Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now Deal of the Day

on April 17, 2012
Came from Droid X

Price- $49.99 from my cell phone service provider during a recent sale. I couldn't believe my eyes how cheap it was. The cheapest here on Amazon was something like 129.99 a while ago. I had my eye on this phone from the get go. I was just waiting for the right price point to drop. I'm glad I waited for this phone instead of pulling the trigger on the Bionic. I bought this brand new as well. The Droid X I bought last year was $100 and it was certified pre owned.
Size- big 4.3 inch screen. Thick and heavy. Fits nice in the hand and fits in my jeans packet easily. It also fits in my Droid X cradle and car dock as well. Build quality seems good. The back panel is not easy to take off, but it's not difficult, either. I'm worried though that if I take off enough times, it'll wear down and become looser.
Call Quality- loud and clear. Sometimes have to move phone away from my ear it is so loud. I haven't had many phone calls. I also haven't had any dropped phone calls. Verizon is an excellent service in my area.
Data- I'm living in a 3G area but I do go to 4G areas frequently and the phone is blazing. Another kudos to Verizon's network. I think it's faster than my home's wifi connection. Couple this with a dual core processor and it's a joy to use to stream music, surf the web and download and upload files. The only hiccup I noticed was when I was at the beach, it asked if I wanted roaming data because Canada is right across from Lake Erie where I live. It said something about roaming on your trip (to another country?) I had to turn data off at that point.
GPS- locks on faster than my Droid X. I use my phone as a dedicated GPS in the car so it was important that this works flawlessly. And it does. It also appears to be more accurate. Very rarely did the Droid X lock on precisely where I was. Additionally, on the Droid X, it took a while for the GPS to turn on. On the Rezound, it's instantaneous. Initializing the navigation app on the DroidX was hit or miss. I just turned it on in my living room and the Rezound found my location precisely. The Droid X had to be outside, away from the house before it locked on. Sometimes it had to wait till I was driving away from my house.
Hardware and capacitive Buttons- No dedicated camera button which isn't a big deal, but was a nice feature on the Droid X. The power button is nearly flush with the body frame. It can be difficult to find without looking. Putting a case on the Rezound makes it a little easier to find. The volume buttons are ridiculously difficult to press down. And the case I bought for it actually makes it harder. So I decided to download an app that gives me onscreen controls to volume. This is not ideal because the screen has to be woke up and on to use the app. The 4 capacitive buttons on the bottom work well. They are very touch sensitive. Although I enjoyed using the tactile feedback of the Droid X's hard buttons, these capacitive buttons are a joy to use. The fact that you cant use the buttons until the phone is woken up from sleep may be a good thing to prevent accidental button presses.
Camera- I rarely use the video recorder but I took a video is a low light situation for about 5 minutes and it came out nicely. Sound was excellent. Some blurring as I panned back and forth. I used the 1080 HD setting. It didn't use up much battery, which I found surprising. The camera is faster than the Droid X in terms of initializing and shutter speed. It has some great settings. I especially like the Action Burst, which takes five pictures in succession to allow you to choose the best picture among the five. I'm not a camera buff so I'm not going to comment anymore. I haven't used the front camera yet, except to just try it out. It'll only work in a well lighted area because of no flash.
Music- Meh. My music is in the cloud, which uses Google's Music app, not the phone's music app. So I can't comment if the Beats make a difference. The headphones look nice. Not sure if they are worth a hundo. The external speaker is loud. Louder than the Droid X's speaker.
HTC Sense 3.5- Coming from Moto Blur, it was a minimally skinned phone on the Droid X compared to the Rezound. The only widget I liked on Blur was the contacts widget. HTC Sense is real nice. I hated using a lock screen on the Droid X but this lockscreen is actually useful! It has short cuts for phone, camera, and messages and then I put navigation on it. Really cool. I use the power settings widget, the Friend Stream Widget, which combines my twitter feed and Facebook feed, the People Widget, which loads a specific group of contacts and their latest activity from Facebook, twitter, whatever. There's a great text messaging widget that presents your latest texts in a card setup. You can flick through the cards vertically to see your latest conversations. Scrolling is smooth through home screens but not very fast. Returning to the home screen from an app doesn't hang the phone up at all, apps and widgets populate fast.
Display- Crisp and clear. Colors pop. Not easy to see in sunlight. Much better looking than the Droid Bionic. It does attract fingerprints like crazy. No Gorilla Glass means less peace of mind, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference. I'm sure all smart phones now have some sort of reinforced glass.
Battery- Not sure. I have switched among the power settings but haven't used each one consistently to determine which is best. At times the phone will last a day, other times, it'll only last the morning; it all depends on what I'm doing. The biggest drain seems to be streaming music online through tune in radio, Pandora or MLB At Bat 12. I bought a second battery on Amazon for $10 and a battery charger here for a few dollars. Don't need a cable for it, the second battery sticks right into the charger and the charger plugs into a wall outlet. So I always have another battery at hand. Fits in your pocket too. Battery seems to last longer if I stay on 3G rather than 4G.
Overall, it's a beautiful phone that does nearly everything I want it to do. It was a steal for the price I paid for it. I would recommend an extra battery.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2012
This is currently the best Verizon phone on the market. I will not list the specs again since you know them by now.
I will only list the problems you might have with the phone (just makes it easier and quicker)

