on July 11, 2012
This is by far the greatest phone I have ever purchased. The pros: Super quick, plays games perfectly with little to no glitching (never has glitched on me), camera is wonderful, speakers are great for it's size, has plenty of storage space in phone for music and movies. The cons: a bit bulky especially with a case (I purchased an Otterbox Defender Series Case), and I recently had to take it in to sprint for a hardware/software problem not caused by myself. They were able to replace the phone for free with the exception of shipping/handling and I got it the next day due to the 1 year warranty Samsung provides for the phone. I did not have insurance on the phone either. The problem was that it was saying it was charging but was not plugged in, when I turned the phone completely off it restarted automatically and then the computer wouldn't recognize it when I plugged it in via USB which I never previously had a problem with. Problem was resolved when I received my new phone.
on July 11, 2012
Fast and very power efficient for an Android phone. Samsungs Touchwiz over Android gives it a cartoony look. Camera is good but video is shakey. Still running Gingerbread on Sprint which sucks but a good phone if its below 100 bucks.
on June 13, 2012
UPDATE:

After having this POS for over a year now I have to down grade it to 1 star. This keyboard is the worst in the world... It sucks terribly!!! Very fustrating...I should switch to another KB I know... No more samsungs for me!!!

S***!!! LOL!!!

This is my updated review of the Samsung Epic (LOL!) 4G Touch smartphone. After having it for 3 months now, I can give a much better review of it and it's flaws.

I've had to downgrade this phone to 3 stars and it's lucky it's getting that. I have 3 gripes with this so-called "Super Phone!"

1) The Google Navigator GPS. This thing is a joke! I have to use it at work because I drive for a living. To be

honest I would say it works 75% of the time. That other 25% it has a hard time locking on to a Satellite. This is a known issue with this phone that they have not corrected. Even with ICS 4.04 or whatever number it is. Or it gives me a wrong location for the address I punched in. That is Google's fault. Not too sure who should get the major blame for this Google Navigator, Google or Samsung. I have a friend who has a Motorola Razr and she has the same problem. Just not as reliable as my 5 year-old Garmin GPS. Very fustrating to say the least.

2) This doesn't happen very often at all, but last week I was trying to surf the Internet with it and I was trying to scroll down the webpage and it kept going back to the top. Extremely fustrating.

3) The virtual pain in the a** keyboard. I've never liked these to begin with. But I thought with this phone having a 4.5" screen, that it wouldn't be a problem, but it is. You pretty much have to have Mickey Mouse fingers to type accurately with these keyboards.

My first smartphone was the HTC Incredible. Nice phone but it would go buggy while surfing the Net as well. In fact it was much worse. It would start typing letters by itself while I was composing emails and texts. Really weird.

All I have to say is, is that they certainly have not perfected the smartphone yet. Most people are paying over $100 a month for these phones. Especially if they are with that ripoff carrier that carries the Incredibles. Fortunately I'm under my sister's family plan and I pay about one third the normal cost for unlimited everything.

P.S. There is one significant plus. The phone tethers onto my laptop without kicking me off the Internet, unlike my Droid Incredible 3G used to do constantly. Tether.com is the way to go on that one. Just a one time $29.95 fee and your good. I can PC game online with it, watch Netflix movies with it, Youtubes, etc.

I hope this review was helpful.

UPDATE 07/01/12:

I just wanted to add an update to the Sprint Samsung Galaxy SII.

I've had it for one month now and I am very happy with it. The operating system with all the screen menues are so fluid and smooth. You can really feel the power behind the 1.2GHZ Dual-Core processor. On top of that it has an independent GPU (Graphics Processor) as well.

Some folks have complained about the location of the power button when they are accessing the volume buttons, inadvertently shutting the phone off. I've experienced this only a few times at the beginning. But now that I'm used to the phone, that doesn't happen anymore.

Also, at the beginning the Galaxy SII seemed kind of big for my tastes, but like other reviewers have mentioned, it grows on you. It now feels perfect to me. I kind of like it without the phone case on it, but I would hate to drop it and scuff it up. So the case stays on, which is low profile anyway.

I've upgraded my four star rating to a five star rating because after one month of owning it, it has proved to be an excellent smartphone from Korea giant Samsung. I like their other products as well. LCD/LED PC monitors and flat panel TV's.

The only downfall is Sprint's 4G Wimax coverage which could be better. I've noticed that their 4G coverage is excellent in commercial areas, but lacks considerably in residential areas. The perfect scenario would be the Samsung Galaxy SII with the Verizon network with Sprint's unbeatable Everything Plan. But unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. :-(

06/13/12 Review:

I won't go into a lengthly review of all the features that this phone has, because there are plenty of good ones to read.

I've had the phone for two weeks and it works flawlessly. Some folks nit-pick about it only having 800X480 resolution, but believe me, I see no difference between it and phones that have 1280X720. With that Super Amoled Plus screen, everything is crystal clear and sharp with the fonts and the videos look like 1080P. Very impressive to look at. I also think I just found my new E-reader.

When I was shopping around for a new smartphone, I told myself that I wasn't going to get a big slab one. I was looking at the Blackberry 9930 and even came pretty close to getting the iphone 4. But those phones with their tiny screens and non-adjustable fonts were just too small to deal with. I mean I could read them, buy I said to myself, why? (And oh by the way... Apple is coming out with a larger screen. 3.95" worth... lol. Wow... that's going to make a real big difference). On top of that, they are both 3G.

Was even looking at the HTC Evo 4G. The only problem with that is that there is no Sprint 4G LTE right now. So your stuck with 3G again. Besides, 4.5" is my limit. It's been posted that it does take a while to get used to the size of this phone... but it is very thin and light. Small profile.

WARNING: I know that T-Mobile is a good carrier... but stay away from their version of the Samsung Galaxy S2. It has a stronger processor at 1.5Ghz, but when I was in their store checking out the display model, it kept freezing on me. I also met a co-worker with the T-Mobile version and he said his does the same thing. So far, no problems with my Sprint version doing that. I also heard that smartphones do this because we don't turn off our phones at night. This is actually what the T-Mobile rep told my co-worker.

So I went with the $49.99 Amazon Wireless special on my sister's family plan. I only pay $30 a month for unlimited everything. Used to pay $82 a month with my Droid Incredible with only 450 minutes with that rip-off carrier. Sprint's 4G Wimax coverage could be better. They say they are improving it, but with them coming out with their 4G LTE... who knows.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 12, 2012
I love this phone! The screen is gorgeous with deep and rich colors and puts any other phone I consider buying to shame. The screen is the main reason I keep passing up on very good phones that has screens that just do not POP like these AMOLED screens. I enjoy watching videos and just using my phone in general. Hell, even looking at my Live Wallpapers makes me happy on this phone. The camera is very solid, except for low light situations. I took this on a trip to Tokyo along with my Canon point and shoot and I honestly took hundreds of photos with this while my Canon collected dust. Not because it was waaay better as a camera on vacation but because the shots were very nice and clear while this was easier to lug around than even a small point and shoot (due to thinness.) I literally took 0 pictures with my Canon and over a thousand shots on my Epic Touch. That fact spokes volumes since I didn't even realize that fact until the end of my trip. It is plenty fast with its dual-core processor and RAM so using any program and game has been pretty snappy. The only issue I might have is battery life not lasting me until the end of my day (your results may vary) but that is an issue with damn near all of the smartphones released in the past couple of years. I hope these companies are working on newer battery technology just like they dedicate to new screen and processor tech. This phone is great and if you use a program from the Google Play Store called Juice Defender (no I dont know anyone there) I think you will thoroughly enjoy this phone. Its basically like having a Galaxy S3 with a slightly smaller screen. I loaded Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and it has been an excellent experience. I cant wait until they come out with an official Samsung release for this phone and Im sure you will love it as much as I have.
on April 13, 2012
Ok I've owned this now for 6 months. The Galaxy S2 has turned out to be a very good phone. I got 2 of them. I have had no problems yet and the phone works just as good today as it did when I got it new. I could never go back to a small screen now from this 4.55" screen.

I use my phone about 2 hours a day playing games and depending on the app will be very hard on the battery. I've found the app designers are programming to help reduce battery drain but they can only due so much. I always have a charger handy for those days where I play more but I dont feel the battery is inadequate. If I surf the net for a couple hours a day, take a few pictures and text 50 texts along the way the phone stays charged all day with about 25-30% left when I'm getting in bed. Pretty descent. Now watching netflix movies will kill it in 1.5 hours so leaving it on charge is necessary. The battery will get super HOT when it's charging while your watching movies. My battery app measures the temperature of the battery and it shows the battery exceeding 110* at times when I'm using it as it's charging. I don't know if this will shorten the batt life or not.

The only weird thing that happend with this phone is the orange "contacts" icon got pushed out of my bottom permanent row within 2 minutes of messing around with it the day I got it. Now it's on the home page up top with my other downloaded apps. I don't mind but I've never been able to fix it back to factory placement. Now I just have Phone, Messaging and Applications icons on the home page.

I got what you call the "Fishbone" case for it off ebay for like $12. It keeps the phone thin but does cause it to be quite grippy when you try to put it in your pocket. I thought after a few months it would not be so grippy but it still is. It has saved my phone from 3 waist high drops onto ceramic tile. It's rubber and flexible but has a fishbone shaped hard plastic piece that goes around the case. Very cool looking and protecting case.
on March 23, 2012
I've only had the phone for two days, but I must say I am seriously impressed.

Beautiful sleek design. Lightweight. The screen is gorgeous. The Operating System is zippy. I was creating my own tabs within minutes, customizing to my preferences.

I deleted the installed Sprint bloatware that I could and installed things from the then Android Market, now Google Play.

The picture is crisp, the touch response perfect, and zipping through screens and menus goes by without a hitch.

I did notice my battery dying QUICKLY - but that was before I downloaded "Open Advanced Task Killer," which allows me to kill programs that would otherwise drain power (think: facebook, google playwords, etc). Also, I shut down GPS and 4G when it is not needed, and vary my screen brightness as needed.

As for the phone itself, it is light and sleek. Since my purchase, I have ordered a screen protector and case. hey, I want to protect my investment. Since I am in EMS and constantly on the move, I though a little extra protection would be a good thing.

What comes in the box is the phone, battery, and power adapter.

Honestly, I am really digging my purchase.
on March 12, 2012
I bought this phone about three months ago, after upgrading from an HTC Evo 4G device. My Evo's GPS was awesome. It would pick up very quickly and I had no issues with it. This phone has a completely unusable GPS signal. I've tried looking for fixes, but they all involve flashing third party ROMs on it (not too easy to do for the regular joe who isn't on top of technology).

Pros:
-Very slim. Pop this thing in your jeans and hardly anyone will know.
-Cheap accesories. As it uses standard cabling, you can buy cheap knock-off accessories and they work fine.
-Big, vibrant screen
-Feel in the hand (I know this is subjective, but it feels really good in the hand)

