Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on November 15, 2011
OMG,
this phone rocks, fast, smooth, and No lockups at all.
I was so sick of the android locking up all the time .
on November 11, 2011
This phone is just amazing, best phone I have owned or tried thus far.

Both the hardware and os do not disappoint and this is coming from an iPhone and android tablet (Motorola Xoom) user.
Performance of this phone is awesome. For what I use this phone for which is what 99% of people do, I must admit that it runs as smooth if not better than the iPhone 4s which to me is now the standard for smart phones.

No amount of explanation will do justice to how good/integated this OS is so just try it out for yourself preferably with help from a real windows phone user not those ignorant att reps.

I am no loyalist, if Apple or Google or whoever comes out with something better I will not hesitate to switch when its time for an upgrade.

All the apps I need are available but I will advise anyone trying to switch to windows phone 7 to always check since they don't have as many/all the apps as IOs and Android.
on December 8, 2011
I lived with an HTC Incredible for 18+ months that, overall, I liked. It never really synced completely correctly with Outlook (if you accidentally accepted an invitation to a meeting on the phone, you had to remove the account and set it up again to clear sync errors!). When the Gingerbread update came out (two of them, a day apart), my HTC Incredible was incredibly useless.

I surrendered and switched to AT&T so I could get this phone, and I love it. The UI is intuitive, fast, useful, and best of all: Outlook just plain works perfectly.

My wife had recently updated from an iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4, and was nearly in tears after she spent a few minutes playing with my new phone (and desperately wishing she could get one, too).

The UI, while not perfect, is leaps beyond both iPhone and Android.
on December 27, 2011
I have never been a fan of Samsung products. I owned the original Focus and had several issues with it, so I was skeptical about the new version, but since the Titan was just too darned big, I when with the Focus S. I've been very happy with it. It's slim, the screen is gorgeous, the processor is speedy, the battery life is well within acceptable ranges and the camera is on par with other 8 mps on the market. It's not a game changer of a phone, but as far as a Windows Phone vehicle goes, you're not going to find much better.

As for Windows 7.5 (Mango), it's everything I've ever wanted in a non-iPhone. Enough said.
on December 27, 2011
I have been extremely happy with this phone. I have had it for about a month now.

The casing is stable and sturdy. While the backing of the phone is a flimsy-feeling plastic, I have found it to be plenty strong, and it helps contribute to the extremely light weight of the phone (it hardly has any weight to it!)

The screen displays brilliant colors and is very responsive. The speaker is also very good. I have been told that my calls sound "crystal clear" on the other end. No complaints on my end at all either.

I really wouldn't have any hesitation recommending this to anyone wanting or considering a Windows Phone. It's sure to please, in my opinion.
on December 23, 2011
First let me start off with the bad, the Focus S is made by Samsung. That alone should be telling enough. Anyone that has ever owned, seen or used any of their smartphones in the last 2 years or so will understand what i mean. Whether it be their now top of the line Android phone the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy S II, Galaxy S, Nexus S or Samsung Focus...all the phones are made out of plastic, feel very light in hand, and this lack of heft tends to give them the feel of cheapness or fragility. It really isn't the case, as I can say I had dropped my older Samsung Captivate (AT&T's Galaxy S) and Samsung Focus on the ground many times, with little more than minor scuffs resulting, but still...you will always have the feeling of "wow this phone is almost too light" if you're like me and value the use of premium materials in gadgets. And as far as the bad, that's really it. Let's move on.

I actually upgraded to this phone from the Samsung Focus, and I must say that it is actually worth every penny for me. I started with Window Phone 7 last year, so I can say I'm pretty well versed in the ins and outs of the phone. But this phone loaded with Windows Phone 7.5 "Mango" is really something great. The OS isn't as featured filled as iOS and not as customizable as Android, but conversely it isn't hampered by the "walled garden" of Apple nor does it have some of the incohesive and unpolished issues of Android - if you've used an Android phone for more than a day, you're surely aware of the instability, sometimes slow update schedule and random errors like "force close".
All in all, the OS has it's shortcomings and lack of features, but what it has done so far, it's completely nailed in execution.

As far as the actual phone hardware itself (besides the build quality I mentioned before)it's great to be honest. The camera takes really good pictures, especially in low light conditions, the screen is amazing and has incredible color reproduction and black levels, and it's really one of the thinnest phones on the market. Would have been nice if there was a 32GB option for people that really do a lot of syncing of music, videos and podcasts, but i can't nit pick. Otherwise it's a great phone, won't regret the purchase.
on November 30, 2011
Loving the Samsung Focus S! I'd been wanting to get into the WinPhone eco-system, but was waiting for the second gen hardware and the Focus S was top of the heap with its super amoled plus screen, Nokia's US launch lagging, and the Titan too big for us. My wife and I picked them up for a cent each during Thanksgiving with Amazon/AT&T's deal but I would have paid full price were we out of that promotion. We are coming all the way from Sprint and a HTC Touch Diamond, that's WinMo 6.0. Laugh. Had them for about a week+ now.

First off the Windows Phone OS (Mango) is as smooth and slick as advertised; having used Win7 Media Center and Zune it was an easy transition and so much more logically laid out for task oriented 'computing' than dropping in and out of non-related apps. I retired my trusty Zune and play 13GB of music on the phone during my commutes. We use the seamless texting between Facebook and Live Messenger utilizing the voice to text to voice capabilities and for the majority of the time gets the dictation correct. I like the linked emails so they can all be culled together and viewed quickly at one time.

I love the screen, it's just gorgeous, the black levels and color saturation really pop. Since I dock/charge nightly I just run it at full brightness w/ no auto-dimming. Still ramping up on games and social media aspect of it but so far it's been wonderful. The 4.3" and thin form factor is about as big as I personally would go on a phone, it fits our hands well and allows for less cramped typing. As others have said, it is very light, you don't notice it in your front pocket. I enjoy the smooth navigation throughout the UI, flicking, sliding pinching is a far cry from using the stylus to do that in the old WinMo phones.

Only a few niggles, 1. When connected via mini-stereo out to my car audio I hear a 'snap snap' between each song as it's playing in Music + Pictures. 2. Storage, 16GB is ok but I took a big hit pruning down from my 120GB Zune. 3. Wish there was a setting to keep the phone from locking when I'm driving and playing music on it (5 minute max time out currently).

Overall we're very very happy w/ the phones and would heartily recommend them!
on June 20, 2012
The Hardware:
Samsung has done a great job offering a higher end product available for the WP7. Even though the resolution is lower than competing Android or IOS, it is not a noticeable difference. My friend has an iPhone 4S and side by side the Samsung Focus S just simply a much more beautiful display, mainly due to the larger size.
The battery life is plentiful. The only situation when I have to recharge before the end of a full day is when I am playing high amounts of games like Assassin's Creed or watching videos. Compared to my girlfriend's Android, who has to carry a charger with her, it is nice to not have that worry in the back of my mind.
The only true negative about the hardware of the phone is that when plugged up to an amplified source of playing music, there is an annoying pop sound when changing songs. Though this is no where near a deal breaker, it is something to keep in mind.

The Operating System:
The operating system is really where the 5 star rating comes from. It is simply amazing and completely blows away anything else on the market as an end user. As a former Android user, and being very familiar with IOS, there is simply no comparison. Everything is so fluid and perfectly placed. The people's hub simply revolutionizes how to keep in touch with all of your contacts via Facebook, twitter, Windows Live, and other social networking. There is no need to individually get on each individual app, it is all built right into the Phone! However, if you do not wish to travel that route, then the social networking apps are beautiful and swift.
If the number of apps is what you are concerned with, Microsoft just announced today to have over 100,000 different apps for Windows Phone 7. Within that marketplace, there is a guarantee to have anything you need that any competitor can offer.

The Future:
The future of windows phone is even more exciting. Today announced at the Windows Phone Summit is the release of WP 7.8. Though current hardware (Samsung focus s, Nokia Lumia 900, etc) will not be upgradeable to WP8, Microsoft has not forgotten the first and second generation WP7 phones. The WP 7.8 will offer the new start screen experience and other features.

Simply put, with the Windows Phone you will not be disappointed. Samsung Focus S is a great phone, but there are also other great hardware offerings out there with the OS.
on January 8, 2012
I work for a wireless company, and I have been a long-term Blackberry user. I traded up my BB for an iPhone, which was "OK," then to an Android device. Finally I made the transition to a Windows Phone when the Focus was released. I was blown away by the simplicity of the OS, and how powerfully integrated it was into the overall experience of the phone. The only thing that the original Focus lacked was the new and exciting features of the new devices. (front facing camera, faster processor, copy/paste)
Then comes the mango update, then the Focus S. It more than makes up for the 2yrs I was attached to the 1st gen Focus. The Super AMOLED display is crisp, and vibrantly colored. The phone polish is nice, though I didn't appreciate the fact that it is almost a carbon copy of the Galaxy S II. My only gripe is that the battery cover feels brittle. But, it doesn't take away from the overall quality feel of the phone. Honestly, you should never have to pull it off after the initial battery insertion. The OS is so stable, that you will almost never have to battery pull.
The 1.4Ghz processor is snappy, making gaming and overall feel of the phone a pleasure to use. Battery life is just OK. It's the nature of Super AMOLED. So expect to charge nightly. (hardcore gamers should carry an extra battery, as you will be juiceless 2 - 3 times a day)
If you are in the market for a new device, are tired of Smart phones that are app driven, need a fresh user experience, and can appreciate seamless integration throughout your device, the Focus S is the one for you. It's not as open as Android or as closed as iOS. It's also not a chore to use like Android, nor dummy-ed up like iOS. It fits nicely in the middle.
Basically the downsides are short battery, Marketplace with 50k apps, and uninspired design.
VINE VOICEon November 12, 2011
I've been looking forward to a larger and non-pentile display for my WP7.5 compared to all the large Android devices out there. Coming from a Samsung Focus which I was quite happy with, it was nice that the cable and chargers are compatible. I was bummed that there wasn't a microSD expansion slot but managed to make it work with the zune wireless sync features. Also, it was unclear from the terrible AT&T and Samsung spec pages but there is indeed the FM radio feature (as part of the zune app).

I'm really amazed how thin the Focus S is and didn't initially plan to get a case but decided to afterwards since there is very little purchase for your fingers to wrap around. The extra screen real estate is great for news apps although I was a bit surprised that the tint turns a bit blue-ish when viewing angle turns extreme. Not a day to day issue at all. Also, it's nice that the camera is centered rather than at one of the edges as it's easier to get used to the angle.

The original Focus having the micro-USB was nice as it was easier to keep charged and using the device unlike the Focus S which is at the bottom (also like the iPhones).

The one buggy feature is that the ambient light sensor doesn't seem to control the display brightness very well - had to turn the feature off.

FInally, the snap on case on the back is interesting as it doesn't cover the entire back of the device. Not many reasons to do a soft reset anyway with the stability of Mango.