Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Captivate Glide (AT&T)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 9, 2011
Finally an Android Phone with a good keyboard. I purchased this phone from the AT&T store the day it was available. It is more than I had hoped for. I saw it announced and was awaiting its release. In preparation I checked out some of the other Samsung keyboard phones for Verizon and Sprint to see what I thought but was very disappointed. The Captivate is so much better than the older keyboard sliders Samsung made for other Carriers.

Keyboard is great the slide is solid and feels like it will last. They keyboard spacing is good also. They keyboard touch and feel is well done.

The screen is perfect. It is crystal sharp and I have had no issues with its touch sensitivity.

Camera. It is an 8mp phone cammera. It is good for a quick point and shoot camera but lacks the features of a high end point and shoot camera. It compares to the other good camera phones of 5mp or higher.

Space. I am not sure how it calculates space but it does not seem to have 8gig like is advertised although I am not sure what it is counting. I stuck a 32gb card in it and have more room than I need. The Internal SD shows up as 4gb and then another 2 if you add in some protected storage.

Web browser is so much faster than my old HTC Tilt 2 Windows phone and being a true touch screen it works great.

Dual Core processor keeps everything running faster than you will notice. I have lots of games and movies and it runs fine.

Size: This is a great size. They kept it thin even with the slider and it is not so big as to be a full size tablet like the Galaxy S2 Rocketship at 4.5 inches.

Now the bad. It is from AT&T. They bloat it with worthless trial software. some of it runs so it taking up processing power even though you declined buying it. Of course there is no way to remove it. In defense of AT&T's poor practices they all do it.

Battery life. I have never had a phone I am happy with the battery life and this one is no different. At times you can almost hear the life being drained out of it. You will never get more than a days use out of it. Plan on charging it every night (and sometimes more).

Did not come with syncing to outlook. You can sync to Google but why do I want my information in Google's hands. Plenty of free synching software is available so this is not an issue.

I love the phone. It was a perfect replacement for my HTC Tilt 2 (windows mobile). If I had to do it all over again I would still buy this phone.
33 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
My first phone was a physical QWERTY Nokia 5510, and my last was a Nokia E71 (Unlocked). These phones have very well built hardware keyboards, Samsung is not entirely there yet, but this is a very well built classy looking phone.

Note: AmazonWireless was selling this as "Unlocked" which implied that it won't need a network unlock code, so I had to get it unlocked. Now I'm using it in the United Arab Emirates.

Pros
1. Slider is well built, the spring action is helpful. Hopefully it won't get loose over time.
2. The 4" screen is ideal for me, since I mostly listen to radio.
3. The slider on the USB door is very cool, keeps the dust out.
4. Beautiful back-light keyboard, very clear.
5. Fantastic value for the price.

Cons
1. Major con - No notification light. (Rooting allows touch button lights to become notification lights)
2. Major con - Android doesn't clearly indicate if caps lock or num has been engaged on the physical keyboard.
3. Minor con - No slot to attach a hand strap. (workaround: get a case)
4. Major con - Speaker should've been stereo and on the sides, for louder sound. (workaround: use apps like Volume+ or Equalizer)
5. Major con - No hardware FM radio receiver. Really useful if you're out roaming or on vacation.

Observations
1. Not Samsungs fault, but it's hard to find good quality leather covers for sliders.

Edit:
The AT&T ROM has carrier restrictions which means you can't manually toggle between 2G and 3G networks. This is not a deal breaker, but those who don't use data packages or want to conserve battery can't switch to 2G if they want to.

Even after sim unlocking you can't do network searches, other network's sim will work, but you won't be able to see a list of them. This is not an Android or Samsung limitation, since flashing with other ROMs from XDA will release you from these restrictions.

2nd Edit:
The GPS receiver on this phone keeps accurate locks on satellites, I was driving at 140 Km/hr and Google Latitude was tracking me accurately, even exiting at high speeds or traffic jams. I don't have a data package and it was switched off as well. So it wasn't getting any help from AGPS.

3rd Edit:
The SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging works really well, without any issues. This phone keeps getting better and better!

4th Edit:
If you're not happy with the battery life, try these larger capacity third party batteries:
1. 1,950mAh - Mugen Power Slim Extended-Capacity Battery for Samsung Captivate Glide i927
2. 3,600mAh - Mugen Power Extended Battery w/ Battery Cover for Samsung Captivate Glide i927
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2013
The Samsung captivate glide is by far my favorite phone. I was lucky enough to get the phone already updated with android 4.04. I prefer the physical sliding qwerty keyboard. The phone has everything I want, android, the keyboard, touchscreen, and enough internal memory so I can download whatever I want. I am very happy with it. It also has front and rear camera. If you get this phone, I don't think you will be disappointed.
on July 6, 2013
I bought it a few days ago cause it was unlocked. When it arrived to Uruguay did not work. It was not only locked but also half operative files were missing. I lost my money, thank u very much!

Well,after I wrote my rewiew Amazon contacted me and automatically refound my money and asked me to return the cell phone. I'm really pleased with their response and I'll continue shopping in Amazon! YOU ARE GREAT!
on October 2, 2013
This is an older phone, so obviously its specs don't match up with recent phone releases. That being said, for the price, it's a great purchase. The physical keyboard is a nice touch and if you're someone who doesn't need to use it, it's non intrusive and you never need slide it out. The camera is excellent and takes photos and videos that are both sharp and vibrant in colour. The battery life is average but I managed to greatly improve it by installing an app and ensuring that wifi and mobile data were off when not being used.

It came unlocked as the seller specified and with Android 2.3 installed. I had some trouble updating to Android 4.0.4 using the Samsung software (Kies) but eventually found another official tool that completed the update. The phone handles the new OS like a champ and I have not experienced any glitches or hardware issues as yet.

I definitely recommend this phone for someone who might want a phone with solid specs but isn't willing to shell out for one released more recently.
on April 18, 2013
The five stars of my review is more for the company than for the phone. I really like this phone. But I had problems with it. I wasn't sure if it was the phone or the service. It wouldn't ring or receive texts. OrderInstant allowed me to return it for an exchange or a refund. I was able to exchange for the same phone. The new one was still having issues. I performed a firmware upgrade and so far it seems to be working properly. I hope it is fixed because this phone has all the features I wanted, keyboard, 8 mp camera, wi-fi, etc. I am confident that if there is an issue OrderInstant will help me make it right.
on February 18, 2012
I've had my Samsung Captivate Glide for a little over a month now and I love it. My previous phone was an older Motorola flip phone so this phone felt large to begin with, but after using it for a couple weeks, the bigger screen is worth the extra size. The QWERTY keyboard has a nice feel and is large enough to make typing easy. Nice camera w/flash, haven't tried the camcorder yet. WiFi works great! The screen is sharp and clear and the touchscreen is really nice. The battery seems to last better than I've heard about smartphones, I usually have 1/4 to 1/2 a charge left at the end of the day.

My only (really minor) complaint: although there are lots of protective covers out there supposedly for this phone, the only one I've found that fits the phone is the dusty blue Body Glove cover sold by AT&T; the others are too "thick" and don't allow the phone to slide smoothly.
on July 10, 2013
I bought this phone for a friend as she wanted an unlocked Android phone with a QWERTY keyboard. The phone worked all right for a few weeks but stopped working after that with an error screen requesting an unlock code. I have contacted the seller three times asking for help and they haven't managed to get the phone unlocked.

I do not understand why they would sell this phone as an unlocked phone when it does not seem to be one. Very disappointed with the seller and left with an unusable phone right now.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2013
This is my first smartphone I have ever had, I purchased it in May so have had it for about half a year. I never have any problems with it, it does exactly what it is supposed to. My only real complaint with the phone is that the battery the phone came with is absolutely terrible. It was fine at first, but now my phone will be fully charged at 8 AM, and by 4 PM it will be at 15% life.

If you order this phone, please, check the battery first for the date on it and save yourself some trouble, as some sellers put a cheaper stock battery in. I ordered a new battery because of this, so hopefully this solves the problem.

The external keyboard is a great feature, but quite frankly, is something that I never use, which I thought I would but the touch screen keyboard is more convenient to me.

Pros:
Simple to use
Smaller
Does everything you would expect a smartphone to do(granted, it is an older phone, but I haven't encountered anything that I wish I had that hardware does not support, it can do anything)
Great starter smartphone, especially for the cheaper price

Cons:
Watch the battery problem and just buy a brand new one and switch between the two
Call quality can be bad at times, but this is more due to bad reception, in most cases.
Bulkier, but that is because of the external keyboard more than anything.

Would I recommend to anyone: Absolutely
on July 23, 2013
The phone is good, but the one I received was NOT unlocked. It was still locked to AT&T. You can purchase an unlock code inexpensively, however. If you purchase this phone and put a non-AT&T sim card in it and it won't work, check to make sure the phone is not locked. Other than that, it is a good product.