Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

on May 10, 2013
Please be aware that the PC Suite software that comes with the Breeze III does not work with Windows 8. The USB driver is incompatible with Windows 8 (even when run in compatibility mode!) Pantech customer service is aware of this, but says a driver or software patch will not be available for months -- possibly not until 2014!

You simply cannot connect your Breeze III by USB to your Windows 8 PC to download pictures or interact with your PC in anyway. You can install the software, but it will not connect to your phone when you connect your phone by USB cable. There's no mention of this on their website (yet).

I spent three days trying to figure out how to connect my Breeze III to no avail, and I consider myself fairly tech-savvy. I finally gave up and called customer service. They knew instantly what was wrong with my phone. They were very nice and very apologetic, but they have no solutions and they don't expect to have a fix any time in the near future.

This was an extremely frustrating experience for me. I've never had a tech company tell me that they had no solutions, no workarounds of any kind to offer me. And I cannot believe they haven't posted this vital piece of information on their website. It's not mentioned in their FAQ or in their troubleshooting materials anywhere.

I don't know if this is just limited to the Breeze III or to all Pantech phones. But buyer beware: Pantech did not convey to me any sense of urgency or desire to resolve this problem for their customers.
on January 14, 2012
I wanted a phone for calling and some texting. I don't really care about music, ringtones, videos, cameras, etc..

First off, the physical layout befuddles me. I cannot stand having the 'voice recognition' and camera buttons where I am expecting the call and end buttons. I constantly press the volume up/down buttons on the side during use--I had my phone completely silent for the first week of ownership. The numeric buttons in general do not have a good feel, they feel sluggish and unreliable.

The software gets even worse. You know those three short cut keys on the top half of the flip phone? Well, those are useless because you can only assign 9 pre-determined options to. You get things like pill reminder, alarm, tip calculator, and junk. You cannot set it to something like inbox or recent calls. Even worse is that once you press a shortcut button you need to confirm that is what you wanted to do.

I'm used to predictive text on my Nokia. I press five keys and it tries to guess a five letter word. If it doesn't know it I can have the phone learn the word. On the Pantech Breeze if I press five keys it will try to guess four and six letter words before it even shows my legit five letter word. I don't know how to make it learn new words. It doesn't have the word 'scum' in it's dictionary.

This phone attempts to do some kind of multitasking. If you go to a function that is considered an 'application' the phone will keep it in the memory unless you press the right key combination to fully exit it. If you don't the application stays in memory and eventually you'll get messages about not being able to more than 3 applications at the same time. There is no way to manage what applications are running unless you try to open more than three. Anything that is considered an application is useless, because they're things like email, instant messaging, and some kind of application manager. And I'm not sure what the application manager is, but it's never opened for me, it just sits there and twiddles it's thumbs. maybe it's download a bunch of stuff from the network or maybe it really doesn't do anything. Either way you lose.

All of the games are 'trials' and over complicated.

With that said, I would be able to look past all the negatives, except I have a hard time understanding what people are saying on this phone. I tried to have a conversation with my wife that consisted of me saying 'what' and 'excuse me' at least once in response to everything she said. On top of that I have been told that I am more difficult to understand on this phone. And for me this is the deal breaker. I needed a barebones phone that worked and this is not it.

This phone is not worth the penny I paid. I am using AT&T.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2012
There exists a market of people who buy a phone to be a phone, not a tiny portable computer with silly applications. This phone is intended to meet that market. It does not come with fancy applications, and its feature set is about as basic as they come. Nevermind that pressing almost any button at any time will cause a sorry excuse for a web browser to launch, almost certainly incurring fees on any phone plan that does not include data. Nevermind that its menu system is incredibly brain-damaged and fails to live up to the standard of barebones phones of even a few years ago. OK, so the phone is intended to generate data revenue and has a shoddy feature set; that's *FINE* for those of us who just want a basic phone.

The problem is that even as a basic phone this product fails miserably! The audio quality can be so poor that conversation becomes almost impossible. I'd love to use a nice wired handset to make up the difference, but in the unceasing war on standardized phone plugs, purchasing one that actually fits this phone is nearly impossible.

Seriously. If you're looking at this phone, go with something like a Go phone instead. That way you'll at least feel better about not wasting your money on a loveless 2-year contract with a phone whose only redeeming quality will be the satisfying crunch it makes when it finally meets its end.
on May 2, 2013
I and my husband have had two Pantech Breeze III phones from ATT for eight months and we are very very disappointed. Worst flaw is that is turns itself off when you are texting a long message(!) despite full battery. Happens about once a week. Less important but still significant are very short battery life (his has 2 days with low usage), it can't receive photos from smartphones (our daughters' have two Samsung Galaxy phones). The files arrive but can not be opened. We can send photos but the quality is awful - much better from my Apple iPod. Final really irritating thing is that we have not received the rebate from ATT despite multiple efforts on phones and computers. It has been EIGHT MONTHS and they say "it's in the mail" but obviously it is not. Some contractor is now handing it and they are less responsive and responsible than ATT itself. Buyers beware!
on September 7, 2011
It is just a phone, it is pretty smart for being just a phone, but since I have an iPod Touch version 4, why would I want a smartphone?

I have had it a couple of weeks now and I have no complaints, I use it in the Breeze mode which covers everything you would want a phone to do. It works well with a Bluetooth headset. If you would like a case, right now the selection is very limited.

I bought the phone outright and use it on AT&Ts Go Phone network, which sure beats the other phones you can get for the price. I live out in the woods so direct connections through the phone is hit and miss unless you know where you need to go. I checked the Breeze with other phones and it seems to have as good or better range compared to the others I tested.

I use the Breeze in a Wilson Electronics 815226 Sleek Cell Phone Signal Cradle Booster for All Cell Phones with Mini Magnet Mount Antenna - For Single User booster and Wilson Electronics Home/Office Accessory Kit for Wilson Sleek, C-Boost coupled with a external Wilson Trucker antenna mounted outside on a pole (I would not fool with other antennas), I now have 4 bars where before I had no service.

Like a lot of the electronic stuff all access comes through a micro-usb port, so at this time you need adaptors or special units to use a lot of the features, such as playing music. In the Wilson cradle a Bluetooth headset is a must.
on July 22, 2012
My husband and I both have this phone. We're 31/32. It's a decent basic easy to use phone. When I called him the other day and he was on a military island 3000 miles away on a land line, the call was crystal clear and I hadn't been able to hear someone that well over the phone in a very long time - it was very surprising in a good way. When I talk to him and we're both on this phone, the call quality is pretty bad. He has a really hard time talking to his mom on this phone and having her hear him well and understand what he's saying and it frustrates them both a lot so he calls her a lot less often than he used to (she's on a cell phone as well during these calls). When I talk to my mom on this phone, it's decent but not great; I really have to make an effort to speak clearly (this is her cell phone to mine). The speaker phone quality is not good and is hardly usable. The only thing I cared about when I was phone shopping was call quality (and SAR value, and this phone is great in terms of low radiation), and it's frustrating that it's so hard to find a good basic cheap phone with good call quality. It really shouldn't be this hard. Basic cell phones were better 10 years ago than they are now, probably by design.

If you don't go to AT&T and tell them to turn off the data plan and text messaging plan, you will get all kinds of extra charges from accidentally hitting something that will charge you. It's very expensive. At least they allow you to opt-out of that and will refund the money if you complain.

I don't like that AT&T won't let you pay your cell phone bill by credit card. I had to link it to my bank account. I'd prefer to earn the points and then pay my credit card bill off right away. Not a huge thing but I could pay my T-Mobile bill by credit card and I preferred that.

Update 6/27/13- We've had this phone for awhile now, and I'd give it maybe 3 stars but no more. It makes me want an iPhone and I'm really reluctant to pay for the data plan. It's not intuitive to use even though it has "breeze mode". I still haven't figured the thing out even after all this time and my husband absolutely hates this phone (engineer). The buttons and menu are annoying. Can't wait until my two years are up although unfortunately there's probably nothing better out there for what I want and am willing to pay for.
on September 4, 2011
Stay away! Microphone sound quality is abysmal. It cuts off treble (high frequencies) and leaves a muffled garbled sound that constantly gets a "what did you say" or "I didn't understand a word you said" response. AT&T obviously wants to sell smart phones so they can make money on a Data-plan and I don't think that it is too paranoid to think that they purposefully do not sell a decent flip phone. We chose to replace it with a RAZR from the internet. There must be a reason that you can still buy RAZR's. At least Toyota supports the RAZR's Bluetooth but unfortunately GM recently stopped supporting RAZR's.
on November 30, 2012
My first foray into "smart phones" was a first generation iPhone. I bought it shortly after experiencing a heart attack. Until that cardiac event, I never thought to carry a cell phone with me all the time. AFTER the event, I NEEDED the psychological comfort of knowing I could call for help from anywhere. At that time, the iPhone was in its second iteration, but I bought the first generation to save some money. It is a SPECTACULAR device that does all sorts of awesome things. Sadly, it does not function well as a telephone! What was worse, for me, was that making an emergency call took too many steps. While my cardiac experience was not like this, friends have told me about theirs: one was barely able to rip open an aspirin container to gulp down a dose! Going through the necessary steps to make a call on the iPhone may have been impossible for him!

1 - wake the iPhone
2 - unlock the iPhone
3 - open the cell phone app
4 - dial 911
5 - send

I decided I did not want or need a "smart" phone at this time. I do not like "texting" and do not need to search the web while I am on the go. I forwent the iPhone for a standard "dumb" flip phone. The Pantech Breeze III that I bought even has three programmable buttons. To make an emergency call takes me only TWO button pushes!

I have now had the Pantech Breeze tied to my AT&T service for more than a year. It is SOLIDLY built, has excellent sound quality, takes decent photos and videos for a phone and was customizable - although some of the options were difficult to access for my self-designed "profile." There is a second setting that provides for a greatly simplified pair of menus. VERY suited for those who are not technologically adept! The ONLY issue I have had is that some buttons that access the web in various ways are in places too easy to hit unintended. I got tired of being charged $2/month by AT&T when I had NOT downloaded ANYTHING ... when I had hit the wrong button by mistake and turned the service off immediately. This problem was remedied with a call to AT&T who simply turned my data service OFF.

I like the "flip phone" idea. If you have ever had your open phone make a call by itself, you NEED a flip phone!

IF you want, you can also use this phone as a personal mp3 player, although you will need to buy a special headset since the phone does not provide a standard earphone jack. The phone does accept a micro SD card!

I highly recommend this model.
on November 24, 2014
Do not buy this phone. I've had two Pantech phones already and they are crap. The battery life is TERRIBLE. It lasts about 2 hours before you need to recharge. And the charging takes hours. Reception is also not great as people often have difficulty hear me. There is also no dedicated headset port. Instead, you have to buy an adaptor (which is really difficult to find) for the microUSB port in order to receive a headset jack. This makes the sound quality even worse. Plus, you would not be able to charge your phone and use the headset at the same time.
on May 15, 2012
I got a PanTech Breeze 2030 about a month ago, and it works fine. The major headache is that finding a headset that is compatible with the thing has turned out to be a nightmare: it uses a micro-USB connector (which is also used for the charger), and although the micro-USB is supposed to be the coming thing, as far as accessories go, it apparently hasn't come yet. The AT&T store where I got it has nothing except Bluetooth (which it works with), but which I don't really want.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...