on April 5, 2012
As an avid iOS user for many years, beginning with the 3GS (both jailbroken and not), I was hesitant to try an Android phone. My issue: I was noticing that I needed to put on my glasses every time I used the phone, and with the release of the 4s which still had the 3.5" screen, I thought I was going to just have to live with this screen size.

I saw an advertisement about the Galaxy Note (from AT&T), and laughed out loud about how huge it was. I showed my family and co-workers and they all laughed as well!

After a month of watching dozens of YouTube video reviews on this phone, and the size and clarity of the screen began to intrigue me enough that I went to the local AT&T store to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it fit my hand, and as I typed with both thumbs in iOS, the need to type with both thumbs on a bigger screen did not bother me at all!

I bought one on the spot, and decided to give this Android beast a fair shake!

I LOVE IT! I have used the Galaxy Note for over a week, and only had a couple of moments where I thought I was in a pickle. One of those was my need for visual voicemail, which was quickly solved with the Youmail app, and the other was the android messaging which was fixed by downloading Chomp SMS.

Many family and Co-Workers are now wanting one, and at least two of them said they will buy one in the next few months. If you are hesitant to get one, do like I did, go down to a phone store and try it out! It feels a little weird for the first few days putting it up by your ear (as it is like a mini tablet), but that feeling goes away within the first few days of use. The phone is a bit of a battery hog (mostly due to it's awesome screen), but I have yet to run it dry by the end of the day, but I have come close. As you can swap out batteries easily, and Amazon has the batteries available with charges for under $25.00, I don't see this as a problem even for the non-stop phone users.

In short: Buy it - Even a hardcore iOS fan like me will get converted by this great phone!

A funny note: A buddy of mine got the iPhone 4s yesterday and asked me to help him set it up.... I felt like I was cramped up in a tiny box trying to type on it!
on February 24, 2012
The Note is the newest in Samsung's Galaxy series. Chances are, if you're looking at this review, you've already checked out this product line, so I'm not going to get too specific about the specs...you know it's got a nice processing speed, a great screen, a good amount of onboard memory (16GB's), and the Android operating system (2.3 at the moment, but hopefully an upgrade to 4.0 comes soon). I will, however, talk about the two things that sets it apart from the other phones on the market right now - it's size and the S-Pen stylus.

The screen is humungous...the 5.3" screen is beautiful, but could be a detriment to some. It's thin, so I could easily drop it into my work pants, but jeans...that's another story. The size is great for viewing email, watching movies, or texting, but is a hassle to use as a phone and walk around with.

The S-Pen works pretty well. It's a magnet based stylus technology that allows you to take screenshots and mark them up, process signatures, draw on pictures, etc. I wouldn't use it, but I could see why people would like this. The pen is small though, and could seem uncomfortable for normal use. It easily slides into the phone for storage.

Bottom line, if you're going to use the S-Pen and don't mind a giant phone, pick this one up. The screen is gorgeous and the performance is nice and fast.
on February 25, 2012
What a fantastic device. I will make this short and sweet.... Battery life great! Screen is gorgeous......easy to use and very easy to get use too. At&t of course had to load this phone with pre installed can't remove software which is the only down side to this amazing device. The new google voice command than I expected. Overall if your looking to get a phone today its the best option on the market.
on April 14, 2012
Previously I owned Iphone and Ipad. Now I only use my note.
So much better in terms of everything.
I put 32G micro SD card and got two extra batteries. Costed me less than $100.
Note is a super phone. I love the pen as well.
on April 3, 2012
I finally feel like I'm home. I instantly fell in love with the Note. You can't say enough about the screen and what 5.3" actually looks like. Everything pops, is crystal clear, and the colors are vibrant. The Note is easily the fastest phone I've ever had. My previous phone was a Samsung Captivate - and the Note absolutely blows it away in every respect speedwise. There is no comparison. Everything, from connecting to WiFi networks to closing browsers, to opening documents, to buffering and watching video is much faster with the Note. It's noticeably faster in everything.

