Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 25, 2011
This phone is really impressive.

To be put simply this phone has all of the strengths of a BlackBerry with virtually none of the past weaknesses.

These strengths are: the keyboard, the indicator light, call quality, call clarity, battery life, emails syncing faster, using less data (for those who don't know BlackBerries using RIMs proprietary network consume about 1/2 the data to do the same tasks as everything else), industrial design (this phone just feels higher quality than everything, even the iphone 4s and HTC phones, which are themselves very well made), and bbm (apple did it all wrong by integrating imessage with sms, bbm is great because its an entirely separate messaging client with true extra features, with imessage you may as well text)

The past weaknesses which have been fixed:

1. Speed--especially in navigating/launching apps this phone is hands down the fastest I've seen, and although the browser on something like the Nexus Prime is probably slightly faster this one is up there with the best and much better than BlackBerries of the past

2. Touch--the touchscreen/keyboard combo makes doing everything unbelievably easy and fast

The only reason I could see against getting this phone is if you really want a big screen. The difference in screen size between this and the iphone isn't worth thinking about but when compared to some of the big offerings with android it becomes a debate
on December 17, 2011
This is a really good phone, the touch screen is very responsive, the keyboard the best in the market, Motorola or Samsung can try to copy but they never are going to get to the blackberry's keyboard level. the speed of the phone is excellent, pages load really fast.

If you re looking for a good communication device buy this phone, but if you want a phone to play games instead of actually talking to people go with IOS or Android. I have an iPod touch when i want to play games like angry birds.

I am in family plan of 4 people and the 4 phones are blackberry bold 9900, one of the person in the plan had an iphone4 before, he love the iphone4 but he could not communicate in the way that blackberry is letting him communicate now.
on January 16, 2012
I Really enjoy using the blackberry bold 9900 especially the great keyboard thats attached to it. The design is simple yet eligent enough to bring a smile to my face every time I pick it up and use this device. I previously owned an iPhone4. I am glad I made the switch. I am happy to say that I am no longer part of the Cult of IPhone and all of the annoying freemium/micro-purchasing BS that has taken over THAT market. One issue that others people are complaining about is the short battery life that comes with the bold 9900 (same issue with the iPhone 4S). The problem persisted until a new update was made that remedied the negative battery life issue. I have updated my Bold 9900 to 7.0 bundle 2392 (v 7.0.0.576, platform 5.0.0.733). This update seems to have fixed the issue as I am still on an 80% charge at 2:44 pm today (without the update, the phones energy would drain itself overnight). I charged the phone last at 7:00 pm yesternight. My network is currently set to 4G & WiFi, and I am still retaining positive charge at a slower energy depletion rate. So the update appears to have fixed the problem. Obviously, the more I use the device (playing games or surfing the web), the more the battery is drained. As with any other device, there are methods that one can take to help preserve battery life. On top of the update, I have taken extra measures (like decreasing screen brightness) to extend the phones energy life.

Before I had the iPhone 4, I was using the blackberry bold 8900 and loved it then. Boy am I glad to be back with the new and improved Bold smart phone. I Have missed it.... excuse me while I go make out with my 9900...
on February 14, 2012
Had my AT&T Bold 9900 for about 3 months now. Upgrading from a Torch (slider).

Pros- My build quality is perfect. Keyboard is best in the industry BY FAR. I have an obsession with keyboards in general (typing on a Thinkpad now) and this keyboard is phenomenal. I love the aluminum frame ring and the thinness. Looks/feels very premium. OS7 has been working great for me. Smooth and fluid. Screen quality is excellent (285ppi). Device is fast. Excellent call quality and a speakerphone that works! I've been getting 35-40 hrs of battery life with the latest OS.

Cons- Like everybody else, I wish the camera had autofocus. That's it.

It's too bad more people don't check these devices out before buying Iphones or Androids....I've been showing friends my new phone and the response is always "wow this is nice". When I was checking devices out, salespeople would always look at my funny when I asked to see the 9900 first ("You don't want a Galaxy?")

PRO TIP- First thing to do when you get the device: plug it into the computer and upgrade to the latest OS. It will solve most freezing and battery issues.
on April 12, 2012
on July 10, 2015
I will state right in the beginning my view that Blackberries continue to be the leaders when it comes to security, data efficiency, reliability and and practicality. My company-issued Blackberry does not do games very well and I'm not using it to play movies (I prefer the 73" screen in the living room for that) but it's amazingly good when it comes to getting my email and quickly composing new messages or replying to the incoming. Also great at integrating the enterprise email with any Web email services I'm using, Bluetooth-paired devices and the phone features be they 4G or Wi-Fi.

Current Bold users should be happy and almost certainly happier with the 9930 because this is very much the 'old' Bold only sleeker, faster or, in other words... bolder. When it comes to new users, it's a crowded marketplace out there. Those who prefer great physical keyboards may want to look into this Bold because you could hardly find a better 'phone' keyboard anywhere and that includes other Blackberries. I am currently a Torch user but I've been given the opportunity to try out a couple of the newer models: this new Bold and the new Torch 9810. The Torch has a slightly larger screen but, in fairness, few phones come close to the new Bold when the factors considered are elegance, the quality of the build and, naturally, the keyboard.

First, the good things:

- IT'S STILL A BLACKBERRY - This is important to the many BB users who want their Blackberry to change only slightly from one generation to another, at least as far as the physical form and the user interface is concerned. While Blackberries evolved from the little 'wheel' to the track ball to the current touch-sensitive pad to touch screens, they are still recognizable and I bet that if a time traveler from, let's say, 2002, popped up in 2011, he/she should be able to use the 9930 in no time. All buttons are at the familiar locations and, at least when comparing it with the previous generation, the 9930 responds very much in the same way with 'touch' added if needed but never mandatory to accomplish anything. I find myself using a combination of touch, buttons and sometimes to track pad to operate it.

- IT'S SMALLER, LIGHTER - While the screen appears to be (very slightly) larger on the 9930, its bulk is significantly reduced. This model is thinner and it appears to weigh less than its predecessor. Not everyone may appreciate this in the beginning and I was one of those but I got used with the lighter device quickly and I would consider it an improvement now.

- TOUCH - Not the first Blackberry with the feature and it's not as good as iPhone's but, for what I'm using it, it's just right. The new Blackberry OS allows me to 'touch' just about anything on the screen and trigger... something. Gestures are also supported including 'pinch-zoom' in and out. And, related...

- BUTTONS - Maybe this should have been at the top of the list. This Blackberry does not force me to do everything by touching the screen. Just about everything can be done by either pushing/clicking a button and controlling the cursor with the little trackpad or by interacting directly with the screen (tap virtual buttons) or a combination. Most of the time it's 'a combination' for me and it's always the way I feel most comfortable about doing things. I appreciate the ability to use physical buttons when I want it.

- IMPROVED PICTURE QUALITY - Very much on par with what's current 'best in the business', the picture is significantly better as far as brightness and resolution. I would not use the Bold to watch movies or read books with the Kindle app but this is because I don't use Blackberries that way. I could if I wanted to. To me Blackberries are expected to do: email, voice, enterprise integration. Everything else is 'extras' - my employer wouldn't like to see me watch movies, play games or update my Facebook wall on the company 'phone'.

- BETTER KEYBOARD - Believe it or not, this Bold's keyboard is even a better design that the predecessor's. The keys are slightly larger because keys now stretch from edge thus gaining maybe an extra 1/8 of an inch to distribute among the 10 or so keys on each row. I noticed the difference immediately.

- EXTRAS - Of course, you get cameras with geolocation which I'm not likely to use a lot but it's good to know it's there, you can get video for free or subscribe to some pay services, have the ability to store various media and so on. It's good to have them but I'm not likely to spend much time with the 'extras' except maybe with the Web browser which, by the way, is very good at handling HTML5.

- IMPROVED WEB BROWSER - This is good news. The built-in browser may not be as good as, let's say, Opera but it's coming pretty close and it's a major improvement over what Blackberry used to offer. This one is, of course, touch enabled.

- Bluetooth, WI-FI - they work great and pairing with a Bluetooth device can be done literally in seconds.

In addition to the above, on the 'the same' or not necessarily 'improvements' category, I noticed no significant change as far as battery life is concerned. Hard to measure it but I would recharge it every couple of days if used for phone/email only and at least daily if a lot of web browsing or video is involved.

On the not-so-good or 'really annoying' side, I really hated the abundance of bloatware - I call it 'crapware' - that seems to have invaded the Blackberry world. There is an abundance of little pre-installed apps and services that, shortly after you click on and go to the trouble of activating them, it turns out that they are 'pay' things, ranging from Pac-Man to TV services, and it's either impossible or very difficult to remove - I didn't have the time to waste so I was able to quickly hide them but... there SO MANY of them. If RIM is listening, they should know that I do NOT love Blackberry more for turning the BB desktop into some apps and services peddling space. Blackberry's app store continues to be difficult to navigate, overpriced and quite unattractive.

When it comes to rating this new Bold, within the context of Blackberries, it's probably one of the best and I am now hesitating between this and the Torch. It's lighter, brighter, sharper, faster and provides more functionality than previous models so it's a five-star.

And, yes. The Blackberry is not an iPhone or an Android. And the reverse happens to be true: iPhones and Androids are not Blackberries. I'm using a Honeycomb tablet for personal entertainment and there is an iPad in our household but what I've been using a Blackberry for 'business' quick, efficient and reliable communications for the past 10+ years. They never let me down.
on March 25, 2015
I bought this phone advertised as used but. to my surprise it had only just been out of the box on display. I needed to upgrade from my Bold 9700 and wanted to stay with blackberry. I do not use the enterprise services because I only have ATT Go phone service with the new unlimited plan. So far, there has been nothing I can't do with the phone that I want to. That said. I am not an app guy. I actually could care less about apps save for a very few like the cool flashlight app I found for free and Google maps. Otherwise with 4g internet I can still access most everything with a beautiful but smallish touch screen that has a trackpad just below it to move the cursor around with pinpoint accuracy.
on June 14, 2012
If this were the Matrix and I were looking for the one... Neo(9900)! I must say I really love this phone and I own a Galaxy Nexus, SGS2, and an Iphones 4S! This just has what those others don't a wonderful and terrific rub my fingers over the letters feeling good physical qwerty keyboard! My goodness it just fills the void and my fingers celebrate with thumbing the keyboard joyously!!!!! I love the speed of the processor. Oh oh my battery life is just jaw dropping, I let it die the first day and now I get awesome results and I use this phone heavily...and it charges super duper fast! I mean, I can go on and on, and I have been using it for about a month now.

It fits my needs most importantly, and really that should be the main reason when purchasing any smartphone!

Seemless syncing with email, comes with DocsToGo and what I look for notification led. If you CrackBerry head go get your fix and pray it won't be your last!

Some one Save Blackberry!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 8, 2013
Now that I've had my current phone in hand for over 6 months, I can say that it does everything I need it to do. I find texting a prime function for a phone and chose the 9900 for its excellent keyboard. The voice reception and clarity is much above what I've had before - I can understand callers and they can hear me. A friend with a Blackberry Curve complained continually about her Curve in that regard.

The screen is usefully large for reading emails too. The camera is decent and better than the Samsung Galaxy SIII. Overall a good balance of functionality for my business and personal purposes. I've other avenues for web browsing. I've added a 32 GB expansion card and have easily uploaded music FLACs which playback over audiophile headphones very nicely.

Overall it is so good my teenage daughter wants one for her 17th birthday too - can there be a higher recommendation?

The downside is that the first phone I was sent had a manufacturing defect and had to be returned. The chrome edging, which gives it such a classy look and feel, was mismatched and gave a very sharp edge right where one's fingers would clasp it - very irritating literally. Amazon required that I either send them the unit before they sent another unit or that I buy a second unit, at unlocked retail, and they would credit the return once they got the defective unit back. The first option meant being without a cell phone for over a week. This was a BIG problem!

So check your unit for physical defects and return if necessary BEFORE you discard your prior phone.
on February 10, 2012
I am a long time user of Blackberry phones. I've had 3 previously & when my last one died I decided to jump to Android. That was a miserable fail. Although there are some things I miss about my Android phone, I had multiple issues with it staying connected to my car's bluetooth & when on the road for travel it had horrible GPS connection & I could never get on any alternate network. That being said, I needed a phone that I could stay connected with & the Bold is it. I can text/type so much faster with the Bold's keyboard then I ever could with my Android. Less mistakes too. I had my Android 5 months & tried all the types of texting. I know there's a learning curve, but typing/texting on it was a challenge! As for connection, this phone always stays connected to my bluetooth & the call quality is much better then my Android phone ever was. GPS, WIFI always work. I always have a connection to other networks now...even in the areas where my Android couldn't find one! I do like the touch screen & yes the screen is smaller then Android's or iPhone's but it is a bigger screen then previous Blackberries. I have not experienced any of the freezing reported by other reviewers. The battery life is not great, this is true, but it is no worse then what my Android phone was. With the bigger, higher resolution screens out on most phones all battery life sucks. I just keep a charger in my car & a charger with me at work. Not a problem. The two things I am a bit disappointed in are the camera & the app world. Truth be told, the camera is not nearly as good as the camera was in my Android. However, if I want good pictures of something I'm going to use a real camera so not a huge issue. As for the app world, I do wish Blackberry would step up & make more apps. Again, although not a huge issue for me, I would like the option of being able to customize my phone a little bit more for my needs. The 4G on this phone is fast & so is it's processor. I don't use the browser that much but I have not had any of the reported issues with it either. Over all, this is a good, solid phone & probably one of Blackberry's best. I'm quite happy I got rid of my Android & came back to a Blackberry. The only reason I gave this phone 4 stars instead of 5 is because of their app. world. When compared to the offerings of Android & iPhone, it is lacking.