Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 9, 2012
I have been trying to justify the expense of another electronic gadget ever since the I pad came out. I love my iPhone but couldn't see why I should pay for what is basically an oversized iPhone WITHOUT A PHONE. I have been looking at other tablets and was not impressed because they were slow and I could still use'my phone for what the pads would do. In the back of my mind I knew I should wait until Acer had a couple of models on the market because I have used an Acer laptop for several years and have never had a problem with it.
Then I saw the review for this Iconia A200 written by Androidaholic. I decided to bite the bullet and jump into the tablet realm.
My beautiful new tablet arrived yesterday afternoon. I plugged it in and was charged completely in 53 minutes. This thing is fast easy to set up and really amazing. I am not a Techno wiz at all; that is why I like my iPhone. What really irritated me about the I pad was no flash player and Apples obsessive control over what you may put on YOUR DEVICE AFTER YOU PAY THEM TOO MUCH MONEY FOR THEIR PRODUCT. I could live with it on the phone but not on a tablet.
This Iconia is as fast as any I pad I have seen and I know I will enjoy it as much as my Acer laptop. Acer is undervalued in the US because they do not waste money on advertising. They invest in their product and keep giving great value for money. Yes this review was written on my sweet new tablet. I do not think you can go wrong with this tablet.

******************
It is now March 29 and I have used this tablet daily. NO problems, very fast, still quite pleased. I use this for web browsing, ebook reading, social networking, basically everthing that I don't want to sit at my desktop for. No complaints at all. I still think this little jewel is one of the best "value for money" items I have ever purchased.
on June 17, 2012
I chose Acer brand because they've served us well...so I didn't look at other tablets other than the comparisons on Consumer Reports. They had rated the A200 at 74...best being 85 (I think)and all they had to say about it was pretty positive. I read every one of the reviews here before I bought mine...thinking I might have trouble also, getting it to turn back on...I find it takes nine to twelve seconds to get it started...like a reset on MP3 players or my Nook. I wonder if people who have had this trouble are holding in on the button long enough? Like all our Acer products, it found our WiFi immediately and has worked flawlessly...the battery life is fantastic. I've had a learning curve because apps are a new thing ... I don't have a smart phone and have never downloaded an app until now. I'm in my 70's and getting along with it just fine, thank you...
on February 23, 2012
Purchased my A200 about a week ago. It was tough to find locally and it appears as though Android tablets in general are hard to find...quantities are very low right now. I ended up checking with about 10 different local electronics chains and office supply type stores until I finally found someone that had just received 2 in.

While not the cheapest nor the best peforming tablet on the market, I really think this is a winner in the value category. While I am typically a latest and greatest type person when it comes to electronics/computers, I really just didn't see the need to drop another $150+ on a high end tablet. I'll use mine mostly for Internet access, some gaming, email, Netflix, etc. With the exception of the more advanced games, a dual core versus a new quad core just isn't going to make much of a difference if at all and even right now on the gaming side, I don't think there is a whole lot that will take advantage of quad core chips. If I do want to do some photo and/or video editing, I will break out my much more powerful laptop. I really think buyers need to evaluate their true needs when it comes to buying these.

One of the first things I did once I got connected via wifi, was to do the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich and I definitely wasn't disappointed. It is a beautiful OS that seems to run quite well on the A200. Transitions run well and smooth, and only until I enabled live wallpaper did I see any lag to speak of when moving from one home screen to another. Even then it wasn't an issue for me and frankly a quad core may not make a difference.

While this tablet isn't the thinnest nor the lightest, it is still in the same ballpark and frankly I really appreciate a little extra heft and thickness since I have larger hands. The textured back feels nice in my hands and not as slippery as an iPad and overall it just feels very solid and robust to me. I think it will hold up quite well...I'm very impressed for a $350 device.

To summarize, here are the pros and cons as I see it:
Pros:
Value, value, value - can't beat it for $350 for a 10", with ICS and level of quality
Ice Cream Sandwich...yummy yummy ice cream :)
Solid design
Great screen resolution - better than iPad 1 and 2. Screen is sharp and very bright even at lower brightness settings. Default is around 40% and I see no need to go higher.
Colors are vibrant and seem to be accurate and text is clear...looks better than my 17" Dell laptop and wife's Lenovo screens
Full sized USB - used with USB sticks and it worked great for transferring files and photos. I haven't tried any other accessories yet, but wondering if a USB game pad would work??? Doubt it but would be great if it did.
Micro SD card slot - I plugged in a 16 gig from an old blackberry and it was able to read the photos and music I had on it. Astro file manager is included with ICS and works well for moving files around.
Battery life is great...the first night I had it, I had it off of the charger for 5 hours straight (4:58 to be exact) playing games, surfing, and installing apps and it still reported 52% battery life left...very impressive!

Cons:
Current lack of accessories
Lack of rear camera - really a non issue for me as I don't anticipate using the camera anyhow. My Android phone has an 8 mega-pixel camera already and I have a mid-range Canon DSLR that I take if I anticipate shooting photos.
Sometimes when bringing up my browser, the A200 will tell me it doesn't have an Internet connection. I refresh and all is good. Not sure if this is an ICS issue or an issue with hardware but likely ICS.
Sound levels are little on the low side although I don't have any other tablets that I can compare to. It's certainly acceptable. I did download an equalizer program but I started hearing a weird crackling sound through the speakers so I uninstalled and all is well again. I may try a different program but so far a non-issue.
Stupid built-in Android browser defaults to mobile sites, not full. This is an Android built-in browser issue though (seriously why don't they fix this for Tablets). The normal work arounds didn't do anything...debug mode and browser check box for full sites didn't work. My workaround was to install Boat browser which seems to work well for displaying full sites.
Big con, is that my wife initially thought I wasn't smart buying yet another gadget, but now that she has tried it, I can't get it away from her. Same thing with 4 year old son...he thinks it's his now (istorybook is awesome app for kids BTW).

In summary, evaluate your needs for a tablet. If this is a back up device and you already have a PC/laptop/Mac for more processor intensive apps and you want/need a device for surfing, portability, easy of use, game playing and don't need a rear camera or 3/4G connectivity this is a wonderful device for a wonderful price. I love it!
22 comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2012
I have had this tablet since January 12th. I saw some in the cage when I was about to purchase a Sony S tablet and told the girl that I wanted it. I was afraid they may not sell it to me since it was not supposed to be released until the 15th but they did. I have thoroughly researched and tested all of the available tablets at Best Buy which include the I-Pad 2, Galaxy Tab, Motorola Xoom, Ausus Transformer, Transformer Prime, Sony S, Toshiba Thrive and the Motorola Xoom Family edition.

I must say that I wish the Prime did not have all of the issues that it has especially the wi-fi signal dropping while bluetooth is connected. I tested two different floor models of the Prime and was able to replicate intermittent signal drops of the wi-fi signal. Proof of this was not only evident in the signal icon but also while watching you tube videos. At one of the stores I even switched from a wi-fi router to an AT&T mobile hotspot. Even though I was pulling over 20 mb download the videos would constantly buffer. The Galaxy Tab seemed very tempting but I did notice some lag with the 10.1 and 8.9 as well compared to the Acer A200 especially when trying to type on them but also in some transitions. I blame the Samsung overlay of touchwiz for this. I also noticed that the whites did not look as pure when compared to the A200. These things along with the lack of ports and the known issues of the oil slick screen defect problems many are having deterred me from the 10.1 tab.

Moving on, the Sony S was also a tempting tablet for me but I have read about some of them having wi-fi issues and also about them shutting off no matter what you set the screen off setting to. Ironically, both of the Sony units I tested had the screen shut down issue which was very annoying. The Toshiba Thrive was worth a good look but It to me is not to aesthetically appealing and one of the units did a random reboot while I was testing it so I dismissed it after careful consideration.The Thrive and the reboot issue is a known issue that I am not sure if Toshiba has a solution for. Both of the Motorola units were alright but I never really considered either one to much because I know that they have inferior screens and I am not to interested in a tablet with kids apps built in as the family edition has. I wanted to like the original Transformer also but in a side by side screen comparison The Acer A-200's screen just looked a lot better as the Transformers screen would not get as bright and had a blue tint to it's whites. Then there is the good old I-Pad 2 which I did take the time to test and it is a nice piece of hardware with a good screen. The problem is it does not have an operating system that suits a tablet well in my opinion. It is boring with no widgets and customization like Honeycomb and a locked down Apple ecosystem. NO Thanks !

Well that leaves the Acer A-200 which I have had since mid January. In my opinion it is the best looking Tablet out right now. I can also tell you that it is very well built and well optimized on the software side. I had the Acer A-500 before I returned and got this one and both of the Acer's seemed a bit snappier than the others. I returned the A-500 because the screen looked to washed out when I was in some browsing situations. Some people have been complaining about the sound on the A-200 on the Best Buy review section but all you have to do if you are not happy with it is download a free app from the Android market called Equalizer by Smart android apps and you can make it sound however you want. It gets plenty loud after adjusting the EQ and if you buy the Key you can save presets for different situations like you tube or music. I have been very pleased with my A-200 and have not had any issues with it accept that I noticed the mic seemed a bit low when trying to do speech to text but not while using the voice recorder. I have read about some people saying that it is low on skype also but I do not use it for that so I do not know exactly how it performs with that but I would say maybe try a different app like Fring or something. If you can live without a rear camera and HDMI out then I would highly recommend the Acer A-200 because for $300.00 I think it is the best deal out there right now. It does have a full size usb port that I can confirm works with a PS3 controller and a logitech pc game controller as well as an old ps2 logitech keyboard I had lying around. I also have been using a microsoft mouse that I have as a spare and it works flawlessly. Other than that it has a headphone jack, Micro sd card slot and a proprietary power jack and this thing charges in an hour and a half tops. I would say just buy it if you do not think you want a quad core or feel like waiting for one that does not have the issues of the prime. For $300.00 you can not go wrong with this outstanding piece of electronic technology. It really is an awesome looking tablet and it feels great holding it with the rubberized backing and smooth curves ! Oh yea it has the best Wi-Fi reception out of the three Android phones and the two other 7" Android tablets that I have. None of them can get reception out in my driveway by the carport but the A-200 does. It also locked on to 7 satellites with stand alone GPS outside where my A-500 could only get three ! My other devices are the HTC EVo 4g LTE, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Epic 4g (wifes), Nook Color and the Huawei S7 tablet. Thanks for reading and I hope you all found this review informative!

Update! It is almost 6 months Later and I have updated my review! Changed the price from $350.00 to $300.00 and added my two new phones the Evo 4g LTE and the Galaxy S3 and Gave my Epic 4g to my wife. A whole slew of new tablets have come out and yes some of them are definately better than the A200. Galaxy Note $500.00, Galaxy Tab2 $400.00, Ausus Transformer Prime TF700T $500.00,Ausus TF300T $350.00 Acer A510 $420.00, Acer A700 $430.00 the Toshiba Exite 10.1 $370-$400, Toshiba Excite 10.1 LE $400.00 to $435.00and the New Sony Experia 10.1 $399.00 to name a few.

All of these with the exception of the Galaxy Tab 2 and the Toshiba Excite are Quad Core and all of the Quad cores with the exception of the Galaxy Note 10.1 have the Tegra 3. I Have not tested all of these but I can tell you that the Galaxy Note 10.1 with the Samsung Exynos is the best Processor and the Transformer prime TF700T and the Acer A700 have the best screens.It is also worth noting that the Galaxy Tab 2 and the Toshiba Excite LE have the Ti Omap 4430 dual core 1.2 ghz processor and that processor is not necessarily better than the Tegra 2. I have actually read a review about the original Galaxy Tab with the Tegra 2 and the new one with the Ti Omap 4430 and they said that the Tegra 2 actually outperformed the Omap in some areas. I have also read consumer reviews about people complaining about Tablets with the Omap Lagging. Amazon also has a Toshiba Excite listed with a pxa270 processor saying that it is a TI Omap clocked at 1.2ghz. The pxa270 is a marvel processor clocked at 520mhz. Marvel bought it from Intel years ago and the Toshiba website does not have anything like that so it is either a typo or worse a knock off I would suspect. I really do not think Toshiba would put a Marvel processor in one of there Tablets as they are found in the cheap chinese Android Tablets.

I have now tried out the Galaxy Tab 2, Galaxy Note 10.1 the Toshiba exite Le 10.1 and the Ausus Tf300T. I really liked the Galaxy Tab 2 and it is getting pretty good reviews about on par with the Acer A200 which by the way still rates really high with consumers on Best Buy and Amazon. The Acer A200 is on par with the Galaxy Tab 2, Ausus TF300T and better than the Toshiba Excite any model if you look at the review ratings. In my testing with HD videos the Tegra 2 in the A200 handled them better I noticed some hesitation with the Omap 4430 in movement especially on the Toshiba excite. Playback was smoother on the Acer A200 with the same You Tube HD video. The Excite and the Galaxy Tab 2 screens may have a higher PPI which could be one reason. They are both good chips with the Omap having dual channel memory with a lower clock speed on the ram and also a lower clock speed on the GPU which could also contribute to slightly lower performance than the Tegra in certain areas and video being one of them . The Omap will slighlty out perform the Tegras CPU but is known to be harder on your battery. I liked the Tf300T and the Tegra 3 worked great with the video playback It just felt very flimsy and bent really easily.

So with all of these new tablets on the market and new ones coming out all of the time. One thing has not changed and that is that the Acer A200 is still one of if not the best values in a 10 inch tablet. Now If you have $500 dollars to spend the Galaxy Note 10.1 is an outstanding tablet. The Ausus TF700T is also getting good reviews but is also $500.00. I had a person comment on the Lenevo Thinkpad which is now $320 at Best Buy for the Tegra 2 version but I have read about it having a lot of shortfalls in reviews. Lenevo has a lot of new models out now that do not have to many consumer reviews. Lenevo is not as mainstream when it comes to tablets as other Brands. If you want a good 10 inch tablet that won't break the bank the A200 is still a great buy and I seriously doubt you would be dissapointed with it. It responds and transitions very quickly through screens and into the app drawer and such. It is a very high quality device and a great deal at $300.00 !
review image
5150+ comments| 554 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2013
I purchase this tablet Feb. 2012. The tablet has worked all fine and great until just recently. When I say recently I mean 2 weeks after the 1 years warranty expired. It also seems many other users/customer are experiencing the same problem. The problem is the screen or digitizer goes crazy, and it appears the glue used to hold it down isnt good enough, like at the bottom edge. the screen becomes un usable.. apps opening on their own, cant press keys or letters on keyboard. as with other users its same symptoms along the bottom edge of screen is problem. press there slightly and apps will open close etc etc. I contacted Acer support, no recalls, no known defects known of this type..support rep, said my warranty expired, and basically SOL. So I paid for this tabled 350$ used it maybe 6 times when traveling over past year now it is junk. Unacceptable!! Contacted Acer support again requested to speak with level 2 support. Finally they admitted that this is a known problem and would repair the tablet at no cost to me and even though its passed out of warranty.
on October 24, 2012
Received my Acer today....very happy with it. I am a couch surfer, a casual user. Absolutely no reason to spend $500 or $400 when my basic needs can be met with a $300 device.
The display is perfectly fine to my unprofessional eyes...I'm sure if you placed an Asus Transformer next to it I would notice the difference, but I'm not testing devices for a living. The screen is a first-rate LCD 1280...l don't watch movies or play games on mobile devices...no reason to buy a Kindle Fire 8.9 inch when I can get a 10 inch for the same money. I have a first generation Fire for reading in my bedroom at night...used to pop it in my purse going out to the coffee shop, but will take my Acer instead so I'm not going up and down the stairs. Did download the Kindle app so all my books are there if I want to read. Email was snap to set up. Downloaded Opera, Dolphin, and Chrome....Firefox didn't handle videos well. I too downloaded a speaker booster app, plugged in a small external speaker that sits on the coffee table, problem solved. Love ICS.
My needs are simple and a higher priced tablet would have been overkill. The reviews did say for the money this is a great tablet and they are right...so glad I did not shell out the extra bucks.
FYI: I have the screen brightness all the way down...I mean completely at zero and it is still plenty bright and clear. I did order an anti glare screen protector, that may help...I am sensitive to glare.
Downloaded flash player, can listen to HOS. Had this device abt a week now...my laptop is gathering dust. Just love it. If you get a lemon, don't give up, send it back and try another.
on September 13, 2012
I have to say I absolutely love this tablet!! This is my third tablet, I have had a Pandigital and a Le Pan and out of all three this tablet is far superior to the others. It is so easy to use and the graphics are fantastic. I did a lot of research before buying this and I have to say I am thoroughly pleased that I bought this. I am a very avid reader and I love reading books on this, what I also love is that I am not limited on books I can get. Although I do use it for other things, I do mainly use it for reading. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for an ereader or a tablet, I would buy this over the Ipad in a heartbeat!! The expandable memory is awesome for recording movies and taking along camping, or to sporting events to keep my kids entertained. The videos play without problems and graphically are really clear and the battery life is amazing!!! So if you are looking for a very affordable, durable, wonderful tablet, this is it. I have never left a review on either of the other tablets that I had, but couldn't wait to on this. I bought the Metallic Red and absolutely love it, plus it matches my favorite colleges' colors. I hope this helps if anyone is condsidering buying an Acer, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
on October 8, 2012
The Acer Iconia Tab (A200 model) is a solid re-imagining of the earlier A500 line. With an improved screen quality, lighter weight in design and sensible good looks, this tablet will look good in your hands and perform solidly all-around for a "cheaper" high-end tablet.

This tablet is retailing new for around $320-350 dollars in most "Big-Box" stores, but can be had for a pittance online, either used or refurbished. You can potentially get a 16GB Iconia tablet for less than 200 dollars, making it a better deal than even the Nexus 7.

