Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: VIZIO VBR133 3D Blu-ray player with Internet Applications
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on July 16, 2014
WARNING! After talking with customer service for 45 minutes. (date 7/16/2014) we were informed that Vizio no longers makes Blu-ray players and therefore will not be making any more additional updates available to existing owners. This is a huge problem because the new blu-rays and 3d discs have updated firmware that must be installed in order to watch your disc! At this time, the newer movies being released this year will no longer play on this player. After spending $30 on the new RIO 2 3D for our kids, we just discovered this. Very disappointing. But wanted to put review on here so others don't waste money on an outdated product that won't work in 2014 and beyond. We've only had our unit 1.5 years and already we will have to replace it. Ridiculous. I will stay away from Vizio in the future all together. They could have chosen to remain loyal to their customers and offer additional updates. I currently have 3 Vizio TV's and this Vizio Blu-ray player, but I will now shop another brand in the future. They were down right rude on the phone regarding this issue.
99 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2011
My $350 Samsung BD player died and I was looking for a cheap alternative that can also play some apps like picasa, netflix, pandora etc. In my search I found Vizio model 122. I liked the features and the price tag but then VBR133 has 3D capability and that was very enticing, although I dont have a 3D tv yet.

Since Bluray has been in the market for a while my expectations from any player were high.

Criteria for a BDPlayer -
- Should load and play blurays quick and fast
- Video and Audio quality should be very good
- Must play apps like Netflix, Amazon, Picasa, BLockbuster, Pandora and more
- Must have a HDMI connection
- Remote should be easy to use and work from a good range (distance, left and righ angles)
- Must have ability to connect to internet (ethernet or wireless)
- Must have a USB port to plug in a flash drive
- Must play jpegs, audio and other video files

This player, from the outer looks, is simple and non-flattering. But once I powered it on it was only a matter of seconds that it was ready.

I have an ethernet-to-wireless adapter. Plugged the ethernet cable behind the BDplayer and within seconds it connected to Internet.

Firmware upgrades were automatic (it asks if you want to apply them) and they completed within 5 minutes. Very smooth operation.

The main menu for the player was very easy to navigate and setting were easy and self-explanatory.

I put in a Bluray and the disk loaded quickly (compared to a Samsung player I had earlier which was supposedly among the fastest to load disks). I played different blurays and all worked just fine. Very happy with this.

What blew my mind was the quality of the image rendered. The video was smooth, flawless, vibrant and more detailed that any other player I have seen or used so far. TV settings remaining the same, the quality of video from this player was much better than other bluray players I have plugged in.

Audio is smooth, in-sync with the video and flawless.

Forward, reverse on blurays is quick, responsive and very fluid.

I connected to Netflix and it pulled my instant list along with other suggestions, genres etc. Navigating it was easy. Playback was smooth. Audio and Video were in sync. Forward and reverse worked smoothly. Again the video quality of Netflix was better than other players.

I played Friends DVD in it and was surprised to see the improvement in video quality over regular DVD player or other bluray player. The DVD was upconverted. Although I could still make out the difference in quality compared to BD, I was still very very happy with the up-conversion quality.

Have not tested the 3D capability yet.

The remote worked from 35 feet distance and from a wide angles (left-right). Design of remote is very simple and sleek. I like smaller buttons. Some people prefer larger buttons. They may not like the remote. But then one can always setup a universal remote to replace this one.

In brief, I have nothing but praise for this player. Time will tell how long it will last. I'll post my feedback after a few months.
on July 7, 2011
Due to the low price and other reviews I was a little hesitant to purchase, however the player has exceeded my expectations.

I have used the player for a number of 3D Blu ray movies and the quality has been just amazing. Well worth the price.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2011
Update: 9/8/11

After several months Amazon VOD is now working.

-------------

I bought this to stream Vudu - Netflix and Amazon VOD. Really liked the individual buttons on the remote. But when it arrives it says Amazon Coming Soon? Sounds like Product Management had a Mental Margarita... Hope it shows up soon or it is going back.

Other than that, I like the unit.

Update:
Here is customer support answer to No Amazon VOD:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent inquiry with VIZIO. I would be more than happy to help you with your concern. Here at VIZIO we do offer best in class technical support.

Vizio identified a performance issue that we are actively working with Amazon directly to resolve prior to launching the application. The update to your player will be automatic as long as it is connected to your home network. There is not a set date of release. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you need any additional assistance feel free to contact VIZIO at 877-698-4946 or chat with us at [...]. Thanks and have a great day!