I wasn't sold on the S-pen at first, but is so responsive and intuitive that I find myself using it all the time. The Note's battery life has been the subject of some mixed reviews, but let me say that I've only charged my Note once over a three day span and I'm using it a lot (probably 2-3 solid hours of use a day). It fits fine in my pant's pocket at work and I've had no issues with the size at all. I'm not a large man (5'10"), and the Note is easy to hold and use. It feels solid in your hand, but isn't heavy or bulky.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this phone/tablet ("phablet") to anyone. The screen size alone sold me, but there is so much more to this device that the word "impressive" doesn't really do it justice. Samsung has really hit a homerun here, and it appears that they are going to be developing S-pen enhanced apps for it. The Note's size is very inviting, prodding you to use it as more than "just a phone". Great device. I'm finally home!
on March 26, 2012
I am a little over a week into ownership. I made the switch from iPhone 4 after owning an iPhone of some kind for the last 4 years and never owning an Android device. Was a little nervous about the switch but have to say I am liking Android a lot compared to iOS! Anyway, the phone. The phone is awesome!! The size is of course noticeable, to say the least, and seems to be the biggest "what if", so I'll start there. In short, I have quickly gotten used to the size it and enjoy it mostly. Great for surfing the internet, reading, remoting other devices, things you do on an iPhone and say "I wish I had a bigger screen for this...", etc. I still fumble around with it occasionally but have yet to drop it, although I've never really been phone dropper guy and am no more phone dropper guy with this phone. Also, I don't have a case on it as of this writing and I think once I get that, I will have an even better handle on it. The glass and back plastic can be pretty slick sometimes. I think if I had to do it again, I maybe would go a bit smaller (GS3 to have a 4.8 screen??) but it is manageable for me and the more I use it the more used to it I get and the more I like it! Then again, we'll see what happens when I get the case on there...

The S-Pen is cool, fun to play with, but I honestly haven't found a real use for it other than playing around. Performance is excellent, I am actually impressed after reading reviews of sluggishness on this new snapdragon processor. Very few hangups or app crashes so far. Some tasks, like web browsing, are jumpy feeling, not as smooth as iOS but I think that is more an Android thing than the phone. Not a deal breaker by any means.
Battery life has been pretty good. Once I was able to stop playing with it and use as normal, I got about 12-13 total hours on a full charge. About the same as iPhone, maybe a bit longer, in my experience. And it takes a looong time to charge but the battery is huge! I've started to just leave it on the charger overnight, every night.

----Some issues----
Android Market: Apparently the Android Market aka Google Play Store recognizes this phone as a tablet and therefore gives you access to only tablet apps?? So apps like 1weather (which I hear is awesome) are not available to me. I have not found a workaround for this yet but am looking. I'll try to provide an update if/when I find one.

App Resolution: Along the same lines, some apps seem to not be optimized for a screen of this size which may make them appear a little off. Scramble With Friends is an example of this, player names and scores actually overlap on screen. Annoying but again, not a deal breaker... well, until it happens in an app that matters (not a game). This could also be due to the fact that I have inadvertently installed the tab version of the app bc that was all that was available to me. Pulse news is another example, the font for article titles is very large and just looks wrong.

Call Quality: I have only made 2 calls on this phone (not a big phone talker) so take this FWIW, but one said I sounded like I was in a tunnel but on speaker phone I sounded perfect. The other caller did not mention anything. I have yet to test it out for myself but thought I would mention. Call quality reviews that I have read about this phone have been good overall.

--Overall I love this phone and I love Android. Not sure why I stayed with Apple for so long actually. Also, this phablet will be getting the ICS update (coming for AT&T in 2Q 2012) which, from what I read, should make the resolution issues go away, maybe even make battery life better, more S-Pen integration and so on. This review will be 5 stars once that comes out!
on March 23, 2012
This phone is not big; every other phone is small. After only a couple days of use this screen size was my new normal. I can't imagine using a phone with a smaller screen. My last phone was the iPhone 4S which was great but I have outgrown the screen size.

This phone has the largest screen out there and yet still matches and/or beats the quality of all the smaller ones. It is not stretched or pixelated, not ever.

I almost never use the handwriting apps yet I use the S pen often. My favorite way to "type" is to use the S pen with the Swype keyboard for Android.

At that point I don't think the Android App Market(s) will ever match the apple App Store but there is still a great selection with a quality about for all your needs and desires.

Surfing the wed on my note is far more like using a normal laptop/computer than a typical mobile phone experience.

The camera I am going to mostly hold out of this review because the shutter speed is slower than any out there so I feel like I must be doing something wrong. However I have not taken the time to tinker around in settings and see if there is something I can adjust to fix this.

I highly recommend this phone. Of course those who don't want such a sizable phone should look elsewhere. Those who see it as a great asset this is the phone to get.
on March 18, 2012
So long Nokia. So long Blackberry. I loved the N95 8G and the Torch but the Note is the best phone aka tablet on the market right now. It is the fastest and has the best graphics by far. Visit any store and watch a movie or HD clip from YouTube and you will be amazed at the clarity. The phone also takes incredible photos and shoots video in HD. Not even the current I-phone can match it and I can change my own battery when its required without sending it back to Apple.com.

The lists of its features have already been discussed in detail on this page and in other reviews so I will skip that. The speed and size of screen cannot be overstated. It fits in my pants pocket and dress shirt pocket without any problems provided that you purchase a slim case, which I did. I would prefer a thicker case for greater protection in the event of a drop but that's what phone insurance is for. Its worth it on this investment.

The ability to cut and paste photos or screen shots and then add comments that can be e-mailed is a real time saver when trying to graphically convey a message to someone. The camera on the front and back of the phone is also a great perk that I haven't had since my old Nokia N95 8G. Now I can see who is calling and who I am talking to in real time.

If there was a complaint it would be the lack of FM radio that does not eat into your data plan. Nokia offered that a decade ago and continues to. Of course there are about 300+ android FM radio apps so there are reasonable alternatives. This is by far the best phone I have ever owned. I hope the "phablet" trend catches on so when I upgrade, I can get another large 1080p screen from Samsung.

It so popular that the Note II was introduced later in the same year. Samsung's Galaxy based phones are now the leader of the pack!
on March 10, 2012
At first, it seemed to me like a very large phone but I got used to it very quickly. Now, I see it just like a normal size. I don't have large hands but I can hold and operate the phone without any problems with one hand. I put my pinky finger at the bottom when holding it so it won't slide down my hand.

At the beginning, I used a bluetooth earpiece for making calls, but now, I use the phone directly, it doesn't bother me at all.

The screen is gorgeous, browsing the internet it's much more comfortable than with smaller screens.

Overall, I am very happy with it.

My favorite app is the calendar that came with the phone; very nice looking app and with all the functions you expect from a calendar app.

Using the pen needs a little bit of training but, it's very convenient; you can answer emails with handwritten notes and include drawings (smiley faces).
on October 12, 2012
I bought this phone three months ago. Great screen size, good resolution, and the pen is kinda neat, but that's about it.

I did a bad thing. I took the phone in my bathroom while taking a shower. (not physcially in the shower) The steam and humidity rendered my internal speakers useless. AT&T would not honor the warranty based upon the humidity moisture issue.

I had done this before with other phones with no problems. The phone never got wet - just the humidity from a five minute shower.

Anyway, I now have a phone that doesn't function properly. I blame the cheap plastic back. It is nowhere close to being air tight. If you have an opportunity to test this this phone, take the back off. You will see what I mean. The back is thin, flimsy, and snaps in to place too easily. I guess if I would have taken off the plastic back - I would have realized there would be the potential for moisture issues.

There are other problems with this phone.

1) The on and off button is located near the top right, where you normally hold the phone. I was routinely touching this button causing the screen to disappear, or calls to end. It is poorly placed and should be located on the top of the phone.

2) The speakers are poor. When listening to something off of the internet, You Tube, etc. or a playback camera scene, the sound is hard to hear.

3) The phone has no native application for seeing missed calls on the screen or a feature that notifies you of a new voice message. Even my old non-smartphone had that feature. You will have to download an outside ap to solve this issue.

4) Camera is only adequate - as with most smart phones, the picture quality does not compare with a true digital camera at 8 megapixels. The pictures are somewhat fuzzy.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations