Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on March 31, 2012
I got this phone a few days ago from amazon wireless, and i liked it so much i realized i had to make a review! First, let me tell you about amazon wireless. Amazon Wireless is by FAR the easiest to use website for buying a phone with a two year contract. They even activate the phone for you, so when you turn it on its already activated! And they give you a free gift(Car charger!!!). Also, amazon wireless has some of the best prices around! And they even offer FREE two day shipping on all phones so they arrive super quick! It dosent get much better than that! So now let me tell you about the Samsung Galaxy S2 epic touch 4g android phone(i will be calling it 'galaxy' in this review because the name is too long), and why it is currently the best sprint phone on the market.

Pros:
-It is EXTREMELY light!!! It almost feels like your holding a toy!
-1.2 GHZ Dual-Core processor and 1GB RAM. For those of you who dont know what that means, it means it is VERY VERY VERY FAST! Currently the FASTEST sprint phone on the market!!!
-Good Size. Before i bought it, when i was looking at the pictures and reviews, i was afraid it would be so big that i wouldnt be able to handle it in one hand and it wouldn't even fit in my pocket. This is Definitely NOT the case. The screen is big yes, but i can still easily handle it in one hand and fits in all my pants, and shorts pockets.
-Beautiful super AMOLED screen, the brightness changes according to the environment!!! I think that's pretty cool!
-Screen is strong and scratch resistant
-Touchwiz
-8 megapixel camera, and HD 1080p video recording!! Galaxy's camera is even better than my point and shoot camera! I dont even use my camera anymore now that i have this phone!
-Very easy to use
-SUPER EASY to transfer files from computer to phone. After you connect using usb cable, the only thing you need to do is copy and paste stuff into your phone's folder!
Cons:
-The cable is pretty short
-does not come with headphones
Other stuff:
-Take a picture of screen by holding power button and home button at the same time!
-You can make your own folders and organize them
-Music and calls still are on when the screen is off
Whats in the box:
-Phone, battery, usb cable, ac power adapter.
on February 15, 2012
As of this review date, I've had the phone for about 4 weeks. I've been an avid Blackberry user for 3 years (first with AT&T and then with T-mobile). I didn't imagine that I would ever go to a touchscreen device. However, I felt increasingly handicapped by my inability to use web-based applications effectively on the Blackberry. The choice came down to iPhone or Android. After doing careful research (including reading Amazon reviews), I became convinced that Android was the way to go (flexibility, increased memory, independence from iTunes, etc.). The various bloggers and Android forums seem to agree that as of 2011-2012, Samsung Galaxy SII (and its myriad variants) is the a top choice for Android users.

The Great Stuff:
Light and thin, yet super capable! 4G (where available) is blazing-fast.

Screen size: I am amazed at the size of this display! The 4.52" Super AMOLED Plus is incredibly vivid and there is plenty of screen real estate to do what you need to do. I do a lot of remote login, and this device enables me to get things done nearly as quickly as they can be done on my PC.

Processor: 1.2GHz dual core. This is a faster processor than most of the PC's I've owned! Apps launch super fast, and operation is smooth.

Memory: 16GB on board, and with my added 32GB microSD card, I have plenty of space to add apps and store data (beats the iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!).

Camera: At 8MP, this camera is one of the best you'll ever find in a phone. My wife's iPhone is also equipped with an 8MP camera, but the quality of pics is worse than the ones I was getting with my Blackberry's 5MP camera.

The So-So Stuff:
Battery life: this phone will work for about half a day with heavy media use before needing to be recharged. I played with the settings and was able to optimize the phone so that it lasts almost the whole day before I need to recharge it. Some power-saving tips-- reduce the screen brightness; choose a static dark wallpaper; reduce the key vibration response intensity; turn off GPS, bluetooth, and WiFi when not in use; close apps when not using them.

Typing: imprecise and takes some getting used to (especially if you're coming from a physical keyboard phone). I downloaded the Go Keyboard (free) and it seems to be working better than the pre-installed one.
on January 6, 2012
For me, this phone has it all. A nice big screen (almost seemed like a mini-tablet at first compared to my previous phone which was a used Droid Incredible), very fast, great battery life, and (drum roll please)... very good call quality. Who would have thought it? A smart phone that actually does a great job at... uh... BEING A PHONE!

