Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on March 3, 2012
I first became aware of Patton Oswalt when I saw "No Reason to Complain" when it first came out on DVD. I wasn't terribly impressed. Patton's performance felt too rushed, loud and hurried for me to really enjoy it. I'm happy to say that since then, he has become one of my most favorite comedians of all time. Each album he has released has shown his growth both as a human being and a phenomenal writing talent. Let's be truthful; NOTHING IS HARDER THAN COMEDY. Patton's perspective has grown wider, not narrower as the years have passed. Married life and fatherhood has done nothing to blunt his cynical view of the world. In fact, these life-changing events have added a slightly sweet edge to his nerdy bitterness that really helps to leaven his anger with the small graces that a happy home life can bring. He has become more confident in himself and his material, and thus even funnier.

Just compare the performances between "Feelin' Kinda Patton" and "Finest Hour." On the former album, Patton is almost berating the audience with his jokes. He yells a LOT, and it makes for a fairly bombastic experience, as if he wants to browbeat the audience into submission. On the latter album, Patton still uses volume and rage, but he's much more selective about it. He chooses the right moment for them, just as he chooses the right moment for a particularly saucy string of profanities or vulgarities. I loves me some gross humor as much as the next person, but I don't want a steady stream of it. Patton has struck the right balance and his material has developed a much wider range, both in subject matter and delivery.

There were two bits on "Finest Hour", that when I heard them for the first time I literally could not get the air in quick enough to laugh. It was as if a comedy smart bomb had been tossed down my throat and blown all the air out in one soundless gasp. My abdominal muscles cramped with pain under the strain! Asphyxiation by comedy! Who knew it was possible!

Like others have mentioned, the only thing that would make this CD better would be an accompanying DVD (like with "My Weakness Is Strong") because Patton's physical presence on stage adds further hilarity to an already superb performance.
on December 20, 2011
Glad I bought it.

Patton Oswalt is my favorite working comedian. I was a bit disappointed in his last CD, "My Weakness is Strong," which I didn't believe up to the level of "Werewolves and Lollipops," but I think this one is a bit stronger. He shows no signs of slowing down. What I like the most about him, other than his voices, is that his moral compass comes showing through his jokes, whether he means it to or not. By this point, simply hearing that Patton Oswalt has come out with a new CD is enough to get me to click over and buy it without asking too many questions.
on November 22, 2011
Patton really takes his stand-up to another level with this special. The layering of material and his ever-broadening subject matter almost insure that you'll need to hear the whole thing a second time just to soak in all subtle references and jokes he throws out. My only complaint, which is not really the fault of the album or Patton, is that this CD doesn't double as a DVD. There are some bits to this CD that I'm certain would be even funnier in watching them performed and really, I just want to go see a Patton Oswalt stand-up show.
All around this is a fantastic stand-up well worth the money and several listen - throughs.
on April 29, 2016
This is one of Oswalt's better releases. He has some highs and lows (it always bothers me when he gets too overtly political, and for the most part he stays away from that here), but overall funny stuff.
on May 10, 2013
I've only seen the Comedy Central edited/censored version of this and never the whole thing. Everytime I listen to one of his albums I end up in tears of laughter and I have to cover my mouth and hold back sounds so those in my house aren't wondering why I'm cackling out loud for no reason they can tell.

If you are a Patton Oswalt fan you will not be disappointed in this album.
on December 29, 2012
Anything Patton Oswalt does is brilliant, and Finest Hour is no exception. If your only experience with Patton is seeing him on "The King of Queens," you're in for such a treat. I'd recommend watching a clip or two on YouTube to test-drive his humor--it's definitely cerebral. The man's got an extensive vocabulary, and he puts it to unbelievably funny use.
on September 22, 2011
Coming off of Patton Oswalt: My Weakness Is Strong (DVD / CD Combo) Patton is back with brand new album that covers everything from his new life as a dad to his renewed views on KFC Famous bowls.

Compared to his previous albums, this is much more focused on the daily minutia of life, and less so on any political/nerdy subjects that were covered more in-depth on his previous albums. The changes of his life (i.e. his fatherhood) have really come through on his comedy, and honestly, he is still just as funny as he ever has been. I listened to this album with a number of my closest friends, and there were quite literally times where we were having problems breathing we were laughing so hard. "The Ham Incident" is hands down one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time.

Fans of Patton Oswalt should not give this one a second thought and buy it, but those of you on the fence will find this album to be one of Patton's most approachable (and funniest) yet.
on January 28, 2016
I almost laughed so hard that I lost control of the car. I highly recommended this one.
on July 1, 2013
If you have listen to any of his other work, then you will love this CD. I have been a big fan of Patton since he was on King of Queens. If you don't like his humor at all, then please move onto some other lame comedian who isn't as funny.
on June 25, 2014
This comedian has good timing and stories. Some of the bits are very vulgar. I don't mind the vulgarity so much when it is funny. It is a 50-50 split on the vulgar routines.