Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 3, 2014
The Brother printer works well and we have not had any trouble with it. However, it is very difficult to see the message in the tiny box describing the various directions that the printer will perform. It is so dark, that we have to have a lamp nearby in order to read it. Why couldn't it have a back light so that the box is easier to read. It would also help if the cover over the glass plate would remain open so that you can position the paper or book without it falling over on your hand. Otherwise, we are satisfied with the Brother.I am also hoping that the toner replacement is easy to install.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on June 22, 2012
My mom needed a new printer/scanner. I researched and came up with a few possibilities, and this one got the nod.

Her typical use is on the order of 95% "copy machine" 4% computer printer, and 1% scanner. (Scanning is almost always with help over screen share.)

This machine is difficult to find in brick & mortar stores. We called them all in her area with no luck... and as there was really no rush, she ordered with the free shipping option... and the machine arrived in about a week. It shipped from the Phoenix area.

I helped her set it up via long distance screen share (she's in PA, I'm in CA). I downloaded a copy of the manuals off Brothers web site so I could better "play along". Set up went smoothly with no significant hang up's.

She's a Mac 10.7 user, and we discovered no software installation was really necessary. Her Mac already had all the necessary printer drivers, and Apples stock "Image Capture" application nicely handels all the scanner needs. Used as a "copy machine" the machine works independently

She reported it prints and copies beautifully... the print dialog box looked complete and straight forward. We did some scans, and they looked great as well. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the scanner uses LED's as it's illumination source as there was almost zero 'warm up' time required.

She said printing was a little noisy but reasonable... and it's unlit display & control panel are both straight forward.

Yes, a long distance review, hope it's helpful. I won't even go into her last inkjet printer/scanner that took days to set up, and after that she was never happy or comfortable with.

Myself, I have a separate scanner, and Brother HL-2140 stand alone laser printer, of which I'm also very pleased.
18 helpful votes
19 helpful votes
on February 13, 2013
I got a great price on this through amazon and of course the free 2 day shipping was great as usual. This printer is very simple and your regular run of the mill laser printer. This has a scan function and a copy function. That is pretty much it. You can't fax or anything else. But thats what is so great about it , it is simple. Just push one button to scan and one button to print. There is less chance of stuff breaking since it is so simple which I like.
10 helpful votes
11 helpful votes
on July 25, 2013
I don't normally take the time to write reviews, but I love this printer, so I thought I would write something!

I have a MacBook Pro (running OSX 10.7), and the drivers included on the installation disc didn't go up that high. I ended up spending an hour online trying to find the right drivers (1 for the printer, 1 for the scanner), installing it, then rebooting the computer a few times for it to finally work.

But, when it did, I was so happy.

I use it every day for work (I work from home). It's super fast. Once it's all connected, it takes 30 seconds to scan something and have it appear on your screen. And in terms of printing, I seriously just hit the print button, stand up and walk over to it, and my document is there. So fast.

It's not very noisy (my infant son sleeps in the next room and has never woken up when I use it). I wish it had WIFI and I wish it wasn't so heavy, but other than that, I love this thing. Especially when you consider the price. I shopped around for a few models, but I love this one.
4 helpful votes
on February 14, 2014
I thought the set up was way more complicated than any printer I've had before, (Canons). My biggest complaint so far is no light to see if the power switch is on or not, so sometimes it gets left on overnight. I've just begun to work with the scanner, and so far that seems unclear to me as well as far as dealing with how the scanned object is handled, or stored. I have no opportunity to review the scanned object for approval or editing before it's sent automatically to my Pictures file. I miss those features. I've not yet had occasion to use the copier. Overall, a bit disappointed but hopefully it will make up for these missing things in it's overall performance and longevity. My others lasted several years.
2 helpful votes
on March 17, 2014
I have used brother printers for years. This replaced a brother mfc 210 ink jet that gave up the gost after six years. This laser printer is pretty basic and requires usb connectivity. The set up was realitevly easy. It is attached to a Macpro laptop. Although the supplied disk did not cover the operating system of my mac. the laptop automatically when on line to find the updated software.

The printer prints just fine. The double sided printing is a plus. If you do not need color printing then this would be a fine choice. Replacement toner cartridges run around $50.00 and can print around 2500 pages. I even found a high yeild replacement cartridge on Amazon for around $7.00 with free prime shipping. I will rate that toner cartridge later once I use it. The scanner and copier work well also. This is a single page scanner/copier.
on February 16, 2014
Super useful and easy to set up. It's scanning abilities and straightforward instructions make it really nice to use. I got it for college just in case I couldn't use the on-campus printers and it's come in handy over and over again. I totally recommend it if you have the funds. It's really sturdy and I haven't had issues with it yet. I got it more than a year ago and still haven't had to replace the ink.
4 helpful votes
on August 7, 2014
Plug and play! Yes and yes. Plug in the power cord - plug in the USB cord - proceed. (Install software of course) Immediately print with touch of 1 button (item placed on scanner plate). Scan, through Brother software - and open with your own photo or like program - print. Print from all programs you have (check). Excellent quality. Front door access to printer toner cartridge - easy slide out. Easy access to paper tray. All controls on top panel - simple to use (no deeply buried menus). Such a pleasure - just what I needed - and at an affordable price. Thank you Amazon and Brother - hopefully this will be my last printer purchase.
on March 23, 2013
I bought this about a month ago. I chose it based on consumer reports ratings, and I am very pleased with it. I have no use for a color printer or picture printing so I love that it is cheaper because it is only black and white and has a duplex option. I still have to figure out how to copy a multiple page document. It might have to be done one at a time, but it's only for at home use so it should be fine. The freshly printed pages do smell funny, but I don't mind. For the price it's a great buy.
2 helpful votes
on February 23, 2014
I really do love this item and use it as my main printer. Although I haven't used it yet, it does have the nice feature of being able to make a copy without turning on the PC. I have had a Brother device before and loved it - worked very well and lasted a long time until my home was struck my lightning when it was damaged. I was looking for a Brother item to replace it and found this one. I am very satisfied with it - great functionality, quiet and a great bargain for the price. I recommend this to anyone looking for a good quality multi-function device.