Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on February 25, 2012
The pictures for this product are for the 15.6" version and are NOT of the 14" version. The 14" version does not have the number pad on the keyboard. The 14" has one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port on the left side. There are no USB ports on the right side.

Overall I REALLY like this laptop. It is plenty fast, has a higher resolution display than most of its competitors, is very portable, and is well built. I am a big fan of matte laptop displays and Samsung does not disappoint on this device. I find the keyboard on this laptop to be easier to type on than most others I have tried, especially the Asus G51VX I am coming from. Unibody construction would be nice, but given the price point and the hardware this contains I can overlook it. The track pad is very large. If I'm not careful I can hit it with my left wrist while typing. I'm 6'2" and have large wrists though, it may not be an issue for everyone. This isn't a big issue for me since I typically disable the track pad and use a mouse anyways. If you're in the market for a lighter, very portable, but yet powerful laptop: I highly recommend the Series 7 14".

EDIT: Amazon has updated the photos for this product. They are now correct for the 14" version.
review image review image review image
88 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2012
From Day 1 this unit was defective. Actual rating is minus 1 star.

Samsung never had a good mouse driver so you will first have to go to their support website to download a revised driver to have a useable mouse. Check the forums on this issue.

The computer refused to do backup images and then crashed so I lost data 3 times.

I had to re-image this computer and every time I checked advanced settings it did not retain backup images. BIG PROBLEM

The unit locks up when you close the lid in standby mode

The browser frequently freezes and guess what? The CTRL ALT DEL does not work you cannot force close the program when this happens.

Finally the USB does not always work. Thought I could simply use a USB mouse but it does not detect ANY usb device half the time.

Samsung said it was a driver issue. HAH!!! This goes beyond that.. it is defective hardware.. ALL these units should be recalled and customers refunded their MONEY.

SAVE your money and save a lot of time and trouble DO NOT BUY this unit... in fact, READ the Amazon return policy before you buy any electronics...
on March 23, 2012
It's not so easy to find a light, powerful 14" laptop with an optical drive these days. This one fits the bill, although a blu-ray drive would have been a nice addition. I've been using it for about a month and am quite satisfied with its performance. I'm a photographer and this machine is my travel companion. It has enough horsepower to handle Photoshop as well as video editting software (I'm not a gamer, so can't comment on how well it performs in that space). The screen display is bright and the resolution is quite ok for my purposes. The build quality is very good. WiFi connects everytime and stays connected.

The only complaint I have, which is why 4 stars instead of 5, is with the trackpad. Typing without the cursor jumping all over is difficult, although just this morning another trackpad driver was released (the second in 1 month). After installing it, things seem better.

Overall, this laptop is an attractive, solid performer in a reasonably small package.
on October 7, 2012
I bought this laptop new in July as a college graduation present from my parents. I was incredibly happy with the laptop... at first. I was excited to be able to game (play WoW at reasonable FPS for raiding and little latency; exciting for a little machine!!!). I had to laptop for just over two months and a USB port stopped working. After an over-the-phone attempt fix to see if it was a software problem, I had to mail the laptop in. I was guaranteed repair and having it hipped back in 5-7 business days. Over 3 weeks later, I finally received my laptop from the repair center complete with a damaged inner box where the repair center dropped the laptop. (There was a box packed in a box, so it couldn't have been from shipping.) Taking the computer straight out of the box, the track pad did not work properly which was not an issue I had when I sent it in. After calling Samsung they apologized about the broken track pad and the time it took to repair, but insisted they do not quote times for repair.... Okay, fine, you had one misinformed customer service rep. The agent I was dealing with them told me I needed to return the laptop again and I would "get it back when I got it back." Apparently, according to this agent, Samsung policy is that the repair center gets three attempts to take their time and return the laptop to you and it's not until after the third time that they offer refunds or exchanges. With the help of Amazon, I ended up getting a full refund, but I would not have been able to by myself. I will *never* purchase nor recommend another Samsung product nor laptop to anyone, ever; You've been warned about their "repairs," customer support, and faulty laptop repair policy.

PS- Thank you Amazon for helping me correct the issue so I could have a college graduation laptop that brings me smiles, plenty of gaming, and isn't a Samsung.
on June 10, 2012
I have always been a fan of Samsung so when I decided I needed a new laptop they were some of the first I looked at. To be honest when I looked at a couple in the store I wasnt impressed at first, but after reading and comparing, I kept coming back to Samsung and Asus! I Finally decided on Samsung reason why is because you get more overall performance and looks! I mean there's just no doubt these series 7's are just sexy! And for me I really wanted a built in optical drive and something portable. This is a great middle ground between your big gamer laptops and the ultrabooks.

Performance is really great for the school use and moderate applications that I use it for! This should be a great laptop for most users. Very quick start ups with the on board SSD and nice screen IMO... I love matte screens! Solid constriuction, feels very well built! Battery life has also been very good getting the 5-6 hours I expected.

Now for the bad... Track pad is crap... Get a Bluetooth mouse. I find it way more convenient to use a Bluetooth mouse anyhow and would probably use one of the track pad was great, but man they really should improve this feature. It's not unusable, it just can be frustrating at times, but THIS should not be a deal breaker! Also for this laptop only weighing 4lbs it feels pretty heavy, but still very protable don't let this scare you either.

Overall I am very pleased with this laptop from Samsung. So pleased that's why I went ahead a picked up the NP700z5c with the third gen intel chip. So if your looking for a quality sexy 14 inch laptop I would recommend this one, you won't be disappointed.
on April 10, 2012
A little bigger than other ultrabooks, but alot more powerful.

PROS:
- supports 8GB RAM, this was lightest laptop that I could find supporting 8GB of RAM
- Very fast, CPU is better than most other ultrabooks
- nice resolution.. things are small, but not too small
- some newer battery technology, supposedly letting it last longer
- the backlit keyboard is very nice, and the keyboard layout is easy to type with

CONS:
- Only 2 USB, both on left side. The USB3 seems to give me issues, might be my driver.
- Battery is NOT removable (as long as the battery-life works as intended, this shouldn't be a problem).
- CD-Rom is NOT removable... i really not even need an optical drive
- Weight is a little heavy, it's not bad.. but could be a little lighter

NOTE: If you do a clean install of windows, like i did, be sure to get the WIFI drivers from the Intel website (not from Samsung). I spend hours trying to figure out way my WIFI would not stay connected in Windows 7 64. Once I installed Intel's drivers (which claim to be an older version) it worked flawlessly.

For $1K, I'm pretty happy. The only comparable light/powerful laptop that met my RAM requirements was from Sony at about $2K.
on July 4, 2013
I still have this laptop and use it everyday. The trackpad was a little jumpy when I first got it, but after downloading the trackpad software from the Samsung website, that problem was solved. I love the backlit keyboard.

The speakers are very good. The monitor is non-reflective, even more than other matte screens I have seen. It's an advantage when sitting near a sunny window. The battery is pretty good so far, though I usually have it plugged in. I set it so it doesn't charge more than 80% to make the batter last longer. Overall, I'm very pleased with this laptop.
on April 2, 2014
The mat screen is hideous. Save your money. If I ever mute the sound, I can never un-do it and turn the volume back up. It's broken after less than 3 months. The touch pad is too large and too sensitive, you will find yourself constantly hitting it and moving things by accident. Also, the touch pad goes crazy sometimes and doesn't work well when trying to use two fingers at once.
on June 4, 2012
I love this computer. It's fast, great anti-reflective screen, sturdy feeling build, wireless connectivity is flawless, lighted keyboard rocks, plus it's a great looking notebook.
(5 stars)

My only issue with this machine is the trackpad. I have the latest driver update and it is still impossible to navigate. I have given up on using it and have opted for a mouse. (0 stars)

The trackpad stinks but the computer itself is a rose....
on April 7, 2016
I personally am giving them a 5 star Review only because when we discovered that the mouse pad wasn't working or clicking at all, we returned it and received a full refund.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.