Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

This mirrorless point and shoot feel but, high end quality of RAWs and JPEGs from this camera has got me pulling this out camera more than my phone if not using my Sony A7II. This camera retails for $599 in most stores that has it still available and with the market with better performance from it's competition. This camera is a good for what it does but, not good enough at the price point that anyone can do with it but, I still think this is good for kids from photography classes at high school.

Pros:
- Magnesium body with synthetic leather for good grip but, sturdy camera
- Has a Hot shoot on top of the camera to add accessories like external flash and remote controls receiver.
- Has awesome low light performance
- Shoots at 7FPS and quick shooting modes manually in front of the camera next to the lens.
- Shoots well with 1080p quality at 30fps and retains good quality Audio without an external microphone.
- Shoots macro mode within 1CM away ( from my tests with adequate lighting )
- Has plenty of scene modes for shooting environments and events and also has Panoramic mode too
- Physical RAW button to switch to shooting RAW right away during any events

Cons:
- Competition looks like it can do better for a $599 priced camera
- Optical view finder doesn't reflect the same image from the back screen or your shot so, be careful with the framing.
- Menu has a learning curve when I came from switching from my Nikon D5500 so, I was a little confused but, expect that when switching camera brands.
- After spinning the lens from On/Off, it takes about 3 seconds for the camera to boot up/turn on all the way till its usable.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 22, 2011
PLEASE SEE MY MORE RECENT UPDATES AT THE END OF THIS REVIEW. I've downgraded my rating from 5 stars to 4 as well.

For the past couple of months I've been looking for a high end "pocket" camera to fill the gap between my Casio throw-away and my Nikon D200. I read all the reviews for the Ricoh GRD iii and iv, and couple of other cameras in that price range and performance, and was just about to pull the trigger on one of those choices.

Then, just a week ago, I stumbled on to a reference for the Fuji X10. I had long lusted after the previously-released X100, but just decided that the buy-in price was a bit too steep just for the cool-factor, for a camera barely less portable than the D200.

After lots of pondering, I decided to place an Amazon order for this camera. Then, as now (late Nov 2011), Amazon showed the camera as currently out of stock. I went ahead and placed the provisional order. Two days later, I received notice that Amazon expected to have the camera by early December. The FOLLOWING day, I got notice the camera had shipped!!, and I should see in on Monday. Instead, the very next day, a Friday, the camera showed up at my door step!

I'll readily admit to being an unabashed impulse buyer. And, let's face it, 600 clams for a "point and shoot" is not a trivial sum, and I fully expected that I might experience a bad case of the post-purchase blues once the new wore off my latest toy.

Thus far such has not been the case! This camera has absolutely exceeded ALL my expectations. When the camera arrived, a professional photographer friend was a house guest, and I could hardly pry the camera from his hands. Both he and I were blown away by the incredible low-light performance of this camera. The image stabilization works well with the fast lens and auto ISO modes. We took some night-time indoor shots at shutter speeds of 1/4 second, hand held without tripod, and the results were sharp and acceptably noiseless.

I won't bore readers with all the capabilities of this camera.. many other reviews cover this thoroughly. However, I've discovered many neat features that aren't even covered in the manual. One of my favorite features is how the MENU button is context-sensitive... therefore, if, say, you press the pop-up flash button, and then want to modify some of the internal flash settings, press the MENU button, and you will automatically be in the flash sub-menu. The same is true for other functions, such as scene mode selection.

I'm also very impressed with the "EXR" mode which allows for a wider dynamic range for scenes containing both extreme dark and light areas. It really works, with phenomenal results. There are many other scene and "film" modes (such as high contrast B&W) that work well, and, mercifully, Fuji has avoided cluttering the menus with those gimmicky modes that no semi-serious photographer would ever use.

Virtually every "scene" setting (such as: Portrait, Soft Portrait, Landscape, etc) and "film" setting (Standard, Soft, Vivid, Monochrome, Sepia, etc) are features that I could see myself actually using on occasion for quick, one-shot pleasing effects.

