on August 30, 2012
I would first like to state all the apple fanboys on here shouldn't sway you from buying this phone, anyone who compares Android to Apple in a product review is going to pick about such little things. Face it, android is a lot more customizable, and some are frightened.

The Droid Razr Maxx, is by far the greatest phone I have owned.
It is future proof because of the extremely large battery, which you cannot dislike.
The screen itself is exceptional, and people are comparing it to iPhones why? We all know the apple business model, make it look pretty and people will pay a crapload for it.
It's extremely fast, and when you arent having firmware issues, I don't see how somebody can complain. I was lucky enough to (so far) have a almost bug free ICS. Which has fixed past issues.

So if you want a phone with a great screen, greater battery, typical android customization, and dual core speed, you should stick with this one .
on August 17, 2012
Bought the Razr Maxx from Amazon in April, 2012. I expect the battery life is good, but charge it every night by habit so have never seen less than 60%. Phone calls are clear and reliable.

I have had some issues with the phone:
1. Three times now it has locked up with soft and hard resets (power plus volume and other buttons) not sufficient to reboot. The trick seems to be to wait at least an hour and then try resets. Twice I've had to restore to factory settings and then re-install apps, etc. One of those times Verizon took me through an arcane series of holding buttons trying to reach a boot loader menu. Even that took several tries.
2. The default naming for internal and external flash memory is too similar.
3. I do not receive software updates pushed from Verizon. When I check manually I have to be on 3G to check, then activate WiFi to download. Installing the ICS (4.0) update required restoring factory defaults. Not sure how much of this is the phone hardware and how much Motorola/Verizon.
4. ICS feels much slower than earlier versions. Especially when trying to enter the security unlock code.
on August 8, 2012
Two of the hottest phones on the market right now are the Droid Razr Maxx and the Galaxy S3. Recently my wife purchased the Galaxy S3 and I purchased the Razr Maxx. We have been informally comparing features and performance and arguing about whose phone is better. Of course the 3300 mAh battery lets the Razr Maxx easily beat the Galaxy S3 in time between charges. I had to agree that the Galaxy S3 has a more "modern" look to it.

We discovered last night that the Razr Maxx seems to win in the Wi-Fi connective contest. We were both at a minor league baseball game using the free Wi-Fi connection that the ballpark provides. We were sitting side-by-side, but the Galaxy S3's Wi-Fi connection kept disconnecting. The Razr Maxx held on to the Wi-Fi connection all night without a problem.

We were pretty far from the Wi-Fi access point because the signal strength was quite weak. Both phones had been fully charged in the morning and were both above 50% charged at the time.

This is only one data point and your results may vary, but if Wi-Fi connectivity is important to you, in my experience the Razr Maxx does a better job with Wi-Fi than the Galaxy S3.
on August 5, 2012
I don't think any phone is perfect, but this one is darn good.

I've had it now for about 3 months and I'd be hard pressed to give you a real complaint about it. First, that battery life... fantastic. It *was* better before Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) was installed, but supposedly a fix for this will be coming out sometime in August. Even with that minor glitch, the battery lasts a long time, and I've never gotten it below 15% in a whole day without deliberate effort (lots of voice calls, Angry Birds, GPS and Bluetooth.)

21 hours of talk time? Get real! But I do talk on it often enough and without worrying about it running out of power. Charge overnight and then take it with you in the morning.. still going strong at night.

Angry Birds and the wireless hotspot are the only things that really seems to put a strain on the power. I've even played hours of music at a time.

I do use JuiceDefender, which is fine, but I was getting great battery life even without it.

Camera takes solid pictures, though nothing replaces a true dedicated digital camera. But it'll do what's needed.

Touch screen is responsive 99.9% of the time, with the occasional hiccup. Everything runs fast and quickly with no lag.

Now Ice Cream Sandwich, the update DEFINITELY improves voice dictation and settings are laid out nicer. But with Motorola's skin on Gingerbread anyway you can't tell.

Yup, there's bloatware on this thing, but it doesn't appear to get in the way. Plenty of space for Apps, Photos, Video and Music with plenty left over.

I find the up/down volume keys a pain to use, and the SIM door occasionally pops open. Yeah, those are the major complaints, and honestly... they aren't really big complaints.

