Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation STEM Toys & Games

on February 9, 2012
I got this phone at my local verizon store on launch day. I use my cell phone a lot throughout the day and have never been more satisfied with any phone. The phone is incredibly quick, providing a refreshing twist to android's sluggish performance. It is slim as can be, and fairly light as well. This phone doesnt overheat and doesnt die in 5 hrs of use like the Htc thunderbolt. Screen quality is amazing and I could never go back to a lower resolution. The call quality is crystal clear, my only gripe is the speakerphone is really quiet and is easily muffled. I would reccomend this to anyone looking for a great android phone.
on January 22, 2012
Updated 2/3/12: The phone is okay, but not great. So far, call reception has been mediocre, but call quality is usually very clear. Data reception is very poor, for 3G and 4G. It is very pretty and the apps seem to work great. However, as a phone it has some things broken or missing. I use a blue-tooth ear piece to use my phone hands-free, and have been doing so for at least 10 years or so. This phone is the worst at matching of contacts to voice dialing that I have ever seen, so much so it is comical. This is the function of the voice dialer program, not the Google voice command program, which works great. The problem with voice dialer is that it seems to think it knows what I want and will immediately dial it without asking me if it got it right first. This has ended up in the random dialing of just about everyone in my contacts list. Many times I can't just hit the blue-tooth to disconnect because it has already dialed the wrong number. This program needs to be fixed. I called customer service and they said to try another voice dialer program or hope an update comes out soon that fixes it.

The other issue is that I couldn't find the notification that I had voice mails waiting. My wife's Motorola phone has a recorder icon that shows how many voice mails are waiting, and my old LG Dare phone showed them in the messages area and it would buzz me until I would acknowledge it. This phone has a very tiny pull down screen from tiny tiny icons on top of phone. There is also a white LED on the bottom of the phone, but I didn't even notice it for a long time and I'm not sure what will set it off (I think some app updates may set it off). I downloaded a Visual Voice Mail program that helps alot.

Also, the user manual is a joke, but this is probably true for all Android phones. It doesn't explain much of anything at all how to use the phone's features, other than getting the battery put in and charged to get it running. However, I did find out later that they have a few useful videos on their web site, and a user forum (seemed fairly useless to me), but it still leaves so much unexplained about the phone.

As an Android web device it is pretty good. It is very fast and functional for running apps. The 4G service is three times faster than my home DSL line, when I can get the service, which has got me thinking about upgrading our home internet service. There are all kinds of apps that are freely downloaded to make your life easier, and makes the phone fun to play with. I can actually read magazines and books quite well with the Kindle reader app. It is great at keeping you up to date on news and weather and the games are fun. Just wish it did a little better a being a phone.

PROS:
- 4G, when you can get it, is blazingly fast.
- Breathtakingly beautiful screen, which makes looking at my photos on Picasa a real pleasure. Much better than Droid Bionic.
- Has Ice Cream Sandwich.
- 32 Gig storage. For me this is more than enough.
- Fast and responsive.
- Run apps great.
- Looks nice.
- It was easy to activate the phone myself.
- Using the Verizon Backup Assistant it was very easy to move all my contacts from my old LG Dare to the new phone.

CONS:
- Only 5 home screens. My wife's Droid X has 7, and I think most do. I understand you can group ICONs on this phone, so that may reduce the need, but I like to use widgets and they take screen space.
- Poor data reception. My wife's Droid X will have 4 bars and I won't have any reception at all sitting in the same place. It can be also be slow to find service and occasionally the person I am talking to will say they can barely hear me while I can hear them perfectly.
- Horrible battery life. I haven't had it last overnight yet (and I've had it a month and use JuiceDefender). My wife's Droid X last 2-3 days. Some times I only get 3-4 hours of moderate use, and that is just normal stuff, no videos yet.
- It can over heat pretty easily. It can get uncomfortably hot near camera at times, a few times while it was just sitting in stand-by.
- No real accessories. I would like a charging dock and a functional car dock at least. The battery needs charging all the time.
- Almost NO preinstalled apps. Some will think this is a PRO, but for me it is a CON. I had rather have standard apps installed and ready to go rather than go looking for them. Plus, I would expect them to be tested and work perfectly. You can always uninstall if you need the space, but 32 gigs is a lot of space and apps take almost no space.
- VOICE DIALER is broken and you can't set features on it (such as confirming commands before acting on it) or train it for your voice. This is basic functionality for me. Customer service said to find a third party replacement. Please don't confuse this with Google Voice Command, which works great, but doesn't work with Blue Tooth ear pieces.
- Notification for voice mail could be a lot better, but there is some.
- Only 5 megapixal camera. ??? not sure why when they have a good 8 mp camera.
- No SD card slot. Not much of a deal for me, but when I upgrade to the next phone it would be nice to just eject my music and pop it in the new phone.

