Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 817 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 975 reviews
on October 12, 2016
Good sequel! Key gameplay features include:
Mario's clumsy brother takes center stage in this spooky ghost-hunting and puzzle-solving adventure game
• Five massive mansions to explore, complete with puzzling challenges you’ll need to solve to access new corridors and hidden secrets
• Use the Poltergust 5000, a powerful ghost-catching vaccum cleaner, to capture a host of clever ghosts and creatures
• New gadgets like the Strobulb and Dark Light Device add depth to the ghost hunting and puzzle action
• Collect coins, cash, and other treasures as you make your way through the mansions in order to upgrade Luigi’s gadgets
on December 7, 2015
Got this game on a whim out of boredom and after I started it I was hooked. I loved it so much and couldn't stop playing it. I actually completed it, which for me (someone who gets bored incredibly quickly) it's a huge surprise. The learning curve was gentle, but there were enough puzzles and collectables that it doesn't feel super easy. There are the occasional cheap shot in the game, either in the form of "there was no way to avoid damage" or "that shouldn't have hit me", but they are few and far between. I did finish this game pretty quickly though. That's pretty much my only complaint. Still there is replay ability with the scare scraper, the multiplayer function of the game. And even if the person you want to play with doesn't have a copy of the game, if they have a 3ds they can download a free (limited) version of the game so at least they can link up to your game and play with you. Two copies of the game are not needed.
10/10, this is a fun game.
Side note: I am a 20 year old female, and my two younger siblings (14 year old boy and 10 year old girl) also love the game, so it does reach a nice age range.
on February 22, 2015
I can't say much about how Dark Moon holds up to the original Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube since I've never played it, but I found this game to be a thoroughly satisfying experience. The single-player campaign consists of short levels that ‒ while linear/directed ‒ require a bit of exploration and thinking in order to complete. While they might take a few plays to get used to, the controls are generally easy to grasp and not too complex. Plus, sucking up ghosts with the Poltergust 5000 is a ton of fun. Anyone who hasn't played the first game is easily caught up to speed with how everything works, as Professor E. Gadd consistently reminds the player what to do and how to operate the devices Luigi uses once they're introduced.

My favorite part of the game has to be the online multiplayer, as it adds a creative spin to the already stellar gameplay and encourages teamwork rather than rivalry. You can easily find yourself killing hours here. Hunter, Rush, and Polterpup are all mostly equally fun modes that each have something pretty unique to offer. For Americans, I'd say the best time to play online is during the day. At night, finding decent players can be quite a bit difficult, and there are only a few Japanese people on there. I suspect this loosens up at some point as the time shifts in the Eastern Hemisphere, but I digress. Unfortunately, as with all multiplayer games (especially those with co-op), there are trolls who enjoy souring the experience for others by hurling spike seeds at you for some unprovoked reason, deliberately refusing to step on their tile in Rush mode, or making nary an effort to win. People bumping into you to steal your key and leaving your game before crucial moments can also be a bit frustrating. Be wary of these people!

Basically, it's a really fun game that grows on you if it doesn't impress you initially. There's plenty of content offered here without being overwhelming. Even after two years, the price for this game is still above $20 and it's well-deserved, in my opinion. Definitely recommended.
on September 17, 2013
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a strong title for the 3DS, one with strong gameplay that showcases the system's graphical potential and makes good use of the 3D technology. With a good-length, well-put-together campaign, and plenty of extra collectibles for the completionist, it's a good value for your money.

As Luigi, you explore several mansions that have been haunted by troublemaking ghosts (not to be confused with Boos, who are also present but in smaller numbers). Along the way, you solve puzzles, collect money, capture ghosts, and try to recollect shards of the shattered Dark Moon. The atmosphere is typical Mario-universe, perhaps slightly darker than usual, but with plenty of comic relief at Luigi's expense. It's a perfect style for kids, but I still found myself greatly enjoying the gameplay as an adult gamer, even if watching Luigi jump and shiver in fear doesn't particularly amuse me.

Most of the gameplay revolves around the Poltergust 5000, a vacuum with attachments that would make any Dirt Devil feel outclassed. Full completion of the game requires a thorough inspection of each room with your Poltergust - can you suck up that carpet to reveal a hidden button in the floor? Are there gold bars stashed behind that painting on the wall? What happens if you blow air on the ceiling fan? Every room is very interactive, and your explorations are often rewarded with ample cash.

The game makes excellent use of physics in conjunction with the Poltergust. Wads of paper or cash swirl through the air in the vortex of your vacuum's intake. Cloth realistically flaps, folds, and stretches when pulled on or blown by the machine. Watching the effects of the vacuum is its own reward. I liked that Dark Moon offers more monetary variety than the typical Mario game. You'll still be collecting gold coins, but there are also paper bills and gold bars. Bills are fun to suck up, and the bars are rewarding to find.

The highlight of the game is in conflict with ghosts. You will attempt to stun ghosts you encounter with a burst from your flashlight, and then catch them in the intake gust of your vacuum. Once a ghost is caught in the vortex, it will squirm around rapidly. By pulling away from it, you can charge your Poltergust for electric bursts. Each fight is a visual treat, with brightly colored ghosts and electrical discharges, swirling winds, and lighting effects. Catching multiple ghosts at once causes them to drop extra cash, with huge bonuses when you capture three or more.

Each location has about five stages, including a boss stage, and a bonus stage. The rooms you explore in each stage often overlap, but there will be differences from stage to stage - new treats might be hidden in the dresser, cobwebs might block a previously open path, or new passageways may appear. These changes keep the stages feeling fresh. Each stage (except the boss stage) contains a hidden Boo, found by illuminating invisible objects with the "dark-light device" - a paranormal flashlight. Capturing all the Boos in an area unlocks the bonus stage.

I feel that the mansion setting really benefits from the 3D capabilities. With the 3D slider on, you feel like you are peering into the mansion, a miniature stage set before you. The effect works well, and the game doesn't feel the need to remind you that you are playing a 3DS by using gimmicky 3D.

Give the trailers a watch - if the visuals or gameplay seem appealing to you, this is a must-have.
on April 26, 2017
I am so angry!! I ordered this for my son under the impression that it was the original game - not a Nintendo Selects version. If I wanted the Nintendo Selects version, I would have ordered the copy on Amazon that only costs $21 - I wouldn't have paid $36 for the same thing! This will likely be the last time I purchase a video game off of Amazon. I've gotten nothing but bootleg versions of games and when I purchase what appears to be an original game, I receive Nintendo Select versions.
on January 9, 2015
Delightful fun. Luigi oozes a lovable personality that stands in stark contrast to his blank slate of a brother. The mansions each have a distinct and memorable theme as well, and the obstacles and enemies present a great scale of difficulty that increases with a satisfying pace. The controls are good and intuitive, with each tool easily available and fairly easy to control. The only thing that does annoy me about the control scheme is a constant issue with the 3DS. There are points where it is possible to move the console around to look around a room in the game. Though this is a nice mechanic, this is something that becomes disorienting if the 3D function is turned on.
The only blemishes on this otherwise lovely game come with the linear nature of the levels (allowing for less leisurely exploration of each complex and exciting mansion), as well as the "instruction" (hand holding) that comes in the form of unavoidable messages from the character E. Gadd. Such messages can even actively prevent the player from openly exploring the world when the level in question has a mission to complete.
Still, the atmosphere, art style, and gameplay far outweigh the nuisances of its flaws. Highly recommended.
on April 5, 2013
If you were a fan of the original Luigi's Mansion on the Gamecube then you'll love this game. There are slight differences such as the way the game is structured and some of the mechanics. The game is filled with that classic Nintendo charm and personality. Exploring the mansions in this game is just fun. From hidden cash and gems, to finding the hidden boos. There is plenty to do. I also find myself going back time and time again to make sure I get the highest rating on each mission.

The only complaint I have about the singleplayer portion of the game is that there is a lack of unique ghosts like you had in the original game. That's not to say the ghosts it has do not have personality. They have a lot of personality but they tend to have the same one since they are the same ghosts over and over. Sure you have a few spots that you have some more unique ghosts but those are but just a couple of instances. I'd also say I liked the final bosses of each mansion except the boss of the 4th mansion. They're all the same basic boss but they always have differences to the fights in either how you get to the boss or the mechanics of the fight.

One of the best additions to the game though is the multiplayer mode. You can hook up with 3 other people either online, via local play, or even download play from the cart. The mode has a couple of different options and they are decently fun too. I would like more variety in the floor of the Scarescrapper though..

All that said if you loved the first then you will love this game.It's without a doubt going to remain in my collection for the rest of my life alongside the first game.
on May 6, 2013
A few weeks after the game's release, I was finally able to buy a physical copy.

I play the game in 2D mode, because my 7-year-old daughter likes to watch me play. I don't want to ruin her developing eyes with the 3D mode.

I like how you can pass through most cut scenes, when you want to revisit levels. I like revisiting levels, because you can explore ares and discover things that you could not the first time around.

Most importantly: Learn how to use the Poltergust 5000! If you want to avoid losing your health when capturing ghosts, you can press the B button to jump as each second ticks away. The fastest way is pull back--like you're trying to reel in a fish--and then press the A button. This tactic takes advantage the upgrades to the Poltergust 5000, and allows you to get bonus coins after you capture a ghost.

Also, if a ghost hides in an item...then go search the item instead of waiting for the ghost to pop out. Some ghosts wear glasses, which you have to vacuum off before you can zap them.

When you see mice, spiders, or bats, flash them. This will convert them into money, coins, or gold bars. Vacuuming up these creatures before you flash them does not give you anything.

I've only played through the first four levels in the Gloomy Mansion.

To summarize, I think that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is a great game...that requires button coordination, patience, and some tactical thinking.
on November 11, 2015
This game was a lot of fun. I never got bored while playing it. The pacing is good, the play control is great and the graphics are amazing for the 3DS. It's challenging enough to keep me engaged but not so difficult that it became frustrating. There's also a good amount of replay value in the missions as you try you find all the secrets. I took off one star because once I beat the game, I had no desire to keep playing. I also wish finding all the jewels in an area got you more than just a statue to look at. All in all, a recommended game for anyone with a 3ds.
on August 2, 2013
Ghostbusters?? Mario? Wait...Luigi?! Again? REALLY!?

Yes, really.

Luigi's back in the sequel to the GameCube's cult classic Luigi's Mansion. I, for one, am kinda dumbfounded this game is even here. The original game was a launch title for the GameCube that was not received all that well when it was released. Its greatest sin is that it wasn’t a Mario platformer. Over the years Luigi’s Mansion did strike a chord with a niche crowd who loved its charm and Ghostbusters-like mechanics. I am one of those people.

But we never heard about it again, until now….

Nintendo has released Luigi’s Mansion Dark Moon which has expanded upon the original’s premise. The game is longer, now comprising multiple mansions and locales, and Luigi has more gadgets in his ghost-sucking vacuum cleaner, the Poltergust 5000. Not to mention, he’s upgraded his Gameboy for a Nintendo DS. Pretty cool.

The game fleshes itself out like an adventure game. The player will navigate Luigi through mansions and a nice and even pace solving puzzles, catching ghosts and eventually beating bosses for Dark Moon pieces.

Graphics are on par with the original game and it controls very similarly. Although I must credit the developer for its great implementation of accelerometer controls as found fine tuning my aim by merely tilting the 3DS quite handy.

I had quite a bit of fun with this title and am very happy that Nintendo has decided to revisit Luigi’s Mansion…ghosts and all. I hope they decide to flesh this charming IP out into a series.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.