I've dropped the phone exactly once and with ZERO consequence.
on July 23, 2012
I love this phone, the battery life is even better than its supposed to. My only problem is that whenever i am playing a game, the screen gets really hot. it also happens when i use mobile hotspot. so far the heated screen hasn't caused any problems other than being kind of annoying. the battery life is amazing, i tested it out, and got almost 40 hours on it. I can't believe how thin and light this phone is for having such a large battery. i recommend using the Smart Actions app, it really helps you not go over the data limit.
on June 20, 2012
I've had this phone for about a week. The phone itself is great. Much more responsive than the Droid Pro it replaced. Was concerned about giving up the physical keyboard but the virtual keyboard provides good tactile feedback. Just takes a little getting used to it. I was very concerned about not having a swappable battery. The Droid Pro wouldn't last the full business day on a charge and it would only last hours if you used the WiFi hotspot. You had to carry a spare battery to get thru the day. The Razr Maxx is great for battery life. It's still at 60% charge at the end of the day. The hotspot doesn't drain the battery nearly as quickly. I can still get thru the day using the hotspot for several hours.

The only negative seems to be the battery meter itself. At 40% drained, it has barely moved at looks to be at 80-90%. If you go to the battery level in settings you see its at 60%. A free app on the home screen solves the issue for me.
on May 30, 2012
I am enjoying this phone except for two problems. The first is when you take a video with the front facing camera, and then you play it, it plays upside down. My second complaint is, I am unable to Skype with it. I have it configured just like my computer and I can only get voice - no video, sometimes neither. If anyone has a solution to these two problems - please post either here or on Verizon. PS: Other than these problems, I am really enjoying the phone. As others have said - battery life is great - colors are good. Only time will tell how it holds up.
on May 22, 2012
I've had this phone for about 4 months now (upgraded from a Blackberry Tour), and I must say, the functionality is incredible. Let's start off with some of the basic concerns:

Battery: Never had an issue with battery life. I'm a rather "light" to "medium" user, but I've participated in 3-hour phone calls for work and other high-demand applications with no problems. Standby life is extraordinary - unplugged it from the charger at 9 a.m. one Saturday but didn't use it at all. Went to bed at midnight, and the battery was at 87%. Has a built-in Task Manager app so you can see which applications are draining your battery. Also includes "Smart Actions" that monitors battery life and makes adjustments accordingly (e.g., by dimming the display screen).

Connectivity & call quality: I live in a rural area (3G coverage only), but have never been without service and never dropped a call (on my Blackberry and other devices, it would drop calls along roads that ventured into "dead zones" within the county). I haven't had that issue since upgrading. When I go to town, it automatically connects to 4G service, and when it detects a wifi signal (either from my own home network or public wifi), it also connects. Call volume and clarity, both ear and speaker, are excellent; I've never had issues with others not being able to understand me, even while outside on windy days.

GUI: Love the customizable 5 home screens - the apps I use most frequently are only a couple swipes away (no hunting through menus to find your music player or an email). You can have a home screen dedicated to music, one for social networking, one for pics & videos, and one for (of course) the telephone and contacts.

Touch screen: Upgrading from the QWERTY keyboard on the Blackberry, I was skeptical about the touch screen (big, beefy "guy" fingers). I honestly have had no issue with it. It is very responsive, and I have no issues selecting icons. Besides, for every app that requires text entry (email, web search, text, etc.), it has a voice command feature. Additionally, the screen is very bright and vivid, even at the lowest brightness setting. A word of warning -- DO NOT use a privacy screen with this phone!!! Privacy screens make the display very dim, especially while outside (and forget it if you're wearing sunglasses). The dim display will compell you to turn your display brightness to maximum to see through the privacy screen. This can cause screen burn-in, and you'll notice ghostly images of your home screen icons forever.

Operating system: I've read a few reviews about crashes & freezing, but this hasn't been a problem for me. I try to remember to shut the phone down weekly (you have to treat the phone like a computer & can't leave it on ALL the time!)... I've had a couple instances of the system locking up, but after a force reboot (hold power button & down volume button for 5 seconds), the system restarts just fine. Both internal data and SD data can be accessed easily via the My Files app on the phone or via Windows Explorer. I use the phone as an external hard drive for work... except the phone connects to my desktop quicker than my external hard drive... There is also a Motocast app so I can access any file (music, pic, video, Microsoft Office, etc.)that is on my PC via the phone (as long as the PC is on & has an internet connection). I can also print a document or email from the phone to my home printer (or work printer once set up).

Camera: Photos taken outside are incredible. Indoor photos not so much. My primary complaint with the camera is there is no way (that I've discovered) to change image resolution. That photo you took to put on FaceBook winds up being 2 megabytes. Indoor photos can be grainy and out of focus. I have not experimented with the front-facing camera yet...