Ms. Raz Trejo
77 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2011
at first i was a little skeptical of the quality of vizio products because of price, however this is my 2nd blu ray device and i also now own a vizio 3d television. everyone is fantastic so far. i also own a sony bravia television and i consider the vizio television produces a better, clearer picture. also, vizio technical support when i was setting up these devices was great.
on July 21, 2011
Purchased this even after reading all the negitive reviews,"mostly price driven." First I must say this is a great looking player. Size is a bit smaller than others on market :-) . As for the "glue" comments; mine had the cardboard but it was removed easily with no residue. Playback and load times are very acceptable. Didn't link to internet because new Vizio E3D420VX TV is wireless and presents same apps. Remote is straight forward, easily navigated and can also crontrol volume on Vizio sets. Quality is exceptional on playback and will be reviewing many of my movies. Bottom line great product excellent price would recommend to any frugal 3D consumer:-)
on October 14, 2011
I had a Sony Blu-ray player but it suffered from frequent buffering of Netflix Online movies. I purchased this for the sole purpose of improving my Netflix streaming ability. It works flawlessly for Netflix streaming. We get no buffering when the Sony did it so much it was intolerable. But, the best part of this player is the wealth of options provided by the user interface with Netflix. It allows for browsing of Netflix online videos which are NOT in your instant que and it gives you many genres and sub genres to browse. It allows for rating the video as well. This is the best Netflix user interface that I have seen. I am very pleased with this product.
on September 29, 2011
This easy to setup and user friendly Blu-Ray player is simply, SPECTACULAR! It brings the movie entertainment experience, to a whole new level! I absolutely LOVE, having 3D HDTV in my home. I paired this player with the Vizio Theater 3D LCD HDTV w/ Internet Apps, Model # E3D320VX.

Amazon Prime Instant Movies in HD, as well as many other Internet Apps, are 1 click away! The TV remote, which includes a keyboard, also operates the Blu-Ray Player and search functions. If you want the JOY and COMPLETE SATISFACTION, of the latest in New 3D Technology, you can't go wrong with this Vizio VBR133 3D Blu-Ray Player! I highly recommend it!

SHOP AMAZON, WHERE THE CUSTOMER IS KING OF THE JUNGLE!
on August 24, 2014
This was an excellent unit until I bought my son the new Rio 2 movie. As soon as I put it in it was asking for an update to the firmware which I have always kept this up to date and never had an issue. I contacted support today and this was their response:

Me: I have a VBR133 Blu-Ray player and cannot play newer Blu-Ray discs. Can this be fixed or do I need to junk a perfectly good unit because it is no longer supported?

Just a moment...

Jackson:
Here at VIZIO we pride ourselves in providing best in class U.S. based support. I’m happy to assist you today. Does this blu-ray player play older blu-rays that have played in the past?
Me: Yes, it plays them just fine.
I bought Rio 2 for my son yesterday and it will not play. It says I have to update the firmware.
Jackson: The blu-ray player is functioning as intended and will still play older blu-rays, and a firmware update can eventually fix this. This is not an issue with the blu-ray player but with the disc that you're using. It has copyright protection on it, that is prohibiting it from being played until an update is released.
This blu-ray player will update automatically.
Me: Is Vizio still working on updates to firmware for Blu-Ray players?
Even though they are no longer making them?
And if so, how long do I have to wait to watch a movie that has already been released?
Jackson: We do not have a firmware update planned for this particular player, but this may change in the future.

SO support was basically telling me that in order to play the new discs, I have to buy a different player, but I can keep this one to play older discs. Who wants to have to have two players to play the new discs and the old discs.
I am a very loyal Vizio customer, but am definitely looking into a different Blu-Ray player, but will remain for the TV's as they are some of the best on the market.
on December 25, 2011
I bought this Bluray for the internet apps. Hulu PLUS does NOT work! It plays videos and bombs out at the end of commercials with an error that it cannot get past. After being on the phone for an hour with Hulu tech support, come to find out that Hulu plus doesnt work with any of the vizio blu ray players. I trouble shot with them long enough for them to find out where the problem was coming from and told me they should have a fix soon, and patch it to the vizio units.

In the meantime, NO GO. I am tired of buying products with integration. Integration is always JUNK, and then they never update, or are very slow to update.

I'm buying a Roku. If your buying the unit as a stand a lone blu ray player, go for it.. Works great. But, if your buying it for the internet apps, think twice. Ps. I have problems with the amazon app as well. Many times, the audio keeps playing and the video freezes.

11/12/2014 UPDATE
THEY ARE NO LONGER UPDATING THIS UNIT. SO, IF YOU BUY IT, YOU CANNOT WATCH ANY OF THE LATEST RELEASE BLURAY DVDS. WHAT A SHAM!!! I WILL NEVER BUY VIZIO EVER AGAIN. 3 YEARS, AND I HAVE TO BUY A NEW BLURAY PLAYER. I OWNED THE SAME DVD PLAYER FOR OVER 10 YEARS!!