on November 28, 2011
I've had 7 smartphones - 3 Apple & 3 Android & 1 windows - switched to the SII because of a very good deal with Sprint. First time with Sprint - after 1 month very happy.

Screen size: great and not so great. Screen size is important to me because I browse on the web a lot and read on it quite a bit. A phone is not my first choice for reading, but the size is very good here. The screen has great color and is very responsive. The funny part about the size? Makes one handed dialing on the phone tricky. I have average hands and using one hand to dial and then call can get tricky. I've dropped my share of phones, so I hold my phones very carefully but because of the size of the SII, it can still get out of my hands (dropped it twice in the first week alone). I have adjusted and can manage well with one hand now. Final word on the size - it's not just how big the screen is - it's also how thin the device is - that's what makes it hard to hold. Conclusion: the screen is a huge winner for me despite early misgivings.

Speed: 1 or 2 of my apps do not load quickly, so I'm not gonna brag about the speed. For a phone that's supposed to be fast, ANY app that takes a while makes me question just how fast it it.

Battery: best I've ever had in a smartphone. Period. Just yesterday I ran into my first low battery on it. Why? Because it had been unplugged for a day and a half - and I generally use the phone pretty moderately. Of course, if you turn on 4g it can eat up battery life pretty quick, but you can easily turn it off. 4g is great when it works.

Touchwiz: not a fan. HTC's sense is better and while Touchwiz does have a few cool things to it once I got used to it, HTC definitely wins here. But I've adapted and things are okay.

Music: real downer here. Playing music through the device is not as good as the HTC phones (I've had 3). Just sounds real tinny. Very very surprised by that. However . . .

Call sound: very surprised to write this. This phone has easily the best sound I've ever had in a smartphone from a call sound perspective. It just seems like it goes a little louder than other handsets. Certainly one of the factors that led me to give this 5 stars. I've read where others are not impressed with the call sound, maybe I got lucky, but I'm not kidding when I say it's the best I've ever experienced. That alone probably made me a huge fan of this phone. Another point? I use a cord in my car to connect the phone to the car's sound system. On every smartphone I've ever used, when I answer a call with the phone hooked up to the car's sound system, there is feedback. Not here. I am very happy when I answer a call and it goes through my car's speakers. And callers can here me clearly with no feedback or echo. Again - first smartphone that's done that well.

Build quality: could not disagree more with some people's take. While it has a plasticy feel to it, it seems very intelligently designed. My observation has been that powerful phones that seem a little underwhelming when you first get them, as you adjust, you see how intelligently they are designed. My HTC Incredible was like that - seem too light and fragile. But once you see how strong they are built, you turn a corner and realize they are very tough - which makes the phone even more impressive. Again, light and seemingly fragile but very tough.

Initially, I really didn't like the overall size and Touchwiz, but once I got used to the phone I realized it passed the only important test: is there any phone out there right now I'd rather have? No. If there was a 4" iPhone I'd switch to that but there isn't. And I use my screen a lot. Very happy with the phone and sprint.
on February 9, 2012
Like many here, I suffered from the LOS (Loss of Service) issue early on and it became really annoying because it not only affected data, but phone calls and texts as well. It's good that Samsung/Sprint listened to the people and rolled out an update as soon as possible so I can enjoy this phone without ANY hiccups. I just can't wait until Samsung/Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for this phone!

Everything about this phone is fast, NOTHING slows this phone down! All of the apps that I had with my EVO 4G that would take forever to install and even longer to load do so almost instantly on this phone (and they run much smoother too!).

I recommend this phone for anyone that wants to upgrade to the latest and greatest that Android has to offer (funny that this phone is still the greatest even after almost a year after its initial international release!) Only reason I would tell you to hold off is because Sprint is switching their 4G technology from WiMax to LTE and this phone will not work on the new upcoming LTE network (although WiMax will be supported for the next couple of years, even after LTE comes). But if you are not worried about 4G, or don't expect it to come to your area any time soon, this bad boy is definitely a worthy upgrade!
on May 17, 2012
In many ways I love this phone. It's got a gorgeous screen, ample storage space, great camera, and very responsive. However there are two glaring issues that I'm having a hard time getting past.

Signal strength - coming from an Evo I'm used to pretty good signal. The Epic Touch 4g has 1 bar or no signal in the exact same places. It's annoying but not a dealbreaker since I can still get enough signal to make and receive calls most places.

GPS - horrible horrible. You can use the GPS but if you turn it off and back on, you'll have to restart the phone to get a location lock. Even with apps to clear the GPS cache, I still have to power off and on if I want to use the GPS. Even then, you better be outside when doing it, and it will still be slow. With Beautiful Widgets I very often get "invalid location" whether I've got it set for wireless network or GPS. That's not due to an update in the app., it only started happening when I bought the Epic Touch 4g. For someone who travels often, the GPS is a complete nightmare.

If you don't have need for GPS, the phone is a good option if you are in a WiMax area since Sprint will likely make those the last places to get LTE, but if you value your GPS like I do - you will want to choose a different phone.
on November 6, 2012
I am loving this phone! It's very clear and easy to use. The internal space (2g) is more than adequate for apps and downloads. It comes with an 8mp camera which is awesome! I tested the camera in a completely dark room and used the flash. The image came out extremely clear! The screen is huge and clear. The phone it self is slim.

I gave it only 4 stars for 2 reasons:
1. The phone is larger than what I am used to. A little too big for my hands
2. Every now and then it will freeze than a message comes up saying the Sprint ID stopped responding. I just hit OK and then the phone is normal and I just continue with what I was doing.

I never knew how much of a difference 4g would make until I got this phone. It's a BIG difference! I am pretty much in love with my phone!
on September 19, 2011
I was wanting to get an android device for a while and was looking at the HTC ThunderBolt, but realized I didn't need everything those devices offered. I heard about this device a few days ago and wanted one after I dropped my Blackberry Storm from a truck, therefore disabling the Berry's ringer.

This phone has a large screen that looks great. Its a very fast phone with a decent battery life. Its very thin and light which is nice too. The camera is nice. Call quality is decent and the speakerphone is pretty good. Sprints network is fast. This phone is definitely an amazing piece of technology, although I'm not a super-user, performance is great with quick response.

If you like cellphone with Android OS, this model is a smart choice. There is a dedicated sales page [...] to promote TOP 10 cellphone sold on wireless.amazon.com, maybe you can find the more suitable model for you.
on October 25, 2011
This phone is amazing! It has a beautiful bright screen, it's super light, and very fast. I compared it to my boyfriend's IPhone 4 and weights quite a bit less and has a bigger screen.
The only con I've found so far is that the plastic on the front is a bit weak. I dropped it a few days ago and I have a flat spot where it hit. I would recommend getting a cover right away with this one (still waiting for the cover I ordered to arrive).
But even with that small con I'm not disappointed with my purchase at all. It's a great phone and I recommend it to anyone.
on May 8, 2012
The phone is great. I came from a Verizon droid x and I can really tell the difference. There are only two flaws.

1. The phone is kinda slippery. I find my self dropping it on tables or the floor. I fixed this easily when I bought a silicon cover directly from amazon.

2. Sprints prices and data plans are great, but the Sprint network can't compare to At&t or Verizon.

Obviously the second problem can't be fixed, but I'm satisfied with the phone.
on November 11, 2012
Purchased via Amazon for $49.99 - this is an upgrade for my wife (replaced a Blackberry).
First, be forewarned that even though the cost thru AMAZON is $49.99, SPRINT will still charge you (takes about 4 weeks before you see it on your bill)$36 for an "Upgrade Fee"! So overall, you're still saving around $14 (If you upgrade via SPRINT, it'll cost $99).

Overall, wife likes the upgrade.

Pro's:
- Big (did I say Big) display! Easier for aging eye sight.
- Display is outstanding! Grand baby pics are much more visually appealing to proudly share with friends
- Very much faster processor;
- signal reception (for both voice and data)appears to be better than the Blackberry.
- Much more supported app with Android (you'll be hard pressed to find third party support for Blackberry any more - everything is either Android or iOS (iPhone).
- Physically the phone is thin and light.
- No need to pack the digital camera - camera on the phone works great!

Con's:
- Because of the bigger display, the sheer Size of the phone - it is much bigger than a Blackberry Smart Phone (I'll have to think very hard when it's time for me to upgrade - I like to carry my current Blackberry in a holster case on my belt - I'll end up looking like I'm packing a mini-laptop on my hip with either an iPhone or Android Smart Phone!!!
- $36 Upgrade fee by SPRINT!!!
- Growing pains with a touch pad-we've found that a Sylus DOES HELP (especialy during cold spells (i.e. Winter) when your fingers are much more dry. I ended up buying a pack of 12 stylus for my wife(via Amazon - much, much Cheaper than what I could find locally ($6 via Amazon for 12 stylus vs. $14 for one stylus at local wally world!!). She likes to wear her nails long, which further exacerbates the issue with touch pads. With the 12 stylus pack, she is able to stash a stylus everywhere (her car, her purse, her PC, living room, kitchen, etc.).
- Sharp learning curve with the S2. Still trying to learn everything about the Samsung - everyday, we learn a new feature with the smart phone (after a period of frustration).

Overall, I would still recommend this phone. I initially had some reservations about email integration, but I had no problems setting up my wifes personal email accounts for Cox (our ISP), Hotmail, and Gmail - I was able to transfer all of her Outlook Contact List via google (still trying to learn more about keeping the Smart Phone in synch with the Outlook Contact List on her laptop?!?
on July 12, 2012
Switched from Cricket after being disappointed with being capped for data usage and the poor display and battery life.

You will not be disappointed with this phone! Got the black and white version for use. Check email, news, websites, and even use the Google Maps Navigation during the day. For the most part I am getting 24 hours or sometimes more depending on usage before needing to charge! Unbelievable. Also the screen is so bright and colorful even at 50% brightness!

Also as of July 12, 2012 there is supposed to be an update that will come over the air to update the phone to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich, or ICS). Some have complained it took too long for Sprint and Samsung to release this update. But there are so many phone models out there and unique differences, you just have to be patient. But now if you are considering buying this phone you shouldn't need to worry since the ICS update will bring you pretty much up to date with the latest Android.

This is a great phone and amazing how slim it is. I also picked up cases through Amazon that did not add too much bulk.

You will be happy with this phone!

Hey and I wanted the iPhone 4S, but for a penny this phone was a great price, and honestly I see those with iPhone 4's and this phone has more screen real estate!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 26, 2012
I'd highly recommend this phone. I upgraded from a Blackberry 8300 series (the one they have for nextel direct connect) to this one, and it's like night and day. It's an amazingly fun, versatile, and powerful phone, with a great camera, and I find myself reaching for it now anytime I want to find anything out or connect with the outside world. It has some really great ability (being android) to personalize just about everything (download launchers and lock screens from android market), and the processor and RAM pretty much handle anything I throw at it, although I don't really play complicated games on it. Angry birds rocks on it! It has a huge, beautiful screen, and I've seen youtube videos on it clearly, with great sound. My photos turn out wonderfully.

One con--because I'm used to previous phones with batteries that would last days, I don't like it as much that this one usually doesn't last more than a day and a half... but with the others, I didn't have the large, beautiful screen, and I wasn't checking four email accounts and Facebook. So it's a price I'm willing to pay. :-) Two thumbs up!