Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 25, 2012
This is a great little box for the money. I had to drop my dish network when they raised my bill to triple the original price! We decided to let the service go. This is the first box I have tried and it gives a great picture! I have tried a couple of antennas and so far I only get 9 channels but that is much better than 0! I plan on getting an outdoor antenna and hope to be able to get more channels then. But for the money this has been a great investment!
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
on August 3, 2013
I have a Supersonic (Ikonvert) sc-55 converter box which I purchased several months ago. (I got rid of cable). I had the volume on 100%; and, as someone else reviewed, the volume burnt out. I think the converter got too hot. It still has sound, but I think it went back to factory reset (70-80% ?) That's alright. I use the volume control for the TV. I now have 4 or 6 inch table fans next to some of my electronics that run hot. This works. Otherwise, I really liked this converter and everything else on it works great. For me, it pulled in more channels than the RCA and Zinwell, both of which I returned. I wanted another one. I have a 20 yr old analog TV and old VCR and I wanted to record on one while (using a splitter) watching a different channel on the other. I received the new sc-55 on 7-31-13. I still had the first packing box. The wording was identical. The converter itself looked the same except for the back. Instead of S-video and smart antenna inputs, it has HDTV (HDMI) and USB inputs along with the coaxial in/out and red, white, yellow inputs. Also, the first unit has analog-pass-thru. The new one does not. In reading the manual, it says it is a PVR MULTI-MEDIA TIMER RECORDER!! I didn't know I would want this; but, I do. I have timer recorded (using a memory card I have for my camera) and playback was great. It has bugs. (See Iview 3500 and Homeworx 150). Mine seems to have the same software. (identical menu and problems). On 8-1-13, I emailed Easy Buyz (seller-fulfilled by Amazon) and Supersonic. No reply from either. On 8-2-13, the basic converter (as described on Amazon) was on Supersonic's website. On 8-3-13, they no longer show any converter box. And, on this date, Easy Buyz no longer sells it. No support. It needs firmware updates. I am returning it to Amazon and getting the Homeworx 150. Both Iview 3500 and Homeworx 150 have the firmware updates to solve the same bugs. Iview website, Mediasonic website, and AVS forums have lots of information and help. (Also, I had put the volume on 85% on the new box and used a fan. No problems). For about the same money, I get a converter box and PVR rather than just a converter box. In retrospect, I am glad I received this new box. I now know what I want. Same thing, just another brand. If you order the sc-55, I don't know what you'll get (the model number is the same). Good luck.
on January 3, 2013
I have owned and used many of the available Digital Converter boxes out there. Shelf life for most is not long, they simply just die after regular use and especially if left on all the time. The same may happen (eventually) even for this little gem. But I was impressed with its increase in obtaining signals (which others did not obtain). I was impressed with the expanded TV guide and full menu of the current show and future TV guide per station. There is no better guide than this. None. In fact, some digital converter boxes do not indicate any future shows that can be scrolled through and it even offers reminders of up-coming shows to watch or record. Another very important feature of this box is the S-Video out which exports an even clearer, shaper and nearly high definintion signal (to your VCR or DVD recorder) that has superb picture and volume control.
The other impressive feature is pass through technology, which allows the signal to continue to be sent without the box needing to stay on, thus , will allow longer life for the box. When the box is on and to touch the box, there is little heat generated. Lastly, the remote control features and nicely designed buttons allow FAV (favorite stations) to use rather than channel up buttons which go through many stations you never want to watch . Just by pressing the FAV up or FAV down button quickly takes you to your next selected channels you will watch on a regular basis. the other important feature of the remote is the signal strength button, which can be vital If you are using an indoor antenna to bring a station in at its best angle when aiming the antenna near a window or high spot in the room. Signal strength is important if you are recording shows and do not want a weak signal or the interruption of signal. The remote does need to be directly aimed at the box, otherwise it will not send the command. The setup and menu features are easy to use and fairly quick to understand and navigate.
This box and its manufacturer spent some time to develop a good product , users needs and better quality aquiring of stations as well as TV guide for the consumer. I plan to buy another one just to have as a back up for the future. A good price for a above average product !
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
on April 24, 2013
I decided that cable TV was too outrageously expensive and that for the most part, I only watch the basic stations. Being a news and educational TV junkie - I found the cable stations less interesting and packed full of commercials. Therefore I decided to reduce my FIOS TV/internet/ telephone from $147/month to Internet(with triple speed)/telephone to $86/month and to add Netflex streaming for another $8/month. Between the converter with antennas, I now receive between 45 to 48 stations per TV set.