Finally, a few general comments about ownership:
1) The strap that comes with the camera is a neck strap,and a very cheesy one at that, which I can't envision ever using, unless I decide to go to Disneyland and join all the tourists. (update.. Okay, I did get a realistic faux-leather strap with the after market case I purchased (described below), and I installed it with a pair of those little clip connectors so I can remove it when it's in the way.

On the other hand, you really do need a wrist strap. The camera is just small enough that it is a bit intimidating to use it without a strap. Every time I picked up the camera I always felt I was going to drop it for sure (already been there, done that, with a cheapy camera).

I found the perfect strap right here on Amazon, an Op/Tech for some $8. It fits snugly around the wrist, and has a quick disconnect at the camera to detach when desired: OP/TECH USA 6704062 SLR Wrist Strap, Neoprene Camera Wrist Strap (Royal)

2) As others have described, this is not really a pocket camera, except perhaps to stow in your coat or cargo pants pockets. All other things being equal, I would have preferred a slight smaller size, but decided to give up that minor inconvenience in favor of the performance of this camera. It's light and easy to carry, and fits easily in your glove box, door pocket, underneath the seat, brief case, or ? Try that with your full-on DSLR!

3) You'll certainly want a case to project this baby.. of course, none comes with it. Pay the $150 for the Fuji leather case if you must, but if you are just looking for protection, buy an identically constructed case with snap open front made of "imitation leather" (specifically for the X10) on eBay for $21, as I did.

4) Likewise, you'll certainly eventually want the lens hood and filter adapter (a requirement to use any standard filter.. 52mm). Again, you could pay $99 and up for the official branded Fuji unit, or for $30 get an after market unit complete with a UV filter right here on Amazon EzFoto Adapter Ring + Hood (100% replaces FUFJIFILM LH-X10) + 52mm Pro1-D Super Slim Multi-Coated UV Filter for Fuji Finepix X10

5) Finally, I'd suggest going ahead and springing for a Neutral Density Filter (52mm again). You will definitely need this if you want to take advantage of the narrow depth of field and Bokeh effects when using the maximum F2 aperture in bright sunshine. Otherwise the shutter speed will max out before reaching the correct exposure, even with the lowest ISO setting. You can get a quality Tiffen brand 0.9 ND filter (about 3 f-stops compensation) for about $16 Tiffen 52mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter

6) Oh, and the tiny NP-50 battery is only good for some 300 shots (according to Fuji). Fortunately, these are ubiquitous and cheap.. I picked up a pair of batteries on eBay for about $12 with free shipping.

7) My only major frustration with this camera is the Raw format it uses (Fuji RAF). I like to take all my images in Raw, and use Photoshop or Lightroom Camera Raw for post-processing. Unfortunately, as near as I can determine, my up-to-date Camera Raw software does not currently support Fuji's proprietary format, so you have to use the included software to convert the Raw images. I haven't actually played with the software yet, other than a quick review of the screens. It does seem to have the basic controls you'd expect, but it just creates an unnecessary and cumbersome intermediate step between my images and my favorite software which I've used for some 15 years. Hopefully Adobe will get cranking and create support for the X10 soon. UPDATE.. Photoshop Camera Raw and Lightroom both do fully support the Camera Raw Fuji format, so you can just toss that Fuji software conversion disk (or maybe as I did, use it as a beer coaster on your desk!)

Now go out and have some great fun with this camera!

Update - November 28

* - It's true... the smaller sensor size doesn't produce the same limited Depth of Field or Bokeh effect at wide open apertures as would a full-size DSLR. Fortunately, Fuji added a very cool shooting mode called "Pro Focus" (under the ADVANCED shootimg selection). Just focus in on your desired subject and pull the trigger.. The X10 takes just a second or so to process, and then gives you a great blurred background, with sharp subject. Of course, I've done this many times in Photoshop, but how nice to just select this mode, snap, and be done. No idea how they pull this off, but it really works well. You can even select 3 different levels of background "out of focus" when choosing this mode. (Later update... with the new Focus filters in Photoshop CS6, I find I have much more control by avoiding ANY of the photo-altering gimmicks in the camera.. I just shoot in Camera Raw, then fix whatever needs fixing quickly in Lightroom or Photoshop)

* - a couple of reviewers opined that a 40.5mm filter might just screw into the Fuji lens. I bought a 40.5mm UV filter to find out. The answer is a definite NO... I guess Fuji wanted to shake another hundred bucks out of its customers and sell the "filter adapter".. boo Fuji!

