on March 28, 2012
When laptops arrived on the scene and coming into use, they were little tiny things. After awhile, they started getting bigger and bigger, faster and faster. Today we see the end result in laptops after 20 plus years and a typical screen sizes from 14" to 18".

Now cell phones are going down the same path. Once you've used the Note, it just melts with atraction in your hands and you just can't get enough of it. Thanks Samsung for the Note with its next generation in the industry.

There needs to be a new device name for the Note since cell phone just doesn't fit anymore. It's much much more.

The Note is a trendsetter and the world is just finding out about it.

Update:
I've had the G-Note for 30 days and you couldn't pry me away from it. There's no other phone on the market that I would rather have. While in the AT&T store last week, all other phones just pale to the Note. I have used the G-Note more in the past month than my previous cell phone in a year.

- The Note is a 10
- The battery life if good
- The speaker is loud, and the screen always impressive
- Taking a quick note is a snap
- Instant Screen captures and camera pics are awesome
- Blazing network
- Ease of use: A 6 year old would have no problems with it, a 40 year old gets the job done, and a 90 year cannot put it down :-)

I'm soooo glad for the stylus. You can take a quick and easy note like: Bread, Milk and Cereal. Call Thomas at 555-1212. In an instant, you have a handy notepad in your pocket.

It will take a month just to explore the possibilities of the Note and enjoy it each time you use it.

I think that's what separates the Note from any other... It's easy, It's fun, It actually allows you to do real work and it makes sense for today.

As each day goes by, the Note is just right. Before walking out of the store, it starts looking just right.

Samsung Galaxy Note: i717: No Complaints and a perfect companion device
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2012
Order mine here in Amazon. I tried at&t to match the Amazon price but they decline, anyway the unit arrived after 2 days...working out of the box and the screen is not scratch.... reading comments "Only if you use a screen protector".
Installed the Anymode Cover and also a Screen protector mainly because of the finger print...ya it's a magnet but quess all screen are like that!
I could give 5 instead of 4 but because of the OS delay update.
The phone is very responsive and S-Pen is also working very nice. Sound/speaker could be better.
I don't need to elaborate much more on how good is the phone as previous reviews are already mentioned on how this phone really performed, it's not for every body as the size will scare you but as i said...you have to hold it or tried it first before getting it...as i did went to AT&T first and played the phone and i like it...sadly the AT&T price is higher than amazon...$50 more plus tax.
Just adding about the Screen size was the main reason i like the phone...as a photgrapher it's just the right size to show my work/porfolio to my prosfect/clients... so far a lot ofmy friends and people are asking/saying WOW...that's big! I was also looking for a tablet before but saw this instead. First tabletphone..samsung you rock!
on February 26, 2012
My primary focus when looking for a cellphone this time around was a huge screen for surfing, reading, etc.

Wow, what a hit this has been. I am a long time fan of the Palm and Android. Being a fan of Palm, I downloaded the Graffiti input and it works great. Actually, I have found different uses for the various forms of input: Speech, Samsung writing recognition, Swype, and (Palm) Graffiti. This "tablet" is so versatile.

You can really see the improved performance with the dual CPUs. And the large memory is great... I used to have to terminate programs and unload them constantly. This version lets you move the apps out of RAM and onto the internal 16GB memory/"sd card", so you have tons of room.

If you've seen some of the videos for the S-pen, they are really pretty accurate. I like the ability to create a scrapbook type memo for the projects I am working on. It's fun and useful for organizing your thoughts.

You can tell the reviewers who criticize the handwriting recongition, don't really know how to use the device. Once you learn how to properly use the applications, it's really pretty easy and works well (you may have to watch a few videos to fully understand the techniques). You can write in cursive pretty sloppy and it still recognizes the text. The trick is just selecting which word to use from the list displayed and hitting the space bar.

The camera and associated software is great. I like how you can touch the screen to tell the camera where to focus & set the exposure settings.

