Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on May 31, 2012
I COPY MY STORY FROM THE SPRINT FORUM

This is my story with Sprint

I bought a Galaxy S2 in October 2011, beautiful phone, loved it since the very first day, activated it, all went very smoothly, good signal, good connection speed, all good for the first couple of days ( the first 30 days are the most important ones, because during this trial period is where you decide if you want to keep the phone, the company, the plan).

But in February 12, 2012 ( just 4 months after purchase... 4 months into my 2 year contract) I started having problems with my service. I noticed that i kept getting voicemails from phone calls I did not hear, just the voicemail, no missed calls, when i tried to reply these calls i wouldnt be able to, calls were not going through, that day i ignored the issue, maybe its just a temporary thing i said to myself. But over the next 2 days the problem persisted and i decided to call Sprint to complain. I was told there was a service outtage and that the issue should resolve within 24-48 hours ( This was 4 months ago! ). Needless to say the issue was not resolved, and 72 hours later i called and i was told that the issue was going to resolve that night " at 10:34 Central time", at 10:35 central time the issue was still there, then they said "tomorrow", tomorrow came, still same problem.

I was told i had to reset my phone (meaning back up my contacts and lose all my apps); which i did, still the issue persisted
I was told to take the phone to the nearest sprint repair center, which i did. But here is the issue, the phone worked perfectly when i took it to the repair center, that's when i realized (while the guy at the center was looking at me as if was a mad man claiming to have seen an alien) that my phone did not work exclusively in my appartment, and everywhere else in chicago it worked perfectly. I was told by the very nice guy who helped me (yes, the only person out of the 125.. ish sprint representatives that i spoke to who actually helped me) that i should try to get an Airwave device of something of the sort.

I called and inquired about such device and was told that we need to wait to see if the issue resolves before getting it. 2 weeks gone by, nearly 3 and still i was unable to communicate in my apartment or nearby. During one of these calls i am told that the tower that seems to be affecting my cell phone will be down until September, and that in the meantime there is nothing that can be done.

I call again and (at this point i begin to lose my patience) ask nicely if i am expected not to make a phone call from my apartment for the next 6 months. Then I get this airwave thing approved.
I set it up and it worked the first couple of days, but then it kept getting disconected, turning lights on and off, blinking yellow and green, not knowing when it's working, when it is not, i called sprint several times and each time i was told to reset, a process that required waiting until the next day to see if the whole thing had worked.

4 months have gone by and Still i am :
- unable to communicate with my fiance and my family when i get home from work
- Unable to return my work related calls ( i am a doctor, i am expected to answer within the minute when i am paged... it would take me an average of 10 minutes, some 20-30 call attempts to actually get a phone call out)
- Receive calls from delivery services when i ordered something, after while i just ordered carry out, thanks to my phone.
- Receive the so called "follow up calls" from Sprint, the next day to see if my issue had been solved

Now, i hope someone would undertand how frustrating it is that everytime i called sprint to complain about this issue, someone completely new and unaware of my problems would answer the phone, i had to explain the issue, they would ask some stupid questions and then transfer me to a higher up person, of course, to whom i would have to explain the whole thing one more time, only to be fed lies about timelines and expectations to have my issue solved.

I dont ask for much from a phone company, i ask to be able to make and receive phone calls. Before sprint i was with metro PCS a company that charged me 40 bucks a month for which i was able to make and receive [hone calls without any problem.... and no contract. I decided to "upgrade" went to a larger company, with larger national coverage and bout a much nicer phone, that tweets and updates facebook status without any problems... but cant make or receive a damn phone call when i am in my apartment.

My greatest dissapointment is not the fact that I Had a problem, MY GREATEST DISSAPOINMENT is the POOR COSTUMER SERVICE THAT I RECEIVED FROM SPRINT. To the point that when i asked about terminating my contract and perhaps having the early termination fee waved, a guy yelled at me, told me that I was using my phone regularly and thus i was getting the service i paid for and then had the nerve to ask me to reply "yes" when asked if he had solved my issue in the next day survey ( i only got that survey phone call once, and lucky for that guy, it wasnt for him).

Today I spoke with a cancellation agent, determined to cancel my line and switch to another company before i lose my job, my marriage or my mind. The guy told me that i did not qualify to have the erly termination fee because " there are not enough towers down in my sector". Well, thats just about great.

This did it for me, tomorrow i will pay that early termination fee, move to another company (this time i wont be looking at phone specs, brands, data speed or even monthly payments) , i will move to the company with the highest costumer satisfaction, as the past 4 months have taught me that this is the most important thing when dealing with a phone company.

I asked the guy who tried to help me today ( nice guy, nothing personal) for an email to try to write someone my story, my dissapointment and my opinion, he said there was no one i could write to. Thus i decided that i would write everyone about it, i hope this post is not erased, but if it is i plan to post it on amazon ( i bought my phone through them) and everwhere else where people might listen, because if Sprint wont listen i hope the current costumers and potential costumers of sprint will.

I Know this is an isolated issue regarding sprint's coverage, i will admit that almost everywhere else in chicago my phone works great, but the lack of help and level of abuse i have had ( or felt) from sprint is the take home point from this post.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2011
After receiving the Galaxy SII, on Oct 5, 2011 the phone immediately began opening and closing its own programs when attached to the cell phone charger. On Nov 15, 2011 the phone started malfunctioning. It began to go into and out of drive mode, would dial random numbers, announce that it was plugged in when it was not plugged in, and finally aside from the random freezing it will turn itself back on when it is shut off. After speaking with WIREFLY they said it was outside their window and recommended I call SAMSUNG because its under their warranty. I trouble shot the phone until 18 Nov with SAMSUNG over a different phone. After the troubleshooting failed SAMSUNG said it was necessary to send in for a repair and said they would put a rush on it because it's a new phone. They claimed they would send me a two day shipping label under ticket. After I printed the UPS label they sent me a five day label not a two day. Then after 1.5 hours of phone calls SAMSUNG resent the label under ticket and after I sent the phone in on 19 Nov 2011 I didn't receive it back until 2 Dec. I sent the phone in with a letter which had bulleted the issues the phone had. On 2 Dec, as soon as I received the package, I turned it on it began malfunctioning exactly the same way it was prior to 19 Nov. In the end SAMSUNG said they did a software update and ran a test that said that it was functioning. If they actually turned on the phone they would have seen all the issues I previously mentioned of which all issues remain.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2011
This phone is amazing! It has a beautiful bright screen, it's super light, and very fast. I compared it to my boyfriend's IPhone 4 and weights quite a bit less and has a bigger screen.
The only con I've found so far is that the plastic on the front is a bit weak. I dropped it a few days ago and I have a flat spot where it hit. I would recommend getting a cover right away with this one (still waiting for the cover I ordered to arrive).
But even with that small con I'm not disappointed with my purchase at all. It's a great phone and I recommend it to anyone.
on May 8, 2012
The phone is great. I came from a Verizon droid x and I can really tell the difference. There are only two flaws.

1. The phone is kinda slippery. I find my self dropping it on tables or the floor. I fixed this easily when I bought a silicon cover directly from amazon.

2. Sprints prices and data plans are great, but the Sprint network can't compare to At&t or Verizon.

Obviously the second problem can't be fixed, but I'm satisfied with the phone.
on October 21, 2011
The phone is good looking, light, fast, and all of those wonderful things. However, as Andrew has detailed above, it doesn't always work! I upgraded a total of 3 lines on my account to this Epic Touch 4g. Within a couple days all of the phones had experienced the "Loss of Service" issue described here: [...]

Basically, you pull your phone out of your pocket to see that its turned the cellular service off inexplicably, and you have to turn the phone all the way off and then back on again to make or receive calls, browse the web, or send a text message. I lost several sales opportunities due to this exact issue and ultimately had to return my phones. Sprint played dumb when I approached them about the issue and wanted to charge me a 35$ restocking fee PER PHONE, unless I spent hours in the sprint store so they could replicate the random problem.

Just save yourself the misery and do NOT buy this phone until these issues are resolved.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
I had the Galaxy S Epic 4g upgraded to Galaxy S2 Epic touch 4g. Things that didnt change.

1. Battery does not last compared to my new HTC EVO 3D since day one. (Not fixed from Epic 4g)
2. Slowest phone in it's class could be because the processor cant handle it or they cant customize Android OS for their hardware.(Not fixed from Epic 4g)
3. GPS never works when it does it will lose it's connection 2 blocks or a mile before an exit you had to take.(Not fixed from Epic 4g)
4. Phone gets really hot in my pocket from background running apps(New problem)
5. Skips sending text msgs to people until phone is reset (New problem)
6. Contacted Samsung they said send us the phone with no replacement in the mean while. Went out and bought a HTC without a contract.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon August 18, 2012
I have technically owned a cell phone for years now, but due to the fact that we also have had a string of three teenagers in the house over the past, well, several years, I have seldom actually carried or used a cell phone extensively. This past spring, however, our third teen, the one who habitually made off with my cell phone most regularly, graduated from HS and is off to college in less than a month. So I decided that it was time to get a cell phone of my own, one that's hands-off to the kids, et al.

This means that for the most part, I've effectively leapfrogged at least a few generations of cell phones and jumped into the world of smart phones with both feet.

A learning curve definitely exists, but I'm climbing it nicely, and am completely enjoying this unit.

I do have to admit that the phone is actually a bit larger than I would prefer, but at the same time the screen size and quality is amazing.

The buttons at the bottom of the phone are largely intuitive, and within a few minutes I'd figured out how to call, text, email, etc. OK, the guy at the Spring store actually set up my email (because it's linked to my work email) for me, but my wife linked into her gmail account with no problem.

There are some things that are NOT intuitive, though, like how to forward text messages, but I figured that out. There is a nice use manual that comes with the unit, as well as on-line support, but just playing with the thing is probably the best way to get it figured out.

I LOVE being able to access my phone, text, and email all in one device. Plus having access to the internet and a huge array of apps makes this a VERY useful tool AND entertainment device.

The area where I live has only 3G, but I like that the phone has capability for 4G as well.

It's not that I don't know how I got along without this phone before - I know how I did - but now that I have it, I am REALLY enjoying it!

Let's see...what else. With heavy usage I have been getting about 4-6 hours per battery charge.

All in all this is a fantastic bit of technology, and I'm glad I have it. Cheers!

So far - 5 stars!
on June 13, 2012
UPDATE:

After having this POS for over a year now I have to down grade it to 1 star. This keyboard is the worst in the world... It sucks terribly!!! Very fustrating...I should switch to another KB I know... No more samsungs for me!!!

S***!!! LOL!!!

This is my updated review of the Samsung Epic (LOL!) 4G Touch smartphone. After having it for 3 months now, I can give a much better review of it and it's flaws.

I've had to downgrade this phone to 3 stars and it's lucky it's getting that. I have 3 gripes with this so-called "Super Phone!"

1) The Google Navigator GPS. This thing is a joke! I have to use it at work because I drive for a living. To be

honest I would say it works 75% of the time. That other 25% it has a hard time locking on to a Satellite. This is a known issue with this phone that they have not corrected. Even with ICS 4.04 or whatever number it is. Or it gives me a wrong location for the address I punched in. That is Google's fault. Not too sure who should get the major blame for this Google Navigator, Google or Samsung. I have a friend who has a Motorola Razr and she has the same problem. Just not as reliable as my 5 year-old Garmin GPS. Very fustrating to say the least.

2) This doesn't happen very often at all, but last week I was trying to surf the Internet with it and I was trying to scroll down the webpage and it kept going back to the top. Extremely fustrating.

3) The virtual pain in the a** keyboard. I've never liked these to begin with. But I thought with this phone having a 4.5" screen, that it wouldn't be a problem, but it is. You pretty much have to have Mickey Mouse fingers to type accurately with these keyboards.

My first smartphone was the HTC Incredible. Nice phone but it would go buggy while surfing the Net as well. In fact it was much worse. It would start typing letters by itself while I was composing emails and texts. Really weird.

All I have to say is, is that they certainly have not perfected the smartphone yet. Most people are paying over $100 a month for these phones. Especially if they are with that ripoff carrier that carries the Incredibles. Fortunately I'm under my sister's family plan and I pay about one third the normal cost for unlimited everything.

P.S. There is one significant plus. The phone tethers onto my laptop without kicking me off the Internet, unlike my Droid Incredible 3G used to do constantly. Tether.com is the way to go on that one. Just a one time $29.95 fee and your good. I can PC game online with it, watch Netflix movies with it, Youtubes, etc.

I hope this review was helpful.

UPDATE 07/01/12:

I just wanted to add an update to the Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII.

I've had it for one month now and I am very happy with it. The operating system with all the screen menues are so fluid and smooth. You can really feel the power behind the 1.2GHZ Dual-Core processor. On top of that it has an independent GPU (Graphics Processor) as well.

Some folks have complained about the location of the power button when they are accessing the volume buttons, inadvertently shutting the phone off. I've experienced this only a few times at the beginning. But now that I'm used to the phone, that doesn't happen anymore.

Also, at the beginning the Galaxy SII seemed kind of big for my tastes, but like other reviewers have mentioned, it grows on you. It now feels perfect to me. I kind of like it without the phone case on it, but I would hate to drop it and scuff it up. So the case stays on, which is low profile anyway.

I've upgraded my four star rating to a five star rating because after one month of owning it, it has proved to be an excellent smartphone from Korea giant Samsung. I like their other products as well. LCD/LED PC monitors and flat panel TV's.

The only downfall is Sprint's 4G Wimax coverage which could be better. I've noticed that their 4G coverage is excellent in commercial areas, but lacks considerably in residential areas. The perfect scenario would be the Samsung Galaxy SII with the Verizon network with Sprint's unbeatable Everything Plan. But unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. :-(

06/13/12 Review:

I won't go into a lengthly review of all the features that this phone has, because there are plenty of good ones to read.

I've had the phone for two weeks and it works flawlessly. Some folks nit-pick about it only having 800X480 resolution, but believe me, I see no difference between it and phones that have 1280X720. With that Super Amoled Plus screen, everything is crystal clear and sharp with the fonts and the videos look like 1080P. Very impressive to look at. I also think I just found my new E-reader.

When I was shopping around for a new smartphone, I told myself that I wasn't going to get a big slab one. I was looking at the Blackberry 9930 and even came pretty close to getting the iphone 4. But those phones with their tiny screens and non-adjustable fonts were just too small to deal with. I mean I could read them, buy I said to myself, why? (And oh by the way... Apple is coming out with a larger screen. 3.95" worth... lol. Wow... that's going to make a real big difference). On top of that, they are both 3G.

Was even looking at the HTC Evo 4G. The only problem with that is that there is no Sprint 4G LTE right now. So your stuck with 3G again. Besides, 4.5" is my limit. It's been posted that it does take a while to get used to the size of this phone... but it is very thin and light. Small profile.

WARNING: I know that T-Mobile is a good carrier... but stay away from their version of the Samsung Galaxy S2. It has a stronger processor at 1.5Ghz, but when I was in their store checking out the display model, it kept freezing on me. I also met a co-worker with the T-Mobile version and he said his does the same thing. So far, no problems with my Sprint version doing that. I also heard that smartphones do this because we don't turn off our phones at night. This is actually what the T-Mobile rep told my co-worker.

So I went with the $49.99 Amazon Wireless special on my sister's family plan. I only pay $30 a month for unlimited everything. Used to pay $82 a month with my Droid Incredible with only 450 minutes with that rip-off carrier. Sprint's 4G Wimax coverage could be better. They say they are improving it, but with them coming out with their 4G LTE... who knows.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2012
I love this phone! The screen is gorgeous with deep and rich colors and puts any other phone I consider buying to shame. The screen is the main reason I keep passing up on very good phones that has screens that just do not POP like these AMOLED screens. I enjoy watching videos and just using my phone in general. Hell, even looking at my Live Wallpapers makes me happy on this phone. The camera is very solid, except for low light situations. I took this on a trip to Tokyo along with my Canon point and shoot and I honestly took hundreds of photos with this while my Canon collected dust. Not because it was waaay better as a camera on vacation but because the shots were very nice and clear while this was easier to lug around than even a small point and shoot (due to thinness.) I literally took 0 pictures with my Canon and over a thousand shots on my Epic Touch. That fact spokes volumes since I didn't even realize that fact until the end of my trip. It is plenty fast with its dual-core processor and RAM so using any program and game has been pretty snappy. The only issue I might have is battery life not lasting me until the end of my day (your results may vary) but that is an issue with damn near all of the smartphones released in the past couple of years. I hope these companies are working on newer battery technology just like they dedicate to new screen and processor tech. This phone is great and if you use a program from the Google Play Store called Juice Defender (no I dont know anyone there) I think you will thoroughly enjoy this phone. Its basically like having a Galaxy S3 with a slightly smaller screen. I loaded Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and it has been an excellent experience. I cant wait until they come out with an official Samsung release for this phone and Im sure you will love it as much as I have.
on April 13, 2012
Ok I've owned this now for 6 months. The Galaxy S2 has turned out to be a very good phone. I got 2 of them. I have had no problems yet and the phone works just as good today as it did when I got it new. I could never go back to a small screen now from this 4.55" screen.

I use my phone about 2 hours a day playing games and depending on the app will be very hard on the battery. I've found the app designers are programming to help reduce battery drain but they can only due so much. I always have a charger handy for those days where I play more but I dont feel the battery is inadequate. If I surf the net for a couple hours a day, take a few pictures and text 50 texts along the way the phone stays charged all day with about 25-30% left when I'm getting in bed. Pretty descent. Now watching netflix movies will kill it in 1.5 hours so leaving it on charge is necessary. The battery will get super HOT when it's charging while your watching movies. My battery app measures the temperature of the battery and it shows the battery exceeding 110* at times when I'm using it as it's charging. I don't know if this will shorten the batt life or not.

The only weird thing that happend with this phone is the orange "contacts" icon got pushed out of my bottom permanent row within 2 minutes of messing around with it the day I got it. Now it's on the home page up top with my other downloaded apps. I don't mind but I've never been able to fix it back to factory placement. Now I just have Phone, Messaging and Applications icons on the home page.

I got what you call the "Fishbone" case for it off ebay for like $12. It keeps the phone thin but does cause it to be quite grippy when you try to put it in your pocket. I thought after a few months it would not be so grippy but it still is. It has saved my phone from 3 waist high drops onto ceramic tile. It's rubber and flexible but has a fishbone shaped hard plastic piece that goes around the case. Very cool looking and protecting case.