Truck Season Automotive Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

• Customer Reviews

on June 2, 2010
I'm sure this review, as with all other negative reviews, is going to get a "this was not helpful" rating. Look, I get it.. the X-Mini II is an AWESOME product and nobody should to talk bad about it, right? At least hear me out first.. because I've been using these for almost a year and have owned 3 of them. I think that earns me the right to an honest negative review. And remember, most people review products shortly after they buy them.. I've actually spent a lot of time using them.

I absolutely loved mine when I first got it. I showed it to lots of friends and all my coworkers, many of which have since bought their own. It's an excellent little speaker. The sound quality is amazing for such a small package.. the build quality feels very solid. Sadly, it's what's inside that counts.. and what's inside is junk. I've owned 3 of these speakers and all 3 are now dead. Here's the series of events that led to this bad review:

X-Mini #1 - Bought my first one about 10 months ago on Amazon. Loved everything about it. One thing that really stood out (aside from excellent audio quality) was the build quality. Very solid construction. I liked it so much I bought another one for a family member, which we'll call X-Mini #2.

X-Mini #2 - Worked fine, but I noticed the build quality wasn't as good as the first one I bought. The once soft rubber-like audio cable was now stiff, cheap, shiny plastic. The power switch was now flimsy and didn't operate as solidly as my first one. The sound wasn't quite as good, and it was a tiny bit lighter weight. After about 1 month, I started having audio hiccups from it and had to contact the store (possibly power surges?). They sent me a replacement and let me keep this one. The replacement they sent me is X-Mini #3.

X-Mini #3 - Same lower-quality construction. By this point it was obvious that X-Mi had started to cheap out on the materials of the speaker. The once rock-solid speaker now feels like a cheap toy. About two weeks after owning this speaker, the battery stopped working. It no longer holds a charge and has to be plugged in via USB or a wall outlet in order to play sound. I'm not going to bother the company I bought this one from because they already sent me a free replacement.. now it's up to X-Mi.

Now I have 1 good speaker (my original), one defective one, and one with a dead battery, right? Wrong.

Back to X-Mini #1 - My beloved original, now, after 10 months of light use (maybe 3 hours a week), is dead. The battery is having the same issue as X-Mini #3. It will no longer play sound without being attached to external power.

I'm done with these things. I want to love it.. I really do.. and several months ago I would have given this thing 6 out of 5 stars if it were possible. I can no longer do that. They simply don't last. I'm extremely disappointed with X-Mi for cheaping out on materials and have sent them an email explaining this.

If you've been able to snag one that lasts longer than a year, consider yourself lucky. I envy you.
4,146 people found this helpful
|5150+ comments|Report abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon August 2, 2016
I'm giving this 5 stars because I've had a white one for 3 years and it is still going strong. I don't like using Bluetooth speakers because they drain the phone's battery life. This little guy can really put out the sound. I love the fact it has its own volume control as well. No need to get my phone wet by my hands when I need to turn the colume down for something. It's all I need. It seems to play forever without needing recharged. It comes with a charger and even has a Velcro strap for travel. I paid close to $30 for the one a few years ago and less than $10 for this one because newer versions exist. I was pleased with the performance at $30 and I am ecstatic about finding it for less than 10. I wasn't crazy about the color when I ordered it however, it's not an orange but more of an orangey bronze that is really pretty, see photos.
Please check "Yes" if you have found this review helpful. I rely upon others' reviews to make an informed decision anytime I make a purchase, so it is my intention to help others do the same. I welcome any questions or feedback.
review imagereview imagereview image
4 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2015
I have posted pictures of the REAL Xmini's when they come in a box as well as the fake ones. The real ones have the X-mini logo, the Xmi parent company logo, country of origin, warranty information etc and say "Audio Revolution In A Box". There is no X-mini logo, country of origin, warranty information on the box of the fake speakers. It just says "Mini Speaker". The fake ones charge for an hour and only give about an hour of playback time. The real ones are suppose to charge for a few hours and should give 10+ hours of playback time. The real ones also do not distort NEARLY as much as these do.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
10 people found this helpful
on January 10, 2012
I'm a big fan...since before these were even sold on Amazon. I got my first one directly from x-mini in Asia. I have three now. Two black and red, and one orange.

Sound:
They all have that trademark, maximized equalization that have set them apart from their competitors for years. I think even now that you won't find a more pristine playback from any other brand of speaker in such a compact package. I'm sure BOSE could make a good competitor, but what would they charge for it?

Battery:
I use mine primarily at my desk at home and at work. At work I keep the volume low out of respect for my coworkers, and it can easily last the whole eight hour day without a recharge (I keep the volume on my phone turned all the way up, and the volume on the speaker almost all the way down). Even outside of the office I'm not sure if there's ever been a time that I've run out of juice. I am pretty conscientious about keeping it charged, though.

Cord:
It is short, and I know that his it's drawbacks for some people. I've been ok with it. Just adapted myself to that reality. After a year of extensive use, the cord's relationship with the speaker will start to diminish, and you'll get the occasional crackle out of the speaker. These are inexpensive enough that you really don't need them to last forever. My first speaker still works pretty well, but I decided to get new ones anyway.
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 18, 2017
This thing is awesome. I will admit that compared to most speakers it is not that great for lots of sound. But for the price you pay for it you really can't beat the quality and the battery life. I work at a ski lift and we are allowed to play music and I needed a speaker that would last up to 8hrs of continuous playing time and this did not disappoint. I can usually get about 12 to 15 hours of play time. Usually it is 8hrs the one day and about 4 or 5 the next day because I forgot to charge it, but that is still continuous playing time which is amazing. and the best part is that it is not affected by the cold or atlas it didn't have any problems with 10 degree to 0 degrees for 8 hrs. the only down side is that it is not bluetooth but I knew that when I bought it. Also it is not waterproof so you do have to be somewhat careful with that.
on June 11, 2015
This is a great little speaker. It has enough power to give fill a small space with a very nice level of sound but it can't be pushed to max volume without crackling. I don't see this as something that will be an issue though because it just isn't that important to turn it all the way up. This is a purpose built speaker, not a Bose Soundlink.

The build quality is very nice for the price point. All the pieces move very well and seem to be pretty strong. The sound difference is incredible from being opened up to being closed. Closed off it sounds a lot like a speaker that would be built into a child's toy, but opened up it really impresses. One note of caution is that if you connect it to your phone and put it on something like a windowsill, it can vibrate off the window and pull your phone down with it. I know, odd thing to mention, but I have seen it happen to many different people.

Size wise, I think all told, it's about the size of a small, flatter nectarine. The included cable is not as long as you may want, but it's plenty. The loss of length is worth it for the wrapped portability. I find this speaker to be a good addition to a drive in theater.

Battery life so far has been great. I can't give an exact amount (sorry) but I've never though that it wasn't enough to do anything I wanted to do with it.

I don't really have any complaints. In the world of portable speakers, the market is getting to be huge. I think that this speaker is still a viable competitor if you are looking for a good travel speaker for a reasonable price that can give (within reason) everything you would want.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Works excellent with my portable personal cd player. I don't like to use headphones at home due to studying and such, but this tiny speaker saved me time and money from buying an actual large cd boombox player. It also saved me from throwing out the portable personal cd and tape players I have around the house, avoiding wasteful trash. This tiny speaker pack a punch. A lot louder than I had original expected and without wasting space in my living quarters. Great item for tiny house owners or tiny apartment living or just having a tiny room to live in. You really hear the music. I notice this tiny fellow has an extra port for adding any additional portable mini speakers. You can end up with a train of these tiny speakers and create a 3 dimensional surround sound and the music just comes from a tiny cd player source or any music player that uses headphone ports. It also has a charging port which uses a USB port from the computer to recharge the tiny speaker (it comes with the cable for this), which I find annoying since it means needing a computer to recharge this. Luckily there are USB to electrical socket adapters out there, but I think it would have been more convenient if this thing already came with a electrical socket charger. Giving the customers more option on charger choice. There is also a traveling pouch case for protecting the mini speaker as you carry it in your own case or purse or bag. I can't see myself carrying this in my pockets though. You have to either have no butt or really thin thighs to have this set in the pocket comfortably. I like how easily the cable for the headphone port is tugged into its own safe place within the mini speaker rather than being a separate cable. Being a hater of multiple cables and such the short cable that is easily put away is very convenient for me. Anyways I would love to buy more of these fellows and create a 3-d surround sound without taking too much space as the larger speakers do to create the same effect.
on May 12, 2013
[5/14/2013 - made some clarifications]

I got two of these speakers, and they are actually quite good. And that's enough of a review for 95% of those reading this.

Warning: The rest of this review is far too boring for most readers. But I'll go on, in case somebody as crazy as I am wants to stream Netflix from their iPhone 4 to a DVD player and two lovely X-minis. I'm sure there are simpler, ready-made solutions, but this is what I arrived at. It was fun. Reminded me of earlier days when I used to tinker with goofy electronic lash-ups.

Almost all of the parts I used to do this are available on Amazon, and I've named them and given links (as of May 12, 2013).

