on March 27, 2013
This phone worked OK for about 6 months and I really enjoyed using it during that time. It's a speedy little microcomputer and an adequate phone. The app selection was adequate (I'm a business/consumer user and don't really play games).

Then the problems started.

After 6 months, if I made a change to sound settings, I ended up with random music files blasting at 2am as a 'notification'.

After the upgrade to ICS, my SIM card stopped working.

After 9 months, the earphone stopped working and I could no longer hear callers during a phone call.

After 12 months, bluetooth voice recognition stopped working.

After 15 months, the phone stopped charging.

Since it was out of warranty, Verizon would not replace the phone. Instead, I was offered $15 for a trade in. I didn't take it and now have a very expensive paperweight.

I was a loyal Motorola customer for over 10 years, but I'll never buy another Motorola device again.

======

Pros:
Processor speed
4G broadband speed
Good display quality
Good responsiveness of touchscreen

Cons:
Operating system (Motorola skin) unreliable and buggy
Faulty hardware
Using phone as mobile hotspot requires daily reboot (and there is no means of automatically rebooting on a schedule)
No way to turn off camera-click sound while taking a screenshot or rebooting
on February 14, 2013
I've had the phone since November, 2012. Lately its touch function (texting, unlocking the screen, etc.) has gotten very "touchy" in that it will enter two or three characters even though I've only tapped one.

Battery life is horrible, as others have said. On the other hand, the 4G hotspot is very helpful for us because we're in a rural area and can't get cable or DSL (but, the 4G LTE signal reaches out here and so we've been able to do away with our dedicated 3G data line with Verizon.)

I still have to occasionally turn the whole phone off--completely shut it down--because some functions cease working properly. This isn't a bad thing, and should be done relatively often, anyway. It's just an annoyance.

I wouldn't buy again, would not recommend to someone else, and I'm finished with Motorola. Their quality control doesn't seem to be what it once was. I'll switch to HTC or Samsung next time.
on December 24, 2012
I'm on my 4th phone in less than 2 months. This piece of garbage keeps crashing and having issues and I'm stuck sending it back for a replacement. Do not get this phone.
on September 26, 2012
This phone was bad. the screen broke the earphone jack stopped working,the speaker blew out.and the is the second one i got. The first one stopped working with 4g. This is not including the poor battery life,adds i kept getting.
I would not recommend this phone to anyone.
on September 6, 2012
I love my razr!

I bought it over 6 months ago for 300$, and have enjoyed it ever since.

The Good
-The Screen: It is well above average. It is very nice to watch movies and videos on.(More about the downside of it in the bad section)
-Durability: This is by far the most important thing to me. Most people on my campus have iphones, but this blows them out of the water. I have dropped my phone, had it stepped on, and gotten it wet multiple times, yet it always comes right back on.
-Performance: It used to be the best in its class when I ordered it in November. I would say for the average user who watches a few youtube videos, and only streams occasionally, then it will be fine. I have watched Espn Mobile on livestream, and it usually does quite well.

The Bad
-The Screen: For all it's goodness, it does pixelate a bit.
-Buttons: They sometimes don't register, although it is second only to the iphone as far as controls go.

Conclusion
This is a sweet phone! The majority of people will consider it against an iphone, but for the price you really can't beat it nowadays. I paid 300$ for it, and do not regret it one bit! If you are a college student, the durability alone makes it worth the value.
on August 27, 2012
best smart phone i've owned never expected so much from a smart phone fast big screen and i love ICS.
on August 10, 2012
This is my first smartphone, so while I understand there may be a period of adjustment here, I spent a good 30 hours online looking up answers every time I had a problem and getting no help from Verizon customer/tech service with problems. I was very close to sending this back, but didn't. This is an edited/updated review after having the phone almost two months.

The first thing I noticed was that the phone would turn off or go into sleep mode sometimes when I changed position, especially if I was using the Netflix app. The first time I charged it, it would kick into sleep mode as soon as I laid it on a flat surface while charging. After upgrading to ICS it happens much less frequently but still happens. UPDATE: The power off/sleep mode problem resolved after upgrading the Netflix app twice. The first upgrade didn't help, but when the second upgrade arrived a day later, that one did. I believe there must have been a bug fix in that upgrade.

An app will still randomly turn on when I set the phone down on a surface or turn it to a different angle, but the addition of a pretty solid case on the phone seems to have helped. I can't tell you why, and maybe it's a coincidence, but only about once or twice a week does a random app come on when I put the phone down on a table. That used to happen constantly.

When I got the phone it still had Gingerbread. I found I used two things the most: The "ignore"/"answer" buttons when a call came in, and the Twitter contacts. Updated to Ice Cream Sandwich the second day and both those things were gone, and the new ignore/answer buttons are wonky, not working half the time.

Also gone was my ability to get texts in a timely manner -- suddenly my texts took 10-30 minutes to go through and 30-45 minutes for me to receive someone's text. You can't have a real time conversation like that, and that is what I use my phone for. Further, every time I went to Twitter from the home screen, it would disconnect me, and the sleep settings and ringtones I chose (from the default tones that came with the phone) never stayed once I went to ICS. UPDATE: The text issue has mostly resolved, after several very frustrating calls to Verizon. Despite saying that there was nothing they could do, I noticed that a dozen missing texts showed up while I was on hold with the third customer service rep. Since then, everything has been fine with only the very occasional dropped text.

The battery life was never good. I was charging it daily even though it sat idle most of the time, and if I used it for anything more than 2-3 minutes it got almost too hot to hold. UPDATE: The case I mentioned above makes the heat issue much more tolerable. However, the battery life on this really stinks. We used the phone for calls, texts, Twitter, photos, music and looking up info while on vacation a month ago and it was constantly running out of battery life. It would get low and I'd charge it for 1-2 hours from an outlet in the hotel room before heading out to the next place we were going and it would only charge up about 20-30%, which of course didn't last long. Very frustrating.

I found the user interface pretty poor and not intuitive. Maybe for those who had Gingerbread for ages, it made sense. For someone just starting out, it was very strange. Moving and deleting apps on my home screen took two hands and the luck of the Irish. To answer a call, you went through two screens, one when you hit the phone symbol on the screen, then a second screen with 3 small buttons that weren't labeled.

The backup list downloaded all my Gmail addresses and mixed them in with my phone numbers, and it was a huge mess. Plus it kept a random six people from my Twitter contacts after upgrading to ICS -- the rest of the Twitter contacts disappeared and the ability to sync Twitter friends into my address book was taken away, so I couldn't add the rest of my Twitter contacts.

The camera isn't very good. Focusing takes forever and half the time doesn't work. You do NOT want to use this for a situation where you'll want spur of the moment photos. Turning the flash off and on, zoom, and other features are very easy to use, but the photo quality isn't great. I have a six-year-old digital camera which works 10 times better than this phone, and you'd think with all the power packed into this thing it would have a good camera. Sadly, it doesn't.

Sound quality on calls is as good as my last phone, so I'm pleased. Sound quality for music is also good, but using Winamp for Android on the phone for an hour took the charge from 90% to 20%.

What I liked about the phone: The graphics were delightful. It played films well (when it wasn't shutting off randomly) and Twitter (when I could connect) and Gmail worked great. The keypad was nice and I liked the suggestions. So as a computer, it was very nice. As a phone you could text on, though, it wasn't even close to what I needed. I wish it had worked, I can't tell you how disappointed I am.
on June 28, 2012
Since this was my first step into the smart phone market, I did quite a bit of research on the net. My priorities were that the phone have a decent display and fast connection speeds. The RAZR has definitely fulfilled those requirements.
I was a bit concerned about the large size, but I am getting used to it. You'll know when this thing is in your pocket. There have been complaints about battery life, but since this is my first, I don't have anything to compare it to. If I don't spend too much time surfing, the battery will easily last for the day. The display is a very big battery eater.
Overall, I am way more than satisfied. The fact that I got it from Amazon in May for $.01 and free shipping was a bonus. The delivery and activation were quick and smooth. Connectivity is great and the speed from the Verizon network is very fast.
Now if I can just get ICS rolled out to me. Maybe it'll come today...
on December 26, 2012
this phone is horrible. I only used it for four days. I upgraded from my incredible 2 to try out the Razr. I returned the overpriced peice of crap faster then Ive ever returned anything. I got it only through Verizon (long story) for 'free' as in it would cost me $128 plus my bill and two year contract had I kept it. I purchased the holiday Cranberry Edition. My Inc2 was faster, has a way better camera, and better screen overall.

The Razr looks nice, the water proof nano coating is a plus, thiness isn't much thinner then my inc2. But it had a loud speaker.
The camera was absolutely horrible, probably the worst out of all 8 mp cameras on any other make. Plus I had the well known but never fixed screen issue. If you own one check for black spots (kinda like ink blots) on the screen with a black background, in a really dark room. During the day my screen looked like it should but at night I could even see those spots shadowing any videos I watched, or games I played. Google it to see what I mean.

But for a 'flagship' model these phones are crap. I never liked Motorola to begin with, this phone made me like them even less. I'll never purchase a Motorola ever again. I never had 4g the entire time I had it. For a dual core it was slow. And although it says 16gb only 10 is available thanks to bloatware. Most of the 1gb Ram is used by the phones features and OS. Games I could play on my inc2 effortlessly, and at full graphics, would lag or crash on the Razr even on low graphic settings.

The UI is horrible, music player copies Apple all the way with the layout. Not as customizable as other phones. If your looking for a similar phone don't get this model, plus there are way better phones that beat the Razr all day, everyday. Dont give in to the gimmicks.

Plus I'm leaving Verizon. I'm tired of getting 'future proof' phones that never get updated, its because of them not the manufacturer.

I'm going to Sprint. Got the galaxy s3 for a penny $53.63 all told. Not only do I pay $30 less but I get more. So what if sprint doesn't have 4g LTE service yet. Verizon doesn't even have it in my area. I'm patient. Been paying Verizon to much for a long time waiting for them to make it worthit. They didn't and I don't plan on staying.

All in all the Razr is 'ok' but even my inc2 would beat it if it was updated to the latest OS. It's all hype, that's all the Razr is nothing more. You ever realize why Motorola is only putting out Razrs now? Because they are crap, and all their other phones flopped, that's why..... An the reason most go Apple is because in order for carriers to sell them Apple can and does have full control over updates and bloatware.

Verizon is good, but they are getting to expensive. And no matter what phone you choose, is rendered obsolete in a yr or less. Thanks to them holding back updates trying to force you into buying their newer phones. It's up to the manufacture also, but Verizon has ultimate say. I would stay if not for them lying, false advertisement, and if my phone was updated to ics. (The European version incredible S has Jelly bean) so my inc 2 is capable. I shouldn't be bullied into buying another phone and extending my contract, or rooting and voiding my warranty to get what I pay for and should get.

You would think at the least the phones would last long enough or most of your contract. The retail prices are a laugh. Because if these phones were really worth that much why would you need to upgrade every two years? At $600 $700 you'd think they'd last a minimum, and be updated at least for 4yrs. But maybe its just me?

But honestly, the Razr is horrible, its hype, why they still sell them is beyond me. Let alone make more models. That's why they have the whole buy one get one in store, cuz they suck. If all you ever had is Motorola, and you never tried any other brand, then you would never know what your missing.

If I could I'd buy the HTC Rezound. It's a penny at the moment. O_o I've never seen it that cheap. Plus Dre Beat headphones....now that's a steal.
on September 27, 2012
This has been a nightmare. The "gorilla glass" fractured all on its own after 3 months. Motorola did not cover under warranty. Their customer service wasted my time by asking me to send it in and then refusing to cover it. They violated their own policy which is to either cover it under warranty or return it if it was abused. Instead they offered to fix it for $125. ITS A SCAM.
My complaint to their customer service email was ignored and yet they sent me a survey to ask how they were doing.
This is an amateur outfit!
Buy anything else - Samsung or whoever.
Unfortunately I have 4 of these dogs with another 1.5 years to go.
Should I bite the bullet and dump them now?

Too bad they lost a formerly loyal customer by treating me with disdain.