Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 104 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 161 reviews
on March 13, 2012
When you pick up the Canon G1X, your first thought will probably be "Wow-- this thing is SOLID." There is a lot of glass and high quality components stuffed inside this little package, and it all adds up to SUPER photos. This camera is a terrific addition to a photographer's arsenal. It is a perfect companion camera to have when you do not want to tote around your DSLR and all of the accessories that comes with that. But, do not think that this is a pocket-sized camera-- while it will fit into a large coat pocket, you will likely be wearing this camera around your neck when you have it out for your day of shooting.

The G1X takes incredibly good photos. It rivals my Canon 60D in that regard. Its low-light sensitivity is top notch for a camera this size, due mainly to the fact that the sensor is nearly as large as the 1.6 crop sensors in many consumer/prosumer DSLRs. I get great photos at ISO 1600, and usable photos all the way up to ISO 6400. (Note that if you shoot RAW, then you will not get as great photos until you apply noise reduction in your software of choice.)

This camera also supports full 1080P digital recording, although I have not yet had a chance to put that through its paces, so I cannot yet comment on the quality and ease of use. However, from the little that I have done, it seems very good. You can record at different aspect ratios (e.g. 16x9), you can zoom while recording, and the camera has a built-in "wind" noise filter.

In addition to the standard set of "creative modes" (portrait, landscape, kids & pets, sports, night, beach, underwater, foliage, snow, fireworks, face-detect) that come with digital cameras these days, the G1X also has numerous digital affects built in such as HDR, miniature, toy camera, fish eye, nostalgic, among others. Additionally, the G1X can also be operated 100% automatically or 100% manually, or somewhere in between, allowing you to shoot in (P)rogram mode, Av, Tv, and M. In my opinion, the camera performs best when you take over most of the decision making. Like most cameras, this camera does not do its best work in 100% Automatic mode.

The knocks on this camera, and the reason it does not get 5 stars from me, are its sluggish auto focus, its poor view finder, and its relatively high price. While the auto-focus is a bit slow, I think it compares reasonably to other compact cameras in this price range, especially if you do use a creative mode so the camera "knows" what to look for in your scene. However, if you want to spend a bit more, you can still get superior performance from something like the Fuji X100. The optical view finder is nearly useless-- you cannot see what the camera is focusing on and the lens obstructs the lower left-hand corner of the view, even when not zoomed. For these reasons, I quickly abandoned using it altogether. Another knock would be the Macro capabilities of the G1X, or lack thereof. While there is a Macro shooting mode, the minimum focusing distance required does not allow you to get anything near Macro images. As far as the price is concerned, the quality warrants the price, but the shortcomings take away from the perceived value. The same camera at $599 would be a no-brainer. Fix the auto-focus speed, viewfinder, and macro ability and charge the $799 and it is also a no-brainer. As it is, you will have to decide if the features warrant the price for yourself.

If you are deciding whether or not to purchase the G1X or a DSLR, I would opt for a DSLR unless your #1 concern is size. The DSLR will offer much more customization that the G1X. However, if you are looking for a camera that allows you to leave your DSLR at home, but still gives you fantastic photos and allows you full control, then this camera may be exactly what you are looking for.
1515 comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 6, 2013
Ah, the much-maligned Canon PowerShot G1 X!

If you're already a PowerShot G series user and understand this line of cameras, you probably suspect the issues that you read about are moot points. And for most photographers, you would be right. It is a point-and-shoot compact with ample manual control and RAW capability. It takes stunning photographs with a minimum of fuss. It's what I've been wishing for since the birth of digital photography. Excellent image quality in a portable, all-in-one package. What's not to like?

For years I've used PowerShot G series cameras as SLR backups because they had RAW capability, plenty of manual control, and portability. They were not without their limitations, though. And those limitations were frustrating. Namely, those associated with a small sensor--high ISO noise, noise reduction smearing and narrow dynamic range. This camera more than addresses those issues. Dynamic range is improved. High ISO image noise is well controlled without noticeable loss of detail. I don't find its performance significantly slower than my G12. It DOES work in low light--and the pictures are beautiful. Clean and usable through ISO 3200 (and, hey, 6400 is actually pretty decent). Image quality in some ways is better than my EOS 60D. And the resolution is great enough to allow some cropping without noticeable loss of quality.

Others have already said it, but it bears repeating. (And repeating.) It's unfair to compare this camera with compact system (mirrorless and four-thirds) cameras, DSLRs or any other camera for that matter because it stands alone in its class. It isn't a CSC, and it isn't a DSLR. It's a solidly built, all-in-one point-and-shoot compact with a big sensor and a fixed lens that zooms. In short, a maverick camera. Granted, it's not for everyone, but for photographers who use care composing their images or just like always having a camera handy--one that takes truly excellent pictures--this is it. Enough cannot be said about the quality of images through ISO 3200. Or the gorgeous, high-resolution vari-angle LCD. Or its creative capabilities.

