Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on February 9, 2012
I've had this phone a few months, and have been very impressed, which is why I was appalled when I came here to write a review and saw all the others ranting about it. I chose this phone at first because of its sleek looks, sturdiness, and awesome keyboard. As I said, it is a very cool looking phone (for a basic slide-keyboard phone, at least).

Sturdiness - 9/10. Mine has suffered multiple hard falls - the worst had to be when I dropped it 6 feet (no joke) onto concrete. It got a little chip in it, but the screen nor camera lens didn't crack. Then, I accidentally threw it onto concrete at high velocity (this was a different occasion!). I couldn't even find another scratch on it, and again, nothing had cracked.

Keyboard - 9/10. The keyboard took a few days to get used to compared to my old LG Banter's, but soon I was texting even faster than on the latter. It has a very smooth feel about it, the buttons are not difficult at all to pinpoint and press down on. The keyboard slides out to the left, and the function keys are on the screen - I had to adjust to both of these from the Banter, but it's really not a big deal. Another plus is the button that is used for just a period or comma.

Software - 7/10. This seems to be the main problem you see in other reviews. I saw many a review saying that the phone freezes up while texting..? "Freezing up" suggests that you must take the battery out of the phone to restart it, as it will not respond at all. No, it does not do this, although it does need to catch up if you're texting very fast. I believe that this is a common problem with basic phones like this, since my old phone and my parents' Rumor 2's did and do the same, respectively. I have found that the problem is much worsened when the inbox has a massive amount of texts saved - just delete the texts that you're done with, and the whole texting interface should be quick.

One thing that I really love about this phone is the custom shortcuts on the home screen. You can set the left, up, and down arrows to whatever destination you want (camera, notepad, calendar, etc.), and the right arrow brings up a list of 4 custom destinations that you scroll through. It makes getting around the phone easier and quicker. I think that there are other basic phones that do this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Oh, and the music application on the phone isn't bad, either. I crammed around 200 songs onto my tiny micro SD card, and listen on my phone quite often. The headphone jack is on top, which seems to be the most convenient location, as opposed to the side. I had a Pantech Crux with the jack on the side, and let me tell you, it was annoying. Anyways, I have to complain about the shuffle feature, because it shuffles the same songs every single time. This is solved by going to a random song instead of hitting "play all."

Ok, last thing about software, I promise. There is a document viewer, which would be alright in an emergency I guess, but you have to zoom in all the way to see anything on the screen. I put some word docs and PDF's on my micro SD to test it out, and it works great. There is a to-do list application, which I think is pretty handy - it's sort of like sticky notes.

Camera - 8/10. Other reviewers are really giving the camera a hard time. I don't understand why they expect results like you'd get from a real camera. Honestly, this phone has a really great camera compared to other basic phones. It seems to automatically adjust white balance, levels, sharpness, etc. after you take a picture, which results in a picture that looks pretty sharp. And I was surprised how nice they look on a computer, too - I'd have thought they would only look good on the tiny phone screen, but I saw that the resolution is 1260x960. Nice.

Calls - 8/10. Reception is very nice, I haven't dropped many calls. My parents always complain about reception with their Rumor 2's - I don't know if they're just saying that or if it's actually bad, but whenever they complain I always have 1 or 2 bars. The speakers are just ok, I don't think you can expect much of any basic phone's speakers though. Sometimes I like to plug my headphones in during a call - this works great. Your headphones don't even need a mic, because the phone's mic works even while headphones are plugged in. It's sort of like speaker phone, only the speakers are in your ears.

Battery Life - 9/10. Really, really great in this aspect. Although lately I have not been calling and texting as much, it is still impressive that I don't have to charge it for several days in a row (5+), especially since I have had it almost a year now. When I am highly active on it, it still lasts quite a while.

Bugs - Hmm, I can't think of many things that have gone wrong, and the ones that I can think of are very minor.
1. When I had 100+ calls saved and went to delete them all, the phone shut itself down. This was solved by going to the different categories of saved calls (outgoing, incoming, missed) and deleting all calls in each separate category.
2. 2 or 3 times that I can remember in the relatively long time I've had this phone, it would not charge when I plugged the cable in. I just replugged it in, though, and it was fine.

Sorry for being long winded - this is an excellent phone and I doubt you'll find a better basic. Other reviewers are being very critical, it seems to me.
*edited this whole post to make it more informative and concise, hopefully it helps!
**edited again to add battery life and 2 bugs

UPDATE
I am noticing more often that the phone will need to catch up to me when I'm texting, as other reviewers have stated. It's a little annoying, but I'm pretty sure this is a common problem with any basic phone. They aren't very powerful machines. I'm not trying to really promote this phone; it really isn't that big of a deal in the big picture, is what I'm saying.

Also, the battery is not lasting nearly as long as it used to. Oh well, the replacements are what, $5?
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2011
I was looking for something for my 12 year old son. He had always gotten the "hand me downs" as far as phones go and now I was ready for him to pick out a new one. He wanted something that was somewhat cool, querty keyboard and stylish. He got just that. All the new phones seem to need a data plan or had poor ratings. So far, so good. He has had it a month and loves it. No problems at all. I'd give it a 5 star rating for being a good solid practical (but plain) phone - no bells or whistles (like a touch screen).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2012
We got these so that it would be easier to text, but we did not want to buy a data plan. If you want a smart phone with all the fancy apps, you might want to consider a different phone. I also wanted to be able to use my phone for a music player, so I got a 16GB micro SD Sandisk 16GB MicroSDHC Memory Card, Class 4 to go with it and I am not sure if I will ever fill up the card. You can use a Bluetooth headset like Jabra STREET2 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black to take phone calls and play music while your phone stays on your belt, purse, or gym bag. You can also use Bluetooth to connect to a computer (your results may vary).
The camera is pretty low resolution compared to what is out there. It also will receive any SMS text, like Twitter. The only kind of tricky thing is that if you want to get to the calendar function, you have to press "down" on the control ring around the "OK" button, instead of just pressing "OK" for the menu. I think they want you to use one of the other apps that you have to download instead. I figured this out because we previously had the LG 5400 phones that you can't event get anymore and they had calendar built-in.

This can be a phone worth considering if you are upgrading / refreshing your phones and don't want to pay extra for a data plan.
on August 26, 2012
I'm a teenager and even though I got a Pantech phone two years ago, long story short I have a tendency to lose things, so I was given my mother's old flip phone to deal with. It was extremely annoying since it was fat, bulky, didn't have a lot of memory space, and I had to relearn how to text with the number keypad.
This phone has DEFINITELY been worth the wait (I had a 2 year contract plan) since it not only has a keypad, but it can load music like my 1st phone, can actually load pics online (flip phone couldn't), and there's still the numbers in front if you just need to dial a number quickly. Not to mention, my old habit using a number keypad still kinda exists.
Just some things: Texts from social networks can appear warped. There's no distinguishing between sent and received texts. The charm thingy is kinda hard to get on, you have to remove the back.
Overall, though, I love it a lot and hope I don't lose it soon XD
on July 8, 2012
Up until the 3rd of July,2012, I'd have given this phone 4 stars. On July 3, the phone stopped sending picture texts. Verizon had me doing all sorts of mumbo-jumbo and then gave up and sent me a new phone. New phone sent exactly one picture text and now it doesn't send them any more. Both phones received pictures just fine. My wife's Samsung sends pictures from all the same places that I can't with this one, so it's nothing to do with location, holiday call volume, etc. Anyhow, getting ANOTHER replacement phone. No complaints in 10 months;plenty since July 3.

No troubles prior to this. I didn't expect an iPhone equivalent for $0 and no required data plan. I expected what I got. If I want to do flash photography, I have a real camera for that, but for a quick snap in natural light, the phone cam is fine. I like the zoom and crop features. The pics aren't my Canon, but the best basic cellphone pics you can get. The voice quality is good. Except in high-noise situations, there is no need to use speaker. Used speaker all the time on my old Pantech. Very good graphics, too.

UPDATE: Got phone #2 to send pictures after offloading from phone memory all the files that could be transferred to SD card, restoring factory defaults, and re-doing Verizon's "*228, option 1". Worked for my sister's texting problems with her LG Cosmos Touch.

Still, I accepted phone 3 yesterday because #2 had a general looseness in the keypad buttons. Both 2 and 3 are/were "Certified Reconditioned" 3 feels as tight as a new one and pix msg worked without a 2nd *228-ing.Raise my rating back to 4 stars. This is a very good basic phone
on October 6, 2012
Two HUGE software problems:

(1) There is an advertising program installed that sends you marketing texts. You have to take some time to manually change settings. The program cannot be removed!

(2) This phone will not work with Verizon's backup assistant! It hangs when it runs and drains the battery within a few hours. After several hours with tech support they admitted it was a known issue and switched me to a different phone.

I'm amazed they continue to sell a phone here with known issues that they are willing to change phones because of it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2012
Bought this phone about 4 months ago. Phone freezes when entering text. Nothing I have done to prevent this has worked ....very frustrating. I expected better from LG as I have always liked their basic phones in the past.
on January 17, 2013
I bought this phone because I don't especially care about having a smartphone or a data plan. I just want to make occasional calls, texts, and possibly take a picture once in a while.

This phone does all of that respectably.

Call quality is good. Not as nice as many Nokia phones I've owned over the years, but definitely not bad.

Texting is easy enough on either keyboard, but not great on either as well.

I've had my phone for about a year and a half now. I drop it relatively frequently, and while I have some scuffs, mine has been operating dependably the entire time. I think it's durable enough for most people, but it is not the most rugged phone you could purchase either.

After a year and a half, my battery life is still good, too. I am a light user, but I generally only have to charge every 2-4 days depending on what i've been doing. More use means every other day generally, less means I can get to 4 days or so sometimes. Battery life is still good after this long.

It is small enough to pocket comfortable, and large enough to hold comfortably as well.

The camera is pretty unimpressive. It will take a picture, but you're really best to not try unless you've got a lot of good daylight. Even with the best conditions, you'll still get an okay picture at best.

The real reason I would only give this phone low marks is the combination of questionable software design on LG's part, and the really annoying additions that Verizon made to make things even worse. What could be a decent feature phone is mostly marred by bad software design and intrusion by Verizon. Nothing so bad that the phone is unusable, but it can be quite frustrating.
on June 14, 2012
Some people really like this phone.

Those people have never had a decent phone.

When referring to text freezing, as other people have commented, the screen goes abominably slowly. I'm not fast, but having to wait 15-20 seconds to see it catch up is ridiculous. Likewise, you know the software could handle it (if they released a simple patch), since getting into a text screen where you only see the one incoming/outgoing text remains fast and easy. Apparently, it's hard for LG to apply that processing power or simplicity to its messaging menu as a whole. If it takes half a minute just to get to the sender to see what they wrote through the messaging screen, you've released a bad product.

Unfortunately, LG shows no signs of patching the software or working to alleviate the problem. Likewise, some people will use this for a music phone, which tends to have the exact same speed problem. Hey, congrats, you're stuck on the song you want to skip for another 10-15 seconds!

If you're like me, you chose this phone for the QWERTY keyboard. Its appeal stops there, however, since one of the major glitches with my phone is that it will randomly start spamming "1739 Volume Up" repeatedly AS I'M ON THE PHONE. It happens when I'm not on the phone as well, and seems to have no correlation with anything in the exterior environment, including the operator or the other person on the line. I'll tell you, it's annoying as heck when you're in the middle of an important conversation and it starts beeping like R2-D2's hacked your phone line.

All of this points to one thing: LG quickly rushed out a cheap phone to hook people on an annual plan with easy texting. Too bad that the cheapness ruins the texting.
on January 20, 2012
I am so disappointed! I have been happy with LGs until now. I really like the previous generation of this phone. But NOT this one. The buttons are so sensitive that I constantly am calling the last phoned number from my purse or pocket without knowing it. And yes I do have the key lock on! I tried using the passcode key lock and it kept me from being able to answer my ringing phone in time to take the calls. I needed to punch in my 4 digit passcode from a particular screen before I could answer my phone. So now I have the "click ok" lock on but it unlocks so easily that the phone is busy all the time. I find that it has accessed wifi and called friends without me knowing it! The battery is often dead when I need it since it has been busy in my purse for hours! I wouldn't take this phone even if it was free!! I don't know how I am going to last the year and a half before I can get a new one!