Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 14, 2014
I bought this laptop a year and a half ago for my daughter on her way to college. I liked the low weight, backlit keypads and the fact that it is a Dell. Plus the price was great compared to other models.

I purchased a warranty thru SquareTrade, including drop/spill protection for about 25% of what it would cost thru Dell.

One year of school just about down and the laptop is holding up very well. Compared to others at school (and our Sony Vaio at home) the battery life is great. She's able to do all her standard email, online and other things (as you would expect). Screen resolution is very nice for movie watching. She's even able to log in to the school server and use the NX modeling software for one of her engineering classes on the laptop.

The chrome plastic strip around the edge did break and she's holding it down with a piece of tape, but that's a minor issue and is honestly a lot less damage than I expected considering how beat-up most of her posessions get.

I would buy again in a heart-beat.
on January 1, 2016
on December 15, 2011
I've had this laptop for about 2 months now. i was actually really pleased with it until the hardware started to malfunction. so now when i plug in my charger, it does not charge. it took about 40 mins for dell to decide to send me a technician. this laptop was quite pricey, so i was disappointed it broke down so fast. there are minor issues with the laptop as well. the key board are hard to get use to, and if you play games the laptop often over heats a lot. Dell tried to imitate mac book's touch pad and it failed. touch pad is not as precise as mac book and the surface is rather more ruff then smooth. those are the minor issues i had with this laptop but anything else is good. i honestly think this pricey lap top would not be worth it. it would probably last you about 6 months. the one i have is already starting to break.. i would say go for mac. this laptop would not last you very long.
on December 6, 2011
I bought this laptop in 07/11 when it was newly launched. I must admit that the looks got me. Dont get me wrong, its a decent laptop. Sleek looks, good display, light weight and decent battery life...it had it all going for it. Until one day, out of the blue, when I got a message while starting it up "the battery has been temporarily disabled. Please turn off your computer and try it again when the unit is at operational temperature". Initially, I thought that the system might have gotten overheated, but with a surrounding temperature of <40 F, it didnt seem very convincing. I unplugged the AC adapted and boom...the laptop goes blank. It never worked without the AC adapter (just on battery power) after that. Basically, after searching online, I found out that other owners of this laptop have had the same problem with the battery. Dell doesnt have a good answer for it as of now and ends up replacing the battery or battery + motherboard to solve the problem. They are not certain if replacing parts is actually the solution. I spend a few hours with the Dell tech support and realized that I would have to send the laptop to a Dell depot as my warranty didnt cover them sending a technician on site. To sum up, I am gonna have to be without a laptop for at least 2 weeks because the company didnt want to make an exception of sending someone on site despite it being a inherent defect in the laptop hardware/software.

I am not certain how it is gonna work after it comes back from the depot but I will keep my fingers crossed.
on January 15, 2013
Good performance in most games.
finishes are excellent, the illuminated keyboard is the best option that includes this laptop.
web cam has a very good resolution.
is a good deal for the performance and price.
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 25, 2012
I bought this computer the 23th of August of 2011, one year later the hardrive of my computer died.
I have to reboot the hardrive and fix it.
I thought that the quality was better.
on January 13, 2012
got this in sept and jan 13 it broke--the battery and charger. would like to get this fixed but the only options amazon gives are to write a review or to read the return policy. wish i bought it some place where i could contact someone for help!

Ok, well I ended up sending it back to dell and they got it back to me within a week or two. Then it stopped charging AGAIN so I had to send it back in again. So far now it's been working (now I've owned it over a year so no more warrantly so hopefully it keeps working).

So yeah, my experience with this dell laptop hasn't been that great. I don't think I'll go with dell next time.
on October 3, 2012
The device looks great as far as the design is concerned. A little quality in display would have made it more better. The hardware configuration is perfect for a graduate student!!!
on February 1, 2013
I purchased this for a Christmas present for my son. It stopped working after less than a month. Seller wouldn't take back, Dell said it wasn't under warranty after 3 weeks and the extended warranty I purchased said I needed to go through Dell. So,not worth protection plan and not worth ordering off internet
on December 16, 2011
the laptop had an aluminum casing which makes it look nice as opposed to most cheaply made hard plastic cover laptops. The computer was very fast, and had most features. The only problem I had and the reason I returned it was because of where the mouse pad on the laptop was placed (right under ones right palm). I type fast and it seems that whenever Id start typing the right palm of my hand would braise the mouse pad. As a result the cursor would jump and before I could catch it I had already typed 10 words. So I'd have to erase a bunch of words and get back into what I had broke concentration from. This happened so many times I just couldn't live with it anymore, perhaps its a moot point for most. They should have moved the touchpad more to the left and not so right, right underneath ones palm. Otherwise Id give it five stars.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.