Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno Industrial Deals

Showing 1-10 of 577 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 641 reviews
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2011
I purchased this because I was very unhappy with the new Canon A3300 that I also purchased just a week before this one. I did extensive photo tests with both cameras because I felt the Canons overall sharpness was bad. Both cameras are 16mp and although i'm a Canon fan I have to say they failed on the A3300. Even with setting custom sharpness, contrast and saturation, the normal straight out of the box settings on the Panasonic were way better.

The two big problems with the canon were most photos even bright outdoors had way too much noise. The other problem was no matter what setting and focus type, only the center areas were in ok and i mean ok focus. All four corners of the photos were on the blurry side and that's just unacceptable. Compared to this Panasonic...wow, much better and much sharper. When fully zoomed in there was a bit of noise but its expected. Night shots depending on how you take them also have noise but again depending on how and what you can work around it a bit.

There are minor differences with the two cameras like the zoom smoothness was a bit better on the canon and the user interface and menu screens were also a bit better on the canon. Not a deal breaker at all because I'd rather have quality over cosmetic things. The other minor things i found were that the Panasonic has the af assist light very close to the top corner of the camera where you put your fingers. Also the on off and photo/play aren't buttons they are switches which i'm a little worried about breaking so we'll see how they last.

One of the biggest differences is that this camera is faster. I found that saving photos is almost instantaneous on the FH25 but on the canon it was about a 4 sec pause to save before you could take another (a "busy" icon shows up. Most of all the functions on the FH25 are faster and i like being able to grab the camera and take photos quickly.

Overall i'm all about quality and sharp photos and this camera does that. If you don't care about the spare battery cost or that the user interface and menus look like 20 years old, i think you'll be happy with this camera.

Photos for the most part are well exposed and using the full Ai seem to always come out perfect. There will be a slight bit of noise in certain shots but sharpness is never an issue. The whole thing about higher mega pixels is better isn't completely true, its all about the sensor size. Do some research about that as I did but believe me, this camera really does a great job. I've posted a few sample photos.

UPDATE 8-17-11
Still loving the picture quality of this small camera. I even tested out the new Canon SX230 and again this FH25 was sharper and photos were exposed better. The full iAuto setting is amazing and it really
does a great job, I've taken photos with it that I will be publishing in my second book next year. That's how good I feel the quality is.

Update: there are batteries available for only $10.00 making this camera a great choice.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
3838 comments| 683 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2011
Lot's of positives for this camera:

Advertised as 8x optical zoom but that's video. It's 10x in photo mode, 22.5x if you employ the digital zoom as well.

16.1 mp is amazing for a camera in this price range. I actually used the max digital zoom and still got good resolution photos.

About 2 dozen scene modes (portrait, beach, sunset, etc) that work well and are easy to select. Text scrolls across the screen explaining its use as you you move from mode to mode.

Very easy to use. About 1/2 hour with the manual and camera and you can understand and begin using all the features.

Image stabilization sems very effective. I shot every thing hand held even at max zoom and liked the results.

Great battery life. I chrged it 1x on a week vacation but that was just in case. Could have gone all week with 100s of shots.

Like most digitals the camera has very little built in memory so you need to buy a memory card. I chose the PNY 16 GB that has more room than I think I'll ever need.

One negative this camera shares with most point and shoots: you miss a viewfinder in very bright sunlight. But the screen is bright enough to make it manageable so I still rate this very highly.
55 comments| 341 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 11, 2011
This camera has really impressed me!
In the past I had a really old sony cyber shot that work ok but never did a great job has I've always wished. I've seen how Canon Power Shot work, delivering pictures that have great colors and focus very well, with no blur at all. However the price of the Power Shot, when I was comparing cameras, were way higher than this Panasonic lumix. They offered less MP (14 MP and 12 MP vs 16 MP) and just half of the zoom (4x vs 8x). So, in terms of features and price, between Canon and Lumix, the Lumix is a better option.
The intelligent auto mode works GREAT as a "point and shoot", it has a very fast shutter speed! and focus great!. If you want to play more with the features like amount of light or enhance colors, the Lumix has already options to make it even easier like "candle light" mode, "food" mode, "sunset" mode, etc, and they work very well. Also it has a panoramic mode that helps to make nice panoramic shoots although it doesn't acoplate the pictures itself.
I also have to say that if you don't have basic knowledge of how to manipulate the menus of any point and shoot camera (like my old sony cyber shot), it could take just a few days to discover everything that this camera can do, but when you do you will be amazed! also the Optical Image Stabilizer works great! but you have to pay attention on have it ON, otherwise it won't work, of course!
And last but not least, My brother and a friend, both professional photographers, each own DSLR cameras, they both agreed that the lenka lenses have the best quality in the market wich the lumix has.
Finally, I always wanted a point and shoot that would allow me to "play" as a professional photographer and take interesting and nice pictures. This camera has done that and more.
So, in summary, I would totally recommend this camera, beyond expectations!
review image review image review image review image review image
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2011
I haven't had this camera for very long before writing this (only 1 week), so I'll update in about a month. So far, however, it's exactly what I expected. I was going to get the Nikon Cool Pix, but that had too many bad reviews. So I bought this one. I tested it just once by taking photos INDOORS under flourescent light. Photos came out better than I thought they would. Digital screen is bright, and has settings that even allow you to change the angle of view in case you're holding the camera above your head.

The other reason I bought this is the size and ergonomic design. I need a small, decent camera to take around w/ me for misc parties and such. I have another, much better Canon SLR, but that one is big, bulky, heavy, and as such difficult to keep inconspicuous. In the past, when on vacation or in another country, I was often the center of attention when I pulled out the camera or traveled on public transportation. That could be quite dangerous. So, I opted to buy this camera. Has a nice, attractive design, nice blue color, but not so nice that it looks like it's $1000 bucks. And if it's stolen or I'm robbed, I'll be mad, but it's not as if it'll take $1000 bucks to replace! And I could hide it while traveling. It's small enough to put in your pocket. It would bulk up your pocket, but it's much safer than carrying around an SLR around your neck.

Some of the cool features is face recognition technology. It actually puts a square around people's faces! It will focus on those faces. That feature I did test and it works. The few photos I took were very clear, focused, color was as true to the real scene as I could tell. And I only used a setting that saves 5m of information.

Most features are easy to get to quickly, using the menu buttons and such. There's even a feature that allows you to set a "normal" scene setting if you know you use it a lot. This allows you to go back to it quickly if in a different scene setting.

One con is that some features aren't available depending on the scene you're using. That would be fine, except that it will take a few months of using the camera to really get familiar w/ what you can and can't use depending on the scene setting. The instruction manual is unfortunately on CD-ROM in pdf format, so if you're away from your computer and you need to look up a feature to remind yourself how to use it, you're out of luck.

But those are cons I'm willing to live with. I didn't expect this to be as good as my SLR, and indeed it's not. There is no manual focus, for instance, the flash is somewhat limited. But I didn't buy this camera to have manual focus and a good flash. I bought it to be able to hide in my pocket, travel w/ it, get quick, high quality-in-focus pictures, and not worry about replacement value. My initial tests confirmed I can do all of that and even more.

