Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 1, 2012
I've had this for about three months and I'm on the third phone. The first one went into a continuous reboot cycle where it just rebooted all the time. They sent me a replacement apparently because I had bought the "protection plan" (gee, what happened to the warranty?). The replacement was also bad (WiFi kept starting and stopping which made WiFi useless and also disabled the Mobile Hotspot). Finally got a third one and this one seems like it works better than either of the other two.

Battery life sucks completely. I paid $50 and got an "extended battery" which makes the phone much thicker and heavier. Still, the thing will drain itself in half a day easy. In fact, if I go to bed with the battery on 50%, I will wake up to a dead phone. I would imagine the "standard" battery goes dead not very long after you turn the phone on.

The display is good, the speed is good, the apps are good, and it seems like a pretty rugged phone when it hasn't fried itself. The video quality is actually surprisingly good; it's better than my camcorder.
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2012
Features: 5 Stars

Design: 5 Stars

Performance: 5 Stars

Overall: The HTC Rezound is music lover's dream Android device. It does many things well with very few issues. My detailed usage based review follows.

Background: I upgraded from my Droid X, and I am experienced with Android. I also consider myself to be advanced when it comes to using high tech devices - although I have never rooted an Android device.

Setup: I bought mine at a local store, and the rep did everything up to where I entered my Google account. If you are doing this yourself (and it is your first 4g phone), the new thing you will have to deal with is the SIM card. It didn't look complicated, but then nothing does when someone else is doing it. Even though they are the same size, I did *not* transfer over my micro-SD card from my Droid X. I advise you against doing this because of the extraneous data that apps place on your SD card. This can cause problems on your new device.

Call Quality: This probably sounds strange, but making calls is pretty far down the list of things that I do with my phone. I do find the sound to be better than average on my end, and I have no complaints from folks on the other end. This includes normal usage and with a Bluetooth headset.

CPU: One of the things that I noticed immediately with the Rezound was how much more responsive apps are compared to the Droid X. I have the "Dominoes" app from Amazon, and the computer turns are almost too fast (I know, a good problem to have, right?). Switching between screens and scrolling through contacts and music are as smooth as can be. This is to be expected going from a 1 GHz single core to a 1.5 GHz dual core processor. I don't play a lot of fast paced or action games, and I expect the performance to be more than sufficient for my needs.

Data: Keeping with the "it's faster" theme let's talk about 4G. I'm not going to whip you with numbers, but the difference is striking over 3G on my Droid X. I had a number of pre-installed apps that needed updates in addition to adding some that I had on my Droid X. On smaller apps I thought the download failed because it was so fast. However closer inspection showed that they were there. One of my primary uses is to keep up with my Twitter feed. Using the Twitter for Android app I clicked through a few web links, and the page loads that were painful (take Fox Sports for example) loaded in a reasonable time - long enough to take a sip of coffee.

User Interface: This is my first HTC phone and therefore my first experience with the "Sense" overlay that they place on top of standard Android. I like the general look and feel of Sense much better than Motoblur. I had a friend who had the original HTC Hero on Sprint, and I always thought it had a good interface. On the Rezound it is highly customizable, and you have access the tweak it right from the home screen with the "Personalize" button. HTC's wallpaper selection is better than Motorola's in my opinion. The one thing I would change is the unlock swipe. I liked the left to right motion much better than the Sense bottom to top. Left to right is much easier to do one handed. Actually I don't think the bottom to top can be done one handed (at least by me). Flipping between screens is quite snappy courtesy of the generous CPU mentioned above. The HTC widgets for calendar and contacts are also great. Overall, give me HTC Sense 10 out of 10 times over Motoblur.