Apps: Countless free apps available out there for the things not already on the phone. It's just a matter of finding the app that works best for you. For example, there are two music player apps preloaded on the phone, but I prefer the functionality of a third party music app. Several GPS apps (Goodbye, Garmin!), Social Localization, You Tube, Kindle & Google Books preinstalled, etc. etc. etc. And for every app that's already on the phone, there are two or three alternatives available from the Play store (you're not stuck using Verizon Navigator, Verizon Videos, Vcast ringtones, etc.).

Strength: Unit feels solid and robust; I've dropped it a couple of times, but there's not even a scratch on it. The battery compartment is sealed, so you don't have to worry about the phone flying one way and the battery going the other if you drop it. The display glass feels very firm and does not deflect - pushing on some touch screens, the screen tends to yield under finger pressure and you can see pixel discoloration where your finger is. The screen on the Razr does not do this and seems to say, "Your finger ain't got nothing on my screen." After 4 months, aside from my fingerprints, the phone still looks brand new.

In summary, this is a very powerful phone that exceeded my expectations and meets most of my needs (it can start my car, but it won't wash it for me...) I'm discovering more functionality and features every day, even after 4 months. The screen burn-in and camera quality are my only complaints, but they don't come close to eclipsing the other qualities of the device.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2012
Battery life has been the Achilles Heel of smart phones.With my previous phones, I had to carry my charger wherever I went. With my Incredible, I even carried a spare battery AND an external backup battery- in addition to the charger. Having an extended battery often meant having an awkward bulky hump on the back as well as a severe weight penalty. But Motorola has gotten it right with this one. The phone is still very slim and only slightly heaver than the standard razr, yet has battery life that truly lasts all day. In the first few days with it, I turned everything on and left it that way all day- Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS- something I never would have done with previous phones. I enabled all of my apps to update as often as they see fit. I even chose an active wallpaper. I have spent many hours installing apps, pulling music down to the phone via Subsonic, Watching YouTube videos, configuring the home screens, reading a couple of chapters of a book on the Kindle app, streaming music via Bluetooth to my stereo- pretty much the better part of a Saturday using the heck out of the phone without ever plugging it in. The battery was only just above 50% by the time I went to bed. Most of the use I just outlined would have required me to have the Incredible plugged in the whole time.

Overall, I am very happy with the rest of the capabilities of this phone. It is fast and has quite a bit of internal storage, however I'm not sure I like how the storage is partitioned. The "sdcard" you see in the file system is actually a partition within the internal memory (about 8GB). The sdcard slot you can load shows up as sdcard-ext. Not many apps can map data to this, so that 32GB class 10 card I just bought won't do much for me except hold pictures and music. All of the application storage - and apps that you move to the "sdcard" will actually remain internal. That class 10 I just paid a premium for won't actually do much to boost phone performance, since I am stuck with whatever speed memory is built in. But when I look over the sdcard of my previous phone, the majority of my sdcard utilization was actually music and video, so maybe that 8gb storage limitation won't be that big of a deal.

My only other complaint might be the fact that it is still so thin as to make it slightly uncomfortable to hold. But the good news is that when in a case, it is just about right. I went with the Seidio Active case (Seidio BD2-HK3MTRMK-BK ACTIVE Combo with Metal Kickstand for Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Retail Packaging - Black) with the holster. The last Seidio case I had was the first case I've had to outlast the phone. The Active case on the Razr makes the phone very comfortable to hold, adds lots of protection, and has a fold out kickstand on the back. An added bonus is that instead of having a cutout for the power and volume buttons, Sedio built it into the rubber of the inner case- so you actually have an easier to locate rubber button over the actual button, which works very well.

Until more phones have batteries on par with the MAXX, I can't see having chosen any other phone - even if some others boast more pixel count (I'm dubious about the necessity of HD resolutions on such a small screen- especially if all that resolution requires more processing power and more battery usage). Sure you can get extended batteries for other phones, but this one beats most others on thickness and weight in stock form. It is well worth the price premium in my opinion.

Now, if we could just speed up the LTE roll out in my area...
on May 6, 2012
This phone has set a new standard for me. I do not have to charge it every day, more like every other day or less. I will never be able to go back to the phone that needs to be charged daily. Prior to this had Galaxy Nexus that I had to sell due to horrible Samsung quality.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations