Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on December 29, 2011
I've read about how the Droid Razr has better this and better that, but there is no phone, short of the Galaxy Note (not available in the US), with a better screen than this one. Go download some 4MP+ abstract images and view them on this phone and you will be floored. The camera is outstanding. The camera software built-in needs an upgrade. The camera itself has far more capabilities than the software allow... a simple update will remedy this, or there are alternative camera apps available on the market now. Sound too quiet? I agree, so I got Volume+ from the market and now that argument is moot. The feel of this phone in your hand is unmatched. It's so slim (and I am sporting the extended battery) and sleek, with a nice texture on the back.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a Nexus phone, so it's not expected to be perfect in every way on day one. The whole point of Nexus is to be a proving ground for new major versions of Android. Part of that process is identifying and ironing out bugs, shortfalls, and the like. As far as the hardware goes, I have had some issues with signal strength, but I do not believe those issues are entirely hardware related... if at all. People would be surprised how important the software is that drives the radios in phones. I have had Samsung phones in the past and have not had problems with signal strength, and I am confident those issues will fade away with a few key OS updates from Google. Why would Samsung suddenly drop the ball on the built-in radios on this phone?

Droid Razr, HTC Rezound, both great phones, but both hindered terribly by their manufacturer's OS overlays and locked nature. Not to mention Verizon... those phones are loaded with 'crapware', apps that Verizon forces that cannot be removed without rooting, if you can even root them, which is unlikely. Why do you think Verizon hasn't advertised the Galaxy Nexus more? Because they don't have as much control over it, they were only able to force Google into allowing two of their proprietary apps, one of which is actually useful. In addition, there is no Carrier IQ built into the Nexus, which allows Verizon to secretly track all detail surrounding the phone's usage. Not that they're fully abusing that capability... anymore at least... but you can't remove it.

Sure, those sweet phones will get Ice Cream Sandwich eventually, but this OS is so awesome and advanced that eventually is like telling an early adopter the prize gadget they've anticipated for momnths just sold out and will be back in stock in a few months.

I write few reviews, but after reading some on this phone I felt I needed to speak my mind. I love this phone, and feel it was worth the almost three month wait since I became aware of its coming. Android 4.0 is simply amazing. If ever there was an 'iPhone killer', this is without question it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2011
I have owned this phone for over two weeks and I can say unequivocally that it is the best smart phone I have ever held. So much has been said about it so I will give a brief run down.

Pros: Screen, LTE, Ice Cream Sandwich, Build quality, Power, Speed, Performance, Battery on 3G and Wifi

Cons: Battery life on LTE, it doesn't print money?

Overall: If you are a Verizon customer or thinking of becoming a Verizon customer this is the phone you want by your side. It is incredible.
on January 15, 2014
I've had this phone for 1.5 years and it's had several reliability issues. Would not recommend!
(1) Battery life is really bad - this was immediate. I've had to charge my phone all day at work. Even with minimal use, the phone seems to last at most 8-12 hours, so if you're out of the house/office/car you need extra batteries.
(2) Random restarts - the phone reboots itself randomly.
(3) Headphone jack issues - the phone started to think the headphones were always plugged in, preventing me from talking on the phone.
on January 12, 2014
Had this phone for over 2 years. Great phone except you can't have 4G going and still expect to make and receive phone calls and texts at the same time! You see the bars thinking you have good Verizon reception, but you actually don't! You then shut down your phone, reboot, and then it all comes back, for a while..... and you never know when it is gone again. This is a very common problem with these phones and the Verizon network. Which they seemingly don't want to fix. Check out the Verizon wireless forum for more in depth info about this. Being that Verizon couldn't fix my phone, I dowloaded an app that allows me to turn off 4G. So for a year and a half, I am getting all my calls, I get texts, but only plain texts. Texts with photos, attachments, etc are still blocked. Also group texts from others are blocked. These need 4G to work. So, great phone, but not in the Verizon network.
on August 13, 2013
Pros:
- Large screen with nice resolution, easy to read text and see pictures
- Great for photos, autofocus is great, picture adjustment options, intuitive and easy to use
- Almost never locks-up or runs slowly, even on WiFi, with several browser windows open
- Battery lasts about ~1 day with browsing internet, uploading photos, taking photos pretty regularly throughout the day
- Wide variety of applications to install from Google Play, easy installation and opening
- Great interface, easy to use, intuitive
- Thin enough to fit easily into pants pocket, even with my rubber casing

Cons:
- For those with small hands, some difficulty with using the phone with one hand - I often dropped the phone initially; get a screen protector/casing if you have small hands! Easily "slips" out of the hand if you don't have a rubbery type grip casing
- Standard ringtone selection is mostly soft and soothing, but only a few are loud enough to hear in a crowded room or on the bus/tram. Can be easily solved by installing other ringtones.
on July 21, 2013
I read the reviews and should have listened. Luckily I don't use my phone for business, but to drop a call every time is unacceptable. No wonder Verizon doesn't carry this POS anymore! I will never buy Samsung again!
on February 15, 2013
VZW also known as big red or Verizon Wireless should never be allowed to carry another Nexus phone again. The phone I have is now 4 major Android updates behind. The phone is buggy and only gets buggier with time. Nexus is supposed to mean something, it is supposed to mean updates both minor and major as soon as they are available instead VZW just sits on them blaming everyone but themselves. There is little to no hardware support for this phone their techs cannot or will not help on the phone. VZW screwed the users who hoped for the PURE Google Experience, which never happened.
on January 20, 2013
I am an electronics engineer with 20+ years of working engineer. I got this phone immediately after it appears on the market.

1- That battery life on this phone is 4 hours at the best. This is a serious problem if you are traveling.
2- It overheats and you actually feel the phone getting hot.
3- I changed the phone twice with the same problems.
4- The software is fine, but that's vanilla Android.

This phone uses Samsung CPU and I think that is the source of high battery consumption.
on October 30, 2012
Very slick phone, the Jelly Bean update made everything even smoother and Google Now was very neat.

Unfortunately, the battery doesn't cut it. I found myself REQUIRED to charge it at my desk at work, leaving 4G LTE/wifi/GPS off, not syncing anything and leaving the screen at the minimum setting (or, blank-in-sunlight, as I like to call it). I even tried custom ROMs/kernels.

Needless to say, the battery makes this otherwise wonderful phone a dumb phone. You just can't use it that much and have to disable a lot of the features.
I ended up selling it after 6 months for something with a smaller screen and greater battery life. I regret purchasing this over the Razr MAX, which at the time didn't have an ICS update yet.
on October 30, 2012
So far I am enjoying this phone. I upgraded from a Droid Eris so it is a vast improvement. My Nexus is updated with Jelly Bean so it looks sleek. It does get a little warm at times, but not a concern yet (had phone for 3 weeks now). Battery could be a little better, but if you charge it overnight all should be good. Audio wise - when playing music it could be louder, when watching videos audio is ok.