Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pantech Breakout 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 11, 2014
A great entry level smart phone, if you are looking for the basics without getting to complicated. It even supports 4g LTE which is uncommon on cheaper phones.
on November 23, 2011
This is a great phone for only paying a penny to upgrage (much better price than the Verizon website). I'm quite happy with this.

What I like:
- 8 GB microSD card included
- One button and only one button wakes the phone up, and then you have to unlock it. Great to prevent butt dialing or accidently bringing up an application that uses data.
- Connects to WiFi to help conserve data
- Swype is a cool feature that helps texting
- Easy and very user friendly to use

Dislikes
- This one you can't help but still: VERIZON BLOATWARE that you cannot delete or uninstall without rooting.
- Is there a way to configure the touch screen? My wife has a hard time texting using her fingernails.

One great tip: On most all reviews for smart phones, battery is an issue. To help, download Juice Defender and turn off unnecessary functions, i.e. turn off data if you're not using it, turn off WiFi if you're not near a wireless network, etc...
on April 18, 2014
My wife purchased this phone for her first smartphone. Of course, compared to my galaxy phone, it has many shortcomings. But it meets the need of my wife's everyday use, and she is very satisfied with this phone. I would recommend this phone to first smartphone users or casual phone users.
on October 12, 2011
I just upgraded from Droid Eris to this phone.

I love the easy to use system. Also it's smaller then other 4G phones by Verizon. This phone has a great looking screen that makes wallpapers look ultra cool.

This phone also not as high priced as the other Android smart phones and I don't feel cheated at all this phone is just as good as the others and easy to use as well.
on December 19, 2011
I got the Pantech Breakout on its release date, so I write this with a few months experience with the unit. I wanted to replace my long in tooth Droid Eris which still worked fine but was extremely slow. I wanted a relatively compact phone that would fit in my pocket and considered the iPhone 4/4s. After extensively trying my girlfriend's iPhone 4, I decided I did not want to give up Android's Google services integration. (esp Google Maps with Navigation). I was also intrigued by faster data speeds from LTE available in Chicagoland area. I played around with all the other available 4g LTE phones but found them all too heavy or big. The Breakout felt the easiest to pocket. Here are my impressions over past few months.

Let's get the bad stuff out first.

BAD:

Weird google calendar sync issue that causes phone not to display repeating events- I believe this is an Android related issue more than phone issue. The odd thing is that repeating events displayed fine until about a month after I got phone. I tried factory reset of phone and it would fix things until the next sync event. I wonder if google changed something server side on calendar service. I read forums that seem to indicate thos problem sporatically affects different makes and models of phones using android 2.2 and higher. My old eris runs 2.1 and does not experience this. Repeat events get created fine and display on all my iOS devices, on web, and even on my WebOS devices. To get around this, I do not use repeat events. My schedule does not really have any repeating events, and I simply enter the few that do manually a few months in advance. I am not even sure other people will run into this problem, I have feeling there is something I did to my google services settings that is causing this.

Relatively small internal storage- only 390mb

Bloatware- there are a ton of useless apps pre-loaded on this phone. They chew up precious internal memory, RAM, and burn battery life.

Intermittent static crackling sounds heard through headphone jack during heavy 4g usage- I suspect this is a shielding issue combined with silicon case I use. Turning off 4g and using 3g eliminates crackling. It was so bad that I exchanged phone. Second Breakout I got was much better. If I hold second phone in weird way (think "antennagate grip") I can hear very faint rare static sound if I listen for it. Haven't heard it in normal every day use.

Main camera is slow and had no flash. Quality of images is average at best. I am used to camera slowness, but having flash would have been nice.

Now on to the GOOD:

Price: Costs around what feature phones cost.

Build quality: I was pleasantly surprised at phone's construction. It is light but does not flex or creak. Texture on back prevents slippage.

Physical buttons- nothing beats physical buttons for tactile feedback. Oldschool, but I cannot remember a time where I triggered something unintentionally on this phone. Nice change from repeatedly pounding on a virtual button that just won't register my finger.

Data- excellent speeds on LTE and faster on EVDO than most other 3g phones I have used. The ability to force 3g only highly useful to save battery life when faster LTE not needed or available.

Voice- decent quality and plenty loud. Bluetooth connection works well with my headsets and Lexus vehicles (handsfree and bluetooth audio)

Decent battery life for 4g device- once you change default settings so it is not constantly syncing every five minutes.

Simultaneous voice & data on Verizon! I am surprised more people don't mention this. Regardless of whether on 4g or 3g, this phone can hold a phone call while transferring data. Most other 4g phones on Verizon can only do this by using LTE or WIFI for data while on call. Only Thunderbolt (which apparently uses same radio baseband chips) can do simultaneous voice and data on CDMA 3g.

CONCLUSIONS:

This is an excellent value 4g phone for anyone who can get over not having the latest and greatest multi core fire breathing phone. I find this phone rarely makes me wait, runs the apps I need, accesses data fast, and connects calls reliably. I was ready to spend hundreds more for a 4g phone, but I did not have to.

Hope this review helps anyone considering phone. Comment with any questions, and I will try to answer as I can.

UPDATE:

Phone was super easy to root using z rush method via super 1 click. After rooting, I froze all that useless bloatware and that seemed to reduce battery usage. I only use a few critical apps so I have not bothered uninstalling the bloatware. Would rather keep close to stock in case a good OTA update gets pushed out.
on April 12, 2013
I had an HTC phone that I really liked. Unfortunately it came to a tragic end and I needed to get a new phone in the middle of my contract. I didn't feel like shelling out $400 for a phone so I got this turd. This phone was OK for about a month. Then the battery life started to take a dive and it just went downhill from there. I live in an area with great coverage and I still get crappy voice reception. Plus it gained this awesome new feature of randomly turning off. Sometimes it reboots, most of the time it just gives me the middle finger and dies (even with a full charge). Sometimes I have to remove and replace the battery to get it to turn back on. Sometimes that doesn't work and I have to sit here and wait for it to decide that it feels like turning on when I hit the button. I did a factory reset and still had the same problem. Of course nobody is going to buy this phone now since it's outdated and I might as well talk to the wind.
on September 16, 2014
I agree with all the other reports that this phone is a dumb phone wrapped in a smart phone's shell. I bought it to get me from a broken phone to January when I get an upgrade and it does it's required job (call and answer the phone) fantastically. Unfortunately it just can't do anything else. No memory due to bulkware, always freezes or crashes, very slow processor.

Very good swipe technology though. So that's a plus.
on October 22, 2014
Had it a month then it stopped holding a charge. Ordered s new battery and it does the same. I CANNOT USE THE PHONE and I can't return it because it only has a 30 day return window. Do not buy this piece of crap! Seriously!
on August 14, 2015
Great back-up phone. And the price of less than $40 shipped, makes it a good value. It requires a standard size SIM. Which is a bit difficult to remove once inserted. Otherwise, its worth the $40.
FYI - the unit does not come with a manual, it does come with a card directing you to the on-line .pdf users manual the URL is: http://bit.ly/addr8995man
on October 1, 2014
I trusted other reviews and bought this. Just want to let you know that you'll get what you paid for. It's only helpful for you if you want to just make phone calls that's it!!! it's funny because sometimes I text someone and s/he replies and not only I don't get to see my own text, but also the reply. VERY FUNNY and it happened more than once to me...