Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 24, 2011
If you are like me and just tend to be rough on things around you (especially technology) then this is the phone for you. I mean being able to go under water ? Dropping it from 5 feet to the floor? Come on, now that's just freaking awesome when what your talking about is your phone! The camera and video quality is good for your phone 5mb, and the android user interface is super user friendly. If you are having any doubts about this phone, don't, its freaking awesome.

This phone also comes with some pretty cool custom apps exclusive only to this phone, so if your an outdoorsy person like me you will get a kick out of these apps!

The only thing I would recommend is upgrading the 8gigabit mini sd card to a 32gigabit mini sd card. Other then that though, I have to say I love my new phone!!!
on August 26, 2013
This phone is another over-hyped P.O.S. I have had this phone for 2 months now after following a strong suggestion from a Verizon wireless representative who promised a strong indestructible phone, which I will say is the only worthy feature on this phone. I can never send emails from this phone as I get a "cannot connect to server" message and to date have still not sent a single email from it. It constantly alerts me to voicemails and text messages that simply don't exist. This phone always has trouble displaying a web page. Worst of all I get about 6 hours of battery life after a full charge and that is with turning off Wi-Fi and not using the phone for anything other than just to see how long it could last on stand by. The phone comes with plenty of already installed apps that you cant get rid of and they run constantly also depleating its battery life. Shouldn't you have a say in which apps can stay or go on a phone that you have paid for? If you are an iphone user like I was don't fall for the hype on this phone as the grass is not greener on the other side and now I am stuck with a virtually useless P.O.S. for the next 22 months until I am eligible for an upgrade. Phones should have to go thru some kind of aptitude test to be classified as a smart phone to which this phone would fail with flying colors. I should start using turds to make calls and email because they stink the same. DONT BUY THIS PHONE !!!!
on January 30, 2012
My Droid (v1) died so I tried this phone for about a week. I was impressed with the rugged specs, but had a few issues:
-the touch screen isn't as responsive as the one on the two year old Droid.
-voice recognition: biggest problem and the reason I returned the phone is that voice recognition would not work if the phone was in motion. The microphone worked fine for phone calls, but neither Google voice search nor the preloaded Nuance voice recognition feature worked if the phone was moving faster than 5mph. I reset the phone to factory settings and did some basic testing (no bluetooth connection, only app I installed was Google voice search). In the car with the motor running and radio on for background noise, voice recognition worked. The microphone picked up what I was saying. Car starts moving, the microphone won't listen. It's not like it hears but doesn't understand; it just doesn't activate. I did this several times and got the same result. It's like a built in safety feature that you can't disengage.
on March 16, 2014
Grandson had an old cellphone (Boulder) which worked okay but the usual story, ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE...and he was the last of the gang without at LEAST a 3G Android...which is what this is. The seller sent us a unit in like new condition. How much dropping it can take we will see, but he promises not to drop this one (his boulder survived two Boy Scout summer camps). The new 4G replacement may be his next quest-to which I will say MAYBE NEXT YEAR. As with most 14 year olds, he will get the Boulder back if he drops, drowns, loans out and lost, or whatever this gift.
on May 17, 2011
2nd Review...When I first reviewed the commando I was super excited. Not anymore. I am on my second commando and its failing. The first phone failed after swimming with it and the speaker went out. Then I dropped the 2nd phone onto concrete and the lens broke. I had it fixed by a third party for $129 but it hasnt been the same since. Button after button breaks down. Its not nearly tough as the 1st Gen Gz-zone phone of mine. Plus the Android is a pain if you are a mac user.

1st review.. I have been waiting for a rugged smartphone that is less than $1200 for a long time and it is finally here. I was on t-mobile for the last 18months and broke three of their phones and I am so happy to be back with g-zone and verizon. The phone is lighter in your hands than you think, the display is very clear, love the dual locks and the super fast slide text feature. The g-zone apps are really cool, use the pedometer one every day and enjoy that. The downside with verizon is they don't work in Europe so this isn't an international phone which is a buzz kill. But if you are staying in the states no worries, other cons is this android isnt an plug and teather to a Mac, so I am still working the bugs out on that. The great thing is this phone can be dropped, kicked, submersed and be on a job site and you never have to baby it. For that it is priceless. I also can check my email, surf facebook, and have apps that direct me to Mt. Everest or tell me tides on my favorite beach. The phone gets a five stars, the service a three. Fyi, I bought it on Amazon wireless which saved me a $100 from walking into a verizon store, this costs me two days of waiting for the shipping, had to make one call to their help center and had to pay $10 to the verizon store to transfer my numbers. In the end a positive experience.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2015
I Am a little slow to all these I phones the one I got had a small issue with it. So I had returned the first one and without any Qs I was givin a phone that was functioning properly , I only found out the first 1 had some technology problems( apps) and like I said , I am not so Savey at I phones. But very pleased with the service I have received. Keep it up you guys are doing a GREAT job. Sincerely Terry D Klink
on December 30, 2013
all i need is a phone to last and this phone does. had mine for two years now and that's a record for me. not for the tech savvy. it's big, heavy, and has a tiny screen. not a gps. once out of service area the gps is useless. but it makes calls and doesn't break and has a charging dock so all i gotta do is drop it in it's dock and it's charging. for me i will keep this phone till it's dead and then probably buy another. love the charging dock, love the fact that i don't have to worry about getting it wet or dropping it. it has a working compass and it makes calls. that's all i need. only four stars though cause it's heavy and it's a phone
on March 16, 2015
Love the phone. I bought this one for my wife. She was upgrading from regular flip phone. It is nice that we both have the same phone so we can teach each other. She has actually helped me more than I thought I was going to help her.
on May 13, 2014
I purschased the Commando 4G as an upgrade. It has been a problem since I purchased it.

A Verizon tech said they cleard all data and installed the latest upgrade.

There is no change in the operation of the phone and it locks/freezes up several times a week.

It doesnot help to contact verzion tech support.
on November 4, 2012
This is a absolute must for those of us who tend to drop and/or forget that we have our phones and they go through the wash or we get thrown in the pool with it. Also great for jobs in the construction zone, the phone is durable and mine has with stood many falls onto the carpeted floor or on concrete. I once even dropped it into a bucket of water while working, I freaked till I realized that the phone was perfectly fine thankfully. I used to break phones but this one has lasted me half a year and i have had zero problems with it.