So far, so good.
22 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2017
The year is 2017 so this the camera is already 6 years old. I have used it for nearly a year now. In 2016 I found it on a shelf in a thrift store with no battery, cable, or charger. It had nothing. The condition looked okay so for fun I paid the $7.00 for it and ordered the cable, battery, and charger latter on Amazon. I won this gamble as the camera was still working perfectly fine. I have a much newer and more advanced camera as my main camera so I got this one for the Cheap Camera Challenge as seen on DigitalRevTV on YouTube. Also as a photographer no matter how cheap a camera is it is better than nothing so in situations where I didn't to have my more expensive camera exposed I could feel fine being more reckless with this one. I have used dozens of cameras of all kinds and I think this one is one of the most surprisingly good compared to my expectations. I thought I would just have a bit of fun with it for a while pushing the limits of trying to do advanced photography with it and expected to eventually get sick of its low quality or lack of capabilities. It never got old though. It grew on me more and more even. Now I am even a little bit protective of it because it has served me so well. I have had it in my pocket every day for a year now and take at least a few to tens of shots a week. Durring or after photo shoots with my main camera I would take this Panasonic out to see how it would handle what I was shooting and have been pretty surprised a few times. I was upset when I let someone use it and they dropped it scratching the screen and lens pretty bad and yet I still use it for fun. It still works through being heavily used. I am better than most people at maintaining and being careful with equipment though. My sister in her 20's for instance would break or lose it in a month or two.
This camera does not have a proclaimed manual mode but it does have manual controls in "NORMAL PICTURE" mode. You can lock the ISO to 100,200,400,800,1600, or iISO (intelligent auto ISO). ISO is the censor sensitivity and the higher the number the more sensitive it is but the more distortion you get. It is the same for all digital cameras. On this camera I would not recommend going as high as 800 or 1600. I just keep mine locked at 100 ISO for cleanest results. Also always disable the digital zoom for best results. Digital zooms are technically not a zoom but rather a crop meaning less and less pixels, lower and lower resolution and the resolution is not to bad on this but if you are going to crop do it latter on the computer to see how much quality it will sacrifice.
I don't feel like writing much more about it. My pictures can say the rest. No crazy photoshop or anything but I did use Picasa to adjust the brightness, shaddows, highlights, color, and saturation to my liking. Since not everyone does the post processing there is an unprocessed one for example. The non-processed one is the one with a hand reaching toward a red Chinese lantern. Now trust me there is no such thing as idiot or novice proof in any camera. I have taken some badly failed shots with this because I push the limits and experiment a lot. These pictures are an example of the best I could do with the camera at the time. Again I am totally surprised at its performance and ability to be manipulated into making good images. I am totally satisfied with this product as I was able to achieve very good things with it.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on June 3, 2011
This camera is fantastic! I bought it because a friend asked me what I thought would be a good first digital camera for a beginner around $150.00. When he RAVED about his I decided to get one for myself. I have been using a Lumix DMC-FZ15 since 2004 and have had great success taking thousands of pictures. I thought the new DMC-FH25K would come in handy as a pocket size option. WOW! not only does it take incredible pictures, the VIDEO is superb! And that includes audio, folks! OK it does not have the battery life to take more than 1/2 hour of video, but it is not designed as a full feature video camera. It is a pocket sized snapshot camera. And that it does superb as well. The gobs of preset scene modes cover just about everything I need. The "Food" setting provides brilliant color on close ups with no flash, and the "Sunset" setting gave me some breathtaking results. Out here in Arizona, daytime shots can be challenging in the extreme bright sun. No problem with the DMC-FHK. Just choose the "Beach" scene mode and WOW! I recently took stills and video of an Oath Keepers Memorial Day Event (to honor USMC Jose Guerena in Tucson) and posted the results in a youtube video in less than one hour! [...] AWESOME LITTLE CAMERA! BUY ONE NOW!
on October 18, 2011
*** ALERT: This is NOT a technical review. ***

I spent almost a year reading about different point-and-shoot digital cameras.

Talked to a few professional photographer friends for their suggestions and input.

Had a few cameras on one of my Amazon wishlists for a while before removing them after a couple of months because I didn't feel the same way about them after the time lapse.

Tinkered with a few point-and-shoots at every electronics store I found myself in.

Two weeks ago the list got narrowed down to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH25 and the Nikon Coolpix S8100. Back to an electronics store we went. I struggled with the menu on the Nikon, then it dawned on me that what I really wanted in a camera was simplicity without too much of a compromise on features. When I picked up the Lumix DMC-FH25, I liked it instantly. The locations of all the buttons felt right. The flash was not in the way. Without access to a user guide at the store, I pressed each button and figured out what its purpose was. The husband glanced through a few of the MANY available shooting modes and was pretty impressed. I ordered the camera from Amazon a few days later.

This camera is perfect for my needs. I don't want to be a professional photographer. I don't take pictures to enter them into contests. I don't intend to decorate our home with poster-size reprints of landscapes. I don't mind at all that the Lumix DMC-FH25 doesn't have a lot of room for manual maneuverability. I do like -- very much at that -- that this camera was easy to learn (with a little help from the husband because I got impatient, lol). I am excited about the shooting modes (the one named "Food" made me laugh out loud)! I also like that a simple description scrolls across the bottom of the LCD screen when you select each shooting mode, so you know what the mode does best. I like that it's small and it fits comfortably in my small hand. I am also pleased with how quickly pictures are taken and stored so I can move on to the next shot (I ordered Transcend's Class 10 8GB SDHC card with this camera).

There are SO MANY digital cameras out there. If you want something simple with a few bells and whistles but will not frustrate you with a steep learning curve, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH25 is worth considering.

UPDATE on 11/25/2011: Still enjoying this little powerhouse of a point-and-shoot digital camera after a month of use. Experimented with Normal picture mode to an extent and decided my photography skills are simply nothing to write home about, so I switched to iAuto mode full-time. Uploaded two pictures taken yesterday (Thanksgiving) and today in the image gallery for this camera. The Thanksgiving picture is the one of the coffee mug and flowers. The other picture is of our Lab/Shepherd who was just trying to take a nap in the sunlight that poured into our kitchen.

Video-taking with this camera is also easy to manage. Yes, you cannot zoom in or out while shooting the video. Some may find this an annoyance, while others will not be hindered. I have taken two 30-second videos with this camera so far and the playback quality is excellent. The camera's mic also picks up the volume of chatter in the video more than capably. Color reproduction is sharp and vibrant as well.
review image review image
on September 5, 2012
This Camera is so cool! I can't go into great detail with this review since im not too camera-geek-savvy so to speak but I can let you know what I have learned. I purchased the silver, just love the color, I also did not want to have to worry about paint chipping off or getting scrapped and finding another color underneath.

I've had this for a few months now and like I said I am not to savvy but I have learned a few tricks and I am still learning as I go. The camera is small enough and is not really heavy or bulky in the right case. I did also get a screen protector for it.

What I have learned- You can use this as a video camera too. I like how I can choose to zoom in really close or zoom out all at different stages. Also I have kids who refuse to stay still long enough to get a actual pic taken so this has setting for that- how cool right?

The differences for indoor/outdoor use or lighting uses. This has all of that covered and does not take a whole lot of effort to figure that out. I still am struggling to get it to do some of the other neat things like switching from one thing to the next. I blame this on my lack of experience and NOT reading the manual.

Charging- It has one of those flip plug chargers where the plugs that go into the outlet snap in when not in use and out when you need to plug it in. This is a bonus because the prongs will not get bent up when you storage it.

The battery- Takes a few hours like most rechargeable things to take charge. I get a good few uses and a couple of hours each time. I have only had to charge it 2 times since I purchased it, but I do not sit there and spend all day taking photos either so I can't really give a specific time frame.

This is definitely a very cool little camera for anyone who wants one that can do a little bit of everything for not a big price.
on September 28, 2012
I'm a couple months out of the warranty, and to fix the internal lens issue that create a blemish on all photos they are charging me 120 + shipping to replace it.
Last time I go with this company. Customer service said it is not there problem. I have barely even used the camera!!!!!! Shame on Panasonic

Go with a different company
55 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2013
I've had the Lumix for a while and have been pleased with it until I recently noticed several fine vertical scratches on the lens (some are more like a dashed line ----). Each photograph, especially those where I've aimed into any kind of light source, have hazy white lines in the center of the photo. I couldn't figure out how I could have scratched the lens since the cover retracts automatically when it's not on. I am very careful with my camera and keep it in a lens case when being carried around. A little research turned this up: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lens-scratches/forum/Fx39Y385WF8RDUQ/Tx1ZBKB3Z7Z73R8/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B001T0H0RG. Apparently lots of other people have had this this issue. The scratches are due to a defect in the camera shutter which scratches the lens each time it closes. When I listen closely I can hear it making contact with the glass. I called Panasonic and spoke to Otis, a supervisor in their Camera Repair dept. and, as expected, he told me that I'd have to return it for repair at a cost of $128. He said "defect or not, it's out of warranty". And that's that. I will not be returning it for repair at that cost, of course. Nor will I ever buy another Panasonic product.