Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Style Name: Without Equipment Mat|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,270 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,365 reviews
on October 22, 2011
As an apartment dweller I was so pleased to find this (thanks Sky Mall magazine for the idea, but bigger thanks to Amazon for having it at a great price with super saver shipping too). To be honest I was skeptical as to how sturdy this product would be and as to how much of a workout it would give. I have not been disappointed at all and in fact more pleased than I thought I'd be.

It was easy to assemble, but must say that the instruction manual gives WAY too many diagrams of parts, etc. that aren't needed to assemble it and makes it look more intimidating to assemble than it really is. It comes with a wrench and Phillips head screwdriver/Allen wrench and that's all you'll need. It took me about 45 minutes to assemble, but had the instructions been simpler it would have been more like 30 minutes. I keep the tools handy and check the assembly points from time to time and give it a little snugging up, but it's not as if the bolts are really loose. It's just me being a tradesman's daughter and raised with the idea of preventive maintenance. It compacts and moves easily with the small wheels on the back - I can move it with one hand.

And as far as getting a really good workout on this bike is concerned, by the time I'm hitting levels 4 and 5 I'm really feeling it and need to have a small hand towel nearby to use along with about 24 oz of water for a 60 minute workout. I typically cycle about 1500 miles each year so it's not as if I'm just starting to incorporate bikes into my fitness routine. The seat is very comfortable and the back support is wonderful. I don't find myself dreading the idea of finally getting to 60 minutes because of the comfortable seat and back. It's so quiet to the point that you don't have to raise your TV volume if you like to work out that way and if others are sleeping you don't have to worry about waking them up due to noise.

I've found most home exercise equipment computers to be relatively unreliable. Caloric burn depends on body weight and other factors that you can't program in (versus higher end bikes at a gym) so you can't really rely on that. The pulse function is somewhat accurate, though I find it to be about 10-15 beats higher per minute than what my pulse rate really is. Better to rely on an analog clock for 15 seconds x4 to figure that one out, but the computer gives a general idea. I simply keep it on the timer function which is accurate.

I recognize that as a piece of home fitness equipment with a relatively low cost (compared to gym level equipment) that it may only last a couple of years. That being said, it is easily much more cost effective than a gym membership even if you had to replace it every couple of years, esp. if you have other fitness equipment at home you can use to cross train and vary your workouts. Highly recommended!

Update: January 2012 - still loving it. Continues to operate quietly and smoothly. I continue to check the assembly points on a weekly basis and snug them up as needed with the enclosed tools.

Update: Mid-March 2012 - due to the mild winter in the Northeast it's cycling season already! I was able to do my first ride of the season in the same amount of time it took to do the same ride at the end of last year by using this bike during the winter months. Since it's a different design vs. a road bike I was wondering if the right muscles would be conditioned and was happily surprised to find that they were. I cannot begin to emphasize how pleased I continue to be with this product.

MEASUREMENTS WHEN COMPACTED: Back leg to front leg - about 20", back leg to the frontmost part - about 27", widest point (handgrips) - about 24", height - about 47". The footprint of this unit when compacted is about the same as a standard kitchen chair.
review image review image
5150+ comments| 1,368 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2014
Very nice. No problem putting together .Exactly what I was looking for. Use it everyday.
review image
on January 26, 2013
This is a pretty good recumbent exercise bike, but...

It is advertised for people up to 6' 2". That is my height and it is much too small for me. FYI I have a 32" inseam. Beware if you are over 6'.

Like other reviewers' bikes, mine came with a damaged decorative plastic cowl. In fact, the flywheel initially rubbed noisily against the transparent part. Thanks to other reviewers who mentioned this could be adjusted by hand. After doing adjusting the transparent cowl, the gray plastic housing would not hold together (a stripped screw perhaps). The manufacturer or Amazon probably would have sent new parts, but I didn't want the hassle and just used heavy tape to hold it together. Looks fine.

Because of the above, I would have sent it back but I didn't want to face the disassembly and attempting to repack it in the box. Probably a couple of hours of work to return it on top of the time invested already.

Fortunately, another reviewer (Robert Bissett) mentioned in his review building up the seat with foam and in correspondence helpfully suggested that a yoga block or two (4" high) would be helpful. I experimented with a yoga block and it works well for me, although it looks weird. I'll post a photo. You may not believe that it feels ok but in fact it does for me. The "sit bones" fit on the single block as shown in the photo. I may need to do more but had a pretty good workout on it today using the yoga block on the stock seat. It feels MUCH better getting adequate leg extension.

Also of note, the pulse monitor doesn't work. No matter, didn't intend to use it. Like another reviewer, I just count my pulse for six seconds and add a zero to get my bpm.

In addition to the above, I'll add that I agree with other reviewers who say this is generally (with the exceptions noted above) a well-built unit. And it is very quiet.

So, for the cost of the bike plus the yoga block and a little tape, I have a satisfactory exercise bike. But just three stars because I've had to fiddle with it quite a bit to overcome its defects.

And now for something kind of special, not necessarily limited to this bike. I already had a standing desk purchased from Amazon, the "Drive Medical Non Tilt Top Overbed Table." I'm not providing a link because Amazon so often removes them. Costs about $50 bucks shipped. It's a nice unit for standing work with your laptop or tablet, and if placed carefully can be used with this bike. Since there is so much research on the hazards of sitting too much, I often work standing at this desk/table and now I can bike at this desk. Remains to be seen if I'll actually do this, but it's nice to have the option.

I'm posting photos showing both the yoga block on the seat and the "Drive Medical Non Tilt Top Overbed Table" with the bike.
review image review image
77 comments| 267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2016
When we received the package the box was ready to fall apart. The cardboard was torn and pieces began falling out once we brought it inside the house. That may or may not be by fault of Exerpeutic but it definitely made me nervous. Luckily there wasn't anything missing and it was relatively easy to assemble – my wife did it all by herself without a problem. Upon using the bike it was apparent that it didn't arrive unscathed. The left heart rate monitor handle was damaged (see photo) but it didn't seem to affect the bike's ability to measure heart rate.

My wife and I used it almost every day for about 2 weeks. One morning while I was on the bike I noticed a clunking sound coming from the left pedal. I wasn't sure what it was but I couldn't recreated the noise by hand, I had to be pedaling in order for it to start. At first my wife couldn't hear it, the noise didn't happen when she rode it, but it steadily grew worse the more we used it. I wouldn't say we were hard on the bike, we just pedal kind of causally while watching Netflix or something, but the noise got to the point that neither one of us could stand to ride it. I don't know if it failed on its own or if the rough state it was in when it arrived on my doorstep had anything to do with it. I contacted Amazon and they quickly ordered a replacement and picked up the damaged unit free of charge. I will update this review after using the replacement for a few weeks and let you know if the clunking returns. Hopefully not, because we really like this bike and want to keep it around.

Stuff I really like about the bike:
- Compact, fold up nicely
- Easy to set up for a short ride when I have time
- Easy assembly
- Sturdy construction and design – I didn’t feel like it was going to bend or tip while I ride
- The back rest is really nice for sitting back and watching Netflix while exercising
Cons:
- Wheels don’t work at all on carpet, so moving the bike can be hard given that it’s heavy.
- The seat is a little on the firm side. My butt gets sore around the 20 minute mark
- I’m 6ft and about 190 lbs and the bike is just a hair too short for my legs, even with the seat adjusted all the way up. It’s not a big problem, if I were a more serious cyclist it might bother me but you get used to it.
review image
on April 7, 2016
I bought this bike almost two years ago, and I've put over 1800 miles on it so far. I has been the best deal on a piece of exercise equipment that I have ever purchased so far. I'm a short female with bad knees, which is why I switched from walking to cycling as my primary form of exercise. It also helped me re-gain ground after knee surgery. The ability to increase the tension on the bike has given my legs the strength they need to allow me to fully join my family on vacations to places like NYC, where whole days walking and standing are required. And since I hate having to go to gyms and try to exercise amid strangers and loud music, this bike has enabled me to get a good workout at home, no matter what the weather. I did notice that the plastic case surrounding the drive mechanism cracked open along the seam fairly early on. After a couple of halfhearted attempts to close the crack with duct tape, which failed 'cause the tape didn't want to stay on, I gave up. Despite this, the bike seems to be working just fine, though. The seat is wide and roomy, and you can adjust the height fairly easily. But, since I need to keep my legs relatively unbent while on the lowest pedal position, the seat is a bit too wide to allow for a comfortable seat with back support, without hitting the back of my thighs too much - but luckily, a foam block placed behind me on the seat gives me the back support I want, while perching more forward on the seat. Works out great. Anyway, this is an unbelievably good price for something that has lasted nearly two years with constant use (well, at least 5 days a week, anyway).
on April 23, 2014
I've been using this for a few months now. It's decent.

Pros:
----
Stable. I can type and ride at the same time.

The rollers are essentially no good on carpet, so be prepared to pick it up to move it.

In its folded state it's not really that small. It certainly takes up more than "a corner in the room".

The resistance levels are pretty good.

Assembly was fairly easy.

Cons:
----
There's no backlighting on the screen, so if you're using this at a standing desk (like I am) you may not be able see your progress easily.

The connection that monitors HR through the hand grips was incomplete, so I could not hook it up. Not a big deal for me because I'm not paying attention to that anyway. But, it does show a poor quality control procedure from the manufacturer. Couple that with other reviews and you may be steered away from this. If it was something more serious, I would have sent it back.

Update (2014-04-24):
----
The bike has started to make a sort of clicking sound (like affixing a playing card to your real bike so that it hits the spokes of your tire as you ride). This happens while going fast on level 4, or while riding on levels 5 or 6. I haven't heard it on 1, 2, 3, 7, or 8.
on February 15, 2017
You have got to be kidding me, I've had this thing for a week. I usually try to find gently used exercise equipment to save money, but I wanted a new recumbent bike so I could be assured that I was getting a piece of equipment that worked well, and was most importantly, quiet. I figured that as long as I took care of it, I could keep it in quiet working order. After a having it for a week it is squeaking from somewhere in the belt area. So now every turn of the pedal is an annoying squeak. So now I have to tear my brand new bike down to try to locate this annoying squeak, and hope there is a way to fix it.
If you want to buy exercise equipment, don't buy it online. It's too cumbersome to try to take apart and send back to Amazon. At least if you buy it locally you can just take the assembled equipment back to the brick and mortar retailer. I'm not sure why this bike has so many good reviews, it's junk. I just hope I can get some of my money back selling it used. I will not be purchasing anything made by Exerpeutic (Paradigm) again. They make junk.
on May 15, 2016
For prospective, I'll begin by saying I'm a 56 year old woman and I assembled this alone. First, although the assembly manual illustration looks completely intimidating, theres only three bolts and washers that aren't already seated. The rest are already in place, they just need to be fastened. The difficult part about assembly was attaching the handlebar alone since you need to hold it in place with one hand and secure the bolts with the other. I put it together in a very leisurely hour. The needed Allen wrenches were included. No additional tools required.

This is a significant, very sturdy bike, it's operation is whisper quiet and the seat height is easily adjustable. It is well-made and am impressed with the product's very affordable price. the only reason that I didn't give this five stars is the seat. While one of the photos appears to show a seat with a contoured surface, the seat is hard and flat. It was tolerable but not comfortable. I've ordered the Sunlite bicycle gel seat cover, western to hopefully add a bit more comfort to the ride. I'll try to update this review after I get the seat cover. The one thing I do love about this bike is that it is surprisingly quiet.

I wanted a bike to which I could add a table hold my iPad and a beverage. I wanted one that was foldable, adjustable, could tilt and fit with the bike. I found the Platinum Health PHT2500 Acrobat Professional Overbed or Laptop Table with Tilting and Height Adjustable Casters. It's mast is adjustable for height and tilt. In place, there is exactly enough room to pedal while clearing the mast and the casters and can be pushed away for easy egress. There are plenty of pictures of the assembled bike already posted but I'll add a few showing how it can be combined with a table for multitasking.

So now instead of playing on my iPad and watching TV from the sofa, I use my screen time as exercise time too. This bike is a winner.
review image review image review image
on April 14, 2016
Don't know if this company is out of business but it's been impossible getting new parts for this bike. I've called...they don't answer, left 2 messages no response. I've emailed...no response.... Used website...no response. Bought this bike last year, not used much and already crank has no tread and can't screw back on. So until it's fixed it's useless. This was my exercise after knee replacement and much needed right now, totally frustrated with this bike!
on September 5, 2015
Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike: I am 5'2" (60yo woman) and have not been able to pedal or sit comfortably on this bike. The seat is very large and hard and cuts into the back of my legs (on the down swing) no matter how far forward I skooch (you can only skooch forward so far then you're too far over the pedals)...and my poor tailbone aches after just a few minutes. I have tried adding 2 layers of an old yoga mat (for another 1" of padding). I have also tried a number of pillows and still no relief. The front edges of the seat continue to cut into the back of my thighs on the down stroke. I think a regular bicycle seat would be better (and unfortunately this bike is not adaptable to one). If I had the tools I would try to build a different seat (with cut-out where your legs need to travel). Other than that, the bike is very well made, quite and study. While it arrived with a damaged part, Exerpeutic sent me the replacement quickly and at no charge. It was easy to put together with 2 people (I could have done it alone, but why when I had willing help available LOL but then I am mechanically inclined). Yes it was a bit intimidating looking at the parts page of the instructions; don't let that throw you! The majority of the bike is pre-assembled!

I want so badly to use this bike! Unfortunately the seat is so uncomfortable I do not use it.

Pros (thus the 1 star rating): Very well made! Quite. Great customer service. Stable, not tipsy. Easy to put together.
Cons: UNCOMFORTABLE SEAT (and I have plenty of padding back there LOL)!!! No alternative for other seats. Very difficult to move the bike side-to-side on carpet. You have to be careful not to grab the control panel when moving (no really good way to grab it). Console could use back-lighting.

Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.