And while that tablet is the latest "hot-stuff" tablet, take a look at what you're getting in comparison to an Iconia Tab; a much smaller screen and only 8GB of storage unless you spend $250 on a 16GB pro model. NO mini-SD expansion either.

But the Acer Iconia Tab has that mini SD slot for expansion. The Tegra 2 dual-core graphics chip screams in most games, pumping out console-quality graphics with silky smooth framerates. Sure it isn't Tegra 3 quad-core, but consider the following: not many games really take advantage of quad-core processing yet and a dual-core Nvidia GPU is pretty much gonna run like 97% of any app flawlessly anyway.

The screen, while not IPS quality, is still pretty darn good considering all aspects. It's a Gorilla Glass display, meaning that breaking the glass surface won't be as easy as sneezing at it wrong. Viewing angles are actually IPS level believe it or not; theres like virtually 360 degree visibility on this thing. Some reviews say that brightness is bad on this device, but let me tell you that they're kinda wrong. I haven't needed to crank up the brightness more than 50% at all. Fifty percent brightness, and the device is plenty visible. The only time you might need to max it out is outside in the sun; but who's honestly gonna use a tablet in those rugged conditions? If you're using a tab outside, it's most likely gonna be under some kind of shade, IMO.

And the build quality impressed me. A rubber back that feels good to hold seems to be reinforced with some industrial strength hardened plastic. It should absorb shock extremely well. What I'm saying is this thing feels built to last and take some roughhousing, which is more than I can say for the Samsung Galaxy Tab or Nexus 7.

Overall, I had tested this tablet out before I bought it, and I'm even MORE impressed now that I own it. It's technically a low-end 10 inch tablet, but with the latest ICS update, this thing runs like a dream. The only negatives I can think of is the lack of IPS smoothness to the screen quality, no HDMI output or no back camera. No back camera isn't all that big a deal, a gimmick at best. You wanna take quality pics on the cheap, buy a 90 dollar Canon Powershot or something. HDMI out on a 10.1 inch screen is kinda redundant anyways. A 10 inch screen is gonna be fine at the distance you'd hold it from your face, and LED tv/monitors have internet capabilities built-in nowadays. No need to hook a tab up to a TV for most things (showing off pics to family one of the legit reasons) anymore.

So I give this lil tablet, the Acer Iconia Tab A200 4.5 out of 5 stars. It's a honestly fun and pleasurable device to use. Turn up the screen sensitivity to High and enjoy one of the top 3 Android tablets available today, I think. Thanks for reading this review.
on August 18, 2013
After researching several 10' tablets I decided on the Acer Iconia A200 based on it being priced within my budget. Let me first say that this tablet albeit on the heavy side, feels very strong & sturdy in the hands & has a nice rubber back casing for easy gripping. The battery life is decent & comparable with other tablets i've used, often going all day with moderate to constant use without dying, ofcourse this depends heavily on the type of activity you're engaging in how many processes you currently have running.

One feature that definitely stood out to me is the full scale USB 2.0 port on the side, i've gotten alot of usage out of it plugging in my USB gaming controller & playing all of my old roms. This is a feature that's not native to most tablets & is most certainly a welcomed asset.

The front facing camera is decent but not the best (Who buys a tablet for the camera anyway!?) & it lacks a rear-facing camera; again, not a big deal.

The screen display is crisp with decent viewing angles & the touch response is good aswell. I haven't had any problems with loading & or lagging since owning this tablet

Overall this is a great tablet for the price & I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 10' within a budget, you won't go wrong with the A200.
on August 15, 2012
we have an iPad and a Kindle fire, so we're not new to tablets. But we wanted a larger Android (for the apps) tablet that had a camera and microphone and could do Skype. We received the tablet in a timely manner and for the most part it worked well. The resolution on the camera leaves a lot to be desired, but we knew it was only a 2MP camera. Some other negatives are that it has too many ways to access programs and can get confusing, not enough documentation and no manual to give you thorough instructions on working it. It took a while to learn how to get around it. Finally, the worse is the wifi connection is very poor. I don't have a problem with the Kindle or the iPad getting and staying connected to the wifi at home. I can go to my patio and get online with them. But with the A200 I have to be very close to the router to get a decent wifi signal. This was the biggest let down. I attempted to contact the manufacturer and I could not get a live person. All I was able to get was a forum where I found others that had the same issue. I was extremely dissapointed. Amazon support is great. Apple's support via email is good too. But, for the Acer is was frustrating to get anyone to help. So, I had to return it.