This box is easy to set up and works well with antennas. While the reception is not as good as cable, the difference to me is not significant enough to justify $61/month premium and the netflex steaming with a Roku box provides a substantial addition of movies (over 10,000) and old TV shows. If your needs are as mine, get this converter box.
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on December 25, 2013
So, one day this thing stops working all of a sudden after channeling through the on screen guide using the remote. The screen turns to gray and now black. I changed out batteries, unplugged it and no change. Signal light on unit changes from red to green, but the screen remains black.

No customer service number to call nor any warranty info. I had this unit for 8 months. Buyer beware. Afterwards, I looked at reviews with similar experiences and see that I am out of luck on getting any sort of refund or assistance. My first really negative experience buying through Amazon. They should remove this product from website.

I will be looking for something more reliable from a known brand. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TJ
on March 18, 2014
This started having issues only a few months after I bought it, getting stuck in same channel for an entire day, then fixing itself the next day (when I started to shop for a new one..)
Menu screen went blank a few months ago and I couldn't tell what channel I was watching or what was on next (I had to use my phone for this) and it suddenly died this morning 3.18.14, I bought this 3.1.13 so I had about a year use out of it, but considering what I had paid, I'm really disappointed with the product (my original one from Walgreens with gov't rebate, lasted a good 4 years from June 2009-Feb 2013) considering all the problems it was having as soon as I bought unit, I should've seen it coming.
on January 1, 2014
Overall this product works as advertised. The recording feature which allows your to plugin a USB Flash Drive or other USB Storage device and record to it has issues. It works much like an old VCR allowing you to record once or the same show/time each week. The problem I have found it for some reason the show may record one week, then for no reason it changes the time and date the show is to record again. If you do not keep checking each week you will miss your show. Also it will NOT record and let you watch another channel. It switches channels to record again much like an old VCR. As for the recording itself, it tends to shudder/skip during the recording process. I assume this is due to the USB port possibly being a USB 1.0 and not a USB 2.0 (I could not find documentation to which it is). The remote only works if you point it directly at the unit and is not a universal remote and so far I have been unable to program my universal remote for this device (no code for it that I can find). If your not looking to record anything with this it works well.
on November 21, 2012
I ordered the supersonic SC55 based on it's price and reviews. The unit I received was a ikonvert SC55. As far as I can tell this is the same item. If you are using rabbit ears or another type of directional antenna, you will need to do several autoscans to determine the best position for the antenna. On my first scan I was pleased to see I had received several stations. And the picture quality was pretty good. I did several scans to tweek the antenna and found that every time you do a scan it erases the previous channels you received and replaces them with the ones that can now be received with the new antenna position. After maybe 10 hours of use, when I did a channel autoscan all I got was a grey screen and then 10 seconds later it returned to the last channel I was watching. What this means is that you are stuck with the channels last found in the channel scan. With no way to ad channels even though you know there are some you can receive but are not in the unit. And if a new station starts broadcasting you won't be able to watch it.
on April 22, 2013
We all got those hokey converter boxes in the begining of digital TV, they didn't work much. We are giving up on Satalite bills, so back to the converter box, THIS one works great, easy to set up, easy to work, great picture, 21 local chanels come in! The surround sound even sounds better than it did with the dish. Would definitly recommend this converter.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on March 6, 2014
This came with the faceplate missing. I contacted Amazon. They were willing to give me a refund, but I didn't want to since the unit worked and the problem is cosmetic. Amazon also gave me a website for the manufacturer. I left a message there, but never heard back.

I bought this because I wanted to see if I could get some free TV. I hooked this device up to an indoor antenna and my TV. The result was about 5 channels. Several of those were in a language I don't speak. I live in a hilly place in the suburbs, so I blame the poor results on my location. I'd probably have to put an antenna up on top of my house to do better. For now, I'll continue paying for cable TV.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.