop-- wow, was that a time saver!) and parchment sheets precut to the size of my cookie sheets. Only bad part is: it is now so amazingly easy for me to bake cookies, I'm going to be doing it more often.
on March 14, 2012
I bought this, along with two Cambro containers, in order to simplify making breads from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". It was a good move, and I wouldn't have even thought to do so, had I not seen the pairing of the whisk with the book and the Cambros. You can whip up a batch of dough in no time flat- MUCH, much more quickly than with any other hand tool I have ever used! (And that's saying something- I'm a former professional cook, and a long-time home baker.) It doesn't look like much, but it's incredibly efficient for incorporating flour into liquids. I would highly recommend this to anyone who's trying out the process outlined in the "Five Minutes a Day" books, or any other bread-baking techniques. Worth it!
on February 5, 2014
I recently bought both the small and large size (the made in Poland ones..these are well made and exactly like the ones I remember from years ago). Haven't sed the large one yet, will use for bread making. But the small one I've used almost daily. I've used it so far for: whisking eggs for recipe ingredients, scrambled eggs, frikedeller, quick mixing dry ingredients, folding stiffy beaten egg whites or cream into dessert mixtures (such as mousse). Cleaning is easy hand wash. Please dont put in dishwasher: would ruin the wood handle. And why even do that when hand washing it is so easy! Another reviewer mentioned a problem with the whisk not being secure to the handle. Don't know if that reviewer was referring to 'the made in china' version. But the Made in Poland ones that I received, are well made, solid and sturdy. I find the wooden handle to be comfortable and it doesn't feel rough (I think an earlier reviewer thought it was). All in all, a well made, design from the 'old days' that is so simple, functional and made to last, provided you're willing to take the few seconds involved to hand wash!
on April 30, 2016
This Danish Dough Whisk is such an amazing product. It's one of those kitchen tools you think you don't need, or you won't use, or something else could work just as well...but you're wrong! If you make bread or dough at all, this is totally worth it. About a year ago I decided to start making homemade bread on a semi-regular basis. It's cost effective and tastes WAAAAY better than store bought bread. There are a million no-knead bread recipes on the internet and I just copied one of those. It was easy enough and turned out really well, but the mixing part was still a bit of a hassle. I decided that if I was going to do this often, I could invest a few dollars on a nice bowl with a lid for rising and this whisk (which people seemed to rave about). I have to say...I completely agree with all the positive reviewers. This thing really does mix your ingredients together in a blink. And it's sooo easy to use. It's also easy to clean. I'm not sure if it's technically dishwasher safe since the handle is wooden, but I toss mine in the dishwasher all the time and it hasn't broken down at all. I liked this so much I bought some for Christmas as gifts.

Bottom line, as much as we all hate to have single use tools in the kitchen, this one is totally worth it. And it doesn't take up much space!
review image review image review image
on March 13, 2017
After seeing all the positive reviews on this item, I decided to take a chance. WOW!! This whisk mixes dough likes nobodys business. I was concerned it would be too large to mix my sourdough starter in a 1 quart jar, when I feed it, but it works perfectly. Highly recommend
on August 16, 2013
I love this hook. I have another one of these that was my Great Grandmothers. I wanted a second one as well often the other is in my dishwasher (top rack only) People think I am crazy using a whisk that is over a hundred years old. So if you take care of this it should last forever. It is really great to mix muffins, banana bread and beer bread and like breads. The wire on my GGs is a the wire is a little different but this one works just as well and so I am very happy with this new one. My Granddaughters have always wanted the one I had. I thought well I will get them one for Christmas but as soon as they saw the new one they ordered their own. So now I will have to find another gift for the Christmas Santa Stocking. Oh well.
on June 18, 2014
After it was suggested I get one of these I did, being a bit skeptical that it would be better than either a spoon or regular whisk. But having used it for a few months now I can say that this is a great design. I wonder how old the design is. As you lightly whisk, the beginning of each turn appears at first like you're just spooning the dough when the weight of what you picked up suddenly causes the dough to fall through the loops, breaking it apart and mixing better than a spoon or whisk would. This is especially helpful for recipes that caution you to not stir too much since more can be done with fewer strokes.
on February 3, 2014
this works better than my old whisk. No problems, good construction. I got the small one and it is big enough for making a loaf or two of bread or cookies or whatever. I don't think I'd want the big one unless I was like really pumping out stuff for like... a group or something.. Where I was doing multiple batches of stuff on a regular basis. I am a dude so I have a lot of arm strength but I am able to use this to get brioche dough most of the way to kneaded. it really passes through the dough well, then again I like the exercise and don't have a stand mixer. when it finally turns into glue-dough, then i start slapping it around a little. But yeah good stuff. There's kind of a hole where the metal rods feed into the wood, and stuff gets stuck in there sometimes but it's not a really big deal. it would be sweet if that was sealed though, since I am cooking with raw eggs often, but I mean... I'm sure it's fine.
on July 10, 2013
I am an avid baker and bought this on a whim as the description was grabbing and the item was cheap, so I figured I wasn't to be out of a lot of money when this would invariably prove to be a let-down.
Surprisingly enough it actually works as amazingly well as blurb promises. With many cake doughs I have despaired of whisks and hand-mixers (I don't own a fancy machine) and resorted to wooden spoons, which takes forever. This strange looking little whisk does the job extremely well, mixes even heavy breads without the dough getting caught in the spiral but it falls off easily. Mixing ingredients together now only takes part of the time it used to, and it is much easier to do.
I basically use it every time I make cake now, finally a gadget that does what you hope for.
And I suspect it will keep doing this forever, since it is solidly build with the most basic of materials, a wood handle and a heavy duty wire whisk. I doubt I'll be able to break this, it might just be passed down in the family as my grandmothers rolling pin was.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.