Stage 1 was simply to get nice left/right stereo from my iPhone, to external speakers.
When you read the blurbs for the X-mini speakers, they talk about stringing out two or more of them serially. But I wanted two speakers, placed wherever I wanted them, playing separate left and right channels. So I split the iPhone's stereo headphone jack signal into left/right using:
HOSA Stereo 3.5 mm Phone Male - Two Mono 1-Tip and 1-Ring 3.5MM Female - 6-Inch
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O5H).
Then I used two extension cables:
Comprehensive 6ft Headphone Extension Cable 3.5mm Stereo Mini Male to Female cable 2-Pack
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DLLICK)
to get the signals to the very short 3.5 mm (M) cables built into the X-Minis. Success: stereo audio to external speakers, independently placed.

Stage 2 was to add the video, so I could stream Netflix on my wife's DVD player.
(Really? We watch Netflix in bed on a DVD player? Why? Mainly because I wanted to see if I could do it! Plus, we have no TV in the bedroom.) By the way, the DVD player we are using is a Sony, DVP-FX930, if you want to check the interfaces it provides. The player's manual tells you how to configure it to use external inputs instead of a DVD.

Caveat: The following works for my iPhone 4, but the iPhone 5 uses a different connector, so a different AV cable would be required - or it might not even be possible...or it might be a lot easier, I don't know.

Anyhow, to complete Stage 2, I had to use the iPhone's charger socket to get both audio and video. I used:
IOGEAR GIPODAVC6 Composite AV Cable with Charger and Sync for iPhone/iPod
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WHCVRI),
which conveys the AV signal from the iPhone charger socket to three RCA connectors.
One of the RCAs is video, so I used:
C2G / Cables to Go 3195 RCA Jack to 3.5mm Mono Plug Adapter
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J1LFM)
and plugged it into the video socket on the DVD player.

Now for the audio. When you use the IOGear connection, you can't use the iPhone's earphone jack. Instead, you use the IOGear's two audio RCA outputs. To do this, I plugged each of the IOGear's two RCA (M) audio plugs (left and right) into some adapters I already had: I really wanted an RCA (F) to 3.5mm (F) stereo adaptor, but all I could dig up was these pieces: I connected an RCA (F) to 3.5mm (M) adapter to a 3.5mm (F) to 3.5mm (F) adapter. The 6' extension cables mentioned earlier then transport the L/R audio to the speakers.

Crazy, huh?! But we're having fun in bed with our iPhone, DVD player (video), the two X-Mini's (stereo audio), and Netflix - or YouTube, for that matter.

Why bother with a big flat panel TV in the bedroom!
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
This tiny speaker is really surprising. I use it when I want to listen to music and movies on my IPOD Touch.

Pros:
1. Loud - It is very loud. I have to reduce the volume because it can get pretty loud.
2. Clarity - It produces a very clear sound for such a small speaker. Much better than the built in speakers.
3. Battery life - I have never run out of juice even when I use it the whole day. Charging is simple too. Just plug it in to the usb port.
4. Portability - These are the most portable speakers you will find. You can compress it then lock it closed when you want to put it in your pocket, then unlock it and expand it when you want to use it.

Cons:
1. None

Summary:
I have used this when my family travels so that we can watch movies on our IPAD or IPOD Touch it is the best. I really, really like them.

*****UPDATE December 3, 2012********
My family took a trip to the East coast, and no matter where we went, people took notice of these speakers and how powerful and clear it was considering it is the size of a chicken nugget according to a person I met in the Airport in DC. I forgot to mention in my review that this has a built in cable and jack so that you will not need to carry an external wire to play music. Now it does come with an external cable for charging and also for playing music full time connected to an IPAD or Laptop, but the battery life is longer than the IPAD or my laptop so recharging has not been an issue.
3 people found this helpful
on August 6, 2015
The first one I received is not working. Tried it with an iPad and two phones - there is no sound even after fully charging. Just to test to see if it is getting a signal, plugged a regular headset into the buddy jack (used to link multiple speakers for a more robust sound) and the sound was fine on the headset - so sound is getting to the unit, just not playing anything. If the second one works, I'll update my review. It is a great concept and looks like it is a simple solution to be sure that my late night pageouts are loud enough to wake me up, the concept has not lived up to the reality yet. Will keep you posted. UPDATE: The second one worked. The sound quality is better than my phone's speaker but not much louder and the cable are way to short. The audio jack is purposefully short and that's okay. The charging cable is far too short though (the overall length is okay, the split cable that plugs into the X-Mini is entirely too short to be useful).