Regarding the battery life, I honestly can't believe how much of a charge I still have left at the end of the day on this phone compared to past smart phones I've had. Battery life was a big deal for me and I was worried I'd have to find an "extended life" battery like I usually do. But not with this one! Now, I'm not saying it lasts a week or anything like that. In fact it would only last a couple days on a single charge. But with any other smart phone I've had I often wouldn't even make it through a full day on one charge. I charge the phone every night so I don't really need it to last any longer than that, but with this phone it seems that no matter how much stuff I do on it all day long (with the exception of using the navigator excessively -- no phone handles that well for an extended period of time), it still has well over half its battery life left late at night when I go to charge it.

I replaced my phone's stock home screen with Go Launcher Ex (the best home screen/launcher IMHO) so I don't have much to say about Samsung's home screen, except that both my wife and son still use it and they seem very happy with it. One nice feature of Go Launcher Ex that is relevant to this phone because of its large screen is that you can turn your home screen into a 5x5 grid instead of the default 4x4. I mean you've got that huuuge screen now so you might as well make good use of it, right?

The default keyboard on the Epic 4G Touch is the Swype keyboard. I was concerned about that at first having never used Swype, but my concerns were completely unfounded. First of all, you don't even have to "swipe" if you don't want. You can type on it just like you would on any of the other keyboards, and I usually do since I type much faster (with two thumbs) than I swipe, although I've found that swiping is faster than typing when only using one hand. You will want to tap on Swype's settings key though (the one in the bottom-left corner of the keyboard), then tap on Word suggestion, and enable "auto-correction". Who in the world would not want this to be the default?!! At first I was like "Oh no, this thing doesn't auto-correct?" Then finally I found that setting and all was good with the world again. I mean it is a lot easier to type on this phone because of the larger on-screen keyboard, but it's still an on-screen keyboard so not having auto-correction enabled by default seems kind of dumb to me.

There is just one thing I would caution people about with this phone. That is, it's so large that it might not be for everyone. My daughter, for example, who is only 12, has kind of small hands. This would not be the best phone for her, so she got an iPhone 4S instead. But for anyone else, I HIGHLY recommend this phone. And at Amazon's price, it's a complete STEAL! I bought it for 99.99 (which was already a bargain at 50% of the price of buying it directly from Sprint), but I see it's only 79.99 right now. Wow!!

***EDIT*** I forgot to mention this earlier. The back of the phone is very slick. However, all you need to do is also order the "TPU-Cases High Gloss Black Flexible TPU Case for Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch ***ONLY FOR SPRINT MODEL*** [TPU-Cases Retail Packaging]" from right here at Amazon. It works great! It gives the phone an excellent grip, and it adds a little weight to it as well. That's the other thing is this phone is incredibly light (felt a little too light to me), but this case makes it perfect.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I did a lot of research on the phone that I wanted to get next because I bought the HTC hero when it first came out and was stuck with it until this one. It was an ok phone, however technology advanced too quickly for it to shine.

I have read review after review on the SGS2 E4GT and I have also watched video comparisons. None of it prepared me for what I got the day that UPS knocked on my door.

PROS:
-BATTERY LIFE-
This was a major concern for me coming from the 4 hour life HERO. This phone gives me 12 hours EASY!!! I do keep my 4G and GPS off all day, however that is it. I pretty much roam all day because I work in the radiology dept of a hospital. In and out of OR keeps the phone roaming. When I remember I put it in airplane mode. But if I dont NO PROBLEM battery to spare. Oh also, I changed my backgrounds to black (wall paper and lockscreen)

-SPEED and LAG FACTOR-
The phone is VERY VERY responsive with no lag factor at all. To make sure this stays that way, I reboot my phone daily just in case. Sprint has coverage issues now and then but that has nothing to do with the phone. I have heard ppl mention the lag in the lockscreen. Initially I complained too however then I learned how to actually unlock it. It is actually a side to side or corner to corner swype. Not a middle of the screen to side swype. Once you figure that out... no problem.

-SPACE/STORAGE-
I have downloaded a TON of apps (just counted 55) and I have not even dented the device memory 2GB. This is big for me bcause with the HERO I only could download like 20 apps. On the flip side, it still kinda sucks that the whole 16GB cannot be used for this whole purpose but...eh.

Let me address the plastic feel everyone is complaining about.
First thing GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!! This phone has the largest battery in a cell phone to date and is one of the lightest in weight. How can you complain about that??????? The back cover is not metal its plastic SO WHAT. The phone still has a nice weight to it!!! Put a case on it and WHALA!!! GEEZ these ppl!

Oh I love the screen BTW. It is not finger print prone, very smooth!

-CHARGE TIME-
It takes roughly two hours for a fully charged battery with no usage.

-SPEAKER-
Very loud.

-VIDEO QUALITY-
Very good...sound quality not so great. acceptable tho.

CONS:
The major con that I am having right now it the shutter sound on the camera. Apparently it is illegal in S Korea to take a pic w/o someone knowing or something to that nature.... WELL ITS NOT IN USA so update PLEASE!!! lol UPDATE: Still not fixed with the new update:(

One thing that does kinda bother me is that in the applications you can scroll thru them like a carousel and you cannot on the home screen... its like they forgot about that one. Seriously not a big deal tho. UPDATE: No longer a con. I downloaded something to fix this.

Update: NEW CON. I cannot take a screen print of a video. The pics come out black... I have tried several times. PLEEASE fix. Major downfall.

All in all I love my new phone and I am VERY happy with my purchase although it took over two weeks to get here due to high demand... But it was worth it, Amazon has great pricing and great customer service. I would do it all over again.

Signed
Happy customer
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I looked at some of the reviews here just now - AFTER I got the Galaxy as a Christmas gift. Some people have worried about the thinness and fragile feel of the phone. Unfortunately one of the first things I did was drop it - on a hardwood floor! (I was trying to carry too much junk.) The battery cover came off, and the battery dropped out. I put the battery back in, and the cover back on (something I have had trouble doing with some of my previous phones), and it went quickly and easily, and the phone worked just fine and seemed none the worse for wear. The AT&T site has some occasionally helpful "tutorials," as does You Tube. Also, there are books on Amazon, two of which I purchased, but have only had time to use as reference works for looking up problems as they occurred. My husband and I have been using pay-as-you-go phones for several years now because they fit our lifestyle (at home it's a few calls a week, when traveling it can be really heavy). Also, our favorite restaurants and bars have free wi-fi, as do most airports now. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the IPhone is not available on pay-as-you-go through any carrier that *I know of, whereas the Samsung Galaxy phones ARE. I would have chosen an Android phone anyhow - simply from watching my friends and relatives using the two types of phones. I did need to buy a couple of styli from Amazon because I kept hitting two keys at once; they do help ME a lot - and also I downloaded the free Thick Buttons app which makes the keys look bigger, and as it learns the words you usually type, it anticipates your next letter and makes that REALLY BIG. Overall, I am very satisfied with the phone - but still have a lot of learning to do!
on September 6, 2012
This is my first smartphone and I've had it almost a year. We have been Sprint customers for 15+ years. We have stayed with Sprint due to exceptionally competitive calling plans. As long as you recognize that Sprint's market is primarily urban and along Interstate highways and that meets your needs, then Sprint is great. Now with their unlimited roaming plans it's great no matter where you are. Now, on to the phone...this is my first smartphone. Over the past year as I have used more and more features I've found it to be very well designed and easy to operate. I will say the software change pushed right before the patent case decision was not useful and degraded the efficiency of many of the system functions of the phone. For example, a speed dial call now takes 3 keystrokes vs. two before the update. Battery life is great. Dropped calls are not any more of an issue than they are for my friends on competing networks. The only deficiency I have found with this phone is the antenna...often I will have one or more fewer bars of Sprint service than my other family members who also have Sprint but have different phones...that tells me it is a phone issue, not a Sprint network issue. As for app crashing and GPS getting lost that others have complained about, I discovered that just like most computers, this phone has to be turned off and turned back on every few days to keep it running at optimum efficiency. As long as I turn it off periodically, I have no problems. I have liked this phone so much, I wish I was eligible for an upgrade so I could get an S3 but I'll just have to wait.
on November 6, 2012
I have had this phone since 3/2012, and it is simply amazing. I have had the iPhone 1, 3g, and 3gs, and there is no comparison. Those in the know buy Android phones. At the time I had the other phones, the only comparable Android phone was the Droid series, but you could pretty much only get them from Verizon (which is great but costs more for comparable plan). With ATT which I'd had for years, it was Apple or Blackberry. When I left my family's ATT plan to buy my own, first of all, I immediately chose Sprint, no contest. Lower price, one of the Big 3 carriers, and as of March when I was shopping, ONLY one of them offering truly unlimited 4g. Bingo. My biggest problems with iPhones was 1)they are not customizable, you may not add capacity with sd cards or new battery. Annoying for something you bought and paid for. And 2)doesnt support Flash. Thats a TON of the internet thaf you can't access or see. If I'm paying for data, I want to use it. I was blown away by the size of the crisp HD screen, the speed, and the convenience of having settings, home, back, and search buttons built in at the side, saves a lot of clicking around. Just use one of these for a day then try to go back to an iPhone..you'll be pulling your hair out! I am constantly being stopped and.complimented on how cool this phone is. A neat bonus: the photo quality is awesome! And sharing is a breeze. All I can say is, Apple had better watch out!
on December 16, 2011
I upgraded to this phone from my EVO 4g after I noticed that the battery life in my EVO was dying much faster than usual. Did I go into the store knowing I wanted an Epic Touch? No, I went into the store wanting the best phone Sprint had to offer at the time and it just so happened to be the Epic Touch. I am not going to go through the specs sheet with you guys/gals because you can just read that in the product description. This review will be based on my day to day usage.

HARDWARE:
The first thing you will notice is the massive Gorilla glass covered screen that is gorgeous, Samsung is calling this screen tech Super AMOLED Plus. Coming from an Epic 4g and a Nexus S 4g (which both have Super AMOLED screens), you can tell that the resolution in this screen is much better. The Sprint version opted for the 4.5 inch screen as appose to the GSM versions which sport slightly smaller screens. Even though the screen restate is bigger, Samsung did a good job of not increasing the width of the phone. When compared side to side, the Epic Touch's width is equal to my EVO 4g. With that said, the Epic Touch is noticeably taller. This makes the experience of holding the phone comfortable; however, usage will vary because there will be icons at the top of the screen that are hard to reach during one handed use.

The phone is made primarily of plastic, although the built quality is very good, it is plastic non-the-less. The rim around the phone is a black piano finished plastic that gives the phone a very sophisticated look but it does add to the slipperiness factor of the phone. I often experienced the phone slipping out of my hands when I grab the phone on its sides (like picking it up from a table top) but if I grab the phone from the textured battery cover (like pulling it out of a jacket pocket) then I noticed a much better grip. Because the phone is so thin and wide, holding it in your hands feels awkward at times, as if its not really resting in your hands which gives you the feeling that it can slip out of your grip at anytime

Despite some of the draw backs, I must say that Samsung did an exceptional job with the design and built quality of this phone. I have no problems with the hardware buttons being too flushed or too pronounced. The screen is superb with no dead pixels, my only gripe (if you can call it that) is that the colors are tooooo saturated. Light skinned people appear to have bright pink skin, light brown appears like dark brown, and whites tend to have a pinkish hue to it (UPDATE: I exchanged my first Epic Touch for another one because of some screen responsiveness issues and noticed that the colors on this second phone is much better, still very bright and vivid but not over saturated like the first one). To truly appreciate the Super AMOLED Plus screen, you need to watch a Pixar movie on this phone and witness how gorgeous the screen is.

SOFTWARE:
The Epic Touch is running on Android version 2.3.6 with TouchWiz 4.0 overlay (Only the European versions have been confirmed to get ICS as of this writing). I have read reviews where people are praising the dual-core processor and saying that their is absolutely no lag in this phone at all. However, I must disagree with that claim. Although the phone is blazing fast, there are moments of slight lag when you over load the phone with running apps or a heavy app. I have noticed on many occasions where the transition animations will lag when you go from app to app. I am not complaining about the lag because it is very minor, but I thought its only fair to tell it like it is.

Samsung's TouchWiz interface has improved a lot over the years. I remember hating it on the Epic 4g but am loving it on the Epic Touch. I might even go as far as to say HTC's Sense interface has some serious competition here. Samsung did a good job of giving you useful widgets such as the calendar, weather, etc. They also added some small effects that really give the interface a premium feels. For example, when you press and hold the home screen to add widgets, the home screen will shrink while a menu pops up from the bottom. This is a big departure from the ugly "what do you want to do" menu that pops up in the middle of the screen on other android devices.

Samsung also included a lot of useful apps such as Kies air (which allows you to sync your phone with your PC and interact with it from your pc, you can receive and reply to txt messages all from your pc), AllShare (which allows you to project your phone screen to a TV screen to view movies or photos), Video App (yes, there is actually a video app here to help organize your videos, no more going into the gallery and randomly picking movies with no titles). The video app goes a long way in helping you enjoy the built in 16gb of memory (with a micro SD slot that takes up to 32gb).