Update - December 14
I just read a blog indicating that Adobe now has Camera Raw processing updates for Photoshop CS5 AND Lightroom 3. Just downloaded both, and YES, you can now throw away that funky SilkyPix Raw converter software that comes with the camera. For Lightroom 3, you'll need version 3.6 And for Photoshop CS5 you'll need Camera Raw version 6.6. Download them both at: [...]

Note that only Photoshop CS5 supports the X10 Camera Raw updates. You DO have version CS5 don't you? If not, trust me... forget about buying another camera and spring for CS5 AND Lightroom 3. You'll thank yourself a thousand times! (Update Aug 2012... Okay, now is CS6 and Lightroom 4.. both MAJOR improvements... grossly expensive, but oh so essential for any other than pure amateur photographer)

Update August 2012
There has been much discussion in these reviews about the "orb" problem with the X10. After some 5,000 pictures, I'll admit I've gotten "orbs" in perhaps 4-5 images, all of which were easily corrected in seconds in Photoshop. Nevertheless, when I learned that Fuji was offering free sensor replacement to correct the "orb" problem, it just made sense to take advantage of that.

I went on the Fuji site, and registered my name. Just a short time later, I received an email notifying me that Fuji was now ready to replace my sensor. This occurred back in June 2012. Unfortunately, I use my camera almost every weekend in conjunction with my Antique Limousine business ( [...] ) and was reluctantly to let go of my camera for an indeterminate period of time.

Finally, in late August, I decided to bite the bullet and send in my camera for repair.

On the same day UPS notified me that my camera had been delivered to Fuji's repair center, I received an email from Fuji acknowledging receipt of my camera, and advising me they would send it back within 10 days. You can imagine my surprise, then, when on the following day, I received another notification from Fuji telling me my camera had been shipped out, and the tracking info advised me I would receive my camera the FOLLOWING DAY!

Sure enough, less than 8 days after I dropped off my camera to UPS, it arrived back in hand.

Best of all, the repair invoice indicated that I had received a NEW replacement camera! This included a new metal lens cover (shipping instructions had explicitly told me to keep all extra parts.. battery, memory, etc), so now I have a spare!

I'm writing this just hours after receiving my NEW, FREE, RETURNED FREE OVERNIGHT FEDEX Fuji X10, and so can't comment yet on improvements to the dreaded "orb" problem.

One thing I have noticed is that the on-off lens rotation now has an intermediate resistance stop, and does require considerably more effort to turn on and off. Personally, I loved the smoother, less resistant original lens, but can only assume that Fuji bowed to the handful of whiners who complained that it was too easy to turn it off when rotating to the Wide Angle position.... really??

Again I want to emphasize that I'm in no way a standard bearer for the X10. There are a few things I take issue with, most notably the almost unusable manual focus mechanism (see below *), and the non-standard filter threads. Nevertheless, I still remain pretty enthralled with my X10, and now I see that Amazon has finally dropped the price a bit to make it even more attractive.

If you're the kind of photographer who just likes to take low-resolution JPEG snapshots to email to friends on upload to your Facebook, then you'd probably be just as well off with a $150 point-and-shoot. But if you enjoy turning ordinary snapshots into works of art, shooting in the RAW mode and using Photoshop/Lightroom to enhance, then this is the perfect camera for you!

* As I discussed in a separate comment response, the cumbersome manual focus situation has been resolved! I learned in the (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) Photographer's Guide to the Fujifilm X10, available in Kindle or paperback Photographer's Guide to the Fujifilm X10 that, when in Manual Focus mode, you can aim the camera at the desired subject, and momentarily press the AEL/AFL button, and the focus will change to the correct distance. Then it is a simple matter to fine tune the focus (if needed) with the focus wheel (using the focus wheel automatically shifts the display to magnified, to make manual focusing easier.

