Showing 1-10 of 185 reviews(5 star). See all 270 reviews
on November 3, 2017
This high-quality pneumatic door closer (which comes in white and three other colors) works perfectly on my (white) front storm door. It installed in about 10-12 minutes after I removed the old closer. Its closing speed is relatively simple to adjust, as needed, with just a Phillips-head screwdriver. My storm door now closes with the perfect amount of delay, allowing me to enter my house without the door closing on me too quickly. This is especially useful when I'm carrying an armload of items through the doorway. My front storm door now slowly closes every time with a soft but firm "click" of the door's lock. Being a heavy duty model, I'm anticipating Ideal's pneumatic closer to last for many years, and so I'm strongly recommending it to all who read this review.
4 people found this helpful
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 12, 2016
Our big old house is an 1890 Victorian. It has a hallway leading to the back bedrooms. That hallway has a door. Our big old house is full of teenagers. 4 of them. And their friends. The teenagers are brain dead. They can’t remember anything. Like how to close the hallway door. And keep it closed! So my wife and I get to listen to their music and laughter. All the time. Day and night. Because the hallway door isn’t closed. My wife and I deserve some peace and quiet. We’ve earned it.

And we’ve finally figured out how to get it !!!

We can’t shoot the teenagers because that’s against the law. But we can make sure the hallway door stays closed. How? Through the simple expedient of installing a pneumatic door closer. What a stroke of genius! Should have done that years ago. But it only recently crossed our tired, feeble little minds.

The unit we selected was the SK1730W Heavy Duty Door Closer in White by Ideal Security Inc. Cost was less than $16. It’s quiet, unobtrusive and boy oh boy, does it ever work well! We’re now enjoying the sound of silence. Well, almost.

Installation was easy, and only common hand tools were needed to get it done. Removal will be just as easy once the kids are grown and moved out of the house. They do leave eventually, don’t they? When we finally do remove it, there won’t be any telltale footprint left behind and only 7 little screw holes will need to be filled with caulk or putty. And that’s something easily accomplished during our next repainting job.

The finished installation looks neat, smooth and unobtrusive. The matte white color blends nicely with our existing trim color, so there was no need to repaint it. Operation is consistent and silent. The unit has a stop catch to hold the door in any desired position between almost closed and completely wide open. That’s a nice little feature for those hot summer evenings when you want to prop the door open to allow some breeze thru your house to cool it down without having that same breeze slam the door shut. We like that.

For a few dollars and a little time, this has turned into one of the best purchases we’ve made in ages. Would we do it again? You bet! Would we recommend it to family or friends? Absolutely!
14 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on August 11, 2018
It was easy to install. All the hardware was included for the installation. For my application, which was for a steel type security screen door, I pre-drilled all the holes on the wooden door jamb and the steel door. I applied some grease to the screws going into the steel door to make it easier to turn the screws going into the steel door, working them back and forth by hand until they seated properly. (I used a large screwdriver it so I wouldn't snap off the screw heads by using my electric impact driver). It's a very strong door closer and I was pleased with its performance so far. It was so strong by itself, I didn't need to install the chain, but I saved it just in case. I was concerned to use it on my steel door, but it worked out fine. Oh yeah, I didn't install it on top of the door jamb, but rather on the middle section of the door, horizontally with the door knob/dead bolt. The steel door had horizontal metal flat bars which made it easy to install.
on May 2, 2016
This thing is beefy! Much thicker then the two other ones I bought here in the past. I live in a windy area and both previous purchases bent when the door was slammed open by it. I don't think I'll have the same issue with this one at all.

It provides a nice smooth adjustable closing rate so if you need it to close fast or slow it covers your preference. I'm very happy with my purchase and believe this may be the last time I need to buy one of these things :)
2 people found this helpful
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 22, 2017
-I bought two of these and they lasted one year, exactly, one year. -one just lets the door slam, and then you hear the fluid move... and the other is failing... door slams most of the time. -completely unadjustable at this point... got the screw all the way in to "slow close" and doors just slam. -these were cheap, but not worth the price I paid... on the hunt again for a decent door closer.

-update:
-someone at Ideal Security actually cares... they had me contact their engineering staff, they helped me select the Correct closer for my application (pneumatic, not this model), send them the old ones to investigate what went wrong, and sent me new closers free of charge!

-this is a company that cares about the customer.

*lesson learned: there are pneumatic (air) closers, and hydraulic (fluid; this model) closers, and it depends what type of door you have as to which closer you should use. the folks at Ideal Security can tell you which model to choose with a good description and/or some photos of your application... take the time to contact them, they will help.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 9, 2015
I had bought 2 of the fancy use your foot to lock and unlock the door closer. The older style like this one rocks compared to the newer ones in my opinion. Nothing like having the door stuck wide open or almost closed. Not a problem wiih this one. Highly recomend this for anyone that just wants a door closer that works.
3 people found this helpful
on February 4, 2018
This is a great product and I have been very happy with it and it works great . A couple of weeks ago I lost the screw to the pump adjuster and contacted Ideal's customer service and while they couldn't just send me out the screw I needed they sent me a complete new closer. I have never had a big box store or any large corporation do this for me . They have a customer for life. They stand by their money back guarantee. I plan on buying some of their home security products soon.
on October 31, 2017
It's perfect..replaced my damaged one with this....tension is adjustable and worked for my Florida Pool Cage once adjusted correctly, BUT you need to purchase a different door bracket for the door frame. The one that comes with this is NOT for a Florida Pool cage. Everything else about this is great. Really built well...quality... BTW thanks Hurricane Irma for all the damage.....Anyway, this is recommended...5 star item.
on December 8, 2016
Quick and easy to install. I love this door closer. It looks great and is easy to adjust how long it takes to close. Installation was pretty easy, about 10 minutes or so. Very happy with the price too.
3 people found this helpful
on October 2, 2017
This closure is far better than the lightweight one that came with my expensive storm door. This one has a much stronger pull and can close the door even when the wind is blowing. As someone else has already said this is an opener like they used to be!
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.