Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 8, 2012
Two of the hottest phones on the market right now are the Droid Razr Maxx and the Galaxy S3. Recently my wife purchased the Galaxy S3 and I purchased the Razr Maxx. We have been informally comparing features and performance and arguing about whose phone is better. Of course the 3300 mAh battery lets the Razr Maxx easily beat the Galaxy S3 in time between charges. I had to agree that the Galaxy S3 has a more "modern" look to it.

We discovered last night that the Razr Maxx seems to win in the Wi-Fi connective contest. We were both at a minor league baseball game using the free Wi-Fi connection that the ballpark provides. We were sitting side-by-side, but the Galaxy S3's Wi-Fi connection kept disconnecting. The Razr Maxx held on to the Wi-Fi connection all night without a problem.

We were pretty far from the Wi-Fi access point because the signal strength was quite weak. Both phones had been fully charged in the morning and were both above 50% charged at the time.

This is only one data point and your results may vary, but if Wi-Fi connectivity is important to you, in my experience the Razr Maxx does a better job with Wi-Fi than the Galaxy S3.
on April 20, 2012
This is by far the best phone I have ever used and I have used several. I upgraded from the D2 which I was very happy with and never had any problems with (I had rooted it and tinkered with the settings a lot and still didn't have any problems). My wife has had the Incredible, which all 4 of them were not so incredible and then switched to the Fascinate which is even worse. I have used Iphones, D1, Dx and X2 and even the regular razr. I am completely impressed with the Maxx and with Motorola. I can see that people have had issues with them but to date they are the only company that I haven't bought a bad product from.

I am a moderate user and usually charge every second or third day with no problems. I was a little concerned that it would feel too big in my pocket but it doesn't. I hardly notice it. I was also a little concerned about not having the sliding keyboard and strongly considered the D4 but the battery on the Maxx convinced me. It is big enough that I can actually type on the screen if I have to but with swype built in there is not need for the slide out keyboards anymore. The smart actions, while I really only use them at night to silence and save battery can be very useful to a power user or people that are changing settings all the time. If you are looking for a phone to use as a camera this probably isn't for you. That is the only downside that I have discovered. It is good enough for me and the few pictures that I take but there are better ones.

