on April 20, 2012
As far as the phone like all user mention it is very nice,the bugs are what will make me return this as I write this.

Pros: Screen but also a con
Navigation
and Ice Cream Sandwhich

Cons: Battery my battery dies in 6 hours without even grabbing my phone
Signal is horrible and i know its not my area or Verizon, i mean cmon its VERIZON!
Glitches in almost all apps
REEBOOTS!! had it reebot at least once a day
PHONE GETS HOT!! it gets so hot it make uncomfortable even grabbing it,on the top corner
Screen is way too big to use one handed ,I have large male hands and cant use the phone with one hand comfortably
Feels super light it will slip from your hands trust me
Cheap Plastic
there is No SD card slot
5 megapixel camera with mediocre pictures low color very grany
Super slow rotation like 4 seconds to landscape mode
Speaker is so low, it will not wake you up if you set it as your alarm

I actually bought the external battery of 2100mhz which honestly is a waste of money and samsung should have added this battery for free. it adds about an hour extra of usage from 1850mhz to 2100mhz. In my opinion is not worth the 40 or 30 dollars unless you are set on keeping the phone the next two years after all these issues.

I really wanted to like this phone, I was super excited even dumped my old carrier when I saw this deal. so do your self a favor and AVOID this, waste the extra 150 for a phone that will last the next two years. Doid razr MAXX or sad to say since I hate Apple, iPhone 4.

Dont believe me? go ahead take ur chance, why you think its $50 dollars in the first place cuz its such a good phone? lol

Good Luck People
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 29, 2012
First of all this is DEVELOPERS phone. Meaning if you want it to work flawlessly, ya gotta do some tweaking. You want better battery life? Root the phone, try a custom ROM & Kernels. Or if you dont want to do that...Shut off GPS/Bluetooth when not in use. Dont let Google+ auto upload your pics (BIG battery drainer). Turn off sync, unless you find it necessary. Make sure you have "back up my data" option unchecked (another big drainer.) Try NOVA launcher, much better than stock.

I get 24+ hours out of my normal battery with moderate use. I have NO signal issues at all. If you have bad battery life or poor signal, learn how to use the phone correctly. If you do know how and still have problems, bring it back for a new one. Simple.
on July 16, 2014
I've had problems with this phone since the day I got it, I exchanged it for a new one and still have had the same problems. The phone gets extremely hot at times, it does not hold a charge very long, it freezes constantly...this phone definitely has a mind of its own. When it freezes, the only way to get it going again is to take the battery out and put it back in again. I wouldn't recommend this phone. I love Samsung products but am extremely disappointed with this phone.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
DISCLAIMER: I'm not an android fanboy. I'm an android enthusiast. I love most everything Google does. I can go on and on and on about what I like and what I don't like about android but since this is supposed to be a review of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone on Verizon... I'll stick to the relevant points only and try to keep this review as objective as possible.

I have been using my Verizon Galaxy Nexus since last 8 months. In that period, my phone was upgraded from 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) to 4.1 (jelly bean). I used to like my phone when it had ICS, I like it slightly more now since it got upgraded to jelly bean. This is my first 'nexus' phone. I used EVO 3D before this, and EVO 4G before that. So this is also my first Samsung phone.

As far as the hardware fit and finish is concerned, I have no complaints from this phone. Both my previous HTC phones would show light bleed from the edges of the screen... not an issue here. Also, the battery cover mechanism of Galaxy Nexus is much better than both my previous phones. I love that I can take the battery out (if need be) easily but as soon as I snap the battery cover back in place, this phone feels as compact and as sturdy as something that doesn't have removable battery (say iPhone). This phone has been dropped on more than one occasion (I have a one year old) but it seems to handle those well.

I like the screen size (4.65 inches) and the pixel density (316 ppi). I do not like that the screen is non-LCD because under 'automatic brightness' settings, whites do not appear as whites! This was never the case with my previous HTC phones. I also do not like the on-screen navigation buttons because they reduce the effective screen size. Now I agree that the on-screen navigation buttons disappear when I'm watching videos on youtube, thereby giving me the full enjoyment of my 4.65 inch screen... but they do not disappear when I'm watching videos on vimeo. More importantly, they do not disappear when I'm playing games. While playing games, it is very easy to accidentally hit the on-screen home button than a physical home button, thereby ending my game without saving it. I understand that Google wanted to go the route of having the navigational buttons on-screen because it wanted to provide a uniform user experience to the end user across all the devices from different manufacturers. But what it ended up doing was that I have to carry a larger phone and I get to enjoy a smaller (effective) screen. The Samsung Galaxy S3 for example is slightly smaller than the Galaxy Nexus but provides a larger screen (4.8 inches)!

Listening to music on this phone when not using headphones (using the phone's in-built speaker) is not loud enough. I'm again comparing this with my previous HTC phones, both of which were amply loud. Once you place the phone inside a cup though, the volume magnifies as the cup acts as an amplifier by distributing the sound waves in one single direction (found this on lifehacker dot com).

Camera on this phone is acceptable. Outdoor photos are nice. Indoor photos are acceptable. It does record videos at 1080p but can not keep up with moving subjects very well... I notice a lot of screen skipping when watching 1080p videos of my 1 year old.

Battery life seems to be okay as long as you don't encounter any "Mobile Network Signal" red bands. I don't know what else to call it, but you can find this in the battery settings, click on the chart and it will show you all the various programs that used your battery. I have noticed that every once in a while, my phone will lose almost 50%-70% of its battery life in less than an hour when it was simply sitting on my desk. And when I dig into the battery settings, I always find this "Mobile Network Signal" showing as red for the time interval when my battery life was dropping like a rock. I have googled this but have not found a reason or resolution. On the bright side though, this happens less frequently now than it used to happen back in March 2012.

I love the new 4.2 jelly bean feature 'Google Now'. Google Now shows me situational cards in the notification area... for example, when I'm getting ready for work in the morning... it will appear in my notification area and inform me about the estimated time it will take me to reach work based on current traffic conditions. Similarly, it will pop-up in the evening informing me about current traffic conditions on my way to home. And what I like here is that I never entered information about what time I leave for work or come home or where my work address is? Google Now observed my behavior for a few days and started appearing in my notifications area on its own. Google Now also scans through my emails (100s of emails I might add) and picks the ones that contain any shipping tracking numbers or flight confirmations or hotel reservations and then capture that information into a Google Now card and display it in my notification area and allow me to take action (track an order for example). This is much easier then having to open gmail, searching for that order shipping notification email, then clicking on the tracking number. I can disable Google Now very easily if I don't want it. But I like it so far... this is what the future should be like. You can also ask Google Now questions about the distance from moon and weight of earth and meaning of life and stuff (aka Siri) but I never cared to do that. Because I already know all those things.

So to summarize, I like my Verizon Galaxy Nexus but I'm not in love with it. Most of my complaints about this phone are related to Android and/or Verizon. I'm done with Nexus devices though... although I think that this was a very noble idea by Google, implementing it in the real world was not completely in their hands and it shows. My next phone will be the new LG Optimus G on Sprint. Am I done with Samsung? Not at all. I love my Samsung TV and I will be buying the next version of Samsung note tablet. Am I done with Verizon? Probably yes.
on September 7, 2012
I originally had an HTC Incredible through Verizon, but once it started experiencing the nightly restart cycle, I knew it was time to get a new phone - from reading many posts about the problem, I figured neither Verizon nor HTC would be of any help.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire I jumped. The Nexus could be a nice phone. It has a bigger screen, theoretically has faster speeds with Verizon's 4G network, and should be able to take advantage of having a better OS (given that no one seems interested in updating two-year-old phones).

But ... there are problems all over the place. Some of them are minor, like the changes to the OS itself. Google seems to think that, just like with desktop apps, fewer explicit decisions are better. They'll just try to predict what you want to do and present you with only those controls, and you can guess where everything else is. Guess, because they won't say. Can't figure out how to connect to a wifi network? Touch the Wifi section of settings - not the right side, but the left side. Where do you find this out? Online, from all the other people who couldn't figure out this counterintuitive system.

It gets worse. The ringer is significantly quieter than the Incredible's, even on the highest setting. I will miss calls if I am not right next to my phone. Of course I might miss the calls anyway, depending on whether or not I can get a signal when I am sitting on my sectional at home in a spot where I have never had signal problems ... nor should I, because my house is in the middle of a gigantic swath of supposed 4G coverage. However, signal problems persist. I've had a number of calls drop without warning when I am not moving at all. Never had this problem with the Incredible or with other carriers.

Naturally, the battery drains like a flushed toilet, even though I have an extended battery and have wifi and GPS turned off (which makes it even more of a pain, now that I no longer have unlimited data.) And I don't mean oh look, the battery indicator shows that there's 20% left when there's actually 40% left. I mean oh look, my phone is dead again because I didn't charge it last night before I went to bed.

Looking up these problems online, I find the same old story: Verizon says it's Samsung's problem, Samsung says it's Verizon's problem, and no one seems willing to reach out and say "Here, let me fix this for you." I am beginning to believe that the entire wireless market in the US is just one giant scam. That may not be the case, but I certainly can't find a reason to continue to work with Verizon after this experience, and I would not recommend this phone, at all, to any other Verizon customers.

UPDATE: It's now October, and Verizon finally admitted there was a problem with some of these phones and pushed an update out for them. I no longer have signal problems when sitting in my house, my extended battery lasts more than half a day, and I haven't had a call drop since the update.

The OS changes are still disappointing - "home" is now the entire five-section screen instead of only the middle section, so touching home when on one of the outer sections no longer returns you to the middle, for example - but that's to be expected from Google. The phone itself is now what I expected when I bought it, and I would recommend it to other Verizon customers.
on September 4, 2012
When companies advertise their phones with the "latest and greatest android OS" you have to take that with a grain of salt. HTC, Sony, Samsung all use skins on top of the existing Android OS platform to "personalize" the phone for said-company. Often times the additional layer of software features will slow down your phone or cause it to hiccup. So keep that in mind when looking at phone specs.
The Nexus series are google-branded phones which are vanilla. Meaning that there is no layering of additional software on top of the Android OS. What does this mean?-Pure, unrivaled speed of your device. You can push it to its full performance. The Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon is the very definition of a well-balanced price point phone with specs that are above average even by today's standards.
The phone's battery life is solid. The standard OEM lasts about 8 hours of HEAVY usage. The extended life battery will last about 10 hours of HEAVY usage. If you are like most people, you have a car charger for your phone. So you never really have to worry about running it completely dry. The ICS (android 4.0.0 OS) is extremely user friendly. It's easy to personalize your home screens, make phone calls, send text messages and surf the web. Verizon's 4G LTE network is, without a doubt, the BEST 4g network in the U.S. At times I get over 21mbs download and 18mbs+ on upload. It's insane.
Even with the new 2012 phones coming out the Galaxy Nexus 4G is a solid investment. It has a huge screen, 32GB of memory, vanilla operating system and the google branding. Get this phone. You'll be happy that you did.
on September 3, 2012
If you want a Nexus device, do NOT buy the Verizon version. Nexus devices are supposed to get new early updates. Unfortunately, the Android 4.0.4 took about 5 months to get the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The Jelly Bean has been out about 3 months, and it doesn't seem like it's going to be coming the Verizon Galaxy Nexus anytime soon. All the Nexus devices have already received this update. Now, there are few non-nexus devices that started to get the update.

If you don't care about having the "nexus" experience, then the phone is alright. But I probably would go with the S3 instead.
on July 11, 2012
I really, REALLY wanted to like this phone. After 1 month of trouble with one way call audio ("can you hear me? can you hear me?"), dropped calls, and extremely flaky 4G signal (friends with other Verizon phones have none of these issues while standing next to me), I have to rate this as one star and warn people against picking this up for $.01 thinking it is a good deal. I have audio problems or dropped calls on nearly every call lasting more than 5 minutes, and it has caused me a fair amount of embarrassment with family and work associates. If the thing would simply work as a phone without these issues, it would be a 5 star rating, but as it stands now, it is only useful as a small tablet. I spent several hundred dollars on antennas and amplifiers thinking it was a signal problem (new to Verizon) before I found literally hundreds of threads with a substantial amount of people also with the same issue. So after 1 month wasting a ton of time and money, I give up. To be clear, I do not think this is an issue with Verizon as much as a problem with the phone, but I could be wrong about that.

It remains to be seen what I can do about this, but I do not recommend this phone at all, due to the serious call issues and data signal drops. Before anyone flames me, do a Google search for "galaxy nexus one way audio" or "galaxy nexus dropped calls", this is not an isolated issue and NO it is not fixed in Android 4.0.4 OTA. I will update this review if anything changes.
on February 7, 2012
I love this phone. It is everything that I had hopped and expected form it. It is my first android phone and my first Verizon phone sense the LG Dear. I have played around with a lot of phones in the Verizon store but it is just not the same as having one of your own to use.

Positives: This phone had a great screen Ice Cream Sandwich is a joy to use. The phone is very responsive. It seems like it has a good camera but I haven't used it much. Lots of great apps.

Negatives: Battery life is shorter than it should be. I was prepared for this and can live with it but I think they should have given it a bigger battery. The speaker on the phone could also be better. The volume is to low. It works alright if you are listening to music but if you want to watch a movie it really hard to hear. This is partly the volume but it is also caused by the speaker being located on the back on the phone so you need a hard surface behind it to reflect the sound around to the front if want to both hear and watch your movie at the same time.

Other Comments: No LTE in Montana but I don't mind 3G speeds too much.
on February 4, 2012
I have just completed one month of owning of Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I have no doubt declaring I am very happy with this. This is the best smart phone on the market for the time being until iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3 releases. I had iPhone 4 for 2 months and I like many other people who could not be satisfied with beauty and fruit brand alone threw that 'dumb beauty' . For me that was more of a 'show off' rather than of practical use.

Apple itself in a recent patent suit directed against google termed this as the "most creditable competitor to iPhone'. Apple co founder which is not a apple employee anymore and hence free to speak truth freely declared iPhone easy to use but 'Android more feature rich'. He dismissed Siri totally saying he could not understand how come internet could be needed to make a call through Siri. Do I need to say more now? If yes then here is the detail review:

Like ->
(1) Bigger HD contour display-> Though you can distinguish between pixels while looking closely unlike iPhone's Retina display, Nexus's display is gorgeous. Colors are very vibrant and rich. Black is real black (because of Super AMOLED display technology) which creates the whole difference.
The Screen is large and with medium hands I can reach to the whole screen stretching the thumb or fingers. Sometimes I tend to use the other hand (luckily I have two hands and both are fully functional so can't complaint).

Because of bigger screen this phone is more useful or convenient for what Apple invented iPhone for ie Browsing web, playing games, watching videos. And because of this I tend to depend lesser on PC/laptop/tablet. With bigger screen, power and customization of Android OS this phone is closer to our old friend PC/laptop.

**I run the same HD video both on nexus and iPhone 4S and nexus one was better to watch.**

(2) Soul-> The soul of this device is ICS OS which is now equal to iOS in terms of user friendlessness but is better because it is much more customizable and hence you feel completely in control and power. This is different feeling than using dumb iOS. After using ICS I really struggled to use the iOS or same iOS based apps. ICS is lightning fast and smooth.
Face unlock, NFC, android beam and google wallet (not available on Verizon version) are very cool. Face unlock works perfectly.
Built-in Data usage monitor is very helpful for not letting you go above your data limit.
-> Mine is international unlocked version which within a week got automatically updated to 4.0.2 from 4.0.1.
This has Best notification, better customization for web browsing.

Ohhhhhhhh... did I tell you android has taken two steps which is miles ahead of time and going to change the things completely? (i) No Physical button-> The buttons are in fact part of OS itself and function well. Hence the buttons can now be context specific and smarter. They change their position depending on how you are holding the phone or what you are doing. While watching video they disappear completely giving you the whole screen for watching, and yes they will reappear on appropriate place when you need them. (ii) Same OS for all devices: Unlike Apple now same application can run on any device running on ICS. For apple the applications need to be written separately both for iPhone and iPad. That's why Apple has lesser applications on iPads. With new approach of ICS now people will just write once and run it anywhere hence number of apps is going to get multiplied faster on ICS.

(3) Eco System (Apps)-> Android eco system (or app market) is there on par with Apple eco system. In the same period I have installed much more applications ($150-$200 of worth in Apple world AND YES ALL FREE!!!!!!!) than I did on iPhone 4 (because most applications are free compared to Apple). I am more functional on Android than I was on iPhone 4. There is nothing which I want and its not there. And yes now google going to start monitoring of applications so less argument against Android apps.
(4) Form factor-> I like its form factor more than of iPhone's. Countered makes it more convenient to use and keep in the pocket. Now to me iPhone is just any another device and I look on iPhone with pity.
(5) Battery-> I need to charge it once a day with low to moderate usage which is what other iPhone 4S customers are also doing. And if you are going to use it like laptop you will need to charge it more (is not this same with your laptop?). Better part is unlike iPhone you can carry batteries and change it easily. No complaint here.
(6) Reception-> Decent.
(7) Call quality-> Nice.
(8) Volume/Speaker-> Low, could be helped with volume control plus application.
(9) More social-> Very well integrated with google.
(10). Build-> Except the battery cover everything else is of high quality. I don't care about plastic versus metal debate. iPhone even with metal and corning glass are equivalently fragile and people have been reporting iPhone being broken having dropped just from 12 feet or so. And with gorilla glass on both ends iPhone 4 is more fragile. Remember gorilla glass is just scratch resistant not damage resistant.
(11) Typing-> is a breeze and it seems to read you mind and hence make typing a different experience than on iPhone. And big screen helps every here again.

Unfortunately this phone decided to do have some deliberate suicidal traits perhaps to avoid wiping away other Samsung devices. So here are the things which could have been improved upon:
(1) Speaker-> Could have been better (Minor+ issue)
(2) Reception-> Though not much complaint, Could have been just a 'little' better (Very Minor issue).
(3) Camera-> Could have been better definitely.
(4) External Storage-> Either they should have allowed adding external storage or given the device with more alternated with respect to storage capacities. (Minor issue)
(5) Display-> Should not be able to distinguish pixels (Minor issue but this should be ultimate goal for the display)

Conclusion-> This is the best smart phone on the market for the time being if you can live with some minor issue with volume. And all issues reported so far with this device seem to be software issues and should get corrected with updates or third part applications.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations