on December 27, 2011
I have never been a fan of Samsung products. I owned the original Focus and had several issues with it, so I was skeptical about the new version, but since the Titan was just too darned big, I when with the Focus S. I've been very happy with it. It's slim, the screen is gorgeous, the processor is speedy, the battery life is well within acceptable ranges and the camera is on par with other 8 mps on the market. It's not a game changer of a phone, but as far as a Windows Phone vehicle goes, you're not going to find much better.

As for Windows 7.5 (Mango), it's everything I've ever wanted in a non-iPhone. Enough said.
on December 26, 2011
Having owned six different smartphones (iphones and androids) in the past six years, I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth the phone works. Things just work. The extra large display screen is just a thing of beauty.
on December 24, 2011
Screen: the 4.3" Super AMOLED+ screen is in one: beautiful. The resolution is still only 800x480 but I haven't noticed any pixelation whatsoever. Some have reported that there is a slight blue hue to the whites on the phone, but again, I haven't noticed it. I have the phone on full brightness pretty much all the time and the screen just blows me away.

OS: WP7.5 (Mango) is definitely a huge step in the right direction. It's as silky as ever, on par with iOS and it never stutters or lags. Everything you need is literally either a push of a tile or a flick of the finger. You no longer need 5 different apps to check your Facebook, Twitter or Windows Live. The massive use of black supports the type of screen very well since blacks consume very little power on a Super AMOLED+ display. However, I would stay away from the "light" theme a whites consume more power than usual. There are a lot of little things that shows that Microsoft has paid attention to the details. When using the keyboard, if you have sounds enabled, there are around 8 different tones that play. A nice touch, but it does somewhat lag behind what you are actually typing in (just the sound, not the typing itself).

Hardware: I have always been a fan of the way Samsung makes their phones. Many people say the phones feel cheap and plasticy, but I just don't find that to be the case. To each their own. The back cover is a little flimsy but it's not too bad. I wish the 3.5mm jack was on the bottom like on their Nexus S, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker.

Camera: The camera is a pleasure to work with. It has an 8MP rear camera and a 1.3MP front facing camera. The rear camera is able to shoot 720p video that looks just as good as the competition, maybe a little better. It is unable to do 1080p because it lacks a dual-core processor. The dedicated camera button is definitely a welcome edition.

Internals: The second gen 1.4Ghz single core CPU allows the phone to hum along nicely. No hiccups at all. At the moment WP7 does not need dual-core processors to do the job so do not consider this a con. However I do have an issue with the GPU. I am assuming the Focus S is still using the Adreno 200 or the Adreno 205. Both being dated games won't run nearly as smoothly as they will on Android or iOS. I dont play much games, but there is a noticeable difference between Fruit Ninja on this phone and the Galaxy S (let alone the 4S and the S2)
on December 8, 2011
I lived with an HTC Incredible for 18+ months that, overall, I liked. It never really synced completely correctly with Outlook (if you accidentally accepted an invitation to a meeting on the phone, you had to remove the account and set it up again to clear sync errors!). When the Gingerbread update came out (two of them, a day apart), my HTC Incredible was incredibly useless.

I surrendered and switched to AT&T so I could get this phone, and I love it. The UI is intuitive, fast, useful, and best of all: Outlook just plain works perfectly.

My wife had recently updated from an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4, and was nearly in tears after she spent a few minutes playing with my new phone (and desperately wishing she could get one, too).

The UI, while not perfect, is leaps beyond both iPhone and Android.
on November 11, 2011
This phone is very nice! Although some folks think that the 16GB memory is too small, it's plenty for storing tons of songs, and photos, and a good amount of Apps. If you like having every song in your bazillion song collection, then maybe this baby is not your phone. But for most people, 16GB is more then enough. My prior phone the iphone 3GS, and original Samsung Focus were both 16GB and I hardly ever was using all the memory.

The recent update to Windows phone, aka "Mango" is an important and awesome upgrade making this phone, and OS a very real alternative to either Android or the iphone.

To rate the 3 systems, I say Windows phone and the Apple iPhone are in a tie, both has their respective advantages..and Android is in a lagging 2nd, Sorry Blackberry you're now in distant 3rd... I gave up on you years ago.

Regarding ,Android although a decent OS only grew so fast because the management at Microsoft were a little to slow to react to the iPhone. That has now changed.

If you use a Windows machine, the Focus S has the potential to be so much better intergrated than that of an Apple Iphone to your Windows PC. It's a no brainer if you're a PC. It's super thin, light, the screen is even better than the original Focus (which is great). I wouldn't upgrade to the S if you're not due for a contract renewal upgrade because although the Focus S a improvement, the original Focus (now 1 year old), the original is still a good phone and very competive against many brand new phones on the market.

I often get "wow, cool phone is that Android?" Sort of funny and annoying at the same time. I give the phone 4 stars because of no expandable memory for those who might want more. I would also like to see a Samsung phone that has some other materials used, such as metals, like the iphone.
on November 11, 2011
This phone is just amazing, best phone I have owned or tried thus far.

Both the hardware and os do not disappoint and this is coming from an iPhone and android tablet (Motorola Xoom) user.
Performance of this phone is awesome. For what I use this phone for which is what 99% of people do, I must admit that it runs as smooth if not better than the iPhone 4s which to me is now the standard for smart phones.

No amount of explanation will do justice to how good/integated this OS is so just try it out for yourself preferably with help from a real windows phone user not those ignorant att reps.

I am no loyalist, if Apple or Google or whoever comes out with something better I will not hesitate to switch when its time for an upgrade.

All the apps I need are available but I will advise anyone trying to switch to windows phone 7 to always check since they don't have as many/all the apps as IOs and Android.
on November 10, 2011
This phone is pure beauty, inside and out. If your looking to get a WP7, this is the way to go!
on September 10, 2012
So let me first mention this, I am an apple fan. I have bought every single iPhone (including iPhone 4S) the day they became available. I use Macbook for work, iMac at home and of course iPads.

BUT this phone rocks. I happened to try it because I got it from my company. I absolutely love it. The user interface is absolutely fluid. It is a different yet wholesome experience in terms of the user experience. Of course there are some limitations (inability to do screen captures) being the biggest one for me) but I love the windows phone cocnept. Windows Phone is truly a worthy competitor for iOS. Also the total integration of the social media is really impressive. Similarly native support for MS office documents is a real winner. WP& apps store has limited choice but I have access to the key apps that I use (Skype, Facebook, Adobe Reader, Spotify, Skydrive etc.)

The quality of screen, size and the vividness is just impressive. Also the phone is really light and thin. It has survived multiple falls without any damage. I have been very impressed with the camera as well. I really like the touch to shoot function as well as the access to camera function from a locked screen.

Bottomline. : I will never go back to using iPhone 4S. Now as for iPhone 5, well we will just need to compare it against the the upcoming WP8 phones.
on June 20, 2012
The Hardware:
Samsung has done a great job offering a higher end product available for the WP7. Even though the resolution is lower than competing Android or IOS, it is not a noticeable difference. My friend has an iPhone 4S and side by side the Samsung Focus S just simply a much more beautiful display, mainly due to the larger size.
The battery life is plentiful. The only situation when I have to recharge before the end of a full day is when I am playing high amounts of games like Assassin's Creed or watching videos. Compared to my girlfriend's Android, who has to carry a charger with her, it is nice to not have that worry in the back of my mind.
The only true negative about the hardware of the phone is that when plugged up to an amplified source of playing music, there is an annoying pop sound when changing songs. Though this is no where near a deal breaker, it is something to keep in mind.

The Operating System:
The operating system is really where the 5 star rating comes from. It is simply amazing and completely blows away anything else on the market as an end user. As a former Android user, and being very familiar with IOS, there is simply no comparison. Everything is so fluid and perfectly placed. The people's hub simply revolutionizes how to keep in touch with all of your contacts via Facebook, twitter, Windows Live, and other social networking. There is no need to individually get on each individual app, it is all built right into the Phone! However, if you do not wish to travel that route, then the social networking apps are beautiful and swift.
If the number of apps is what you are concerned with, Microsoft just announced today to have over 100,000 different apps for Windows Phone 7. Within that marketplace, there is a guarantee to have anything you need that any competitor can offer.

The Future:
The future of windows phone is even more exciting. Today announced at the Windows Phone Summit is the release of WP 7.8. Though current hardware (Samsung focus s, Nokia Lumia 900, etc) will not be upgradeable to WP8, Microsoft has not forgotten the first and second generation WP7 phones. The WP 7.8 will offer the new start screen experience and other features.

Simply put, with the Windows Phone you will not be disappointed. Samsung Focus S is a great phone, but there are also other great hardware offerings out there with the OS.
on March 27, 2012
This is nice phone! I have been using WP 7 for sometime now. I just upgraded to Focus S. People talked about WP do not have enough apps? well.. may be for some people, but not so mcuh for me.. The phone is very solid easy to use. My sister uses Android. To me, they are great toy and fun. Practical and smart user interface? WP7 is very solid phone and has very smart interface. Focus S is probaly the best WP7 at this moment. Soon, Nokia 900 will be avaialbe with similler spec with cool Nokia Drive - GPS. Till the Nokia 900 is avaiallbe, Focus S is the one you should get...

BTW: if you want to use 3G SIM, you will need to download wireless Manager from Samsung Zone from Marketplace and change APN setting to 3G, then you can still use 3G SIM, you do not need to get 4G SIM (ATT store told me that I need to get 4G SIM and give up 3G unlimited Data)