on December 24, 2011
I am using this device for a few months can't wait to change it.. The battery life is terrible, I have to charge my phone 3 times a day. I was trying to tur of wi fi, blutooth, apps and what ever.. Anyway even if you talk for 10 15 min itis dead in a couple hours...
on August 5, 2011
I am replacing my Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) with Sensation. The Vibrant itself was the 'best' Android phone on T-Mobile 12 months ago.

I immediately noticed a few improvements:
1. GPS is quick to lock (less than 5 seconds), whereas my Vibrant will take up to a minute, and doesn't stay locked for long.
2. Battery life is better, I estimated with my usage, it maybe 2 to 4 hours better than Vibrant.
3. Heavier due to the material being used, more 'metal' than the plasticky Vibrant.
4. Has an LED notification light, although it's hidden inside the speaker grille so it's not easily noticeable if the phone is at a certain angle facing you.
5. Apps do seem to launch faster, this is no surprise as Sensation has a 1.2ghz dual-core processor.
6. Screen is gorgeous, due to the qHD resolution, texts are super crisp.

Of course, there're no such thing as a perfect phone, Sensation also have a few short comings (#1, #2 can be fixed by software).
1. HTC Sense, this may be a pro to average consumers, but I would rather use the standard Android launcher (or Launcher Pro). Even with a dual-core processor, I still noticed minimal lag while swiping the home screens. Not to mention Sense itself took up a lot of valuable memory out of the paltry 768MB.
2. qHD resolution. While texts are crisp, they are also smaller compared to other normal resolution phones. Most apps are designed for 480x800 resolution, texts will appear smaller on those apps. Hopefully this will not be an issue with future updates.
3. The front camera sucks. It's a 0.3mp camera. HTC, this is 2011, at least use a 1.3mp camera!
4. Speakerphone is kinda weak. At both of their highest settings, my friend's iphone4 is about 25% louder than Sensation.

Most professional reviewers crowned the Samsung Galaxy S2 as the best Android phone as of June 2011. I don't have the opportunity to see it in real life, so I don't know whether Galaxy S2 is a better phone or not. What I do know is as of July 2011, Sensation is the best Android phone available on T-Mobile. In six months it doesn't matter anyway, as another 'super' phone will come out and both Sensation and Galaxy S2 will become obsolete. Heck, a new iPhone in September will probably make my new Sensation look like old-tech.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2013
Yes. I'm on, oh, let's see, maybe my 16th free replacement HTC Sensation from T-Mobile. I'm pretty sure no one else is going to actually purchase this buggy, erratic phone anymore, but I wanted to put my negative review in just to be sure. Any positive review for this phone is from 2011. Do your research, this phone has no longevity.
on June 20, 2011
i love this phone. it has everything i need. i still have to get used to it because it does have A LOT of stuff. it takes awesome pictures, very clear. the ONLY thing i don't like is that you cant put a song as a text tone. thats my only complain.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 22, 2015
I still have an HTC Sensation running well. I bought it new back in 2011 and it's still going strong!

I customize my phones heavily, so that should be pointed out. I have mind running Android Jelly Bean OS using custom software. (The official support stopped at Gingerbread). But it handles this more modern update just fine. It runs it smoothly and without errors.

I currently use my Sensation as a streaming media device. I keep it hooked up to my stereo and run apps like iHeartRadio, TuneIN Radio, or just use the MP3 player to run my own MP3 library off the SD card. It works great in this capacity. It gives me a touchscreen interface that I can leave plugged into the stereo 100% of the time so it's there and ready to go when I need it. In airplane mode it only needs to be charged about every 10-12 days. So this older phone is a perfect device for this application.

The screen is bright and colors show vividly, just like when it was new.

I also use this phone as my back up. I have a newer, much nicer Smartphone that I use daily. But if ever I'm going to someplace with an increased likelihood of me breaking or losing my phone (amusement park, construction site, the International Space Station., wherever...) I swap my SIM card back into my Sensation and have a nice usable Smartphone that I won't cry over if it gets broken or lost.