UPDATE - June 2013
Well, I've had this X10 for some 18 months now, and used it a lot. I own and operate a classic car limousine service, catering mostly to weddings, and do a lot of night photography in conjunction with this. Looking back, my rational for purchasing this camera in the first place was:
1) Have a pocketable camera as an alternative to my bulky Nikon D7000
2) A fast lens for low light photography
3) A Wide angle aperture for those beautiful limited depth-of-field bokeh shots.

Over the past few months, I find that I am picking up the D7000 for my nighttime engagements, and that the X10 is gathering dust in the closet, and, honestly, I have to say that I'm a bit disillusioned by the camera at this point. Here are the reasons, corresponding to my original purchase checklist above:

1) This is by no means a pocket camera. It just ain't gonna happen. This is a hang-round-your-neck camera, just like a full sized DSLR

2) Fast lens.. well, yes, f2.0 does sound impressive, but, let's face it... it just isn't good enough for any sort of night photography without flash (and that little pop-up flash is only useful if you're shooting right in someone's face). Sure, you can get an image at night, but it is going to be grainy and you'll never be able to call it a professional image. The difference in quality between a f2.8 lens on my D7000 and this f2.0 is really glaring. I know, it's NOT a DSLR, but still, what's the point of paying near-entry-DSLR prices if you can't get better images?

3) Limited depth of field.. this has been one of my biggest disappointments in this lens. An f2.0 lens on a small-sensor camera is NOT equivalent to the same focal length on a DX or FX format camera. Only when shooting extremes (like focusing on a subject no more than 2 feet away) will you get any semblance of focus fade in the background. Sure, you can dial up the in-camera D-O-F software, but why would you want to permanently gork up your photo when you can accomplish the same yet better soft-focus effects in Photoshop or Lightroom and have complete control.

Other issues that I have increasingly become annoyed with after extensive usage:
* The manual focus mechanism is absolutely useless.. to get from one end of the distance scale to the other requires some 8-10 full revolutions of that hard-to-manipulate focus wheel. Why couldn't they have at least added an acceleration mode to the wheel (turn it faster, move the dial faster). To make matters worse, the focus selector lever (AF or Manual) on the front in right in the position where virtually EVERY TIME you remove the camera from its case (which you HAVE to do to see the viewfinder or back screen) the lever gets moved from AF to Manual. Can't tell you how many ruined images I've deleted because the $!%@@& focusing got switch to manual without my noticing... grrr

* Lack of standard filter threads... This is one of the most idiotic and non-customer-friendly features of this camera. The threads on the lens won't match any standard filter, so if you want any sort of filter, even a UV to protect the non-replaceable lens, you have to shell out a hunk to Fuji for their adapter ring... Then.. the filter housing obstructs the view in the viewfinder; you can't use that nice aluminum lens cap; AND, now the camera won't fit in that expensive leather Fuji case you bought. Really?? Was this camera designed by photographers, or just a bunch of engineer/marketing geeks?

* Auto White Balance... The auto white balance on this for night time shots is just unusable. On virtually every shot I have to make major adjustments to the white balance. I shoot almost exclusively in RAW mode, so pictures are salvageable, but it is an annoying additional step, when I almost never have to adjust the white balance on similar shots with my D7000

* Battery life is pretty short... I don't understand why they couldn't have found room for a larger battery in such a large body

In summary, 1.5 years down the road, the X10 (and now its successor the X20) is starting to look a bit long in the tooth. For your money you're getting:
1) A cool retro-look camera that feels and is solidly built
2) Camera RAW ability
3) A reasonably fast lens

For my money, if I were buying a camera to fit this niche today, I'd opt for the new Fuji XF-1... it's a true pocket camera but appears to have roughly the same guts as the X10, probably improved, with a slightly faster lens, and it looks great!
review image
3131 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 7, 2015
I've been using this camera for a long time now. If you know how to use it, it produces great photos; just two days ago, one of my photos was chosen for flickr's Explore, so I'm not completely out of my mind. At the time it was released, its potential for dynamic range was greater than that of some DSLRs; while that's no longer true, it gives you an idea of the camera's potential. Be aware, though, that you really do need to to learn a bit of photography if you want to maximize that potential, because the automatic modes (including the "EXR" setting on the dial) can leave something to be desired. The camera offers raw shooting as well as Fuji's well-regarded jpgs; it's hard to beat Fuji's raw, and since the sensor here is nonstandard (typical for Fuji) some applications won't handle it properly (looking at you, RawTherapee!).