CONS:

1) Battery Life is very short. Due to the powerful CPU and the amazing HD screen the battery is not adequate enough to give you a prolonged multimedia experience unless you have it hooked up to power. There is a extended battery available that helps a lot with the battery issue but also makes the phone a lot thicker. I personally do not mind the added millimeters, the phone actually cradles better in your hand but many people will find it too thick (especially women with their dainty hands :)

2) The phone runs hot. Again, the processing power of the phone generates heat in the battery and the phone runs hot when you play certain games or watch a lot movies. There have been reports of some people getting over 140 degrees which is way to hot and they exchanged their phones and have not had the issues since. My phone doesn't get hotter than 120 max and only if I play graphic intensive games for too long. But dont forget iPhones get hot also so its a side effect of smartphones at this time.

3) Red buttons are pink on some peoples phones

4) Case creaks when you hold it a certain way.

5) Camera pictures look a little yellowish when taken indoors. (This phone has a awesome camera though)

6) Some people have reported a hissing sound in the headphones. I personally didn't have this issue at all.

Thats about it. IMHO the PROS outweigh the CONS. This is a great and you will have a lot fun with it.
If you want to getting even more speed and power out of it I recommend rooting it and removing all the crapware Verizon puts on these phones. Your performance will go through the roof after doing rooting it. The Rez has a great community on XDA with a lot of great Roms to install ([...])
on March 11, 2012
Made the switch from a Blackberry Bold to the HTC Rezound a couple weeks back. I did a ton of research and it came down to iPhone 4S or the Rezound. My wife has the iPhone 4S, so I had a strong reference of comparison before I purchased and during my 14 day trial period. I opted for the Rezound for a number of reasons and I have not been disappointed!. This phone is one incredible powerhouse. The HD screen pops, and the 4.3 inch size is perfect IMHO...bigger (and much nicer) than the iPhone screen, but not so big that you can't use one hand to do most everything. Some reviews mention that it is a thick phone, but I have compared it to the super thin Razor and the Rezound just feels perfect in your hand. Other reviews have criticized HTC's Sense overlay, but I personally love it...it is very practical, functional, and customizable. It really allows you to make the phone unique to you. The camera is unbelievable, and rivals my personal high-end camera in quality. The Beats headphones and the overall audio experience are fantastic. If you could give 4&1/2 stars, that would be my rating, as this phone isn't perfect. My only concerns are that I was able to port over most, but not all of my iTunes library (cannot if you don't have DRAM permission), and the battery drains pretty fast on this puppy if you are a power user. I was on a business trip last week, and was without the ability to recharge during the day for two days during the trip...by the end of both days, the battery was below 10% by 9 pm. Luckily there are several apps that help conserve battery life and HTC offers some settings that will help too. I also bought a cradle charger for work, so I don't expect many issues. But I hear that 4G phones all experience this kind of drain when you use the 4G network frequently. Overall, just a fantastic phone.
on January 14, 2012
Switched to a Rezound from a Bionic. So far, I am mightily impressed. Even with the battery life, I'd recommend this phone to anybody.

Pros: Display is simply put, amazing. May not be AMOLED, but wow, it's still impressive. Even in sunlight, it's crystal clear and sharp.

Speed: I'm new to Sense, but I noticed no lag time flipping through the various screens. Zips right along. With a 1.5 dual-core, it better. And it does.

Call quality: No problems here. Could hear callers with no problems. And I've had not one complain about my end.