I can't recommend this phone enough. I like to tinker with all my other devices (rooting, themes, roms) but I don't see myself changing anything anytime soon. Unfortunately I was unable to persuade my Mom into this phone, she went to the dark side (Iphone) but I'm sure she will be back after living in the walled garden for a while. Get this phone. You won't be disappointed.
on October 25, 2014
This phone is terrible. It's so slow and always freezing up the way an old computer would. It doesn't like most apps and takes forever to load pages. The signal and WiFi is also terrible
on September 20, 2012
After lot of research before buying my smart phone, I finally decided to go with Razr MAXX as it has more battery life. I bought it Mar 2012, i am happy with phone over all. But if you are in market for a smart phone and Camera quality is a deal breaker for you, STOP reading further and move on to different smart phone. This thing has a terrible camera, photos come out grainy and if you are indoors forget about the photo. When i bought i knew camera wasn't great but i thought Motorola would provide a software update to provide fix it but they never did. After using it for a while and after upgrading to Android ICS my motocast app (which is provided by Motorola to access the computers you configure from phone) stopped working. I tired looking into various forums and looks like no one had solution except to reset to Factory settings... Kidding me!! After using it for 6months who the hell want to reset to factory settings and go through the hassle of restoring everything back. So i approached Motorola Customer Support, we had chain of emails back and forth trying to resolve and finally they could not resolve and closed my case stating forwarding request to advance support team and no one ever got back to me. Now i know why people love Apple. Again i love Android OS.
on January 8, 2013
I'm 60 years old and finally made the jump to getting a smartphone. If you have good basic computer skills you can have a great time with this phone. I've had mine for about 6 months now and at times I do indeed wonder why I waited so long to get a smartphone. I consider this phone to be very high quality and extremely durable. About 3 months after I got it, I fell while hiking. It was a hard enough fall that it cracked the screen (it was in my pocket screen out). Had the phone not been in my pocket, I probably would have a broken hip instead of a bruise. Long story short, the phone still worked! I shipped it into Motorola and they replaced the screen and sent it back within 10 days. I'm more careful now and have a good case to protect the phone. We are friends for life now. The sound quality is excellent and the camera is pretty good for snapshots. The Android apps will change your life! And let's face it, the world is moving to smartphones with or without us.
on May 5, 2012
I have owned the Droid Razr Maxx for two weeks now. I have owned it long enough to know that I love it. I owned an iPhone 4 for more than a year. Prior to getting the phone, I had owned an old standard phone without Internet. When one of my co-workers first showed me the iPhone and what it could do, I could not believe it and I went out and purchased one the next day without even investigating other phones. When I first got it, I loved it. It was amazing, almost like having a computer in your pocket. I was in love with the phone. Then, over time, as I started using the phone more to go to various websites, I realized that many websites that I was going to had blank spots where there were supposed to be pictures, or the sites did not work at all. I just assumed that it was not possible to view these sites on a smart phone. I thought it was a limitation of the technology. Then when some of my students would show me their smart phones, I noticed that they were able to view the same websites that I was not. I wondered why that was, and what was in common between all those phones that could view those websites was that they were not iPhones. I came to realize that Apple does not allow flash player on their iPhones, or their iPads for that matter. This upset me quite a bit. I read Steve Jobs' explanation in a long letter that he posted online. It seems to me that he simply had a fight with Adobe, who makes the flash player, and therefore refuses to allow it on the phones or iPads. He says in the letter that flash player makes the phones crash and so on, but the moral to this story is that I did get an Android phone a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that the phone has not crashed a single time. It is VERY nice to be able to browse the Internet unhindered and view pretty much whatever site you want to view, without blank pages or blank spots showing up on the page. Consumers should be told prior to purchasing the iPhone that they do not allow flash player and thus you will not be able to see a significant number of sites that you would be able to view on other phones. The Android experience has been much more like a true computer/internet experience. Some other frustrating things about the iPhone are that you cannot open, edit, or create Word files, again because it is an Apple phone and they will not permit you use the Microsoft product. On my Droid phone, I am able to open, create and edit Word and Excel files, then easily send them as attachments to emails. Most other phones also have a MUCH larger screen than the iPhone. The iPhone's screen is so small that it is quite difficult to maneuver around, and trying to type on the incredibly small keyboard is very haphazard and often results in typos. Then to add insult to injury, the auto correct feature on the iPhone is terrible, just awful really. I had many times sent texts out that the auto correct feature changed a word that I had typed correctly, corrected to the wrong word, and made me look stupid. So I would quickly re-type the word and send it again, thinking that I had corrected the mistake, only to find out that it did not correct it at all and it again corrected to the wrong word, again making me look stupid, and I would try again with the same result. No joke, the auto correct feature and the keyboard are SO BAD on the iPhone that this sometimes went on 5 times as I would fight the auto correct feature to get the right word to go out in my text, with 4 idiotic versions going out in a row. We would of course make a joke out of it, but it is just so stupid. It does not have to be like this and the Droid Razr Maxx that I purchased does not have this problem at all. In fact, it has never auto-corrected a word to the wrong word and better yet, it helps you to find the correct word by giving you about 10 options of possibilities that you can click on. This helps you to send out better texts that make you look smart, not stupid. In addition, the Android phone that I have allows you to print out directly from the phone to your printer at home wirelessly, without need to buy one of Apple's printers. I splurged for a Droid Razr Maxx due to the improved battery on top of everything else that I talked about. The Droid Razr Maxx has an incredible battery that can go at least one day without ever having to recharge. I also love using the FREE Google Maps Navigator as a GPS. It has turn by turn instructions with satellite view, current traffic updates, and estimated time of arrival, and all for free. This free application is better than the GPS in my car. The traffic is more up to date and the satellite view and estimated time of arrival are incredible. The ONLY negative I have found about the phone is that it is a bit large, which can make it slightly difficult for someone with small hands to use one hand to browse. But the large size is also what makes the browsing experience so much better. I could tell MANY other things about what the Droid phone can do that the iPhone can't but this would go on forever. I would highly recommend the Droid Razr Maxx if you have the money, otherwise the Droid Razr would be an excellent choice as well. The Droid Razr Maxx is ranked number 1 by Consumer Reports and the Droid Razr is ranked number 2. I am very happy that I purchased a Droid Razr Maxx.
on August 21, 2014
This phone absolutely sucks. Sucks. I've had it for less than 6 months and both of the cameras stopped working speakers stopped working and it wouldn't charge anymore. It became very slow and started to lag. Took it in and Verizon "fixed it" but the next day had the same problen as before. Lastly it shuts off on its own. Just today it powered off without me touching it 4 times within an hour. DO NOT GET THIS PHONE!
on September 28, 2012
Bought a Galaxy Nexus first but burned through a fully charged battery in less than a day (~4- hours of use) and kept dropping calls in first week of use on Verizon's usually excellent network. So turned it in and exchanged it for the Razr Maxx. What a GREAT decision. This phone holds a charge all day long (8+ hours) with heavy use. With light use while studing for an exam, I timed it and it lasted 74 HOURS before recharging! ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!! NO!!!!!!! That is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH! Never even heard of a smartphone lasting 2 days, let alone 3! And my previous 2 smartphones I added extended batteries to them but none lasted this long. I suspect Motorola has optimized the software with the imbedded extended battery for primo extended use. Have owned this phone for a few months now and have not regreted it at all. Love it.
on June 19, 2012
I've had this phone for about a week. The phone itself is great. Much more responsive than the Droid Pro it replaced. Was concerned about giving up the physical keyboard but the virtual keyboard provides good tactile feedback. Just takes a little getting used to it. I was very concerned about not having a swappable battery. The Droid Pro wouldn't last the full business day on a charge and it would only last hours if you used the WiFi hotspot. You had to carry a spare battery to get thru the day. The Razr Maxx is great for battery life. It's still at 60% charge at the end of the day. The hotspot doesn't drain the battery nearly as quickly. I can still get thru the day using the hotspot for several hours.

The only negative seems to be the battery meter itself. At 40% drained, it has barely moved at looks to be at 80-90%. If you go to the battery level in settings you see its at 60%. A free app on the home screen solves the issue for me.
on August 7, 2015
I have been a Motorola user for a good many years. When my trusty DROID Razr HD recently fell and cracked, I wanted to replace it with another device that comes with external SD storage, just like the one I had. Motorola (now owned by Lenovo) does not offer this feature in its current lineup, so I found this VZW version on eBay, brand new, with original packaging. I made sure to bring it unopened to my local VZ store for activation. Although I've updated the underlying Android software many times, I asked the tech to download the latest Android OS and it failed numerous times. I subsequently contacted Motorola and was informed that the embedded software version 4.1.2 will not be updated. I believe this is the underlying cause of the frequent app crashes I am encountering. As apps get updated, over time the underlying phone operating system cannot keep up, rendering the smartphone apps essentially useless. So be forewarned: If you buy the Droid Razr Maxx XT912, even fresh out of the box, you will encounter buggy and unstable experiences with Facebook and other mobile apps.