For any application like this, the Sensation is still a great option in 2015.
on July 1, 2011
This is my seventh different android phone, and may I say the best I've had my hands on. The device is hands down the nicest looking handset out there. Feels solid and looks drop dead sexy. It doesn't necessarily blow away other devices such as the Thunderbolt or Galaxy S 1 when launching apps individually. I mean it is slightly faster (still 1.2Ghz vs 1.0Ghz), but where it really excels at is multitasking and that's where this dual core beast starts to flex it's large muscles. The device never really slows down or gets bogged down like the Thunderbolt, SGS1, or any other single core device. Instead it keeps chugging along with you every step of the way without skipping a beat.

Gaming on the device also gives you nice and smooth framerates, and this phone by far is HTC's best gaming handset (Now only comparable to the EVO 3D).

The screen is great, but nowhere near as nice as Samsungs SAMOLED(+) screens IMO.

Sense 3.0 looks great and adds a few nice additions over the previous version of sense. The UI does tend to shudder every once and a while but i'm certain that HTC/T-mobile can correct this with a software update as the hardware itself is plenty capable to run everything else smooth.

The camera is very nice, and in most cases is capable of replacing a pocket camera as long as you're shooting in good light. The built in flash does a great job at lighting up close ups at night, but like most cell phone cameras, don't expect the flash to fill a room.

T-Mobile's "4G" speeds aren't as fast as Verizon's LTE speeds but in my real world tests between the Sensation and the Thunderbolt it means that YouTube videos are launching 1 to 3 seconds faster. Mind you Verizon's LTE speeds will net you literally double the download speeds that you can get from T-Mobile, so seeing that videos only start playing a couple seconds sooner reminds you that LTE speeds are a little overkill for smartphones right now. The built in browser feels extremely smooth and renders everything without any hiccups including heavy websites like engadget.

Overall am I extremely happy with this device and would recommend it to anyone looking for new powerful smartphone. This is the first device that I'm happy with that isn't rooted and modded. Nice work HTC.
on June 24, 2011
I went to Tmobile and upgraded to this phone on 15th of June 2011(day it came out) I am very happy with it! I had a Blackberry Curve which was terrible, then I got the Tmobile G1 which was good until it started dropping calls and due to its flip out screen design breaking I again was in search of a good phone with Tmobile. The G2x was fast but kept rebooting and shutting off by itself. So I got the Sensation and very pleased! Fast phone, great display,(I dont understand people that want a more detailed display, its a phone) And above all I get reception everywhere I go!!! So far I haven't had any dropped calls or rebooting issues.
on November 25, 2012
I bought this phone, the day it was released, back in May, 2011.

2 hardware defects:

1) Incoming calls: I can no longer hear the person on the other end. They hear me, but I can't hear them. The only workarounds are using a headset or switching to speakerphone.

I've confirmed this is definitely a hardware defect (and not a software, routing, or settings issue).

2) GPS internal antenna is very weak. I've had assisted-GPS phones that lock within a few seconds. This phone takes 2+ minutes. And, in the car, unless it's sitting on my dashboard, it only barely gains a lock within 20 feet. Absurd.

So, aside from the phone not being to make phone calls, and the GPS not being able to navigate... it's just peachy.
on December 27, 2014
This is a phone you do not want to keep for a long time. At first, the performance is great, but it sadly fails to impress me with it becoming slowly outdated and the insufficient amount of applications I can download onto it, regardless of the external memory. Also, its battery life depletes rapidly while playing music and videos. I would not recommend anyone to keep this phone for long term.
on October 1, 2013
I have had this phone for 2 years and truely it has been one very frustrating breakdown after another.. I did have almost a full year of good working phone but when I got it It broke down within months with a problem that would plague me for the next 6 and get so bad I had to send it back ( randomly just shuts off) ontop of that after I got that fixed (sent away 2 times) I also have the problem of it randomly wont connect to the internet and I have to take the battery and everything out just to get it to work again.. Now I had the first problem reaccur again but I found a google fix for it. That being said a new problem just as bad has come up.. the touch screen is screing up BADLY and costs $140 to get it fixed.. *sigh* it was a good phone aside from all the stupid problems that have come up. sorry HTC but I'm dissapointed in this product. Now I'm stuck with another year of contract or pay up $140 to get it fixed and hope no new problems arise.