Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 17, 2014
I bought this camera to record my children, and being a busy mom I did not get a chance to get the videos onto the computer until my warranty was up. I sadly found that there was a high pitched squealing and beeping throughout all my videos. Understandably partially my fault for not checking things earlier, but the real problem came when I tried to call the company to see if there was anything I could do about it. I spent over an hour on the phone, I was given at least 4 different 800 numbers to call for help. Of course each one I had to wait on hold and inevitably when I finally talked to someone they would tell me I got the wrong department and give me ANOTHER number. Once I was on hold for about 10 minutes and a different representative picked up and we had to start the whole process over. When I finally got the correct department I was told (surprise!) that there was nothing they could do. I will be buying a new camera, and will NEVER buy another Philips product because of the terrible customer service.
on June 2, 2012
The camera itself seems quite reasonable considering the price. The feel and balance are excellent. The quality of video images are fine, although using the zoom does create noise. The zoom itself is slow,which is not a bad thing since most amateurs tend to zoom too fast, cut-away too often, and not pan on a tripod--all techniques that jar the viewer. I have not had the camera long enough to test its durability and waterproof qualities, but there is no reason to suspect problems there. The hardware seems to be of decent quality.

But the downfall of the camera are a lack of adequate printed information/web support and ArcSoft Software. I had some serious reservations purchasing the product when I learned that the packaged software was by ArcSoft. A number of years ago I had some very unhappy experiences with that brand when I purchase a printer with bundled ArcSoft. But then I reasoned, this was a few years ago, the company is Philips a respected European giant ...

Wrong! Clunky, aggressive, software that tries to worm itself into every nook of your computer. A true pain to install and an even greater pain to remove from a PC. In all, it took four tries, and almost a full day to install it so it would work. Of course there was no phone or web support listed either by ArcSoft of Philips. And then, mediocre image control.

Fortunately, I bought a used camera and am not as irritated as I would be had I paid full price. I don't discourage folk from buying this camera, but I do suggest that they buy it used, and then purchase a better software package such as Roxio or Photoshop. Too bad, really.
on October 6, 2013
This camera takes great pictures even in very low light, without using its weak flash. It's video is also very good. I have used it a few times underwater (just a few feet) and have gotten in muddy with no issues. The non removable battery is the only bad thing about it and it will not last a day on a typical vacation. So if you get it take along a portable USB charger.
on July 4, 2014
it's a fantastic little, handy camcorder, for all weather, under water, in the snow, easy to put in your pocket, easy to handle, verry good quality of image, it's my second one, the first one broke by my fault, I forgot to close it before diving in the sea...
I'm glad I found another one.
on July 11, 2013
my camera arrived new in the box as advertised. It looked great, we charged it as you'e supposed to but sadly the thing would power up then power right down again. I went online to try and resolve the issue, hit the little reset button a few times but the issue remained. Thankyou to Amazon for a good return policy as this was not cheap.
on March 19, 2015
easy to use, good size to travel with, simple to upload to computer. also easy to switch from camera mode to video mode, shoots clear images, sound not too clear unless you really focus your voice
Excelent product!
on April 2, 2013
does what it promises an camcorder of these characteristics. i have proved the camcorder under water in the beach and it's fantastic.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This short video will show both the good and bad results that the Philips CAM150RD/37 Waterproof 8 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 4 x Optical Zoom (Red) produced. The pros are easy to see both in the video and my list below. The two main cons weren't as noticeable while recording, but very noticeable wen I transferred to my computer. With the zoom, it was obvious that a lot was lost when using it. This is a big downfall, especially if you plan on using this underwater because between the water and the zoom the quality of video is sure to be less than stellar. As for the sound I can't explain the cutting in and out. The microphone is set high on the camcorder near the lens, so I wasn't covering it up with a finger or coming close to it at all. To be sure that it wasn't user error I made several other videos and all had the same sound issues.

Pros:
Nice size and design
Easy to set-up, navigate and transfer videos
Reasonable price
Good picture quality when not using zoom
Comes with wrist strap, charging USB cable and small velvet storage pouch
Arcsoft MediaImpressions Software pre-loaded on the camcorder and easy to use

Cons:
Video quality very lacking when zoom is used
Sound recording has some consistency issues
Internal battery
When using Zoom the sound is recorded on the video

Overall I have trouble recommending this product. At the price it would be great if everything performed as expected, but with the issues it has it's just not the best choice out there.
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon February 5, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Pros:
* Easy to use
* Works just fine in the snow
* Works fairly well underwater, but be aware that dim light levels will make many pictures a bit grainy
* Drop-proof (it was sent inside a larger box with only 1 of those plastic "pillow" things when 6 would have fit, so presumably it was thumped repeatedly during shipment, and seems to work just fine
* Small and light - smaller than a box of matches
* Has a place to screw in a tripod

Neutral:
* Outdoor (sunlit) image quality is decent, not great
* Videos seem to be choppy (but I'm putting that in neutral since it's possible it requires a more-beefy PC... although videos from other cameras work just fine on this PC)

Cons:
* That tiny little latch that protects the memory card and USB connections is easy to bump, which means you might open your camera underwater (which is how I ruined this camera just a couple of months after getting it - ouch!). My more expensive underwater camera requires you to open two latches before it will fly open, so that extra bit of protection makes a big difference
* Indoor picture quality is bad (super grainy)
* Underwater picture quality is poor (grainy)... and that typical digital-camera delay can be really frustrating when you're underwater (where it's far more difficult to stay still than it is on land!)
* Zoomed video quality is awful (even more grainy, details indistinguishable... is the zoom maybe digital rather than optical? yes, it's that bad)
* Internal battery - which means that when your battery runs out, you're DONE until you have time to recharge it
* Internal memory is laughable - will hold only 4 pictures
* Uses a micro SD card (the kind that are smaller than your fingernail), which may require a separate purchase (currently about $25), and can be annoying to work with--you have to slide it into that tiny spot, and if it hits the spring before it's in all the way, it will pop out, do several flips in the air, and land on the floor. Took me about 8 tries to get the darn thing in
* For some reason, its pictures aren't very compatible with Microsoft's file explorer ... if you're just browsing these on your desktop, and choose to rotate a picture, it tells you that doing so can cause the image to lose quality, so you have to use a separate photo editing program even for super-simple things like rotating an image 90 degrees

This was admittedly a lot less expensive than my Panasonic DMC-TS3, but, um, wow. I was thinking I could let my husband use this one, but after seeing how it performs it's probably better for my 7-year-old :-/ It could be fun to play with when I'm just wanting some fun underwater pic's, but I wouldn't use it for anything serious.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.