** If I had it to do over, I would probably get the Motorola Razor Max or iPhone. This phone is not ready for prime time. Some have said a fix is coming out in March. I hope so because I will be stuck with a marginal phone for two years otherwise.

P.S. I noticed that the battery life can change dramatically, and other reviewers have indicated various levels of battery drain. I assume this may be due to apps running in the background that haven't been properly terminated or continue updating. Once I noticed when I pulled my phone out of the holster it was a bit warm, even though it was just sitting on standby for an hour or more, and the battery was very low. Some days it lasts long (50% left at end of 12 hrs), some days not so long (dies after 3-4 hours). I ended up installing a battery saver program (JuiceDefender) and it seems to have made a substantial difference in a stable battery life. The app measures how much batter it saves you, and my short experience has ranged from x1.03 (mostly asleep on charger) to x2. My perception is that it is a fairly accurate assessment, even though some have said that ICS doesn't need battery management outside of ICS.

Update 1/24/12: Someone suggested I try out Google Voice account, which apparently can even translate to text and avoid the need to call Voice Mail at all. Sounds like a great idea to me.

I still am struggling with the Voice Dialer accuracy. It still seems to dial randomly out of my contacts list. I have been trying to work with Samsung customer support, but so far no luck (except they pointed out the activity bar at the top of the screen for voice mail with tiny tiny icons). The nice thing about a Droid phone is that there are so many apps that there is a good chance I might find one that can fix my problem by replacing Voice Dialer, but Samsung should have tested theirs out better before releasing it in the first place. Eventually customer support suggested I find a third-party replacement or wait and hope an update comes out to fix it (they had same problem).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2011
I am not going to make claims about this phone being the best Android phone or any-phone killer. There are far too many great phones available today IMO to make such claims. Today's LTE phones all offer great performance and distinct features that I believe can be customized to suit almost any user's needs. Brief backgroud on me - I came from the Droid Eris running CM7 (gingerbread 2.3.5) and have used many blackberry devices provided by my work over the years. I have also spend a good amount of time on friend's og DROID (1) and DROID X. There are some things about HTC Sense that I loved (dial pad) and some things about CM that I loved (customization). I have never really taken to motoblur.

For me the Galaxy Nexus (GN) is wonderful. I appreciate the clean and updated ice cream sandwich (ICS) platform. I have loaded maybe 45-50 apps, with 10-15 used daily. The phone is very snappy and apps load very quickly and run very smoothly. This includes several graphic intensive games. Internet speeds are fantastic, especially coming from a slow phone with 3G speeds. Whether one phone has a slight speed advantage is meaningless to me - after all these are LTE phones we are talking about and download speeds are as fast if not faster than my home network. More important are the user features and the interface of the ICS browser is great. I love the swip to delete notification - very handy - and the overall interface is very intuitive. Definitely a step-up from gingerbread. I know the RAZR and other phones will get ICS, but given the industry's slowness in upgrading software I did not want to wait. Other points about the GN - I love the camera, the screen is sharp and the colors really pop. I even feel that the contrast in day light is reasonable as well. As far as battery life, I have been getting about a day's use. I charge the phone at night and the battery has been getting to a 15-25% battery level by the end of the day (18 hours) without any need to charge mid-day. I would call my use light moderate (~2 hrs on phone, no more than 20 minutes/day on games, 10-20 minutes internet/searching, 20 minutes on google maps, 20-30 minutes on various emails/facebook/calendars, occasional pictures. This also includes downloading of apps, which I have been doing more lately because the phone is new.

I have had limited experience with the Droid RAZR and Rezound (about 40 and 20 minutes on each, respectively, at Verizon store). I found the RAZR to be a great and snappy phone as well - but the camera just always seems to give blurry images. I also did not like the fact that you could not switch out the battery (again personal preference). For me, not having a microSD slot does not matter. I agree with the direction google is taking with the GN - all internal memory. I never liked having to manage internal/external memory - the simplicity of the new design is an improvement for me. The Rezound looks good on paper, but it is definitely bulkier than the RAZR of GN. It took great pictures, but I felt the Sense UI added a bit of choppiness to the interface. I have had issues with the Eris with the dialer (it takes sometimes 30-60 seconds to disconnect from one call and get on to another), and the Rezound felt a bit slower in dialing than the RAZR and GN.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 20, 2011
Just got this phone yesterday, it took me a while to choose between this phone and the razr, I am confident that I made the right choice with this phone. Comming from a tmobile galaxy s this is a huge upgrade. This phone is so fast.

Pros:
Screen is amazing, big, bright, beautiful.
Speed, way faster than my old phone.
ICS
Virtual keyboard is perfect. (using it now)
Camera is great.
Verizon matched amazon price.
It just looks good.

Cons:
Battery (i even upgraded to the 2100), but i knew this would have crapy battery life going in to it so no surprise there.
No SD card option

Overall fantastic phone, I would do it again.
on December 18, 2011
I am not going to say very much about the Galaxy Nexus itself, actually.
There is no dearth of reviews for this phone on the Web.

In short (based on my previous three hours with it), this phone is very very nice.

In my opinion, Ice Cream Sandwich is beautiful. They've really done a good job here. It will take me a couple of days to re-train myself in regards to a handful of operations, though I am familiar with many of the UI tweaks from using my Motorola Xoom running Honeycomb.

My main reason for writing is to chime in that I too was able to get my local Best Buy to price-match Amazon Wireless' price ($200 for upgrade). This seems to be the way to go at the moment. This morning, Amazon Wireless said the GN ships in 8 to 9 days. Now it says 1 to 2 months! Holy cow!
on March 4, 2015
It's too bad about this I was exited to use this Nexus phone. The phone looks absolutely perfect. It's clean and scratch-free and has the great Jelly-bean version software, better than the advertised Ice-Cream Sandwich. But, it has 2 problems. The first is the supplied charger does nothing. I had to use another Nexus charger from LG to see it charge and when it was charged the battery lasted no longer than a couple of hours. Even with that the most important thing about the phone failed.
No matter what I do, it doesn't see a network. I'm not talking WiFi I'm talking LTE, the Wifi is working fine and I was able to login to my google account just fine. The problem is with the LTE network, there are no bars showing and I am in the heart of Boston. All my phones have full bar reception...I added my sim card and still nothing happens. I even went through manually setting it up online with VW by changing my current phone EID to the Nexus (which isn't neccessary) but it still doesn't connect. It's like there is no antenna. I'm still hopeful that there's something I'm missing and it all can be corrected soon.
StayTuned

Okay, Part 2
Nothing I did could correct the problem I'm having. It doesn't see any Network and therefore, will not connect to Verizon. It also has the worst battery problem I've seen and the connector is questionable. Since the listing shows that they are currently out of stock I'm gonna have to return it.
on September 21, 2012
I am now on my second one in 2 months. The first one froze up and could not unlock. This came with the fun of losing all my vacation pictures since there is no removable memory card. Before that, it would drop my side of the call often. This is a known issue that both Samsung and Verizon like to point fingers at each other while the customer loses out.

So after my phone froze up, Verizon switched it out with a refurb. I even mentioned it to Verizon that a refurb will be worse than the current phone since it was already known to have issues. Well now I lose a connection to the towers about once an hour. This is fun when in the middle of a call.

In short, there are hundreds of reviews out there and complaints about how terrible this phone is, despite its nice features. STAY AWAY from this phone. It will give you nothing but troubles. I am at a loss for how frustrated I am that no one will admit to the problems with it even though there are tons of us out there with these bad phones.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It's easy to play the blame game -- a Google engineer once said that "operator approvals" are at fault for the slow upgrades with carrier-based Google devices -- but the truth is that Verizon's Galaxy Nexus represents a failure by all parties. Verizon failed to deliver on what a Nexus phone is promised to be. And Google failed by allowing Verizon to carry its Nexus name without fully committing to its Nexus model.

More than anything, I wish Google had been more honest about the realities of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus from the start. Nexus products appeal to some of Google's most loyal Android enthusiasts. Those people, along with the rest of the phone-buying population, deserve better than a half-fulfilled version of what a phone is promised to be.

There is a better way -- and I'm happy to have transitioned into it -- but it shouldn't take this much backtracking to get there
on March 6, 2012
returned this today, very bad signal 4g kept dropping and 3g wouldnt pick up. battery life was terrible unplug from the charger and 6 hrs later its dead without using it, if you do use it lasts about 2.5 hrs. very quiet phone, had to hold it a foot from my face to hear netflix, and that was turned all the way up. don't waste your money
on August 9, 2014
WORST PHONE EVER!!! DO NOT BUY!!! I purchased 2 of these phones from Verizon for $299 new with a 2 year contract. Im 30+ yrs old btw. They started off awesome. Each update they became progressively worse. Now 1.5 yes later... Neither phone will hold a charge, phones lockup(freeze) and you must remove the battery to fix, and call drops + poor 4g minutes from a major metropolitan area. Never again... Never aagain... P.s. The Nexus 7 tablet... Same piece of garbage. Started of great now is complete garbage. Shame on Samsung for making this landfill crap!!!