I can put the G1 X in my purse or hang it around my neck and carry it without discomfort. And no fiddling with an array of lenses and gadgets. Because the lens retracts a good way into the body when the camera is powered off, it is fairly compact to carry. Compact for what it is--a large sensor camera with with a 28-112mm zoom lens, a built-in flash, an external flash hot shoe, optical viewfinder and a high-resolution, 3" vari-angle LCD. It will fit in a coat pocket, no problem. (But you WOULD look and feel kinda funny with it in a pants pocket.)

I added a CowboyStudio ALC-G1 X Camera Auto Lens Cap Cover, so removing and replacing the lens cap is not necessary, and it works very well.

If you're already familiar with Canon's G cameras, there's only a small learning curve. More like a blip than a curve. Mostly it's remembering to use macro mode for close subjects. This swiftly becomes an automatic motion. That's about it. In some ways the controls are simpler to use than the G12's. For my style of shooting, minimum focus distance is its only drawback, and with the Canon 250D 58mm Close-up Lens, this camera takes incredibly good macro pictures with beautiful bokeh.

For someone who's not familiar with the G series, there's some ground to cover for manual controls, but the good news is that the camera has several very useful scene modes where the camera makes the decisions for you, and JPEGS straight from the camera are colorful, sharp and accurately exposed. It is equally suited to the hands of novice and seasoned shooter alike.

In Review mode, there's a slight lag when you press the button before you can see the image--the G12 is faster in that regard. In shooting mode, shot-to-shot time is slower by a fraction of a second. Shutter lag--yes, a little, but not that noticeable if you're accustomed to the performance of this camera series through the G12 model. (Can't say anything about the G15 because I've never used one.) Autofocus is actually quite fast, but it takes the camera a little time to register. Go ahead and snap the shutter. You can trust it. It has already locked focus before the camera tells you so--and it's pretty darned accurate.

Although I don't often use video mode, when I do, I like the ability to zoom in and out while recording, something new to the G series. And I appreciate true HD video. The file format doesn't eat up huge chunks of computer memory, either, and videos are more easily shared than with previous G model cameras.

Battery life is short. Really short. If you take a lot of pictures or videos in a day, it's a good idea to have at least a couple of spares charged and on hand.

And the camera is too expensive. Period. A lot of cameras are. I understand that cost of production makes it so, but it is still too expensive. I couldn't afford one at its price point until I found a good deal on a "used, like new" copy.

I keep it in a clever camera bag that doubles as a small purse. In addition to my usual purse stuff (ID, credit cards, insurance cards, lipstick, hairbrush, etc), there's room for a couple of extra batteries and the Canon 250D filter for true macro shooting.

This one goes everywhere with me. My 60D goes with me on special occasions. Those don't happen often. Life happens every day. And with the G1 X, I got it covered. In beautiful, professional quality images!
on August 19, 2016
I was fortunate six months ago to get a "like new" used one for $250. I have two DSLR lenses for which I paid $500 each. Prints less than 16x20 inches will barely show the difference. I am remembering the camera came from maybe Adorama. It came in three layers of bubble wrap and did not have even a fingerprint. However, it did not work properly. I was ready to send it back until I found the reset to default settings. After that things were fine. Someone must have set some stuff, got frustrated and returned it, I don't know. I generally agree with the positive and objective reviews. I have DSLR and lens combinations that will take better (sharper) photos when enlarged, but I mostly keep them in my little studio or only take them out when I am getting paid. Get the good book specific to this camera written by a photographer, a polarizer, a leather case and go take photos. I have Canon, Nikon and Pentax which are all good. None will work for an idiot.
on January 2, 2016
The large sensor in a small camera body makes this a stand-out camera. I would have to say that this represents and excellent value as a used camera and if you are aware of the trade-offs, this camera will deliver high quality images for you day in and day out. You cannot focus in tight and do macro shots, that is a major limitation for a lot of folks, but the image quality is stellar and pretty much equal tot he quality you get with a DSLR.
The build quality is pretty incredible and stands out as a solid camera that can withstand many years of use in the field. Low light performance is excellent given the fact that the sensor is almost as large as an APS C sensor. If you can obtain a lightly used G1X under $250.00, you cannot go wrong as this will deliver the DSLR level quality in a P&S form factor. All other features put it on a equal footing feature-wise (more or less) with the other Canon Powershot G15 and G16 cameras. The dynamic range, image quality and low light performance will be superior due to the the large sensor and quality zoom lens built into this camera.
on April 3, 2013
This is a wonderful compact camera when it is used within its limits. I bought it to carry with me when I didn't want to carry my D3S or D800, like when I am out bicycling or hiking in the back country, or just to have with me when a DSLR is too bulky or inconvenient to carry.

This camera has the issues you will have read in other reviews, like it does focus slowly, especially when using the pop-up flash. The focus range is narrow, the "macro" stinks. But what it does do and does VERY well is take some amazing images!

I have owned a Nikon P7000 & P7100, and those are wonderful cameras with ALL of the features that others compain that the G1X lacks, but where the G1X shines above them is the image quality and much better higher ISO due to its large sensor. So with the G1X I can handhold shots inside and use a faster shutter speed than I could with another camera and get the shot!

Like I said, my main reason for buying this camera was to use it for outdoor/landscape photography, and this is where this camera REALLY shines above. Not only does it have a (close) APS-C sized sensor, Canon put its TOP glass in the lens, so the images are crisp and sharp!

This camera is not for everyone, but for those that want great images from a compact, then this is the one to buy.
on October 8, 2013
Not going to get too deep into this but here is my experience...yes, the autofocus is annoying sometimes...sometimes it works flawless, alot of times it has issues...the constant re-focusing is unbearable at times...don't know why it acts that way but it does...but when it works, it takes some very, very good pictures...some of the pictures rival my DSLR pictures perfectly...sometimes, they look better...but if you consider the size and the funcitonality, this is actually a really good camera...if you are expecting point-and-shoot performance, you are looking at the wrong camera...this camera is meant to be manipulated in ways that only people who have experience using the manual settings on their SLR's do...if you are stuck in Auto all the time, prepare to be disappointed...otherwise, you will love this camera...you have to know the situations where this camera will excel...your kid's football game is not one of them (unless you are taking a team photo), but landscapes, potraits and studio-type work will give you amazing results...I carry it in my car all the time just in case...I wouldn't carry my DSLR that way but this is very suitable for exactly those moments when you say 'man, I wish I had brought my camera'...and have it be a really good camera...just buy a collapsible monopod for it and your pics and movies will be better than if you use it handheld but that can be said about pretty much any camera...if the next version has better auto-focus, it will definitely get 5 stars...
on January 22, 2015
The biggest selling point of this camera is that it has the same size sensor as DSLRs like the Rebel line, so you get the same optical quality in a smaller camera.However, the camera is still too large for my tastes. I prefer the size of the G and S series as something to carry around all the time when traveling, etc. I also don't like that this has a lens caps that dangles on a string instead of automatic shutters as the G and S series. The camera itself is great, with fully manual controls and the images are amazing.
on July 31, 2013
I purchased this camera for a month-long trip to France, specifically Normandy and then the French canals, where I did not want to lug my Nikon gear. I researched all the options and available choices, including Leica, but decided the larger format sensor of the G1X (and its image quality) was worth more to me than the features of other cameras, such as longer zoom or full macro capability or lightning fast focus.
I was not disappointed. The camera is compact, takes great images, and the detail and colors are quite wonderful and acceptable for a semi-retired pro photojournalist used to Nikon full DSLR equipment. I transferred the images each night to my iPad using the small Apple iPad Camera Connection device and could see the rich detail and colors of my images in a larger screen while enjoying a glass of Sancerre rose.
I won't use or recommend a digital camera without a viewfinder for all of the obvious reasons. Framing an image holding a camera at arm's length is so iffy and ridiculously absurd. The G1X never let me down as long as I did not expect great macro ability, the battery lasted way beyond my daily needs, and the combination of the iPad, connector, and camera provided me a full digital imaging system in a small package. Great set up for traveling without the heavy photo gear bag.
I did not ever feel the need for a second battery, the 32GB SD card was way overkill given that I transferred images to my iPad and iCloud then deleted the images from the card every day. The image quality is sufficient for even professional use. I intend to use this camera to supplement my regular gear when I am shooting articles that don't require the full tripod, multiple flash and other demands of my D2X equipment.
Very happy with this camera, rugged and weather resistant in normal use, and with more features than I used. Just ordered the aftermarket lens cap to replace the Canon lens one that dangles on its cord...a bit of a distraction and I hope this pop-up lens cap eliminates the need for that standard cap.
Having compared the Fuji, Leica, Pentax, Olympus, Nikon, Samsung, and all the others (and their various sensor sizes), I feel this is a solidly capable camera that will deliver high quality images in a rugged body with acceptable lens range. It is a keeper.

Postscript: I just received the aftermarket accessory EZFoto Auto Lens Cap I ordered for this camera from Amazon, which replaces the snap-on cap that is on a cord that comes with the camera. As noted in many of the product reviews of this accessory lens cap, it fits too loosely and will easily fall off as is.
However, I put a strip of decorative plastic tape along the inner surface of the cover (slightly reducing its inner diameter that fits onto the camera) and now it fits nice and snug...no way will it fall off. It took maybe two minutes, so I recommend this as an accessory for the camera. Beats the standard lens cap affair hands down.
on April 25, 2013
he Canon G1X is the newest professional level compact camera from Canon. The G1X offers many features normally found on the larger DSLR's in a much smaller package. The G1X however is probably not the best choice for the photography beginner due to its complexity and price point.

