on May 29, 2012
Just finished the official OS update of ICS(Ice Cream Sandwich)for those not in the know.
The install went smoothly and so far I like it. There are plenty of in-depth reviews for those really interested.

I like my reviews short and sweet. So to the point, this phone is awesome. I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Fascinate and the setup couldn't have been easier. I charged the phone (70% delivered) and signed in to my google account and I'm basically done. Ok time for the key points.

1. Battery life is fantastic. Beats all other phones out there for now. Over 35-40+ hours between charges with 20% left.
2. Signal strength excellent. I'm able to text and make calls in areas of my house and office that I couldn't do before.
3. Still thin and looks good in OEM Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX Shell Combo.
4. Smart Action really works to save battery power.
5. Screen doesn't disappoint but camera is nothing to write home about.
6. Actually the phone doesn't feel much bigger than my Galaxy.
7. 4G is faster than my home DSL. LOL

Well that's my short review. You will not be disappointed purchasing a Razr Maxx.
on May 15, 2012
I choose this phone, along with a Razr for my wife, after much research. The lack of ICS and NFC gave me pause, but with ICS coming and NFC still not ready in the US, I was happy choosing this. Tough and durable, this should easily last me 2 years. The Kevlar back has a nice feel and the whole phone feels solid and ready for years of normal use.

The Razr Maxx is an almost perfect smartphone. It replaced my HD2 so I was used to the size. The 4.3" AMOLED screen is beautiful and covered with Gorilla Glass. The dual core 1.2ghz processor is unstoppable. Expandable storage to 32gb. I wish the battery was removable so as to allow for easier re-boots if Android hangs, but I'll trade the fantastic battery life for having a sealed battery.

The battery life is as good as the reviews say. I think the Razr Maxx's 3300 mAh battery is stronger than some tablet batteries. I leave the LTE on, as well as Wi-Fi and usually Bluetooth. All day. I have one of several Live Wallpapers running too. All day. I've gotten the battery down to 20% by day's end once or twice, but that was after heavy use. Not needing to charge during the day and still using the phone to its fullest capacity is really nice.

The 8mb camera is useful and mostly eliminates the need for a dedicated camera. HD video capture is pretty good and more than adequate for normal life events.

My Razr Maxx, along with Google Maps, makes for a great GPS in my car. If I purchase the Razr Maxx vehicle dock, I would have greater functionality. I have an older GPS device that I put on a shelf next to my old digital camera.

Smart Actions is a useful tool. This is a simple set of instructions that can be used like a macro. You set up trigger events and which will then execute the actions you've pre-determined for a given event. For example, when my Maxx logs onto my home Wi-Fi Smart Actions automatically shuts down cellular data, adjusts the screen brightness upward and extends the screen blackout timer. It changes my settings back when it logs off my home Wi-Fi, automatically.

The 4G LTE speeds are amazing. I've tested it in various locations and the D/L speeds range from 6MBs to 12MBs. My cable modem is usually 3MBs. Upload is fast too. I ran the speed test in my local T-Mobile store and the clerks were amazed and jealous that T-Mobile doesn't offer any smartphones as powerful or as fast. Then I explained MotoCast to them. They understood why I left T-Mobile after 9.5 years.

MotoCast is Motorola's s/w that enables a connection between my Razr Maxx and my computer...all the time and from anywhere. I've got 10 years of data in Outlook but I didn't have to abandon Outlook to use my Razr Maxx, unlike Windows Phone 7 forces home users to do. I plugged the cable in and MotoCast copied my contacts from Outlook onto my phone in about a minute. MotoCast syncs contacts regularly and Google calendar syncs with Outlook. Even though syncing my Razr Maxx is a little bit more involved than with my HD2, I've got amazing features that Windows Phone 7 and iPhone users won't soon have, if ever.

MotoCast is nothing like a cloud drive because MotoCast does not force me to choose a few GB of media or data to upload onto a 3rd party "Cloud-drive". I have well over 5gb of songs and way more than that in videos. I have full "cloud" access to everything on my computer, without depending on 3rd party servers or shuffling files between a cloud drive and my computer. Real life example: My wife and I were out driving and she wanted to listen to a particular artist. I simply used MotoCast to access my home computer and played the desired album in our car. Without worrying if I had it on my phone or a 3rd party cloud-drive. MotoCast will also upload new pictures and captured video to my home computer. My only concern with MotoCast is that Google will somehow mess it up when they finish buying Motorola Mobility.

The ecosystem of devices available to me was a big factor too. I've got the HD Dock and this allows my phone to act as an alarm clock while charging. I can play all the music I own, output HDMI video to my HDTV using the mini-HDMI port. My phone can use the HDMI connection to my TV to become a small netbook-type computer using Webtop. My Razr Maxx acts like a touchpad mouse to control a cursor on the TV screen. Firefox and other apps are available. I can buy a laptop-type of dock that comes with its own screen and ports. The combination of Webtop and the laptop-type dock provides me with a usable netbook if needed.

Awesome smartphone, strong h/w, ICS soon, MotoCast, Webtop, Smart Actions and very useful accessories make this expensive smartphone a great value.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 3, 2012
Upgraded from Droid X. Obviously the draw here is the battery life. Lasts two solid days with normal use and corporate email syncing constantly. It is a striking piece of equipment, love the feel of it (although it is a bit slick). Thin enough to not notice it in the pocket although it is a very large phone. Navigating the phone is speedy with no lag whatsoever that I have seen.

