on November 27, 2012
My old Droid R2D2 went for a swim and didn't survive. So I found myself in need of a replacement and didn't have much extra cash. I found the HTC Rhyme and, even though it's purple, it's a pretty good phone. I've had it about 4 months at.

It's fast, I haven't had any reception problems, and it looks good even for being purple.

It comes with some little square thing that connects to the phone and lights up when your phone rings. From what I could figure out, this was designed to hang out of a purse so you don't miss any calls. My cat chewed through the wire in the first day and I don't have a purse anyway so I can't tell you how handy it was. It did work the one time I tried it and it seems like it could be helpful.

It also comes with a charging dock that has speakers in it. This is awesome if you like to watch videos on your phone since they are such a drain on your battery. The obvious drawback is that you have to watch the videos while you are sitting in one place, but I am able to sit it on my desk at work. However, since Verizon got rid of their unlimited data plans, I don't watch as much video on my phone anymore.

As for video, the phone plays most video without any issues. Most of my video watching is on wi-fi, but using 3G for video works great.

Speaking of Wi-fi, I generally leave the wi-fi option on. This gets a little tricky if you go somewhere such as Starbuks where you can use free Wi-Fi, but you need to log in. If you are trying to use an app that accesses the internet, the phone will just act as if it cannot get a signal. You have to activate the browser to accept the terms of the Wi-fi provider. Not sure if it's this way on all phones or not, but it's quite annoying.

I use the GPS a lot to track my bicycle trips through the Strava app. In the past, I have had a trip or 2 that said I rode out into the Pacific Ocean. I have not had that problem with this phone so the GPS tracking seems to be accurate.

The only other big drawback to this phone is that sometimes I get a message saying the internal phone memory isn't sufficient to update an app only to be ok when it auto updates later. Not sure what the issue is, but it is also one of those small annoyances.

The phone is ok. It's really geared toward the female demographic. It's not overly complicated, it comes in purple, and it has the purse thingy. If I was female, I would probably rate it higher, but I'm a guy who is a little more into gadgets. When I upgrade my phone, I will give this one to my fiance.
on April 21, 2012
This phone is a must need for any girl. The color is beautiful, and the phone fits nicely in any pocket. It takes wonderfully pictures, and it doesn't freeze. I have had it for a month, and I use it every day. Buy it if you think you want it, cause you won't regret it.
on November 29, 2011
I've had my phone for almost a month now - and if I could love a mechanical and inanimate object - this would be it. The charm is fun to use and the touch screen and apps are relatively painless and easily customizable.

I'm hard-of-hearing and with the volume set at max and with the "extra boost" for in-coming calls - I have noooooo problems hearing people. AND friends/family tell me that I'm clearer on their end too!

Texting is easy and I've only managed to send a few auto-correct "oops". I like how the phone vibrates a bit as I type letting me know that I indeed am hitting the keys.

Issues - my 8gb SD card arrived inoperable. Not a happy camper was I, but after talking with the folks at amazon, it got squared away and a refund is waiting for me to use. I upgraded the 8gb to a 16gb for a few dollars more. Haven't had any issues after that. The only other issue is that for some wacky reason - when I download an app - I literally have to do it twice to get it to "stick".
on April 5, 2013
It is not just a Quote "bad batch" I am on my 4th Rhyme and I hate it. My phone has horrible signal strength even though my husbands Incredible 4G gets amazing signal and works great even if we are in the exact same place. My phone constantly messes up when making calls no one can hear me it is as though I am muted and being that my husband works out of state this is horrible because we cannot talk on the phone because we both get so frustrated that we end up hanging up and texting. Do not even think about calling any call centers for support because if your phone mutes you as mine does nothing will make it work and they will hang up on you and you will have to call again and wait once again for a rep. WAY TOO MANY GLITCHES!!! Text is awful my touch keyboard does not always react, sends month old messages at random, and when I go to text many times the old message will be there so I will first have to erase that message (even though it sent) and than text. Oh and did I mention I have only had my new service with Verizon for 2 MONTHS!! Yes 2 MONTHS and 4 PHONES!! Bad batch?? NO BAD PHONE!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Rhyme is an... well, a kind of purple-ish average spec Android phone. For gamers and heavy users this phone just won't do. It isn't LTE and doesn't come with a lot of processing power. But what it does have is style and accessories.

The phone stands out. There isn't another phone of this color that I'm aware of. And while I'm not a fan, the women who have this phone that I know love the color and the sense of style it conveys. The UI from HTC is more bare bones than some of the better UIs like Sense, but it works easily and looks good on the phone. When I played with it I was reminded of the first gen Android phones, only faster processing. Basic, functional and easy.

The accessories are where this phone shines the brightest. The dock is basically a $50 accessory thrown in. And it isn't a standard plug in dock, it is slanted and looks, well, cooler. The charm may seem like a useless dongle, but I've seen it in action and it is neat. It lights up when a call comes in. So when the phone is in your purse and the charm is hanging out you can see it light up without having to see your phone. Again, this is all about style instead of real functionality.

The bottom line is this: I've seen several women love this phone and use the accessories. And I've never seen a man enjoy the phone and I don't know one that would use the charm. So if you are an average user looking for social networking on a good, stylish phone than the Rhyme is a good option.
on December 15, 2011
I was so excited to buy this phone. It was a total upgrade for me and I thought it would be a good starter smart phone. I love the color and it takes great pictures with the back and front camera. It's also so thin it fits into the side pocket of my purse easily.

However, I hate the fact it only has a virtual keyboad. I know everyone said I just have to get use to it, but its been 2 weeks now and I want to throw it out the window sometimes. I almost have to push the letter next to the letter I actually want. The auto correct, although at times is a good feature, can become frustrating especially after I go back three times to change the word to what I want it to read! Ive had issues with trying to use the backspace arrow because it freezes up. I also don't like there is no directional arrows that I can go back in a text without erasing it as I go.

Yesterday I woke up and the apps (camera, phone, mail, messages) that were set up on my home page were gone. Just disappeared. Also, I no longer received a notification sound when a text was received and yes, my setting were correct. I couldn't add the apps back on to the home page. I was so frustrated and was going to take it back. However, yesterday I tried again and I COULD add them again to my home page. Still no notification sound when I received a text, that was, until last night. Out of the blue it started working again.

Today when I had it on the docking station, it did not change the screen to show it. It stayed on the phones home page. I turned it on and off and now seems to be fine.

I know there are some features that I need to get use to, but this is becoming some frustrating. I believe I have 30 days to return it. I don't want to go through the hassle, but I also don't want to continue putting up with this.

I'm so disappointed.
on December 23, 2013
I got this phone about 15 months ago. I love it. It's easy to use. I never did use the charm but that's just me. I love the docking station. It's so nice to be able to drop it on there. It charges quickly. I will admit I've been really had on this phone. Been dropped many times. The screen did crack after hitting concrete. It worked like nothing was wrong. Then I got mad and threw it. The screen cracked all the way. It still works the cracks are so bad I didn't think it would. I love this phone. I love the color and the design of it.
on March 14, 2013
I just upgraded from my HTC Incredible. I really wanted to stick with HTC because I am so spoiled by HTC's text reflow in their browser. Any size, any zoom level, and the text reflows so you can read it without panning back and forth. It's so intuitive. I thought all phones had this!! (They SHOULD.) It's so necessary on such a small screen! Thanks, HTC, for such a great feature.

Now, specifically about the Rhyme. First of all, it has a really solid feel to it. The metal frame speaks of how well built it is; it is not creaky at all. The screen is beautiful and sharp, with very nice colors. The battery life is great. It almost lasts two full days- pretty awesome for a smartphone. I really liked the handy Quick Settings tab under the Notifications panel. You can turn on or off bluetooth, mobile network, airplane mode, mobile hotspot, go to wifi settings, manage memory and data usage, go to recent apps, or adjust the volume. This is very intuitive and quite a thoughtful upgrade. This is gingerbread on steroids! Also, the quick unlock with the four apps of your choice on the lock-screen is well thought out. I wasn't sure what to think about having to crop the wallpaper at first, but I must say the results have been beautiful. It will also automatically go to speakerphone if you flip it over. There isn't a lot of bloatware on this phone- kudos! The interface is beautiful, smooth, and very customizable with LOTS of handy widgets to choose from. (79 to be exact!) In fact, there were so many, I almost wished for more screens.
My only complaint? HTC's excellent flashlight app has disappeared! I did manage to find it on a developer's site and download it, so all is not lost. This is truly nitpicky! But this is one app I use quite a bit, and I don't want ads.
All in all, a very worthy upgrade from my HTC Incredible and highly recommended.
on May 15, 2012
I've been using this phone for I don't know how long its amazing!!! I love my phone!! The dock charges it pretty quick for me and you can even leave ur phone on the dock to either listen to your music you have on ur phone or make a call because the dock has built in speakers and the head set is awesome to tangle free!! I would give this phone a 10 star rating if I could LOL! I play all kinds of games on my phone like angry birds, bejeweled, The Sims free play, and many others! The camera is awesome the internet on it is awesome!! I didn't purchase this phone off of amazon cuz I was already a Verizon customer so I did a upgrade from a local Verizon store but i wanted to do this review on amazon cuz I love amazon anyways lol But I had had other android phones smart phones and this is the best one I have had yet!! Everyone has there own preference on what options they want but this one was perfect for me had everything I wanted and more!!!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2012
I've had this phone for about 3 weeks now and I really like it. It's an upgrade from my Verizon Vortex and I'm enjoying all it's features. The dock is an added bonus and the sound quite surprising.

Two things I found lacking/annoying:

1. The port for charging seems very delicate - I charge in the dock whenever possible because I'm afraid the port cover will break off if I breathe too hard on it.

2. The Dock, while really quite nice and actually a necessity for my reason stated above, does have it's shortcomings. When you put a cover on your phone, it no longer fits into the dock and the connectors don't 'connect'. Removing the phone cover every time you want to use the dock (almost daily for me) is really not an option, not to mention how annoyingly difficult covers are to remove (even with the tool). I wish the design of the dock had taken this into consideration so I could just drop my phone with cover and all into.

I'll most likely use one of those silicone covers since they can be easily removed but I don't care for them and they don't seem to offer as much protection.

Everything else about the phone is quite nice.