I decided to update my review of the G1X to incorporate what I've learned about it over the last 10 months. This was originally written when I had stepped up from a G12 and before the G15 (which is closer to a G12) was introduced later.

The Canon G1X had an original retail price of $799 placing it closer to the price tags of the entry level DSLRs than to your normal point-and-shoot camera. Amazon currently is running it for $549 and it has been as low as $499 on sale. Used models can be picked up usually starting at around $450.

Canon has a great video on their website which describes the G1X in detail and also the mindset of the engineers and designers responsible for it.

Some hand's on observations include:

1) The lens is a lot nicer and it basically replicates a EF 28-115mm dSLR (no you can't change the lens) with full-time (turn-off able) power IS which works in video or still mode.

The CMOS sensor size means the lens is really a 15.1mm to 60.4mm with a 1.9x crop-factor (compared to a 1.6x on the 7D) or a 4.6x on the G12 with it's 6.1mm lens. This is a big improvement.

There is an adapter available to use 58mm standard filters. However, you cannot use the filters and the optional screw on "tulip-style" lenshood at the same time. Later I bought a lenscover that retracts similar to the G12/G15. However, using this precludes using the 58mm filters. A CP filter comes in handy.

2) Max aperature is up to F/22 from F/8 on the G12 due to that bigger lens.
Minimum is a variable F2.8 to 5.8 which makes it the same as a stock lens. I wish they could get the minimum down more, but it is decent in low light.

3) The camera feels "better built" meaning it feels solid. it is not a typical point and shoot that you will be putting in a normal pocket though. It is quite bulky

4) There is a hot shoe and it is compatible Speedlites 270EX and higher. With a 430EX mounted it is very top heavy. However, you can use a ETTL cord for off-camera flash. They also offer a flash bracket to move the flash position to the left of the camera. It does not have full ETTL functionality.

5) The in-camera flash now pops up (from behind the Canon logo) and when it is retracted is off.

6) The ISO dial is gone from the top of the camera (it is now up arrow on the back) and the exposure compensation dial is now under the settings. The exposure compensation dial now goes -3 to 3 and you can immediately see the impact on the LCD.
ISO range is 100-12,100. Auto ISO is adjustable but the max auto is 1600 (I turn mine down to 800 usually). It is not very strong at higher ISO ratings. Of course, I am spoiled to the low light capabilities of the 5D Mark III now. But it is also not a professional level DSLR.

7) It shoots RAW (one of the reasons for getting a G-series in the first place) and you can shoot jpeg+RAW and change aspect ratios on the jpeg shots such as my favorite 1:1 "Photosquared" shots.

8) 14.3MP is nice and allows you to easily crop in on shots and still have good detail.

9) I do not do much video yet, but you can start filming with the push of a button from any mode on the camera instead of having to go to film mode. Built in stereo microphones (and wind filter function) but no way to hook in an external mic (that is a shame)

10) Max exposure time is 1 minute but there is still no "bulb" setting for night-time shooting.
Here is also a link to the full specifications on the G1X

The G1X fits a niche for DSLR owners looking for something smaller to carry with them as a day-to-day or travel camera. While it does not replace the flexibility of the DSLR with their inter-changable lenses and L-series glass, it is a great "back-up" camera and/or everyday camera.

Many of the shots that I share on Google+ and Facebook are taken with the G1X.

See some more shots at [...]
on October 18, 2014
I specifically chose this over the Mk II version, as some rocket scientist in the Canon planning department decided that the screen didn't need to swivel in BOTH axis. They must not ever shoot verticals. I use this for alpine landscapes on occasionally demanding mufti day hikes, where the weight & bulk of almost any DSLR is prohibitive. This camera makes serious photography under demanding conditions possible. The only option might be one of the newer Olympus m43 DSLR's with the new pancake lens, but that would set me back at least $1K, and would also have a crippled one axis tilting screen.

Image quality is more than good enough. Be advised that unlike other G series Canons, this one has no macro capability at all. That doesn't matter to me. The lens isn't terribly fast, but I'm always using a compact tripod, so that doesn't matter to me either. The useless optical viewfinder is well documented (77% view? Seriously?), but with a swiveling screen, who cares? I almost immediately lost the silly proprietary lens cap, but since I have a UV filter mounted all the time, once again that doesn't matter. Get an extra filter adapter for a polarizer, and you're good to go, with bayonet mounting filters as an added convenience.