Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New playlist Christmas Soul STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 11, 2012
I was looking for a television with the following parameters:

- between 36" - 42" diagonal length,
- LED back-lighting (very thin form factor),
- 120Hz refresh rate,
- name brand,
- immediate availability.

I found this set by Samsung, and even though the refresh rate was only 60Hz, it appeared to be the one that best fit my requirements. There was cheaper model from Philips that offered 120Hz refresh rate, but it would take 2-3 weeks to deliver.

The picture quality is very nice and the refresh rate is fine. There is no ghosting or artifacts of any kind.

However, just before the 12-month warranty expired, I noticed some "stuck" pixels - pixels that were stuck on a single color and would not change. Unfortunately, they were located in the middle of the screen.

I filed a service ticket with Samsung on their web site and they referred it to a local repair shop. I called the shop and they kept me well-informed of the progress of the service ticket. They said that there were some parts that were back-ordered and they would call me when the parts were available.

A few days later, they called to schedule an in-home repair and gave me a 3-hour window. The technician arrived early in the window and replaced the LCD screen. I was very favorably impressed with the modular design of the set. He opened it up, removed a couple of circuit boards, replaced the screen, and then reassembled it. He was very knowledgeable and was in and out in less than 20 minutes.

Since the set was still under warranty (barely), there was no charge for the repair.

Very good television set, great warranty service by Samsung.
on April 10, 2012
After much deliberation as to what size TV to purchase, I decided on the 40" because of the size of the room. As always, I made my purchase through Amazon. The order, shipment and the TV were perfect. Easy installation, great picture. I now own three Samsung TV's, all purchased through Amazon. What more can I say?
on December 26, 2011
I'm a big fan of Samsung LED displays whether it's a TV, smart phone, or tablet. I spent several weeks researching different Samsung models to determine a model to purchase. I decided on the 5500 because of its combination of features and price. I wanted a TV that was equally pleasant to observe as a PC monitor or TV. The Samsung did not disappoint. As a PC monitor it displays up to 1920X1080 resolution. The stunning TV quality limits the amount of opportunites to use it as a PC monitor because I can't get my wife or kids away from it. The TV is networkable either wired or wireless. It was very easy to set up the wireless connection since it supports wireless protocols: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, authentications: open/shared/wpapsk/wpa2psk, and encryptions: WEP/TKIP/AES. The one nit I had with the TV was that the Samsung Wireless LAN adapter is sold separately. I've been using it heavy for about a month now and I'm still discovering new and exciting things I can do with it. Samsung obviously values the user experience. I'm glad I bought this TV.
on May 31, 2013
The quality of the picture is good. Sound is very good. Provides multiple HDMI connections. Can connect to PS3, Laptop, sound system.
on September 21, 2011
Excellent television, amazing color. Television arrived on time however there was a scratch on the screen. I guess that is what they meant by "like new" condition. Overall I'm happy with my purchase.
on November 23, 2011
I am by no means a TV expert. Like many people, I read a few reviews and thought this was a good price. I have had the TV now a couple months and it seems great; picture, sharpness, contrast, quality, sound (I am no audiophile though!).

It was relatively easy to set up. Pretty much plug and play, even though I got turned around once or twice. The instructions were pretty clear, but left out 1 or 2 little things.
on November 4, 2011
This is my second samsung led LCD, I bought a 55" last year. I love them for both the great picture but also the very low power draw
on December 7, 2011
I'm not very TV savy, but watching it, the image is crystal clear. Almost as if it was 3D or as if you are watching people in person. The only issue I had was it didn't come with the screws that allows you to mount the TV. Seller was very helpful in sending me some, but they still weren't the correct ones. Ended up buying my own
on August 11, 2011
I purchased this exact TV at Sam's Club but thought I would leave a review here. I have owned the TV for about 6 months and have had quite a bit of time to play around with everything so I thought I would write a quick review.

Picture:
First off, the picture quality on this TV is excellent. I can't say I'm a picture purist or anything but everything I have plugged into this TV looks good. Blu-ray movies through my PS3 look great. PS3 games also look great. I have even had good luck with lower quality sources such as my old VCR (yes, I still own one) and older video game systems such as my PS1. There are some picture filters which help to clean up some of the noise from lower quality sources and my older Sony 47' LCD doesn't clean them up as well. The one drawback I will say is that if there is only one item on an entirely black screen, such as a video game menu or something, the whole screen will be pretty dim due to the way LED dimming works. I think this is probably true of most LED TV's and is different than my regular Sony LCD so I thought I would point it out.

Audio:
Audio quality is pretty good for such a thin TV. The speakers are not visible from the front and sound much better than my older Sony. I'll probably still end up getting a sound bar since I am an audio purist. The one thing that really irks me in this department is no headphone jack. There is an audio out but that doesn't work well for headphones at all. This problem is not only with Samsung, many newer TV's have omitted a headphone jack. How much could it possibly cost to add? I'm sure many people would find it convenient.

Other:
Do not pay for the overpriced Samsung wireless network adapter. I used the Rosewill RNX-N1 from newegg for roughly $25 and it works perfectly. Updating the firmware via a USB stick was a breeze. The Samsung hub is a nice feature. Netflix streaming works well. Also, I like the ability to load .avi movies onto a thumb drive and watch them straight on the TV. No more needing to hook up my laptop and mess with getting up to pause, etc. One final thing to note is that being an LED lit TV, it puts out almost no heat. This is a bonus for the smallish non-air-conditioned room that I use it in.

Overall:
This isn't the cheapest LED TV but it seems to hit the value proposition well. It is full featured and looks good. Overall, I would buy it again and would recommend to others.
on May 18, 2011
I was not sure when I got this tv that I would like it...but I do..took awhile for me to adjust to the LED picture and the size. My other tv was 32" LCD. The blu ray movies are just wonderful to watch on this tv. I have had some problems with some Samsung products before and took a chance with buying this tv. So far so good!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question