Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 128 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 193 reviews
on May 12, 2011
I have tried to by a Plasma TV for 3 years now, but I always ended up with a LCD. I recently have been looking for either a Panasonic or Samsung 50" Plasma for either my office or bedroom. I have a 52" 650 series Samsung 1080p LCD in my Home theater Room that has great color, HD Detail and overall quality. I have done alot of research on Plasma TVs and found that the fore-mentioned brands above, are the best rated. I debated the 1080p VS 720p issue and came up with the truth that, 50" and below sizes,720p will give you as good a picture on HDTV as 1080p. Reason, most signals that are sent, are originally 720p anyway. If you are not using a blu-ray player often and if you are 4-5' away, you will tell no difference.

Finally, almost a month ago, I got an email from Amazon that had the 2 brands on their Sales Ad. I really wanted to try the Panasonic Brand, but the best deal was on the Samsung. Being that I have several Samsung Products now and know the top quality of the brand, I chose the Samsung PN51D450 51" 720p for under $700.00 and ordered it. Delivery was about a week, timed appointment, white glove delivery and a nice knowledgable friendly delivery person. I had read about the "burn in" issues with Plasmas, but with pixal shift and a scroll bar, that is not a issue any longer if you follow the 100-200 break-in period. Yes, it is a pain, but it is well worth it. You can find written instructions online on how to setup your Plasma before the seemingly, never-ending break-in time. You need to find a channel that doesn't have a logo in one place, like a cable information channel, and just let it run. I put mine in the bedroom, so I was running it 17 hours a day and with that, it was almost 2 weeks before the 200 hours was done. Most experts recommend the 200 hours. Once that is done, you may go in and adjust all of the settings to get the UNBELIEVABLE PLASMA PICTURE YOU HAVE HEARD ABOUT, from the experts !!!!!

The Samsung is about 20lbs lighter than the Panasonic and that is a plus. This Plasma is one of the lower priced ones that Samsung has, but you are only missing the "add on features" that have nothing to do with the picture. The most debate for me was, did I really need 1080p. For the usage I have for this set, 720p is great and it saved me several Hundred Bucks and that is a plus.

If you don't have the desire to wait a couple of weeks to "break-in" the set, buy a LCD. If you want to own and see why all of the experts say that the Plasma is the best picture, try this set. I think that you will be happy with the picture and I know you you will find a use for all of the money you are saving.

Overall, I believe I made the correct decision, 1. as good a picture as you can find
2. over 20lbs lighter than comparable brands 3.a 51" Plasma for under $700.00 !!!

Just another fine Samsung Product.
33 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2011
I have bought a number of flat panel tvs in the past and was looking a new tv with decent performance with a small bezel and fairly light as I needed to fix the tv to a plaster/concrete wall. Plasmas tend to give significantly better bang for the buck compared with LCD, so while the LCD TV were typically 10lb lighter for a 50" screen, the cost was in the region of 50%+ higher for the same form factor.

I did look at the LG plasmas as I have a 60" LG 1080p in my main viewing room, as I found them to be solid quality and good value. I nearly bought the 1080p LG 50" which was only 10%-15% more than this unit, but was put off by the fact that it weighed 60lb v 50lb for the Samsung.

I don't need internet connectivity as I get internet content from my TiVo, so the base model suited my needs. As for 1080p v 720p, at my viewing distance of 12' I understand its not possible to tell the difference - this is certainly consistent with my experience. The picture quality is very good - the biggest constraint is the quality of the feed from my cable provider. I avoid watching SD content where possible so have limited experience of how the Samsung does here.

As for plasma burn-in issues, I have had a bunch of plasmas and have never had an issue with them watching regular TV. I can't comment on the sound quality as I use a separate receiver.

All-in-all, this is a great tv, with very good picture quality and smallish form factor for a great price.
on June 17, 2011
I wanted to buy a 42" flat screen for my bedroom and was deciding between this TV and the Panasonic VIERA TC-P42X3 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV. I don't watch that much TV in my bedroom so a 720p is just fine and I've read you can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. I have also heard that plasma is the way to go over LED and LCD (best picture quality of the 3). The Panasonic model does come with an ethernet port which can take a separately purchased wireless adapter so you can get apps like Netflix, Facebook, etc. on your TV screen. However, a lot of the reviews complained about screen glare. Plus, I bought a Samsung 50" 1080P plasma for my family room in 2008 and it works beautifully. So I went with the Samsung...

The TV looks great out of the box and the stand is very sturdy. The only problem with the stand is that it does not swivel from side to side so you have to pick up the tv and move the stand if you want to change the viewing angle. The plug and play setup is a breeze and you can be watching TV within 30 seconds after plugging in the power and HDMI cable. It only has 2 HDMI ports but for me that's not a problem because I have one going into my Direct TV and the other into a DVD player. I watched Band of Brothers on DVD last night and the picture quality looked great. You can notice a window or sunlight glare if it faces directly on the screen but just close the blinds if this really bothers you. If I put it up side by side with my Samsung 50" 1080p plasma I might be able to notice a slight difference but I doubt it. Overall this is a solid TV for the price and is a perfect TV for the bedroom.

PS - remember to buy the cheap HDMI cables on Amazon. They work just as well as the expensive ones!
on June 26, 2011
Product was shipped and protected. The day after I placed my order I got a personal call from one of the store owners and he personally thanked me for my order and asked if I had any concerns or questions. I was very impressed and pleased and will repeat my business with him and that company.

After looking for a TV for little over a year, reading comments in Amazon from regular Joes and Janes and from all the TV aficiandos and listening to my co-workers, I decided upon this TV mainly for the price and that it was a plasma.

I have experiences with LED/LCDs and decided against them because of the "fake look". The new plasma's such as this Samsung is incredible. The picture is beautiful for movies on Netflix, Hulu, and Dish TV. Playing Xbox 360 such as Halo Reach, Battlefield 1943, and Call Of Duty 3 is flawless.

Of course the price was unbeatable for little over $600.00 for a 51" TV and the price for the extended warranty was priced right also. I bought it the moment I saw the price. This TV replaced my 2007 57" rear-screen Hitachi which still works, but some issues prevent me from enjoying it such as the TV shutting itself off. Very strange. This does not bode well with me especially after watching a horror flick. lol.

The only thing that I didn't think about was that the new TV has only an audio jack for an fiber optic cable. I have a 2001 Sony 800 watt surround-sound system so my first thought was, "there ain't no way that my Sony has a fiber optic input". Well, there was one although I had never noticed it or I didn't know what that plug was for. So I got a 12' FO here at Amazon for $10.00.

If you haven't heard sound through a fiber optic, you're missing a big part of the picture. Since I've been in high school (late 70s) I have only used RCA jacks. But the fiber optic is incredible. The sound replication is about as good as it gets. The first show that I watched with this new set-up was "Cheers". Now knowing how many times I have heard this intro song to this show is no big deal to me but upon listening to the show through my surround-sound / FO cable was like listening to a brand new show. I could hear the arrangement of the song that I had never heard before and it was crystal clear and very well produced. Same goes for many shows through Dish TV and Netflix. It improves the TV watching experience.

One last comment. I didn't do the 100 hour break-in. I don't see a need with this new model but the only thing that I did was turn up the brightness slightly so I could watch TV. The day I had my TV I was watching it preset controls and nothing but dark scenes which made it unenjoyable. I treat my electronics with respect so I don't see any problems with doing this and no problems have arisen. All is good.
on January 31, 2012
I have had this TV about a month. First, the negatives....Amazon emailed me the name of the company that would deliver it. I guess for big ticket items, this is normal. That company gave me a 7 day window for delivery. Not much help, since I can't take 7 days off work for it, and who wants it left on their porch? Repeated attempts to call were put on endless hold. Emails were not replied to. Now I'm in the delivery window. Stressed. Finally got someone (in their collections dept-which seems to have more staff). They gave me the name of another company that they assign to deliver it!! I can call them to get an appointment for delivery. Great? No! Eventually got someone (after 3 days of calling, and now 4 days into delivery window). Speaks broken English. They TELL me a date for delivery (outside of the window I was given) and a five hour window. They said they'd call an hour before delivery (didn't). Amazon emailed instructions that I should open the order and inspect for damage in the presence of the driver. But the driver would not wait and just dumped it and dashed off in a hurry. Bad experience all round. But the TV is a beauty. Easy set up. If you play around with the settings, the image becomes even more superb. Sharp colors jump off the screen. Simple controls. Does not have as many options for connecting DVD and VCR as some TVs. When I connect my computer via HDMI, the TV says "mode not supported" and won't work, unlike my other TVs which I can play my computer through. Wal-marts had the same TV in store but $50 CHEAPER last week, and no delivery stress. Just pick it up and go...save money and hassle! Will not buy big ticket items through Amazon again. Amazon is great. But not ancillary companies they use. See second comment for some specific advice.
on October 8, 2011
So be aware that I'm not a videophile that is going to notice every little detail. I wanted a TV for the living room, not a product that I would obsess over and proclaim it's vast technical superiority to everyone I bump into. It's for watching movies; I don't need to marry it.

With that said, it's been a great TV. It's sharp, (in some ways, too sharp... actors are more attractive when you couldn't see their pores) and the color is great. I've never noticed blur or anything else that anyone might complain about. I've used it for the occasional video-game session as well, and there's no issues; it works well.

The TV mounted perfectly, has enough connections, and the menu system is simple enough to figure out. It's a solid, quality product, and people who come over to watch a movie aren't complaining. Neither am I; I'm more than happy with it.
on December 3, 2012
When I was searching for TV's I had a budget of $1000. I researched for a lot longer than I should have looking at LCD's vs. Plasmas vs. LED/LCD's. I wanted a TV that would give me the most accurate colors, best image quality, best gaming experience (Xbox 360), and best movie watching experience. Time and time again I saw that Plasmas deliver the best for these uses. You go to Best Buy or some other big box retailer and see all the TV's on the wall and the LED/LCD's look the best by far. But that's because they're on super eyeball-bleeding brightness because those stores are so bright. The Plasmas look terrible there. But bring a good Plasma back home and put it in your living room and it will give you amazing colors, rich blacks, and amazing detail. LED/LCD's for the most part make things look to fake I think. Anyway, I ended up with this TV for about half my budget price and couldn't be happier. The community at Avsforum.com is what won me over. Everyone raves about how good the panel is in this cheap TV. And they're right. I've had this TV for about a year now and its been awesome. 720P, even at 51in, looks great. You seriously won't see the difference unless you're watching a Blu-Ray movie that is very graphically intense and made for Blu-Ray watching. If you have this TV you really need to check out the owners thread at avsforum.com for calibration specs and details: [...]

Only con I can think of about this TV is that it does NOT have normal audio out. The only audio out is optical. At this point I'm sure there are newer and cheaper models but this TV has been great. (I see its $749 right now, I got it for around $500 last year).
on July 29, 2011
I love this Samsung TV! Great TV. Great picture and great sound. I bought it from Amazon.com on June 18, 2011 and received it on June 23, 2011. It works great. The remote control is easy to use. It changes channels very fast. It only takes 1 second to change channels. I have no problem with glare. I watched TV during the daytime and nighttime and I see no glare. I was always worried about glare but I see no glare. Let me say my #1 choice was a Sony but it was too expensive for my budget and it was also a smaller 40 inch TV. Panasonic was my second choice because I already own a 32" Panasonic standard tube TV. Samsung was my third choice and cheapest price of the three brands. But I am very happy with my purchase. I always wanted a 42 inch TV and the Samsung TV is 1 inch bigger. I got FREE shipping from Amazon.com. Amazon.com Pilot services delivered the TV and set up the TV in 10 minutes. The sound is great. I usually watch regular TV shows with volume set at 20 volume level and I hear clear sound. I have my regular DVD player connected to the TV using an HDMI cable and the DVD picture and sound is amazing. I use a 5.1 surround sound system to watch DVD movies. I use the TV speakers to watch old classic TV series on DVD. The TV has bright beautiful colors if you set the picture control to DYNAMIC MODE. Turn off the SRS surround sound on TV and set sound mode to MOVIE MODE for loudest volume sound from TV speakers. The Samsung customer service is very friendly. They helped me connect my DVD player using an HDMI cable to the TV set. You will not regret your purchase. I didn't.
on November 4, 2014
Within about 8 months, something malfunctioned from inside the television, creating a bullethole-like crack in the bottom right corner of the screen. The exterior of the screen was still perfectly smooth to the touch, and the television was mounted to the wall where it could not be bumped or affected by any physical impact at all. Despite this, Samsung refused to honor their warranty.

Now, about 3 years after I initially purchased the TV, the screen just went black. Kaput.

A significant investment should last more than 3 years. The interface was fine, and the picture on the television was great, but the product simply did not last and Samsung did not honor a simple 1-year warranty. Never again will I buy any of their products.
on October 16, 2011
I bought this after a lot of research on 42" class sets. I use it in a guest bedroom that doubles as my football mancave. My cable hookup does not include a box with any high def capabilities in this room. I have that setup in my living room with a 1080 set. I was concerned that my picture quality would suffer, especially at 720p. Boy was I wrong. This set has some new technology that picks up all my favorite stations in a DTV Cable mode. The picture absolutely rivals my 1080 set with high def. Not exaggerating. That being said, the stations that are standard broadcast signals do suffer picture quality in comparison to the others, but not enough to warrant negative feedback. I was also concerned about plasma vs lcd etc., no problem since this is in a room I can darken with blinds to eliminate glare. I love the thin frame which provides a little more picture image and looks high tech compared to most. I really appreciate that there is no pixelation lag during fast motion live action.
Connection options and overall features are great. I have no problem with sound quality in a small room, but would quickly add an external audio system if this were my primary entertainment system.
When it comes time to replace my living room set, I will seriously consider a larger Samsung plasma unit with 1080p. I couldn't be happier with this purchase so far.