I really wanted this device, but was about to save money and go for the Galaxy SkyRocket, but everyone complained about the battery in the SkyRocket (even though it is still huge). This one does last all day under heavy use, but I still need to tweak the settings because sometimes during heavy use it will drop to 50%, (which with my old phone was the kiss of death, and I better look for a charger). But the Note able to make it through the day and evening just fine.

The vast majority of the time the size is awesome, but occasionally, it is sometimes the size is awkward. But I think it will just take getting used to where to place your fingers and it will be second nature very soon.

I can't wait to see the new apps that come out.

Just a note, for those of you that read the overseas N9000 version, this one does not have an FM radio as previously advertised.
on May 15, 2012
I purchased this from an AT&T store a couple months ago, and so far I like it. It's easy to get used to the size, and once that happens you have a 720p screen at your fingertips. Combined with Google Drive, I can hook up a keyboard (using a USB OTG cable) and write a paper. The TV out also works, I used an MHL adapter with RCP purchased from here. Video playback is good, though I have to go to software rendering on some things (the international version doesn't have this problem, see below).

While it doesn't have the Samsung Exynos processor in it (which I hear is better than the Qualcomm Snapdragon), it does have LTE, for when it comes to my area.
on March 21, 2012
I bought this to replace my iPhone 3GS. I love iOS but I needed a larger screen. You can do all the same things as on an iPhone (well some favorite apps aren't found yet) and the giant Screen is AWESOME. Maps are really useful now! I can read and answer email and see the week's calendar to schedule appointments without carrying my Macbook with me. My big complaint is AT&T moved the on/off button to the top right side directly across from the volume up/down button. It is hard to grab this phone without touching one or both. In addition the button is VERY sensitive and thus I have powered off this phone multiple times in the process of trying to use it; That is extra irritating because in this Android my settings and preferences have to be reset each time that happens. Also the predictive text function WILL NOT let go when it doesn't know the word -it forces it's own garbage on me. I've turned it off. Android would probably astound me with it's excellence if I'd never used iPHone. There are some features I've found that iphone didn't have but it's harder to find what I'm looking for. (very comparable to moving from Mac to PC) I'm wearing my bluetooth a lot more now rather than holding the phone to my ear. I carry it in a pouch slung crosswise.
Camera is great, I had to find the settings to make Skype do video calls but when I did, it works great!
I don't use the stylus much yet, but I'm glad to have the option.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 20, 2012
Gotta say I am lovin' this phone and I have had it for 24 hrs. Sync-ed right up with my laptop, could never get my iphone even recognized. Have already downloaded a bunch of apps, even got my own music on it. Doesn't charge real fast, but I'm waitin on the dock so it can charge overnite anyway. And most importantly, my son can play 'angry birds' for hours!! (haha).

It should have a longer USB cord.
on April 3, 2012
I've been using the iPhone since the original model came out, way back in 2007. I've enjoyed using it for a long time, especially the simplicity and elegance of it. However, I bought a Xoom a year or so ago since I didn't particularly like the iPad (I felt like it was just a big iPhone, and I still feel that way), and I liked the Android system. I saw this in the store, and fell in love with the screen clarity, even though the size made me hesitate.

I admit - it took some getting used to. The Android system is SO different from the iOS system that it took me a few days to figure out my way around the phone, and I consider myself a very tech-savvy person. Now that I have it figured out, though, I love it. There are a few things I will miss from my old iPhone, but the Android system is just so flexible that it's hard not to enjoy it.

Now for the phone itself. Yes, it is very large. I can still fit it in my pocket - not that I want to. I have never carried my phone in my pocket, that is just begging for a crushed phone. I like the extra space you get with the big screen though, and I suspect my mother in law will be trying to steal it from me. She has to use reading glasses now for her iPhone, but with a screen the size of the Note, she doesn't have to!

And oh, that screen. The colors are so saturated and gorgeous, I can't even look at my old iPhone 4 anymore. It's so much paler in comparison!

I don't really use the stylus much, expect to play Draw Something. I feel like I'm cheating when I use it, it's so much easier to draw pictures than drawing with your finger.

In summary: do I regret switching from the iPhone to the Note? Not at all! For people worried about trying something new - don't be. Android is tricky at first, but you'll come to love it.
on March 8, 2012
So far I love this phone, the size is perfectly manageable, It has taken me about 3 days to get used to it and now its a non issue! The only thing I would change is the speakers, both the speakerphone and normal speaker are on the soft side; I get absolutely no distortion though, so I suspect they could be over driven; perhaps an app exists or will exist to do that some...

The Screen is just knock em dead gorgeous! I had discounted this phone after playing with a foam mock up, decided it was to big; but then I actually saw one in an ATT store and was just like WOW!

The GPS is also great, gets lock where others don't and is lightening fast; I guess this is thanks to the use of the GLONASS system in addition to std GPS.

As for the S-Pen; it initially had some calibration issues, but if you just play around with it, it gets better quickly and automatically. If you're in a real hurry, google "spen calibration" and you should find some tips and tricks. I have to say though I have yet to find myself using it; I can swype text faster than I can write by hand anyway; we'll see once I start doing more technical and design meetings at work if it makes sense.

Not sure what else to say that hasn't already been said; I paid 650$ for it outright and am using it on the new StraightTalk SIM $45 plan and it works great, getting ~5Mbps Down and ~1.5Mbps up; not the LTE speeds but why on earth do I really need more than 5Mbps? I can't imagine unless I was hot-spotting for like 4 or 5 other laptops or the like...

All in all I suspect you won't regret this purchase!
on May 12, 2012
Since I've become almost as dependent on a mobile phone for GPS navigation as for making calls, I got really excited seeing the Galaxy Note with its huge, high resolution display and inclusion of Google Navigator with voice guidance. So excited that I "upgraded" from my iPhone 4s. What a mistake! The Galaxy Note's battery charging circuit can't keep up with the additional current used by the navigation app. I thought the problem was the car charger so I replaced the 0.5 amp unit with a 1.0 amp charger and then a 2.1 amp charger. No appreciable difference. My guess is that Samsung's engineers couldn't solve the problem of the battery getting hot enough to fry the phone's circuitry without throttling back the charge rate. I was told by an AT&T salesperson that the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket has the same slow charge rate issue and his workaround is to carry several auxiliary battery packs on a trip. At about $100 a clip for this accessory multiplied by the several I'd need, this didn't sound like a plan to me. Consequently, I returned the Note to AT&T and got another iPhone 4s. It's hard going back to what now seems like a teeny-weeny display but I love seeing the iPhone's battery charge status indicator climb at the same time my Magellan RoadMate app is guiding me along. The other issue with the Galaxy Note has to do with using a headset for voice dialing and other commands. Because the Note is so unwieldy to hold due to its size, I took a suggestion from other reviewers and dedicated myself to using it with a Bluetooth headset. The BlueAnt Q2 is supposed to be the best for using voice commands with the Android OS so that's what I got. But I found that the phone was frequently confused by standard commands like "Call Meghan" spoken into the headset, sometimes wouldn't respond at all, and sometimes would start responding but then stop abruptly in midstream and never complete placing the call. Now that I have an iPhone 4s again and SIRI to take my commands through a Jawbone ERA, that frustration has ended too. But I sure do miss that big Samsung screen.
on October 24, 2012
I really want to like this phone .... I have owned mine for a little over three (3) months. Previously, I owned several iPhones. I decided to switch to Droid, and I chose the Samsung Galaxy Note because of its size and screen.

The bad: The Battery; one of the worst phone battery experiences I've had with any phone. Yes, the screen uses up a lot of the battery charge -- too much in fact. The poor battery performance overshadows the other notable features of this phone.

The good: The Screen; one of the best phone screens I've had with any phone. Its beautiful and people notice when I use the phone in public; Netflix never looked so good.

Bottom line: Unless you can sit at a desk with a phone charger nearby -- avoid this phone.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations