Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on October 23, 2011
If you buy this phone and live anywhere considered a mid to low signal area on the Sprint network, you will regret it. Sprint and Samsung will lie to you about the problem and blame each other but the truth is that the antenna used in this phone is below par for CDMA networks and when the phone encounters anything below an average signal, YOU WILL suffer loss of service. I've had my phone tested at a Sprint store and they said it was good, but they test over a very strong signal (most stores has signal repeaters).

BUY THIS PHONE KNOWING THAT THIS PROBLEM EXISTS AND MORE THAN LIKELY WILL NOT BE FIXED BY SPRINT OR SAMSUNG AS BOTH DENY KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2012
I tried this phone for a month after the HTC EVO 4G, but gave up on it due to some software issues. The hardware is pretty impressive. Large, high quality screen. Thin. Light. The battery couldn't make it through a day how I use it, but it can't on any other phone either.

But, the software has some quirks that killed it for me.

1. It doesn't have a way to set a default reminder time for new events in the calendar. Every time you add an event, you need to then click on the event, edit it, and add a reminder. This is painful after being lulled into not needing to do this by nearly every other calendaring program available today.

2. The camera takes great pics, as long as you don't need to adjust the lighting. One HTC phones, if you're in a mixed lighting situation, clicking to emphasize a part of the photo not only focuses the lens but it adjusts the light properly. Not on this phone.

3. I often needed to reset or at least go in/out of airplane mode to wake up the GPS.

4. The foldering system for photos is pretty painful as well.

As I said, the hardware if great, but the software has enough shortcomings to make this phone unusable for someone who uses the calendar, likes taking pictures, likes showing others the pictures I've taken, and expects the GPS to work when called on.
on July 12, 2012
Switched from Cricket after being disappointed with being capped for data usage and the poor display and battery life.

You will not be disappointed with this phone! Got the black and white version for use. Check email, news, websites, and even use the Google Maps Navigation during the day. For the most part I am getting 24 hours or sometimes more depending on usage before needing to charge! Unbelievable. Also the screen is so bright and colorful even at 50% brightness!

Also as of July 12, 2012 there is supposed to be an update that will come over the air to update the phone to Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich, or ICS). Some have complained it took too long for Sprint and Samsung to release this update. But there are so many phone models out there and unique differences, you just have to be patient. But now if you are considering buying this phone you shouldn't need to worry since the ICS update will bring you pretty much up to date with the latest Android.

This is a great phone and amazing how slim it is. I also picked up cases through Amazon that did not add too much bulk.

You will be happy with this phone!

Hey and I wanted the iPhone 4S, but for a penny this phone was a great price, and honestly I see those with iPhone 4's and this phone has more screen real estate!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2012
Like many here, I suffered from the LOS (Loss of Service) issue early on and it became really annoying because it not only affected data, but phone calls and texts as well. It's good that Samsung/Sprint listened to the people and rolled out an update as soon as possible so I can enjoy this phone without ANY hiccups. I just can't wait until Samsung/Sprint release Ice Cream Sandwich for this phone!

Everything about this phone is fast, NOTHING slows this phone down! All of the apps that I had with my EVO 4G that would take forever to install and even longer to load do so almost instantly on this phone (and they run much smoother too!).

I recommend this phone for anyone that wants to upgrade to the latest and greatest that Android has to offer (funny that this phone is still the greatest even after almost a year after its initial international release!) Only reason I would tell you to hold off is because Sprint is switching their 4G technology from WiMax to LTE and this phone will not work on the new upcoming LTE network (although WiMax will be supported for the next couple of years, even after LTE comes). But if you are not worried about 4G, or don't expect it to come to your area any time soon, this bad boy is definitely a worthy upgrade!
on September 19, 2011
I was wanting to get an android device for a while and was looking at the HTC ThunderBolt, but realized I didn't need everything those devices offered. I heard about this device a few days ago and wanted one after I dropped my Blackberry Storm from a truck, therefore disabling the Berry's ringer.

This phone has a large screen that looks great. Its a very fast phone with a decent battery life. Its very thin and light which is nice too. The camera is nice. Call quality is decent and the speakerphone is pretty good. Sprints network is fast. This phone is definitely an amazing piece of technology, although I'm not a super-user, performance is great with quick response.

If you like cellphone with Android OS, this model is a smart choice. There is a dedicated sales page [...] to promote TOP 10 cellphone sold on wireless.amazon.com, maybe you can find the more suitable model for you.
on June 26, 2012
I'd highly recommend this phone. I upgraded from a Blackberry 8300 series (the one they have for nextel direct connect) to this one, and it's like night and day. It's an amazingly fun, versatile, and powerful phone, with a great camera, and I find myself reaching for it now anytime I want to find anything out or connect with the outside world. It has some really great ability (being android) to personalize just about everything (download launchers and lock screens from android market), and the processor and RAM pretty much handle anything I throw at it, although I don't really play complicated games on it. Angry birds rocks on it! It has a huge, beautiful screen, and I've seen youtube videos on it clearly, with great sound. My photos turn out wonderfully.

One con--because I'm used to previous phones with batteries that would last days, I don't like it as much that this one usually doesn't last more than a day and a half... but with the others, I didn't have the large, beautiful screen, and I wasn't checking four email accounts and Facebook. So it's a price I'm willing to pay. :-) Two thumbs up!
on January 27, 2012
I got this phone to replace my aging Palm Pre. Being a frugal person, I wanted to stay with Sprint because I had a grandfathered SERO derivative plan called SERO Premium ($50 plus tax per month for 450 voice min, unlimited text and unlimited data).

The phone absolutely kicked butt when I used it at my home office via WIFI (I have FIOS 25/25 service). Speedtest.net averaged around 5 mbps down and 6 mbps up.

Unfortunately, its a whole different story when using it on the road where Speedtest.net averaged around 600 kbps down and 500 kbps up in Central NJ.

There are no existing 4G towers so I am defaulting to 3G which pretty much cripples the phone.

To boot, Sprint STOPPED rolling out 4G WiMax towers and will instead be rolling out 4G LTE towers during 2nd half of 2012 and into 2013.

Although they are both labeled 4G, these are two distinct technologies and my current Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch is ONLY ABLE to operate under 4G WiMax.

So what does that mean for me? Since there is no existing 4G WiMax service where I live now, and any new 4G LTE will not be compatible with my shiny new phone, I would be using it EXCLUSIVELY as a 3G phone for the life of the contract (2 years).

It would be nice if Sprint employee informed me of this when I purchased it, don't you think? Well, I decided to return this phone (within 14 days and eat the $36 activation fee) and will be porting out to Verizon Wireless where they have extensive 4G LTE coverage in my area.

So, if you currently can receive 4G WiMax signals where you live, by all means upgrade to this phone. The phone itself is awesome and you won't regret it.

But, if you are like me living in a 3G area only, forget the upgrade and wait until Sprint starts rolling out LTE compatible devices (projected to be 2nd half) but with Sprint/Lightsquared fiasco going on now, I would seriously consider porting out.
on October 2, 2011
Awesome screen. Vibrant colors and 4.5".
Fast. Responsive.
Light. With great build quality.
Excellent camera.
I can't imagine a better phone.
on May 17, 2012
In many ways I love this phone. It's got a gorgeous screen, ample storage space, great camera, and very responsive. However there are two glaring issues that I'm having a hard time getting past.

Signal strength - coming from an Evo I'm used to pretty good signal. The Epic Touch 4g has 1 bar or no signal in the exact same places. It's annoying but not a dealbreaker since I can still get enough signal to make and receive calls most places.

GPS - horrible horrible. You can use the GPS but if you turn it off and back on, you'll have to restart the phone to get a location lock. Even with apps to clear the GPS cache, I still have to power off and on if I want to use the GPS. Even then, you better be outside when doing it, and it will still be slow. With Beautiful Widgets I very often get "invalid location" whether I've got it set for wireless network or GPS. That's not due to an update in the app., it only started happening when I bought the Epic Touch 4g. For someone who travels often, the GPS is a complete nightmare.

If you don't have need for GPS, the phone is a good option if you are in a WiMax area since Sprint will likely make those the last places to get LTE, but if you value your GPS like I do - you will want to choose a different phone.
on November 6, 2012
I am loving this phone! It's very clear and easy to use. The internal space (2g) is more than adequate for apps and downloads. It comes with an 8mp camera which is awesome! I tested the camera in a completely dark room and used the flash. The image came out extremely clear! The screen is huge and clear. The phone it self is slim.

I gave it only 4 stars for 2 reasons:
1. The phone is larger than what I am used to. A little too big for my hands
2. Every now and then it will freeze than a message comes up saying the Sprint ID stopped responding. I just hit OK and then the phone is normal and I just continue with what I was doing.

I never knew how much of a difference 4g would make until I got this phone. It's a BIG difference! I am pretty much in love with my phone!