Size, feel, and design: I've read reviews where people commented about the weight of the Rezound. Said it was too big. I disagree. It feels solid in the hand, but not weighty. And I love the design. The rubberized backing is a plus, imo. Love the red and black colors.

Camera: Amazing. No shutter lag. At all. The Bionic camera was awful, even after the update. My husband has an I-phone and I was jealous at how much better that camera was. I no longer have that envy. I have sooo upgraded! Takes great pictures. Nice and crisp.

4G: Gets amazing speeds. I occasionally drop into 3G at home, but Verizon just turned on 4G near my home, so I can't complain. At work, I stay in 4G all day. Download speeds are awesome.

Beats headphones: These things are great. Comfortable in the ear and they sound great. It really didn't factor in my decision when choosing this phone, but I'm glad they came with it after trying them out.

CONS:

The power button: I find it to be too flush. I am finding myself having to actually use my fingernail to engage it.

Home button lighting: Due to the light sensor, they don't always come on. I wish HTC had an option to always have them lit and have them turn off after 30 seconds or so if not in use. Or something like that.

Battery: I guess I can't complain too much, as I get about 11-12 hours before the warning comes on, but I still wish they put a bigger battery in it. That is with decent usage (emailing, FB, Twitter, internet, downloading) Oh well, I'll probably either buy another regular battery or just get an extended one. I think you really should be able to get at least a full day on a battery.

Bloatware: Verizon's fault. I have no problem with them putting software on the phone, but I think it's ridiculous that you can't remove what you don't want. Thankfully, I hear the bootloader is unlocked to where you can make said changes. I just need to learn how to do it!
on December 30, 2011
I got this phone after doing a lot of research about the best one to get: the Rezound, the Galaxy Nexus, or the Razr? After having the Rezound for a while, I'm very happy with my choice. It's not an absolutely perfect phone- if I could give it 4.5 stars, I would- but I'd recommend the Rezound over its Android competitors in a heartbeat.

Here are its advantages:

+ The best screen. This phone simply has a much better screen than the Nexus or the Razr. It's much sharper and better looking. Go to the Verizon store, and load up a webpage with small text, zoomed out (the one I use for this test is the New York Times non-mobile homepage). The Rezound is just much sharper. The Razr is downright ugly, and the Nexus is pretty good, but not as good as the Rezound. I'd say this phone has a better screen than any other phone I've seen- it's just like the iPhone's, except much bigger. And that's exactly what I wanted.

+ HTC Sense. I really like all the features and customizations this has. I played a bit with the Nexus, and didn't like its look and feel nearly as much.

+ Very fast. No noticeable lag when I do anything. I just love how fast this phone is.

+ Good battery life. It's a 4g smartphone, so it's not going to last days and days. But I can get through a day of light use on the standard battery, and that's all I expect. I also like that the extended battery is so much bigger. I can almost get through two days on that. The Nexus's extended battery is much smaller, so it fits in the normal phone back and doesn't require a special backplate, but it doesn't actually extend battery life by much. The Razr doesn't even let you switch batteries.

+ The shape and feel. I love how this phone feels in my hand. It's just the right weight, shape, size, and texture. I know it's thicker than the Nexus and Razr, but I think they're too thin, especially the Razr. I don't even mind the thickness when the extended battery is on. The phone also feels very solid and well-built.

+ Call quality. I haven't compared this to the other two phones. But the call quality is great, and better than my last smartphone. I'm very happy with it.

+ The camera is great.

+ The headphones and Beats sound great. But I didn't buy this phone for the music, and haven't used the music features much. I really think HTC should have focused its promotions on its screen, which is better than any other phone that's been released.

+ The 4G signal is always very fast, and the GPS is always very accurate and locks on instantly. I tested the 4G, and compared the speed to wifi on my cable modem. The 4G is about as fast as my cable internet.

+ No bugs so far. I know this is a lack of a negative, but it's worth mentioning. No crashes, weird occurrences, or other problems.

Now for the negatives:

- The buttons are kind of hard to press. HTC should have made them stick out more. I've gotten used to it, but I still wish they stuck out more.

- It's not going to get the same operating system updates that the Nexus will. I know it will get an Android 4.0 update sometime next year, but I doubt it will get later updates. I personally prefer Android 2.3 + HTC Sense to the Nexus's pure Android 4.0. But I'd really like to see what Sense + Android 4.0, and 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 will look like. I hope HTC exceeds my expectations and releases regular and rapid updates.