There are two disappointments. One is the inability to shoot DR 400 at wide aperture in bright sunshine. This is a time when you most want DR 400, but the maximum shutter speed for DR 400 becomes 1/1000. That requires you to narrow the aperture, sometimes as low as f/7.1 or even f/9, where diffraction becomes apparent -- never mind the depth of field. The other is the optical viewfinder. I don't object to the OVF per se; in fact, I prefer them, but the one in the X10 has no overlay to inform you on the focus point, camera settings, etc. Fuji seems to have heeded customers' complaints regarding this, as they did add such an overlay to the X20.

But I love this camera overall; I've printed 16"x24" images from it; I've created 36-inch panoramas; and I've learned a lot about photography.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
I missed this last year, (review), so now its a year or more later, BUY AN X10! Ive found some as low as $150, used, I have 2, or I have 1 and my son has one, either way, I have Nikon Gear prepackaged in anticipation of my packed schedule, from Mountains, to Studio, and I don't enter a lot of friendly photo contests, the Fuji X 10 gets awards A LOT. My shots of Macro Bees and Flowers, pop up on the Stream ....quite a bit. So Im a little to committed to change a relearn 25 yrs of Nikon, but I have 3 fuji's & 5 lenses, 2 X10's, and still the X10's are always with me, even if I get milk! I did splash top using this as backup video.... I used more Video Shots than $500 laser Triggered setup, and hrs of prep!
on July 15, 2013
I just purchased this camera thru Amazon. I REALLY REALLY needed a smaller compact camera to complement my other big and heavy DSLRs. I just want to say that this X10 i can take ANYWHERE. This is THE perfect compact camera for me, and i can take it and hide it under my coat without anybody even noticing it is there. Well, the camera is not tiny, but it sure feels like it, specially since it has that pretty wide range zoom lens. This is why i chose it over the X-E1 and the X-M1 coming out soon.

The built quality, design, performance, and image quality output are TOP NOTCH in this camera. I really don't know what the X20 has for double the price, but this X10 has everything i need. The low light performance is very very good indeed, considering it's small sensor size. Actually i read in many forums that the noise output from the X10 is not so good because of its small sensor, but all i can say is that many of those statements are just not true, because i have confirmed that. I have had many good ISO DSLRs and what i can say is that the ISO performance from the X10 can compete with some cameras with bigger sensors. Don't under estimate this little camera. I shot many photos in low light (in jpeg) and this thing outputs photos with very little noise, straight out of the camera. I am very impressed. I didn't even had it set to high ISO Priority mode, and if i PP the noise in LightRoom they would look even better. Pretty amazing indeed. Last time i had a point and shoot camera was around 8 years ago, and this X10 is a HUGE improvement from what we had back then.

I will say that this camera is not for a beginner. If you are going to buy this type of camera, you should know at least how certain functions work, such as ISO, Shutter and Aperture. Those are some of the simple and basic thing someone should already know, otherwise many of your pictures will come out very blurry and bad. And definitely you will HAVE to read the manual. This is a very high tech little camera.

I shopped around for a long long time. I looked at the famous Pentax MX-1 also, very very good camera also, but when i had the Pentax on my hand it just felt awkward and not normal. The X10 fits like a little glove, and it has a shoe for external flash already, which i will be using. The Fuji just has everything i wanted. I am extremely happy with my new X10. For it's current $349 price, i think this is one of THE best compact cameras out there.

The only thing i don't like is the very POOR battery life, but i read somewhere in flickr that Radio Shack sells a brand that lasts longer than this fuji battery that comes with the camera. I shot around 100 photos and the battery gave up. I did have the LCD on, since i am learning and playing with the camera a lot right now, but soon i will turn off the LCD and other recommended functions for longer batt life.

I still feel like giving this camera 5 stars.
on October 27, 2012
Have had the X10 nearly four months now and with the latest firmware update am very happy with it - except for the battery charge indicator. As others have noted, after the charge indicator drops one of the three segments it often shuts the camera down within a few minutes of use. I had hopes this would be fixed with a firmware update but maybe that is not possible. Fuji?
Initially the camera felt deceptively secure in hand, until it slipped from my grip. Fortunately I had the camera strap wrapped around my hand. Have since purchased a wrist strap which I always use. Also have the Marumi clear 40mm lens protector and have tethered the lens cap to the left strap attachment eyelet.
The X10 feels well made and is a delight to use. Image quality is better than expected. Auto focus is quick and accurate (except not so consistent when the battery charge is low). Extra battery a must. Printed manual could be better. To enjoy this camera read through the manual more than once.
The X10 is small and light enough that I always have it with me. Would buy it again.

UPDATE of review: Less than 15 months after purchase, the camera no longer focuses in the middle of the zoom range. Fuji customer service will repair - replacing the lens - for a fee. I'm very disappointed since the camera has never been dropped, has always been carried in a protective bag. Also, has become difficult to open the aperture to f/2. F2.2 is the widest the lens typically opens to. Two star experience with the X10. Would no longer recommend. Changed rating from 4 stars to 2.
on July 6, 2013
A solid camera, even two years after release. $370 is frankly a steal for a camera that still compares favorably to many other cameras in this price range.

Pros:

- Great, fast lens combined with a larger than average sensor.
- Takes great photos and has the famous fuji colors; lots of saturation.
- Manual zoom. Some people may not like it, but I love it.
- Many hardware controls for adjusting parameters
- A viewfinder, even in vestigial form, is more than you get on other P&S cameras.
- Flash seems above average for a P&S.
- Very solid build. Not quite pocketable, but feels good in hand.
- Above average video quality combined with stereo mics. Will handily beat a cell phone.

Cons:

- As noted elsewhere, below par battery life, largely due to fuji using a tiny battery. Happily, clone batteries are quite common and cheap.

- Uses USB PTP mode for transferring pictures, rather than the old standby of showing up like a usb drive. I personally find this annoying, but it's livable, and of course one can just pop the card out and into a card reader to get pictures. Just as long as you don't leave the card in the reader and take off to a concert without it...

- Has lens cap instead of automatic shutters on other cameras. On the plus side, none of the downsides of shutters (sticking, damaging lens, etc) and it provides actual protection, along with allowing you to use screw-in filters. On the downside, it has no tether and of course you have to take it off.

- Viewfinder provides no information. If you need that info, look towards the X20 which has a HUD in its viewfinder.

- Fuji case is just short of $100. However, third party cases can be bought for $20 that will get the job done.

Notes:

Amazon supplied units are new stock that do not suffer from the infamous orbs problem.
33 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 31, 2013
This is a camera I really was looking forward to; unfortunately, that anticipation was short-lived. The build quality sure seems solid & excellent (especially since it's made in Japan), the buttons and dials responsive, and everything else appears good on the surface. No white orbs were present, and the latest firmware came pre-installed, with a body serial number in the 24xx range (so it was new stock). However, after a couple of hours of use, glaring problems become apparent. At first the camera wouldn't properly shut down -- and nothing would fix it short of a battery removal. I simply chalked it up to temporary glitch, and kept using the camera. Everything seemed fine for a short while. Then the camera would stop reading the memory card and brought up an error message on screen, and wouldn't shut down again. Again, the battery had to be removed to cycle the power. I tried different memory cards and even formatted them, to no avail. Then the screen developed weird gray horizontal lines. Sadly, this X10 is on its way back to Amazon for a refund. Hopefully others are luckier with theirs!

[Edit: We were able to get a second X10, this one has a serial number in the 22xx range. For those wondering, no orbs seen in this copy, either. Moving our rating from one star to four stars. This replacement camera has worked flawlessly, even on a long trip, and hats off to Amazon for their excellent handling of customer service.]
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 19, 2014
I normally shoot with a Canon DSLR, and wanted something more portable to carry with me when taking my kids on outings without having to pack up my camera backpack for my DSLR. Things that influenced me to buy this camera are as follows:

-Large (for a compact) 2/3" sensor
-Optical Viewfinder
-Manual Controls
-Nice fast aperture range
-(Nearly) Silent shutter w/fast flash sync speeds (I've used flash with a 1/2000" shutter speed)

I have, since buying this camera, come to use the EXR (Fuji advanced auto) mode almost exclusively except when playing strobist and shooting in full manual. I have found that the processor does phenomenally well at metering, and the sensor's color renditions are superb...not just for a compact, but overall. The EXR processor/sensor ability to combine photo sites to reduce noise is very impressive, and the dynamic range of shots in the EXR mode is impressive.

In short, are there things it can't do? Of course. Is it better than a DSLR? No. But it is one of the best compacts I have used, and I prefer it to my Canon S100.
on July 14, 2013
I just received this camera, so this review is only based on 1 day worth of shooting. So far, I LOVE this piece. Solid build quality with metal body, tight controls, and solid clicking buttons/dials. Photo quality is great for a compact camera (I'm not comparing this to DSLR photo quality b/c that would just be ridiculous). The camera is responsive with quick focus and quick shots. I did get a few shots where the focus was on the wrong object, but so far this hasn't become a nuisance. The X10 is packed with features including panorama, which can be used for vertical and horizontal panoramas.

Why not 5 stars? I really wish this had the hydrid optical viewfinder, but I could live without it. I believe the upgraded X20 has it, but I couldn't justify paying $250 more for essentially the same camera. Also, focus in movie mode wasn't too great. The camera was slow to focus on subjects as I moved the camera.

I'm taking a weeklong road trip next week and will be using this camera to take photos with friends as well as candids and landscapes. I will update this review after my trip. Hope I'm just as happy after my return!

*Side Note: I bought this camera through an Amazon vendor (Cardinal Camera). It was listed as new, but I received a USED product! The box was open, battery was out of its packaging and inside the camera, and the camera already had over 1,000 shots! I was pretty upset about that, but Amazon's customer service kicked in and saved the day! They gave me the option of returning for a new one or receiving 20% cash back. I chose the cash back since the camera is functionally perfect (as far as I know so far). I ended up paying $280! Thanks Amazon!

**UPDATE!
Just came back from my 1 week road trip with lots of usage on the X10. A few edits/adds to my original review. Inaccurate focus can be a bit annoying. Sometimes it will focus on the wrong subject, other times I'll press the shutter button halfway to focus, but it won't adjust focus at all. A few times it focused, but did not give the focus indicating "beep" sound (not a big deal). Of the ~600+ shots I took, the focus issues occurred about 20-30 times. Still less than 1% of the time and it's acceptable IMO...just slightly annoying.

Another thing I noticed is that the "Auto" setting tends to overexpose photos in certain light conditions. Fortunately, it has the exposure control dial. I have yet to figure out exactly what type of conditions I need to tone down the exposure dial for.

Battery life is low. I did get by shooting the entire day by not using the LCD screen. Pics will show up for 1.5 sec on the screen after each shot, which sucks up juice. This could also be turned off, but then you can't be sure the camera focused correctly. The hybrid viewfinder on the X20 would really help in this case since you'll know where the camera is focusing. Also, I wish there was a way to review photos without having to turn the lens to "on". When I wanted to view photos, I found myself having the take the lens cap off and twisting the lens on. I felt like this would increase risk of my scratching the lens. Just pressing the "play" button on the X10 won't let you review photos.

Build quality remains excellent. Zoom is SUPER useful (for my style of shooting anyway). For what I paid, I'm extremely happy. I do eventually want to upgrade to the X20 once the price drops since it seems to have taken care of the issues I just mentioned on the X10. Overall, arming yourself with an X10/X20 for day-to-day shots and a DSLR for more serious shots would be a perfect combo.