Cons:
-Battery has gotten a bit "meh" after 3 months. I can get through about 8 hours without charging it. This involves no video watching, only streaming podcasts (~ 1 hour) and push email on.
-The worst GPS I have ever seen. I could be in the middle of the city without a cloud in the sky and it would take me anywhere from 10-20 minutes to get a GPS positioning. Even when it's on, it'll say I'm in the wrong part of town, sometimes even 8-10 miles away. After checking in the forums and with friends with the phone, they agree that it's horrible.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I looked at some of the reviews here just now - AFTER I got the Galaxy as a Christmas gift. Some people have worried about the thinness and fragile feel of the phone. Unfortunately one of the first things I did was drop it - on a hardwood floor! (I was trying to carry too much junk.) The battery cover came off, and the battery dropped out. I put the battery back in, and the cover back on (something I have had trouble doing with some of my previous phones), and it went quickly and easily, and the phone worked just fine and seemed none the worse for wear. The AT&T site has some occasionally helpful "tutorials," as does You Tube. Also, there are books on Amazon, two of which I purchased, but have only had time to use as reference works for looking up problems as they occurred. My husband and I have been using pay-as-you-go phones for several years now because they fit our lifestyle (at home it's a few calls a week, when traveling it can be really heavy). Also, our favorite restaurants and bars have free wi-fi, as do most airports now. Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the IPhone is not available on pay-as-you-go through any carrier that *I know of, whereas the Samsung Galaxy phones ARE. I would have chosen an Android phone anyhow - simply from watching my friends and relatives using the two types of phones. I did need to buy a couple of styli from Amazon because I kept hitting two keys at once; they do help ME a lot - and also I downloaded the free Thick Buttons app which makes the keys look bigger, and as it learns the words you usually type, it anticipates your next letter and makes that REALLY BIG. Overall, I am very satisfied with the phone - but still have a lot of learning to do!
on February 15, 2012
As of this review date, I've had the phone for about 4 weeks. I've been an avid Blackberry user for 3 years (first with AT&T and then with T-mobile). I didn't imagine that I would ever go to a touchscreen device. However, I felt increasingly handicapped by my inability to use web-based applications effectively on the Blackberry. The choice came down to iPhone or Android. After doing careful research (including reading Amazon reviews), I became convinced that Android was the way to go (flexibility, increased memory, independence from iTunes, etc.). The various bloggers and Android forums seem to agree that as of 2011-2012, Samsung Galaxy SII (and its myriad variants) is the a top choice for Android users.

The Great Stuff:
Light and thin, yet super capable! 4G (where available) is blazing-fast.

Screen size: I am amazed at the size of this display! The 4.52" Super AMOLED Plus is incredibly vivid and there is plenty of screen real estate to do what you need to do. I do a lot of remote login, and this device enables me to get things done nearly as quickly as they can be done on my PC.

Processor: 1.2GHz dual core. This is a faster processor than most of the PC's I've owned! Apps launch super fast, and operation is smooth.

Memory: 16GB on board, and with my added 32GB microSD card, I have plenty of space to add apps and store data (beats the iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!).

Camera: At 8MP, this camera is one of the best you'll ever find in a phone. My wife's iPhone is also equipped with an 8MP camera, but the quality of pics is worse than the ones I was getting with my Blackberry's 5MP camera.

The So-So Stuff:
Battery life: this phone will work for about half a day with heavy media use before needing to be recharged. I played with the settings and was able to optimize the phone so that it lasts almost the whole day before I need to recharge it. Some power-saving tips-- reduce the screen brightness; choose a static dark wallpaper; reduce the key vibration response intensity; turn off GPS, bluetooth, and WiFi when not in use; close apps when not using them.

Typing: imprecise and takes some getting used to (especially if you're coming from a physical keyboard phone). I downloaded the Go Keyboard (free) and it seems to be working better than the pre-installed one.
on February 9, 2012
I just got this phone a few days ago. I have been downloading apps and updating things through my wireless connection at home. The phone works great through the wireless. My phone has the EL29 kernel and base version, so it should be good, however, when I go out and get away from the wireless I can hardly use any of the apps because the phone will not connect to the network. It sometimes connects for a few seconds, then it disconnects. I had a hard time even looking up restaurants near me while I was out.

I bought this phone because I do alot of traveling by car for work. I travel all over the country. From what I've seen from Sprint so far I think I may have made a mistake going with them. I will give it a couple of months but if the service elsewhere is anything like it is near my home then I will be forced to switch carriers.

I will update if I find that there is something I can do to fix the signal strength or something like that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...