Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on April 5, 2013
Everything works well... except the phone. Crackles, pops, squawks, echos, dropouts, disconnects. Even after several software updates the telephone part of this device just plain sucks. Samsung? Verizon? God only knows. No wonder it was free.
on April 16, 2013
I've had this phone for over a year now. I don't write reviews unless the item leaves a strong impression on me (positive or negative), and with this phone, it's definitely negative. It does have positives, but here is what I've found to be wrong with it:

1. Horrible battery life. I had to buy a 3200mAh battery just to get through a single day of moderate use: texting, web browsing, email, no media at all. Absolutely atrocious battery life.

2. Random restarts. The phone will randomly just restart itself. No clue what triggers it, happens once every 1-2 months.

3. RF reception is bad. My friend is sitting next to me with his verizon droid bionic, he has connectivity, I do not. Happens often.

4. Bluetooth noise. I have tried 3 different bluetooth headsets, all have an annoying background whine, as well as white noise, while in a call with this phone. Documented firmware issue, has been around for over a year, nothing has been done to fix it.

5. GPS won't lock. I enable GPS, turn on google maps, and it often takes 20 minutes for the GPS to actually lock and accurately reflect my location. I am driving through suburbia, I put the phone right under my windshield, zero obstructions... no lock.

6. Lag. The web browser lags, apps lag, even the damn home screen lags. Every time they release an update it gets better... for a day or two. Then it's back to lag city.

7. Various other bugs that may be Android related, rather than specific to this phone: text messages sometimes get "stuck" until you send another one (especially MMS ones containing pictures), apps crash, impossible to get rid of google's apps that you never use, and then those apps bug you to update them, etc, etc.
on November 26, 2012
I personally don't think that this phone gets the recognition it deserves. It's a great looking phone that functions amazingly well.

I purchased this phone when it came on on the Verizon Network and I don't regret it. I guess I would be what you would call an "advance" user as I've rooted and rom'd my phones....and if that's what you're looking to get into, then owning a Nexus phone is the way to go.

Now for the regular users. This phone has almost an infinity look to the front of it, as the bezel is black on top and bottom and runs directly to the screen. Depending on the angle you hold the phone you almost can't tell where the screen starts and ends when it's not on.

It's a great phone to have because you will keep up to date with the Android builds. You were able to take advantage of 4.0, 4.1 and probably 4.2 before most other phones are even considered to have it. Owning this phone means you get the Google Experience. Basically you don't get held down with all of the fancy "bloatware" that motorola, htc or even samsung puts on their phones. A Nexus device is purely stock android and the way it should be.

Now, to the issues which keep me from giving the phone 5 stars. I do believe that the radios (the method your phone gets its wireless signal with) are a beat lackluster. I notice that my signal bars are often lower than most other phones, BUT I have read this is the way the phone interprets it....but I know most of you will just want to look at the bars and judge by that. So an example would be when I have 1 bar 4G LTE my girlfriends Droid Razr generally has 3 bars 4G LTE in the exact same spot.

I'm also not a fan of the back case on the phone. It's built out of plastic and seems a bit slippery, so get a case or you'll be dropping the phone. Also, the case has little plastic tabs that snap into place. If you frequently remove your batter I can see how these plastic tabs can break (1 of mine did, but it took a year)

Finally, the camera. It's fast, it can take amazing pictures. It's only 5MP. It's a bit low in the world of "super phones", but it'll focus and take a picture faster than most of the 8MP cameras out there. So, you have to weigh out the pros and cons of that one for yourself.
on July 18, 2012
I get this phone back in March where the price is more than $225. I have been very good experience with HTC incredible, but my wife dropped the HTC and end up with broken screen. That is the reason that I bought GNexus, which end up with a terrible experience. The first phone from Amazon is not able to activate. The second phone does work. However, compared to my HTC incredible, this phone has a very week signal. At my office, I often cannot talk on the phone and missed 40% of them, which have never happened to me with my Htc incredible. I have to use my office phone most of the time. Now, it is about 4 months since I have it. My Galaxy nexus cannot make phone call using the ear speaker. Only back speaker or headphone can be used to make phone calls. When I unplug headphone from the phone, the music does not pause (google music). Instead, it continue to play. Searched online, it looks like that the headphone jack sensor is broken. If I installed a software called Wired Headphone/Headset Fix, it will be able to use ear speaker for phone calls. Looks like the phone always assume that the headphone jack is attached, even actually it is not. Wired Headphone/Headset Fix is not a fix to the hardware (only disable headphone jack by software) and will not be able to automatically detect the headphone jack, and I would like Sumsung to fix my phone. Now it is on this way to Sumsung for repair.

Another thing is that the phone is now extremely slow now. It is not responsive and lags for simple go home button. It is not as smooth as my old HTC incredible even for more than 2 years of use. Galaxy nexus is the worst phone I ever have in my lifetime. Please do not buy it for your own time. Keep it away.

Update:
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
The phone is back from Samsung repair, which takes about 2 weeks. The repair does fix the headphone jack. However, the signal at my office is still poor. I cannot make a phone call for >10 minutes, where my old HTC incredible has no problem at all.

Update: Aug 14

The phone is malfunctioned again 2 weeks of repair. The worse experience...%$$$%&...I need to send it back to Samsung again,which takes more than 2 weeks to fix....What a pain. I called Verizon canceled my contract, paying >$300. Totally a nightmare.
on December 18, 2011
This is the best phone on Verizon period. I dropped my new iphone4s from a 12 foot ladder at work and it shattered, literally. I should have bought the insurance... I did not . The VZW rep gave me a very "slight" discount for being a loyal customer, so I bought the Nexus. I am so glad I bought this. The screen is large and colors pop. The new operating system is beautiful and very fast. The build quality is good, but the iphone probably edges it out a little in quality, but the iphone is glass and breaks easily.. so it's probably a wash. The only con I could find was battery life. Get the extended battery. A screen this big uses the battery quicker than a smaller screen. 4G speeds are so fast, it's close to my home cable line speeds.. Lastly I love the ability to customize my phone. Android is MUCH easier than other OS's. This is really a great phone Overall I'm very happy! I love it.
on May 11, 2012
The good:
- The phone is light and feels great in your hand. Some people prefer heavier phones but I really love how this phone feels. It also looks great.

- The screen is great. Large and very high-res. (Colors aren't fantastic, though. I stopped noticing after a day or two.)

- The phone is extremely responsive. My big problem with my last Android phone is that it was clunky and unresponsive. Scrolling is smooth and apps are very fast.

- Verizon LTE. Where I live I get about 18 megabits per second consistently. It still amazes me.

The bad:
- My first one had serious signal problems. It lost *all* cell signal for a few minutes at a time at least once every half hour, which killed the battery. This meant I was unable to call, text, or use data (or receive calls and texts) until it picked up again. If this happens to you, take the phone back. The Verizon store swapped mine without hassle and the new one doesn't have this problem at all. Apparently this is a common problem.

- There's an issue with multitouch which can prevent the phone from recognizing two fingers at once. Apparently this is bad for gaming, but it also affects typing, depending on how quickly you type. Letters are occasionally skipped because the phone didn't sense my finger. This is apparently going to be fixed in an upcoming patch, but it's been delayed by Verizon for several months, so who knows when that'll happen.

- The maximum ringer volume is way too low. You're likely to miss it if you're in the other room, and the alarm's not going to wake you up if you're a heavy sleeper. Luckily there's an app called Volume+ on the market that fixes this by increasing the max volume. You don't even have to root your phone.

The three star rating is due to Verizon's slowness in releasing the update. Models of the Galaxy Nexus for other carriers suffered from the same signal and multitouch issues, but they were updated months ago. This phone is pushing 5 months old and still hasn't received an update since launch day, despite major bugs. Samsung did a great job, Google did a great job, but Verizon needs to get its act together.
on September 11, 2012
I bought this phone when it came out in December, 2011. Love the Nexus experience--I came from a direct-from-Google Nexus One and I really enjoy that ICS goodness. In fact that should be the #1 reason why you want this phone.

However, I recommend AGAINST getting this phone from Verizon Wireless. They were the first-to-market in USA with this device and yet they still have not delivered the latest Android Jelly Bean for this device. It goes against the biggest advantage that makes the Google Nexus program from the consumer perspective, if other devices and carriers are getting the latest Android update before this device, including non-Nexus devices.

Of course, there are other advantages to this phone, such as a healthy support from 3rd party developers who offer ROMs and other ways to tinker with your phone, by rooting it. If you're here because you want to root your phone, then this Nexus phone remains an attractive offer.

If you're not, and you're looking for the latest and greatest updates from Google for Android, DON'T get a Verizon Wireless device. They have shown to be slow and uncommunicative for their new smartphone user base looking to upgrade their phone's software. Crippling Google Wallet has nothing on delaying a relatively small, incremental release like Jelly Bean. God forbid when a major Android release comes out, we'll likely never going to see it released by VZW short of half a year.

I still give this phone 3 stars because it is well-supported by 3rd party, and generally offers adequate set of hardware for today's best apps. I only took one star off for VZW's inadequacies, and one more star for its less-than-ideal build quality and relatively unwieldy size. The front glass is scratch prone, so I recommend some screen protector if you're any sort of rough on your phone. I already have 2 very minor scratches in 7 months, without using any protection.
on March 4, 2015
It's too bad about this I was exited to use this Nexus phone. The phone looks absolutely perfect. It's clean and scratch-free and has the great Jelly-bean version software, better than the advertised Ice-Cream Sandwich. But, it has 2 problems. The first is the supplied charger does nothing. I had to use another Nexus charger from LG to see it charge and when it was charged the battery lasted no longer than a couple of hours. Even with that the most important thing about the phone failed.
No matter what I do, it doesn't see a network. I'm not talking WiFi I'm talking LTE, the Wifi is working fine and I was able to login to my google account just fine. The problem is with the LTE network, there are no bars showing and I am in the heart of Boston. All my phones have full bar reception...I added my sim card and still nothing happens. I even went through manually setting it up online with VW by changing my current phone EID to the Nexus (which isn't neccessary) but it still doesn't connect. It's like there is no antenna. I'm still hopeful that there's something I'm missing and it all can be corrected soon.
StayTuned

Okay, Part 2
Nothing I did could correct the problem I'm having. It doesn't see any Network and therefore, will not connect to Verizon. It also has the worst battery problem I've seen and the connector is questionable. Since the listing shows that they are currently out of stock I'm gonna have to return it.
on January 23, 2012
I have had this phone for a little over a month. Recently I was given an iPhone 4S and figured I would give an honest review between the two.

The Galaxy Nexus has it on both screen size and quality. The Nexus just blows away the iPhone on screen quality - just amazingly clear.

ICS versus iOS - Got to give it to Google, things are integrated without me even thinking about it--amazingly intuitive user interface. It also makes the IOS so bland, which surprised me because I was impressed with the iPhone interface when it first came out. ICS is just so nice (and way more stable than previous versions of Android). I am also concerned about the limited amount of pages on the iOS -- where am I going to put my apps? (Maybe there is something to extend this?)

Widgets - enough said, not available on the iPhone. Not a big deal though because there are only a couple I really use. Still nice.

Apps - I was surprised on this one. Some of the free apps I used on the Android platform did not have as many levels or features when used on the iPhone... strange. iPhone users more likely to pay? There are a few apps that just work better on the iPhone, such as the Stock and Weather apps. For some reason my weather widget on the Nexus will not have data available a good amount of the time.
I kept thinking that the number of Apps on iTunes would tip the scales in favor of the iPhone, but not really. All the good ones are available in the Android market. I also noticed several reviews on the iTunes site about crashing apps, which I would have figured Apple's control over iOS and apps would prevent.

Build - I have to give it to the iPhone. I have been so afraid I am going to flex the Nexus and crack the screen when I place it in my pocket. Also, the battery cover is just plain flimsy/a joke. The iPhone at least feels solid - let's see over time.

I am sure I am leaving out a lot of details, but let me put it this way - if you are trying to decide between the two platforms, the Nexus is a much nicer way to go. Under my circumstances I will have to give up my Nexus and keep the iPhone - and I am really depressed about that. I had been looking forward to the iPhone and Siri - but in the end I would have much rather have kept my Nexus.
on May 19, 2012
This is my third month with this phone and I am experiencing a lot of dropped calls (or calls with static). On the average, I have been making 6 to 7 short calls, with this phone, a day. More than half of the calls got dropped in the middle of the conversation. I live in San Jose, California and according to the sales person at the Verizon store, I should not have any problem with the connection.

The issue with excessive dropped calls alone would have earned only one star from me. And to make the matter worst, the phone has one of the worst batteries. I use this phone on an average of one hour per day and I have to charge it twice a day. I have both of my WI-FI and Bluetooth turned off.

5/27/2012
I had the battery replaced and the new battery, after fully charged overnight, can last me up to about two days. I've also deleted my e-mail account so the phone won't download any e-mail in the backgroud and turned off the'Data Enabled' hence saving the battery (I was told). However, the problem with drop calls has not improved. If I need to access the internet or checking my e-mail, I just turn on the 'Data Enabled'.

11/17/2012
Learned another trick. I found this, on the internet, and decided to give it a try. I set my 'Preferred Network mode' to CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA. After I did this, I have been experiencing fewer drop calls.

Now I am revising the rating and I am giving it a three instead of one star.