Music: You may have heard the phrase, "Those who know can't explain. Those who don't will never understand." I have experienced few things that fit this better than the combination of Beats Audio on the Rezound along with the supplied Beats Headphones. I used WMP to transfer music over from my laptop. It syncs like any other mp3 player. The playback is just amazing. It stands up to Alternative (Garbage "Push It"), Heavy Metal (Megadeth "Public Enemy Number One"), and Rap K'Naan ("ABCs"). I have been gradually stepping up the quality of device and headphones that I've been using over the last two years. With each step up I find that I am aware of more and more detail in the music. On "Public Enemy Number One" I heard the guitarist's fingers sliding down the fretboard. While the sound is bass heavy, I don't mind it. The detail across the spectrum is just something that you have to experience. If you are a music lover, this is your Android phone.

E-mail: If you were an early adopter of the Droid X, you most likely bought an additional e-mail client for syncing with Exchange. I don't know if Motorola ever fixed this on the X, but once I bought another client there was no reason to look back. I am happy to report that the default client on the Rezound syncs with my Exchange server at work with no issue. The UI is pretty good too. The one reason that I may switch to Moxier (what I used on the Droid X) is that with Moxier it is the only thing protected with the PIN rather than the entire device. This is not just a convenience issue. If you exceed your incorrect PIN entries using Moxier, it is the only thing wiped out. If you do that with the stock client, it wipes the entire device. I see this as a larger Android issue because all devices are like this (in my experience) regardless of manufacturer.

Battery Life: Perhaps you've heard that battery life on 4G devices is in a word awful. Like many other things your mileage will vary. If you are doing a lot of streaming media that also uses the display, count on needing to charge your device more than once a day. The 4G radio is a battery pig. Perhaps the next generation of devices will address this, but in the end you don't get something for nothing. As for my usage profile I don't make a ton of calls - maybe one or two brief calls a day. I do a moderate amount of e-mail, and I check my twitter feed throughout the day. I probably also listen to music off the SD card a minimum of 1-2 hours a day. A change will get me from 5:30 a.m. to the end of the work day, but I sometimes need a boost to get through the rest of the day. This is good enough for me as I have a charger in my car, at my desk, and next to my recliner. If you need sunup to sundown on a single charge, I would either suggest getting the extended battery or looking at the Droid Razr Maxx.

Multimedia: Honestly I would not suggest any phone as a good device for watching videos given the ubiquity of tablets, netbooks, and laptops that boast larger screens that will make the experience more enjoyable and immersive. That being said I was curious how video would look on the Rezound given its 720p capabilities. I installed Netflix and fired up an episode of Mad Men which to me is a very visual show in addition to being a great drama. The colors that I enjoy so much while watching Draper and Co. on TV are faithfully reproduced on the Rezound. This is one of the few devices that actually has a higher pixel density that the iPhone 4s (no, that is not a typo). Playback is buttery smooth with 4g speeds. I can hardly imagine the video experience being much better on a phone, but it is still a 4.3" screen. As far as output goes the Rezound lacks a micro-HDMI port but rather relies on an MHL adaptor that connects to the micro-USB port. This accessory is sold separately. This matters little to me personally, but others may find it important.

Conclusion: This is easily my favorite phone that I have ever owned. Ask anyone who knows me, and you will find that music is a *big* deal to me. I now have no need to lug around a separate mp3 player. If you are like me then you should run (don't walk) to get your hands on one of these. You won't be disappointed.
on May 10, 2012
If it worked, I would have very nice things to say about this phone. Unfortunately, it is clear that this product was released before the User Interface was ready. Here is a list of the issues I dealt with (and I know from my on-line research others have faced as well).

Mail client does not sync with my gmail account. I can get new emails on the phone for example, but what I delete will not delete on my gmail. Suddenly I can get text messages, but none I write will go out. When a caller hangs up, my screen goes dark, but I can't get it to light back up--yet it is still on. I try turning it on and off, nothing. Sometimes it will come back on after a few minutes, sometimes I have to open the back and pull out the battery and restart. Data network cannot be accessed, or is stuck in 1g or 3g. I have to reboot to fix. I lose all service. Then I turn off to fix. Then the phone power cycles, turning off and on over and over endlessly. The first time the only way to fix this was to do a hard reset and I lost everything. The next time I insisted on a new phone, but since have had all the other problems listed above.

In addition, the phone makes having a 4g network a joke. I mean, no exaggeration, the battery is good for about 2 hours using 4g... so what is the point?! this is the first 4g phone I have had, so I don't know if other phones are better at handling it. The 4g was never very snappy either. In fact, I often had problems getting consistent data connections, even when I knew I was in a good coverage area. So whether that is the phone or Verizon I cannot say. I can say I could care less about 4g based on my experience.

You can read other critiques of the phone in general reviews. I noticed a lot of Verizon sales guys were buying this phone. The stats on it read great, but in practice, this was a disappointment. The headphones are great though. Either Verizon is going to now give me a new phone or I will cancel with Verizon and go to Sprint.
on July 24, 2012
Traded in a Razr Maxx because I lost flash video support when upgrading to ICS (Ice Cream sandwich). The Rezound is one of three or so phones that is certified to play flash videos after ICS upgrade. I am all for the conversion of flash to html5 platform, but nothing happens overnight.The phone has better picture quality and the extended battery will last as long as Razor Maxx. The 4g connection also seems to be a little more stable on the Rezound. Battery life is not great with any smartphone, but the extended battery will last me all day (5:30 am to 10:00 pm) with light to moderate use. Watching the videos will drain the battery rather quickly. I am happy that I switched to the Rezound during the 14 day exchange period. It is important to me that I can access videos from websites.

Pros

will have flash support in ics, beautiful hd screen
Cons

somewhat on the thick side-especially with extended battery
on May 17, 2012
I had a Droid Incredible for 2 years and held out on buying a new phone. I waited for new options to come out as the Incredible was at the top of the line for awhile.

When I started looking at new phones it was between the Rezound, Galaxy Nexus, and the Droid RAZR.

I settled on the Rezound for a few reasons, it was the first true HD display, it's processor was faster, I was already used to HTC sense, and the battery was replacable and so was the memory.

Overall I am happy with the phone, thought it does tend to glitch on me from time to time (randomly soft reboots, phone doesnt actually turn off). I really like HTC's Sense UI and just felt the RAZR with MotoBlur was clunky, and the GNEX was nice, but felt limited.

Speed of this phone is great so no complaints there, only real complaint I have is the thickness, but it is bareable.

Overall 4.5 stars and can't wait for HTC to push Ice Cream Sandwhich to the Rezound!
on January 1, 2012
I love technology! And I was really looking forward to recieving this phone which is why I am taking a second to compose a review. I did a lot of research and saw only good/glowing reviews of this phone so I was looking forward to a long and happy romance with it.
It was quickly shipped by Amazon at a great price-149.00. Unfortunately, out of the box the 4G sim card was defective so it wouldn't activate. I took it in to Verizon corporate store (after a few phone calls to Amazon and conferenced in with Verizon tech support-both very helpful)and that allowed the phone to begin working. Even the best relationships can start off with a few bumps right?
After using it about 45 min it became noticably hot to the touch. And not because I was feeling so passionately about the camera(which I loved). Of course this was after I left the store (30 miles from my home). I also had issues with it dropping from 3G to 1G service when my husband's "dumb phone" had a steady 4 bars. This continued at home with the phone on the dresser not moving-what?? Never had service issues with my previous Droid and Droid 2 at home or around town. After digging around on Rezound formats I discovered the overheating and service drop outs are being reported by others.
With just the wireless running I could see it's lovely, crips, screen in action but it blanked out to a white screen a few times and lost wireless signal too.
This is also a known problem.
Coincidentally I also have my mother's phone (also ordered from Amazon)having the same issues with 3G to 1G or just no G service.
Amazon folks were very helpful but it's time to part company with both phones. The bloom is off the rose. I am now skeptical of the build quality and felt others might want to be on the look out for problems. After 14 days you no longer get a new phone, so dont dismiss problems. Just my thoughts as I reflect on what might have been....
on June 30, 2012
This phone was a little bit dissapointing when I first picked it up, but I have since installed the new Sense 3.6/ICS 4.0.3 ROM onto it and now it is INCREDIBLE!! I absolutely love it and am more than satisfied. At first it was sluggish and laggy with poor animations....now it is snappy and beautiful! I highly recommend this device when the OTA ICS comes out (hopefully very soon, according to the sources on the internetz). Get it while it's cheap!
on July 6, 2012
I really, really wanted to like this phone since we got it when Verizon was having a promotion and it was only $79. I just can't, though. It's not a horrible phone; the call quality is great and the audio is wonderful, and the screen is bright and vivid. But that is where it ends. The battery is HORRIBLE. My two year old Incredible still lasts me through the day with battery to spare as long as I don't use it heavily, but this phone often didn't. In the week I had it it died on me more than my Incredible has in the last 6 months. And yes, we turned off the 4G and turned down the settings, and it still didn't last. And that is without making any calls and spending maybe a half hour to an hour online. And no, it's not a defective phone; my husband also "upgraded" to the Rezound and his has the same flaws.