What do I love most about this phone? The battery life! For a phone with such a large and bright screen, the Epic Touch's battery life is extremely good. I usually work about 12-14 hrs a day and my EVO 4g is usually dead long before I get off of work. This is not the case with the Epic Touch, after a full work day with heavy txt usage and some data usage (4 PUSH email accounts and blogging), I usually go home with approximately 50% battery life still remaining. AMAZING!

One software downside I have noticed is that some of the apps in the market was not programmed to run at the Epic Touch's resolution, so they appear a little blurry. I've only noticed this in less than a hand full of games so not much of a drawback. One of the biggest gripes I have with the phone is the cellular reception, its just terrible. This is something I've noticed in all of my Samsung phones (Epic 4g and Nexus S). The signal on my phone usually hovers around 1-2 bars most of the time. Even in places where I usually get full bars on my EVO 4g, the Epic Touch can only manage 1-2 bars. (UPDATE: Sprint released a software update a few days ago to address this very problem but sadly it didn't do much for me. I still have very poor signal strength)

UPDATE: I have been using this phone for months now and one extremely annoying bug I have noticed is the inability to send picture messages. Whenever I try to send a picture message the status is stuck on "sending" and the picture is never sent. There is also a problem with receiving picture messages if you have the auto download feature turned on, a simple fix for that is to turn that setting off. However, after wasting many hours on the phone with Sprint to resolve the sending problem I was finally able to find a solution by downloading "GO SMS Pro". Whenever I want to send a picture message I have to use GO SMS Pro, I know its not the perfect fix but its better than wasting more time with Sprint's incompetent tech support.

FINAL VERDICT:
When I reviewed the EVO 4g, I gave it 5 stars despite all of it's draw backs because it still managed to do everything I needed it to do. If it wasn't for the bad battery life (which declines over time with every phone), I would probably still use my EVO 4g. As for the Epic Touch, I feel that it improves on every aspect of a super phone that the EVO 4g first set out to achieve. I would give this phone 6 stars if I could but sadly I am restricted to a 5 star rating system...=)

The "super" of super phones: 5/5 stars!
on July 27, 2013
I bought this phone in February 2012. This phone worked pretty well until the first software update. Battery life was rapidly shortened after each software update. The mini usb port that you use to charge the phone became slightly loose - the result is I get several "high voltage" messages and phone stops charging. To get around this I had to buy a wall charger and spare battery to swap out when battery gets low. Sprint would not help since I had cancelled protection plan 1 month before problems started. Also after much research I found out part of the massive battery drain is due to the 3G connection being on all the time when you don't really need it. I had to search menus to find a way to turn it off. (under Settings, select "more" under "Wireless and network", select "Mobile Networks", then uncheck "3G Data") Your battery will have much more life now. Just turn 3G or 4G on when you need internet access. I used to think Samsung made great products but I have lost my faith in them. My Samsung HD Plasma TV developed a problem after about 1 year where it will switch channels or turn off on its own. It is a know problem but there has been no recall issued for this product. There needs to be a recall for the mini usb port issue which is a known defect of this smartphone.
on March 12, 2012
I bought this phone about three months ago, after upgrading from an HTC Evo 4G device. My Evo's GPS was awesome. It would pick up very quickly and I had no issues with it. This phone has a completely unusable GPS signal. I've tried looking for fixes, but they all involve flashing third party ROMs on it (not too easy to do for the regular joe who isn't on top of technology).

Pros:
-Very slim. Pop this thing in your jeans and hardly anyone will know.
-Cheap accesories. As it uses standard cabling, you can buy cheap knock-off accessories and they work fine.
-Big, vibrant screen
-Feel in the hand (I know this is subjective, but it feels really good in the hand)

Cons:
-Battery has gotten a bit "meh" after 3 months. I can get through about 8 hours without charging it. This involves no video watching, only streaming podcasts (~ 1 hour) and push email on.
-The worst GPS I have ever seen. I could be in the middle of the city without a cloud in the sky and it would take me anywhere from 10-20 minutes to get a GPS positioning. Even when it's on, it'll say I'm in the wrong part of town, sometimes even 8-10 miles away. After checking in the forums and with friends with the phone, they agree that it's horrible.