Cons: Not thrilled about the placement of the ports on the top of the phone; makes it difficult/awkward to talk while the phone is charging. To charge it fully takes 3-4 hours in my experience, as would be expected with such an enormous battery.
on March 27, 2012
I've owned a number of smartphones, and the common complaint about them all is battery life. The Razor Maxx is the only exception I've found. I've had mine about a month now, and for the first three days I actually had trouble running the battery all the way down to fully charge it as recommended at first. It's now 9:30 pm, I've been using my Maxx moderately since 6 am, and it's still showing 2/3 charge. Other advantages: size, processor speed, and clarity of the display screen. I honestly can't think of a downside.
on March 20, 2012
I'm a big fan of this phone - I upgraded from a Verizon Palm Pre Plus, and man is this phone better.

Things I love:
- Super fast internet
- Google Maps navigation (I'll never be lost again!)
- Hot spot/tethering capabilities (lasts for a long time and doesn't drain the battery nearly as much as my old phone's hot spot did. The internet is really fast on your computer when you use it, too)
- Super slim phone - it has a large screen, but it doesn't seem big since it's so thin. And I like the large screen - easier to do stuff!
- Great apps - so nice to finally be welcomed into the world of apps - my old phone had basically none. I'm loving Words with Friends and being able to take a picture of my checks and deposit it with my bank, etc.
- Customizable main screens - you can move around the icons and change the background, etc.
- Pretty intuitive set up, and I love the touch screen
- Good camera - not as good as a real camera, but good for a phone. And I love that there are cool filters you can add, and that it's super easy to upload photos to Facebook or Twitter (on my old phone, I couldn't upload to Fbook, and Twitter usually froze when I tried to upload photos!)
- Easy to hear people talking during phone calls - great quality and it's louder than my old phone, which is nice.
- The ability to download documents from email or websites is REALLY useful (again, couldn't do this on my old phone)
- The screen is pretty :)

The only thing really that has taken some getting used to is the onscreen keyboard (my old phone had a pullout keyboard) - it takes me awhile to type and I make a lot of errors, but I know I just need to get used to it. I remember being really slow on my old phone at first, too! I also don't like that the phone comes preloaded with some random apps that I don't want, but not a big deal.

Would definitely recommend this phone!

---

Disclosure: I am participating in the Verizon Wireless Ambassadors' Program and have been provided with a wireless device and three months of service in exchange for my honest opinions about the product. I was NOT paid to say I like the phone - just to give it a try and share my thoughts. Clearly, I love it!
on February 28, 2012
The battery life is amazing the battery is amazing I had to say it twice. The screen is large and very bright. 4G speeds are great. The user interface is great and is easy to navigate. My only gripe is I wish Verizon and Motorola would allow you to delete the preloaded bloatware without rooting the device. Other than that this is THE BEST phone I have ever owned...
on April 9, 2012
I love this phone. I love the battery life, I love how fast it is, I love how big the screen is. (Before this I had a 1st generation Droid; I was contemplating switching to an iPhone but luckily got the Razr Maxx a week after it came out.)

What prompted me to write this review is that yesterday I accidentally left my phone on the roof of my car and started driving. It fell off when I was going about 30 mph, on a very busy road. About an hour later I realized what I'd done, circled back, and found the phone on the side of the road. IT STILL WORKS PERFECTLY. The screen is flawless. There are some scratches on the back and the camera lens is cracked -- but the cracks don't show up in pictures, the camera works, everything works. And I didn't even have a case for it.

Thank you, Motorola. I will never stop singing the praises of this phone. (Verizon is another story, but the phone itself was worth the substantial amount of money I paid for it.)
on March 11, 2012
Finally a long lasting battery in a 4G phone! The phone is great by it self, awesome picture and it has a silky smooth operation. I've had this for about a month now and its just incredible. I was on a recent business trip where I had the phone on for over 10 hours with very heavy use including video, surfing, telephone calls, blue tooth, listening to music on the plane etc, and I got a kick out of watching so many people in the airports charging their phones. When I finally got home I had 50% battery life without ever touching a charger. It's hard to believe it took so long for someone to make this, and what's even harder to believe is nobody else has even come close to this battery life since it was released. Great Job Motrola!
on February 27, 2012
I have always been a big supporter of Google and so I have been using Android. However, I was always sorely disappointed with the hardware compared to the iPhone. I had a HTC Eris, which was complete crap. Then I got the Droid X, which was more functional but still lacking. Now I have the Razr Maxx and am incredibly satisfied with this phone.

Pros:
The response time and overall speed of the phone is phenomenal compared to my last Droid X. Having 4G LTE makes the world of difference, if you are buying a smartphone today make sure it has 4G. The battery is awesome, I get over 2 days of decent usage; no wifi, streaming music over spotify, about 1hr talk time a day, texting/gchat, reading the news, etc.). The camera (still and video) is amazing, it takes fast clear pictures every time, no need to bring a camera out with me anymore.

Extra pro, it uses a SIM card. So, you can call verizon to unlock the phone and then travel over seas with it! No more need for global phones because Verizon finally caught onto SIM cards.

Cons:
It's Motorola so the updates to latest version of Android will be slow. Not having ICS is a bit of a drag. Additionally, the Motorola software on the phone is really bad compared to the stock android. I had to use launcher pro and swift key. There is no way to access the stock image gallery, you have to use Motorola's which is not nice (once some reliable ICS roms come out, I'm just gonna root it).

Overall:
I bought this over the Galaxy Nexus because of the battery. I would recommend this phone to anyone looking to upgrade.
on October 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
This phone is terrible. It's so slow and always freezing up the way an old computer would. It doesn't like most apps and takes forever to load pages. The signal and WiFi is also terrible

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations