on March 20, 2012
I tried this phone for a month after the HTC EVO 4G, but gave up on it due to some software issues. The hardware is pretty impressive. Large, high quality screen. Thin. Light. The battery couldn't make it through a day how I use it, but it can't on any other phone either.

But, the software has some quirks that killed it for me.

1. It doesn't have a way to set a default reminder time for new events in the calendar. Every time you add an event, you need to then click on the event, edit it, and add a reminder. This is painful after being lulled into not needing to do this by nearly every other calendaring program available today.

2. The camera takes great pics, as long as you don't need to adjust the lighting. One HTC phones, if you're in a mixed lighting situation, clicking to emphasize a part of the photo not only focuses the lens but it adjusts the light properly. Not on this phone.

3. I often needed to reset or at least go in/out of airplane mode to wake up the GPS.

4. The foldering system for photos is pretty painful as well.

As I said, the hardware if great, but the software has enough shortcomings to make this phone unusable for someone who uses the calendar, likes taking pictures, likes showing others the pictures I've taken, and expects the GPS to work when called on.
on October 21, 2011
The phone is good looking, light, fast, and all of those wonderful things. However, as Andrew has detailed above, it doesn't always work! I upgraded a total of 3 lines on my account to this Epic Touch 4g. Within a couple days all of the phones had experienced the "Loss of Service" issue described here: [...]

Basically, you pull your phone out of your pocket to see that its turned the cellular service off inexplicably, and you have to turn the phone all the way off and then back on again to make or receive calls, browse the web, or send a text message. I lost several sales opportunities due to this exact issue and ultimately had to return my phones. Sprint played dumb when I approached them about the issue and wanted to charge me a 35$ restocking fee PER PHONE, unless I spent hours in the sprint store so they could replicate the random problem.

Just save yourself the misery and do NOT buy this phone until these issues are resolved.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2012
I got this phone a few days ago from amazon wireless, and i liked it so much i realized i had to make a review! First, let me tell you about amazon wireless. Amazon Wireless is by FAR the easiest to use website for buying a phone with a two year contract. They even activate the phone for you, so when you turn it on its already activated! And they give you a free gift(Car charger!!!). Also, amazon wireless has some of the best prices around! And they even offer FREE two day shipping on all phones so they arrive super quick! It dosent get much better than that! So now let me tell you about the Samsung Galaxy S2 epic touch 4g android phone(i will be calling it 'galaxy' in this review because the name is too long), and why it is currently the best sprint phone on the market.

Pros:
-It is EXTREMELY light!!! It almost feels like your holding a toy!
-1.2 GHZ Dual-Core processor and 1GB RAM. For those of you who dont know what that means, it means it is VERY VERY VERY FAST! Currently the FASTEST sprint phone on the market!!!
-Good Size. Before i bought it, when i was looking at the pictures and reviews, i was afraid it would be so big that i wouldnt be able to handle it in one hand and it wouldn't even fit in my pocket. This is Definitely NOT the case. The screen is big yes, but i can still easily handle it in one hand and fits in all my pants, and shorts pockets.
-Beautiful super AMOLED screen, the brightness changes according to the environment!!! I think that's pretty cool!
-Screen is strong and scratch resistant
-Touchwiz
-8 megapixel camera, and HD 1080p video recording!! Galaxy's camera is even better than my point and shoot camera! I dont even use my camera anymore now that i have this phone!
-Very easy to use
-SUPER EASY to transfer files from computer to phone. After you connect using usb cable, the only thing you need to do is copy and paste stuff into your phone's folder!
Cons:
-The cable is pretty short
-does not come with headphones
Other stuff:
-Take a picture of screen by holding power button and home button at the same time!
-You can make your own folders and organize them
-Music and calls still are on when the screen is off
Whats in the box:
-Phone, battery, usb cable, ac power adapter.
on January 27, 2012
I got this phone to replace my aging Palm Pre. Being a frugal person, I wanted to stay with Sprint because I had a grandfathered SERO derivative plan called SERO Premium ($50 plus tax per month for 450 voice min, unlimited text and unlimited data).

The phone absolutely kicked butt when I used it at my home office via WIFI (I have FIOS 25/25 service). Speedtest.net averaged around 5 mbps down and 6 mbps up.

Unfortunately, its a whole different story when using it on the road where Speedtest.net averaged around 600 kbps down and 500 kbps up in Central NJ.

There are no existing 4G towers so I am defaulting to 3G which pretty much cripples the phone.

To boot, Sprint STOPPED rolling out 4G WiMax towers and will instead be rolling out 4G LTE towers during 2nd half of 2012 and into 2013.

Although they are both labeled 4G, these are two distinct technologies and my current Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch is ONLY ABLE to operate under 4G WiMax.

So what does that mean for me? Since there is no existing 4G WiMax service where I live now, and any new 4G LTE will not be compatible with my shiny new phone, I would be using it EXCLUSIVELY as a 3G phone for the life of the contract (2 years).

It would be nice if Sprint employee informed me of this when I purchased it, don't you think? Well, I decided to return this phone (within 14 days and eat the $36 activation fee) and will be porting out to Verizon Wireless where they have extensive 4G LTE coverage in my area.

So, if you currently can receive 4G WiMax signals where you live, by all means upgrade to this phone. The phone itself is awesome and you won't regret it.

But, if you are like me living in a 3G area only, forget the upgrade and wait until Sprint starts rolling out LTE compatible devices (projected to be 2nd half) but with Sprint/Lightsquared fiasco going on now, I would seriously consider porting out.
on May 31, 2012
I COPY MY STORY FROM THE SPRINT FORUM

This is my story with Sprint

I bought a Galaxy S2 in October 2011, beautiful phone, loved it since the very first day, activated it, all went very smoothly, good signal, good connection speed, all good for the first couple of days ( the first 30 days are the most important ones, because during this trial period is where you decide if you want to keep the phone, the company, the plan).

But in February 12, 2012 ( just 4 months after purchase... 4 months into my 2 year contract) I started having problems with my service. I noticed that i kept getting voicemails from phone calls I did not hear, just the voicemail, no missed calls, when i tried to reply these calls i wouldnt be able to, calls were not going through, that day i ignored the issue, maybe its just a temporary thing i said to myself. But over the next 2 days the problem persisted and i decided to call Sprint to complain. I was told there was a service outtage and that the issue should resolve within 24-48 hours ( This was 4 months ago! ). Needless to say the issue was not resolved, and 72 hours later i called and i was told that the issue was going to resolve that night " at 10:34 Central time", at 10:35 central time the issue was still there, then they said "tomorrow", tomorrow came, still same problem.

I was told i had to reset my phone (meaning back up my contacts and lose all my apps); which i did, still the issue persisted
I was told to take the phone to the nearest sprint repair center, which i did. But here is the issue, the phone worked perfectly when i took it to the repair center, that's when i realized (while the guy at the center was looking at me as if was a mad man claiming to have seen an alien) that my phone did not work exclusively in my appartment, and everywhere else in chicago it worked perfectly. I was told by the very nice guy who helped me (yes, the only person out of the 125.. ish sprint representatives that i spoke to who actually helped me) that i should try to get an Airwave device of something of the sort.

I called and inquired about such device and was told that we need to wait to see if the issue resolves before getting it. 2 weeks gone by, nearly 3 and still i was unable to communicate in my apartment or nearby. During one of these calls i am told that the tower that seems to be affecting my cell phone will be down until September, and that in the meantime there is nothing that can be done.

I call again and (at this point i begin to lose my patience) ask nicely if i am expected not to make a phone call from my apartment for the next 6 months. Then I get this airwave thing approved.
I set it up and it worked the first couple of days, but then it kept getting disconected, turning lights on and off, blinking yellow and green, not knowing when it's working, when it is not, i called sprint several times and each time i was told to reset, a process that required waiting until the next day to see if the whole thing had worked.

4 months have gone by and Still i am :
- unable to communicate with my fiance and my family when i get home from work
- Unable to return my work related calls ( i am a doctor, i am expected to answer within the minute when i am paged... it would take me an average of 10 minutes, some 20-30 call attempts to actually get a phone call out)
- Receive calls from delivery services when i ordered something, after while i just ordered carry out, thanks to my phone.
- Receive the so called "follow up calls" from Sprint, the next day to see if my issue had been solved

Now, i hope someone would undertand how frustrating it is that everytime i called sprint to complain about this issue, someone completely new and unaware of my problems would answer the phone, i had to explain the issue, they would ask some stupid questions and then transfer me to a higher up person, of course, to whom i would have to explain the whole thing one more time, only to be fed lies about timelines and expectations to have my issue solved.

I dont ask for much from a phone company, i ask to be able to make and receive phone calls. Before sprint i was with metro PCS a company that charged me 40 bucks a month for which i was able to make and receive [hone calls without any problem.... and no contract. I decided to "upgrade" went to a larger company, with larger national coverage and bout a much nicer phone, that tweets and updates facebook status without any problems... but cant make or receive a damn phone call when i am in my apartment.

My greatest dissapointment is not the fact that I Had a problem, MY GREATEST DISSAPOINMENT is the POOR COSTUMER SERVICE THAT I RECEIVED FROM SPRINT. To the point that when i asked about terminating my contract and perhaps having the early termination fee waved, a guy yelled at me, told me that I was using my phone regularly and thus i was getting the service i paid for and then had the nerve to ask me to reply "yes" when asked if he had solved my issue in the next day survey ( i only got that survey phone call once, and lucky for that guy, it wasnt for him).

Today I spoke with a cancellation agent, determined to cancel my line and switch to another company before i lose my job, my marriage or my mind. The guy told me that i did not qualify to have the erly termination fee because " there are not enough towers down in my sector". Well, thats just about great.

This did it for me, tomorrow i will pay that early termination fee, move to another company (this time i wont be looking at phone specs, brands, data speed or even monthly payments) , i will move to the company with the highest costumer satisfaction, as the past 4 months have taught me that this is the most important thing when dealing with a phone company.

I asked the guy who tried to help me today ( nice guy, nothing personal) for an email to try to write someone my story, my dissapointment and my opinion, he said there was no one i could write to. Thus i decided that i would write everyone about it, i hope this post is not erased, but if it is i plan to post it on amazon ( i bought my phone through them) and everwhere else where people might listen, because if Sprint wont listen i hope the current costumers and potential costumers of sprint will.

I Know this is an isolated issue regarding sprint's coverage, i will admit that almost everywhere else in chicago my phone works great, but the lack of help and level of abuse i have had ( or felt) from sprint is the take home point from this post.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2012
I had the Galaxy S Epic 4g upgraded to Galaxy S2 Epic touch 4g. Things that didnt change.

1. Battery does not last compared to my new HTC EVO 3D since day one. (Not fixed from Epic 4g)
2. Slowest phone in it's class could be because the processor cant handle it or they cant customize Android OS for their hardware.(Not fixed from Epic 4g)
3. GPS never works when it does it will lose it's connection 2 blocks or a mile before an exit you had to take.(Not fixed from Epic 4g)
4. Phone gets really hot in my pocket from background running apps(New problem)
5. Skips sending text msgs to people until phone is reset (New problem)
6. Contacted Samsung they said send us the phone with no replacement in the mean while. Went out and bought a HTC without a contract.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2011
After receiving the Galaxy SII, on Oct 5, 2011 the phone immediately began opening and closing its own programs when attached to the cell phone charger. On Nov 15, 2011 the phone started malfunctioning. It began to go into and out of drive mode, would dial random numbers, announce that it was plugged in when it was not plugged in, and finally aside from the random freezing it will turn itself back on when it is shut off. After speaking with WIREFLY they said it was outside their window and recommended I call SAMSUNG because its under their warranty. I trouble shot the phone until 18 Nov with SAMSUNG over a different phone. After the troubleshooting failed SAMSUNG said it was necessary to send in for a repair and said they would put a rush on it because it's a new phone. They claimed they would send me a two day shipping label under ticket. After I printed the UPS label they sent me a five day label not a two day. Then after 1.5 hours of phone calls SAMSUNG resent the label under ticket and after I sent the phone in on 19 Nov 2011 I didn't receive it back until 2 Dec. I sent the phone in with a letter which had bulleted the issues the phone had. On 2 Dec, as soon as I received the package, I turned it on it began malfunctioning exactly the same way it was prior to 19 Nov. In the end SAMSUNG said they did a software update and ran a test that said that it was functioning. If they actually turned on the phone they would have seen all the issues I previously mentioned of which all issues remain.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 17, 2011
This is such an amazing phone, fast, not a single lag or hickup, and its HUGH! thank you samsung for actually creating a really good phone!
on February 9, 2013
I loved this phone, but I've just got my third one ordered through a protection plan because they keep breaking. The first one had a serious hardware failure and the second one has a host of problem from a loose usb charger connection to that unwanted driving mode that got forced down my throat. I can't even back up my stuff onto an SD Card. When this phone breaks, it breaks hardcore. It lasts for about 6 months before all the problems come rolling in, it's really hard not to smash it from anger. Samsung really put out a high-tech piece of china. It's not like I abuse the phone either. I just carry it around in my pocket all day. Why is that so much to ask that a phone be worth what I pay for it? Really hope they let me switch phones after the next one breaks because with a 100% failure rate, it will.

Ultimately I long for the day when an EMP strike wipes out technology as we know it. I'm so sick of having to carry around a cell phone. As soon as my contract is over I'm getting rid of it. Thats right, this phone pisses me off so much I never want a cell phone again. Screw you Samsung.
on September 7, 2014
This phone was good when it worked, but only after a couple months, then the charging port breaks easy. There is no way to fix it, there are no parts for purchase anywhere on samsung's website. Waste of money. They should pay more attention to the strength and durability of the charge port. I will not buy this phone and possibly not this brand again.