To be fair, we live in a rural area so the phone does have to struggle to hold the signal, I am sure in a downtown area it would be better, but the bottom line for me is that my 2 year old (original to the phone) battery, which is also in a smart phone, lasts longer. The only way to make it last as long as the Incredible is to turn the settings down so far that I can't even maintain a 3G signal at my house. Along those same lines, while the 3G is faster in town, at home the 3G on my Incredible is faster and more reliable.

All I can ask is why?? Why, HTC and Verizon, is my 2 year old phone a better phone than this? Oh sure, the graphics are better, the sound quality is better, but for actual functionality, my Incredible is the better phone. I will admit that the Rezound has a slightly stronger signal, which at a rural location is helpful, but the battery and the horrid 3G speeds (it takes several minutes to load a MOBILE webpage) outweighed any boost in signal strength. Why are you giving us only surface improvements while taking away basic functionality??

To sum up, I am sure it would be a perfectly acceptable phone in an more populated area, but being in a rural area it's flaws are readily apparent; my 2 year old phone has better battery and faster 3G. I made myself use this phone for a week to give it a chance to change my mind, but it's going back today. What does it say that my phone is 2 years old and has a smaller, less vivid screen, and I was relieved to turn it back on?

I sincerely hope Verizon and HTC are going to start producing more and better phones - this was your flagship phone for what, 8 months, and the battery doesn't last through the day? Give me a break!
on January 9, 2012
I've had the Rezound for 2 weeks now and really like it. Before Christmas, I was trying to decide between the Motorola Razr and the HTC Rezound. I was having a difficult time deciding as the two phones were similarly priced. Well, when the Rezound dropped to $149.00 (for an upgrade for an individual account), that made my decision for me. So, here is my "two cents" on what I think of the phone:

Bloatware- the amount of bloatware on this phone is appalling. I'm not sure whose fault it is, Verizon?, HTC? or both? but with the amount of bloatware this phone has and all the money someone is getting from these vendors, the phone should be FREE! The worst part is that you can't delete it even if you want to. I can't wait until the phone is completely rootable so I can delete it for good. This is my biggest complaint about the phone.

Phone Call Quality- reception and voice quality is good on my end. I'm not sure how good my voice is or isn't on the other end.

Screen- despite the HD 720p resolution, the screen is not up to par with the Super AMOLED screens which have better contrast ratios and brightness. Blacks are really more of a "dark gray." That being said however, the screen still isn't bad. Netflix movies look great on it. To be honest the screen only looks sub par when it's held right next to a Super AMOLED screen.

Size- the phone fits very comfortably in my hand and in my pocket. The back is slightly curved. The corners are rounded. It has some heft to it. So yes, while the Rezound is thicker and heavier than the Razr, in my humble opinion, the Razr is too thin, too light, and just too big overall. I found the Razr to be uncomfortable and awkward to hold. In reality, the Rezound isn't that thick, it just seems like it is in comparison to the Razr.

Battery- any 4G phone you get where you keep the Bluetooth, GPS, Wireless, e-mail push, and auto-sync on with brightness at max all the time is going to have deplorable battery life. The name of the game is Power Management now, and with all the widgets that HTC Sense has, these operations are very easy to manage. With moderate call and internet usage, I find my battery will last a solid day. However, if I'm going to stream a movie through Netflix and watch it at maximum brightness, I'll be lucky if I can get through the whole movie. The other thing the Rezound has over the Razr is that it has a removable/replacable battery. Now, don't get me wrong, while the battery technically is removable, it is not an easy or convenient task to accomplish. It's not like a battery cover just slides off and you can swap out batteries just like that. Instead, the whole back cover of the phone has to come off. Once off, the back cover does seem a little fragile. Even though taking the back cover off may not be that easy, at least you have the ability. If necessary, you can swap out batteries or install an extended run battery if you want to. True, an extended run battery is thicker and heavier and it does add size and weight to the phone, at least it is an option. There is no option for the Razr.

Sound- I enjoy listening to music, and while "Dr. Dre's Beats Headphones" are probably not the first choice of headphones I would buy, they certainly are not that bad. It's nice to finally have a decent accessory included with a phone. The nice thing is they have a built-in mic too for calls.

HTC Sense- It's one of those things that you like or you don't. I came from an Original Moto Droid that I had running Launcher Pro. Launcher Pro is similar in a lot of ways so I found the transition over very easy.

Camera- Fantastic! It takes great shots with lots of options and effects. This is the first phone camera I've seen that rivals the iPhone.

Processor- the phone is quick. Boot-up time is fast and I find very little lag. Although Verizon's 4G LTE network really has nothing to do with the phone itself, the two together make for one great combination.

Overall, I am very happy with my HTC Rezound. Even though it is loaded with bloatware, I think I definitely got a bigger bang for my buck with the Rezound when compared to the Razr.
on January 31, 2013
I used to find it difficult to truly hate a product. That changed when I got my Rezound.

The display specs look great on paper, but this phone's battery usage is HORRIFICALLY ABYSMAL. I'm part of a family plan, and compared to a Razr, an iPhone 4S, and a Droid 3,...well...there is no comparison. The rest of my family cannot begin to understand what it's like to deal with battery problems. It's not just a faulty battery - I spent $40 on an extended HTC Rezound battery and it still under performs. Half the time I plug it in to an AC outlet to charge (and I've confirmed that the phone is in AC charging mode), I get a message that the phone is using more current than what it's getting from the charge. This is blatant malarkey. You're telling me that it is not reasonable to surf Facebook while a smart phone recharges? Wow, just wow. I've done the research online. Power problems run rampant on this model. It's not worth getting a replacement phone through Verizon because 1.) the cost of replacement and 2.) it'll be the same crappy phone.

I also frequently encounter an annoying bug that happens during phone conversations. The phone will lock during the call, I hit the top button to unlock it, swipe it to unlock, and then the screen goes black again. Wash, rinse, repeat, you can't do anything on the phone including end the call until you take the battery out. The screen also goes black often while navigating phone system menus. It's better just to use a different phone if you have to make a call like that.

This phone disappoints in all areas because as great as the display might look, or as cool as the case might look, or as good as the Beatz may sound, power usage issues trump all. This one experience is so bad that I am now resolved to never buy an HTC phone again.

BUY SOMETHING ELSE. Seriously. I'm a techie, and have been professionally for a decade. Enough to know that this phone is not worth your money, even at a discounted price. I paid $70 for mine, not counting the $40 for the extended battery, and I feel like anything over $20 total would have been unfair based on the phone's performance. And don't think for a second that you might enjoy this phone with a standard battery. Add $40 to the purchase price, because that's what you'll be paying for eventually.