- The case situation. Since the extended battery requires a much larger backplate, it can't fit in a regular Otterbox case. I wish I could use the same case for the phone regardless of which battery is in, but I can't. I haven't bought any cases yet because I'm not sure what to do. If you know for sure that you want to buy a case, it might make more sense for you to just buy a second regular battery. I also wish HTC had found a way to make the extended battery in a different, more irregular shape, so that the extended battery's backplate could stick out a lot less.

- The phone has a lot of Verizon bloatware. I knew before I bought the phone that it would come with a lot of Verizon software pre-installed that I wouldn't be able to remove. What I didn't know is that some of that software would run automatically, all the time, and that if I tried to quit the programs with Advanced Task Manager, the programs would just start up again. This means that some of my phone's memory and performance is being wasted and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I know I said the phone has no lag, but I'd still like to have every bit of power I can, and not have any wasted on software like Slacker Radio that I can't remove. (I also know some people root their Android phones to remove this stuff. I'd rather not have to do so.)

- I know I said I didn't buy this phone for the music. But when I do use my phone to listen to music, it's usually through Pandora. The Beats Audio optimizations only work when you're listening through the phone's Music app, which only plays music you store on the phone. So if you're listening to music through Pandora, or Google Music, or the un-removable Slacker Radio app, you can't use Beats. Since HTC chose to promote the Beats feature as the phone's number 1 advantage (which I think was a mistake), they should have taken the effort to get this feature right.

Overall, I'd very highly recommend this phone to anyone who's considering a Verizon smartphone. It's not perfect, but I love it.
on December 7, 2011
I'll be short and to the point: I purchased a Rezound when it became more than clear that Verizon was not going to release the Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime in late November. I cancelled my At&t line and opened a Verizon account so I could get the Rezound for $0.01 during the Penny Saver sale. Great decision.

Pros:
Screen is amazing. Viewing angles are mediocre but color accuracy, brightness, pixel density, and refresh rate are all better than I had hoped.

Faster than I expected - this is in part due to the fact that I was coming from a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate that was stuck with an install of pre-release Gingerbread, but everything I throw at the phone runs perfectly well and very smoothly. 720p Youtube videos are amazing to watch at a full 30fps and such clarity. Games run like butter (although the market still restricts you from purchasing games that it would clearly be able to run.

Call quality is very good for me in Nassau County, Long Island, NY.

LTE signal is strong and consistently fast for me. 65-80 ms ping (to NY, NY server) and between 20-22 Mbps down. Max upload was 6 Mbps or so.

Sense 3.5 is better than I expected. I love vanilla 2.3's launcher, but the Sense UI has come a long way and, aside from the Verizon and HTC related bloatware, is quite fast and unobtrusive for now.

I didn't get the phone for the iBeats headphones or the Beats audio enhancement but the headset (while somewhat meek and flimsy feeling) produces very good sound. A bit heavy on the bass as expected, but the highs and mids are not too shabby. Can it compare to my Etymotic hf2's? No, but it's a nice inclusion.

Cons:

Battery life - I cannot provide data to support this claim, but I can say that if you use your phone more than a moderate amount during the day with LTE on you may not make it through an 8-9 hour day. That being said I have had my phone on without charging during a good amount of use and on through the night (while at home on WiFi - set to turn off after 15 mins w/o use) get to 18 hours before dying. That includes texting (50-75 messages), internet browsing, a couple of youtube videos, brief game playing and 30 mins to 1 hour of voice. Draw your own conclusions about battery and if you are coming from an older LTE device you'll probably be pleased with the Rezound's battery performance anyhow.

Heat - the phone gets warm during: gaming (worse during 3D, but anything that keeps the screen on for a while whilst displaying a moving image will make it warm), videos, extensive web browsing on LTE, calls made while on LTE.

Development/Openness - Currently S-Off (bootloader locked) and only temporary root. Not unlocking, customs ROMS, root requiring apps (unless you never reboot) until HTC and Verizon allow us to unlock it on HTCdev.com

Bloat - This is mainly Verizon's fault and every phone you get from them will be plagued by this. There are apps installed that one cannot get rid of, processes it forces the phone to run, etc. This makes for 500 Megs of mem usage even AFTER killing all processes. Note - this is not usually an issue and rarely will interfere with your use of the device.

Randoms issues/complaints/things of note:

- I have had two random occasions when the phone turned off in the middle of the night and did not reset itself (missed my alarm). This is pure, stupid speculation, but the windows happened to be open both nights and the temperature happened to fall dramatically during the course of the evening.
- Light bleeds around the bezel and under the LEDs near the backlight for the screen.
- Generally holds onto an LTE signal very well, but it may transition to CDMA while on the train or in the car (at least for portions of the trip, but this is probably just due to Verizon LTE dead zones in Queens, NY.-
- Doesn't have ICS (although it will be getting it). When is it being updated is the question. I posted on the HTC USA Facebook page and they did respond to my statement regarding this:

[...]
- Some apps designed for devices in the 800x400 or 960x540 resolution range either 1) look interpolated and unclear/pixelated or 2) stay in their native resolution and do not fill up the screen. This is more of a complaint about Android fragmentation and those developing for it without taking advantage of multiple DPI support.
- Some apps designed for phones do not format well to the resolution/Some apps designed for tablet resolution don't work or format well either. Example of this: AMC's app for Phones and Tablets.

Conclusion:

I love this phone. It's speed, reliability, looks, feel, etc. all make up for the few qualms I have about it. If you are considering getting the phone (especially if there's a special deal for it less than $200 US) then rest assured that you'll be happy. When this gets ICS I am confident that even with whatever version/variant of Sense UI that is built into it that the phone will be even faster, smoother and more impressive.
on November 19, 2012
I've had this phone for about a couple of months now; I was excited because this was my first smartphone. At first, I did notice little bugs here or there but it was nothing major. It wasn't anything I couldn't deal with. Maybe that should have been the red flag that sent me packing: the screen freezing and the unlock patterns acting wonky. I just assumed things would get better and the problem would eventually resolve itself.

Then today, everything went wrong. I can't receive/send texts or make calls. I actually liked this phone, but I wish I would have known about all of the problems the HTC brand has. The Rezound isn't the only phone in this franchise that has had the same problems I've been faced with; I've been browsing the internet to find a fix for it and its pretty much all of the subsidiaries under this brand that have the same, exact problem only in different levels. Needless to say, this is a brand I won't becoming back to.This was my first smartphone and it has surely left a bad taste in my mouth. I will probably get a Droid next, if I get another smartphone that is.
on August 7, 2012
My Rezound was starting to act sluggish and drop data a few days before the update arrived to the point I was ready to take it in for replacement, but just then it went through a major update, the new 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating and ow it's like having a brand new phone. Smooth. Super Fast. I love this thing again and more! I've had my Rezound since January of 2012 and the only thing I didn't like about it before was being promised the update within a couple months but not having received it until now (August). I'm over that at this point and just glad to have the new ICS operating system.

The Beats headphones are a true bonus as well. I have a set of Sennheiser headphones that were $100, but these blow them away. I run with my phone and use it to keep track of my runs and as my music player as well. The 4G keeps my online music streaming flawlessly.

Also, the camera is the best I've ever used on a phone and I've used iPhone's and multiple other Androids. This camera can not be beat.

The voice recognition is darn near perfect as well. There are only a few times it's ever not gotten the transcription to the letter. Saves a lot of time and re-typing.

Overall it's a fantastic state of the art phone and I highly recommend it.
on July 24, 2012
Traded in a Razr Maxx because I lost flash video support when upgrading to ICS (Ice Cream sandwich). The Rezound is one of three or so phones that is certified to play flash videos after ICS upgrade. I am all for the conversion of flash to html5 platform, but nothing happens overnight.The phone has better picture quality and the extended battery will last as long as Razor Maxx. The 4g connection also seems to be a little more stable on the Rezound. Battery life is not great with any smartphone, but the extended battery will last me all day (5:30 am to 10:00 pm) with light to moderate use. Watching the videos will drain the battery rather quickly. I am happy that I switched to the Rezound during the 14 day exchange period. It is important to me that I can access videos from websites.

Pros

will have flash support in ics, beautiful hd screen
Cons

somewhat on the thick side-especially with extended battery
on June 30, 2012
This phone was a little bit dissapointing when I first picked it up, but I have since installed the new Sense 3.6/ICS 4.0.3 ROM onto it and now it is INCREDIBLE!! I absolutely love it and am more than satisfied. At first it was sluggish and laggy with poor animations....now it is snappy and beautiful! I highly recommend this device when the OTA ICS comes out (hopefully very soon, according to the sources on the internetz). Get it while it's cheap!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...