on May 6, 2012
I've been an Android user since I switchhed from my iPhone 3G in early 2009. I've been an enthusiastic user of the various custom ROMs and modifications available for these devices. I started with a Nexus One, then moved over to a Droid on Verizon, HTC Incredible, and now the Galaxy Nexus.

Having seen each version of Android from 2.0 to 4.0, I'm extremely impressed with what they've done. This phone really wakes up with a custom kernel (I'm on Franco.kernel nightly) and ROM (AOKP nightly r33, soon to be milestone 5). I also flashed the official 4.0.4 radio, and connectivity and 4G changeover are much better. I get excellent reception everywhere, and 4G is blazing fast and reliable everywhere I use it (greater Los Angeles area, Las Vegas, etc.).

The phone itself has an amazing screen, it's huge and easy to read, and with my huge hands, easy to type on. I love the resolution and color definition.

The performance of the phone is blazing fast. Once you move to the custom ROMs and kernels, you'll see a world's worth of difference in the already impressive performance. I have no complaints about the phone. I got the 2100 mAh extended battery, and it lasts all day with JuiceDefender (free or $2 premium) enabled. My battery stats when it's nearly drained show 1.5+ hours of talk time and 2.5+ hours of the screen being on, with 4G in use some of the time. This is impressive to me, compared to all the other phones I've had.

This may not be the pinnacle of technology or speed, but I highly recommend it for the Android enthusiast.
on May 1, 2012
I previously had the Galaxy S2 and I did a lot of research before buying this phone. I've had it for about 4 days now and so far I absolutely love it. It's snappy and the battery life is better than it was with my GS2. Also, I find that ICS 4.x runs much better on this phone, which makes since considering the Nexus was made for ICS.

Pros:

-Gorgeous display, very vibrant colors
-Good battery life
-Easy to root (which you should do if you wanna get the most out of your phone)
-Large screen size
-Easy to use

Cons:

-Stock launcher leaves something to be desired. I recommend rooting and using Nova launcher
-LTE not available in all markets
-No gorilla glass

I give the phone a 9/10 rating. I would recommend it to anyone.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got this phone after having an iPhone 3GS on AT&T. I was looking forward to Verizon 4G speed and reliable signal availability. The Nexus had problems right away. If 4G was on, the battery would drain in just a few hours, even if I wasn't actually using the phone for anything. And when I was using it, 4G would drop in and out, and while it was out there was no connection at all. The phone couldn't even be used as an alarm clock if 4G was left on; it would die before morning. Some have said you can't leave 4G on. I reject that position for two reasons. One, I'm paying for 4G. Two, my wife's HTC phone works fine on Verizon 4G. Her battery makes it through the day and she nevers turns 4G off. So a 4G phone should be capable of using 4G all day long.
Amazon Wireless customer support was excellent and sent me a replacement. I used this for a week and through better power management, I was able to make the battery last overnight, but I had to leave 4G off and make sure to shut off wifi and GPS. And, just as before, when I tried to use 4G, it was unreliable.
So while Ice Cream Sandwich is quite nice to use, this phone it not acceptable to me as a useful smartphone.
Amazon Wireless was kind enough to send me a replacement Motorola Razr Maxx, which I'm hopeful will consistently offer me 4G service.
on March 28, 2012
I've been using Android devices for over two years now and until Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) I secretly believed iOS was slightly better than Android. I can honestly say that with Android 4.0, there is not one single advantage iOS5 has over Android.

The only thing I was worried about when purchasing this phone was the size. After playing with it for about a day I soon realized that the size wasn't a problem... in fact, I actually like the 4.6 inch screen! It's really thin so it easily fits in a pocket and videos/websites/games look fantastic. The only downside is that it takes a few days to get used to using the phone with one hand because it's so large... and unfortunately it may be difficult or impossible if you have small hands.

Galaxy Nexus
- 4G
- widgets
- ability to customize home screens
- faster processor
- more ram
- 16:9 aspect ratio
- an arguably better screen (slightly less ppi but blacker blacks and brighter colors)
- TRUE multitasking
- ability to use third party keyboards, launchers, sms apps, etc...

iPhone 4s
- smaller phone (but not as thin)
- gorilla glass
on March 25, 2012
I'll keep it brief. This phone is fast, has a great form factor and a sexy screen. Plus, ICS is a very big step forward, and I could not go back to gingerbread, or iOS for that matter, now that I've used it.

Only qualm is that the volume is a little low. "Volume+" rendered that a non-issue, so now we're totally good.
on March 25, 2012
I've only had this phone for a short time but I haven't had any issues so far with signal or data. I am a light user so the battery is definitely not an issue for me. I'm coming from the Droid X which I had no problems with. This phone is much faster! I did alot of research on my next phone and it came down to this or the Razr Max. I chose this because of the developer support available which can help solve alot of the issues. I upgraded through amazon wireless and when I received the phone I noticed right away that the botom right hand corner of the screen was discolored pink. It was a 1 inch square area that stayed no matter what screen I cycled to. I called Amazon Wireless help and they immediately agreed to send a replacement, all I have to do is send the old one back within 30 days return postage paid for by them. I only wish that I had contacted them before wasting my time driving to a verizon store!
on March 1, 2012
I knew I was ready for a smartphone experience and I wanted the best...and I got more than I bargained for. The screen makes everything come alive...the camera is fantastic! I was concerned about it only being 5 MP but I assure you the pictures are fabulous...thank goodness for the flash. The screen is so big. I am still tweeking settings so as to save my battery life! I considered buying the extended battery but did not want the bulky back cover. I bought a desk top charger with a regular battery...this way the look of the phone will stay the same...nice and thin...but yet I pretty much doubled the battery life and got a stand for my phone/alarm clock! lol
on February 12, 2012
I wanted to post a few things in this review that I was looking for the answer on before I bought this phone myself.

Battery is of more importance to me than 4g speeds. The 4g eats battery like nobody's business but toggle it off and go back to 3g which is still plenty fast for me and suddenly battery life is quite good (for a smartphone). I've been getting plus or minus 24 hours (really 24 hours not just saying a work day) out of a charge with average usage (3-4 hours of screen on web browsing/fiddling mostly on wi-fi, light camera usage, checking email throughout day, maps, 30min call time, etc.) Got the 2100mah extended battery coming too which should add a few more hours at least I hope.

The camera is average. Definitely the weakest link and I'm not just saying that because it is a 5mp vs 8mp. I had an open mind about that and was hoping that was all people were focused on was the number but the camera just really isn't that great. I'm coming off the original droid incredible who's camera was...well...Incredible (for a phone).

ICS/Android 4.0 is awesome. User friendly. Quick. Highly functional and easy to use.

The processor is zippy. Definitely the fastest I have used. Will not let you down.

The screen is awesome. Seems a little dim in the auto-mode when I'm in lower light but that is a fair compromise for extended battery life.

It does feel a little big in my pocket particularly when I'm sitting but not at all too big in my hands. The small bezel and thin profile helps fit that large screen in a manageable total package.

Waiting for the 4.0.4. upgrade to roll out (still on 4.0.2) but I haven't really noticed any connection problems/battery drain that I read about in forums. Looking forward to getting the quick updates associated with a nexus device.

Other than the camera I am very happy with my purchase.
on February 11, 2012
I went from a Nexus One to this. Speeds are incredible, oftentimes loading pages faster than laptops. Battery life is fine, albeit with a car charger. Camera's ability to take quick pictures is a major bonus. Only problem I have with it is that the vibrate is very week, so I often don't notice when I'm getting a call while on silent mode. Love it, highly recommended.
on February 3, 2012
I don't ever sit down to write reviews, but I'm so blown away by this phone I had to do this. I've owned and used a lot of cell phones in my life but the Galaxy Nexus is beyond anything I could have dreamed of. The look, feel, and function all blend together to give you the ultimate user experience.

Hardware
Pros:
Curved screen allows the massive screen to fit comfortably in your hand and makes it feel more snug against your face.
Everything looks amazing on the the Super AMOLED screen. Although the screen may not be as bright as some, I actually prefer that because it still looks amazing in all lighting conditions, yet doesn't burn your retinas out when reading it in a dark room.
Simply said 4G is blazing. Seeing how you're signing a 2 year contract on this phone, I think 4G is a MUST as 4G as is the new standard of mobile communications. You have to keep in mind LTE = Long Term Evolution, as in it's going to take some time until it's fully rolled out. 4G on this phone for means it's is ready for the future.
I used to think Motorola phones always had the best call quality, not any more! Calls are crystal clear on both ends.
The notification LED light is easy to see, pleasant to look at, has different colors for each notification (I use LightFlow to control the colors) just like my old BlackBerrys!
Con
Battery life. Because the battery is swappable, I recommend buying an extra battery (the extended-life one) and an external battery charger so you can just swap and go.

Software
Pros
Google really hit one out of the park. So many good things I can't list them. Home screen, apps menus, widget and widget controls, address book, multi-tasking are all amazing to look at, while being extremely functional. The OS really lets the display shine, with full screen high resolution contact photos (when viewing a contact/caller ID), menu transitions, smart buttons, etc.
GMail is as good as the desktop version, Google Talk Video Chat works very well while on 4G, Turn-by-Turn navigation, Google Music, Google+ all bring THE Cloud experience to you in the palm of your hand and it all flows together seamlessly and is fun to use. For the first time Android has the same feel as the iPhone in terms of a cohesive feel throughout, only Android does WAY more then iOS ever will.
Con
Not all third party software is ready for the OS, but all the ones I use have little to no issues.

Bottom line is this is THE phone to own. Samsung and Google are blazing trails that a few years ago would have been deemed impossible. If you want a phone that's fun to use, does more then you can imagine, won't become out of date during your two year term look no further, the Galaxy Nexus is it!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations