Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 195 reviews
on May 8, 2012
I've been wanting to get a tablet since last year and have been holding out since they announced ICS and Quad-Core processors. I was going to get the Prime for christmas, but it was unavailable, so I decided to wait and see what came out in the spring. I've stayed away from the Prime due to the higher price and GPS issues, so it came down to 3 tablets while making my decision (Transformer Pad, Acer Iconia a510 and the Toshiba Excite 10). All 3 tablets are very similar and met my criteria for a tablet (ICS, Tegra 3, 1280x800 display, HDMI-out, etc.). I had originally ordered the Iconia a510, but it was back-ordered. Then I saw the Excite was available and in stock early on Amazon last week, so I cancelled my order for the Acer and immediately orderd the Toshiba. What ultimately sold me on the Toshiba model was the Gorilla Glass, the Stock ICS experience and the Full SD card slot. My wife takes a lot of pictures and will love being able to just pop the SD card out of the camera and into the tablet.

I received the device yesterday and it is very fast and slim. I used it for a good 3 hours straight last night with music playing in the background and experienced no lag at all and still had 70% battery remaining after the 3 hours. The Excite 10 is very well built and feels sturdy in the hands. Not too heavy, but just enough that it doesn't feel like you are going to break it. The WiFi signal was very strong and didn't have any issues there. The speakers sound pretty good considering how small they are. The setup took no time at all and with the Google Restore function, I had all of my phone apps (about 100) on my tablet within 20 minutes.

So far I haven't come up with too many Cons for this device. If I had to list some they would be the following:

1. There is a good amount of pre-installed junk on the device. Not that big of a deal since apps can be disabled in ICS.
2. The Charger is proprietary. It would be nice to charge over microUSB, but with the size of tablet batteries, it would take forever to fully charge, so it is understandable why it doesn't.

Overall, I am very pleased with this product and would recommend it.

UPDATE 5/11/12:
1. I wanted to point out that I ran AnTuTu Benchmarking tool and it listed the Excite 10 as a 1.3 GHZ Tegra 3 processor and got a better average score than every other device listed.
2. Some of the pre-installed junk can be uninstalled, but some can only be disabled.
3. I was able to plug the charger into my Laptop and Car USB ports and it was able to charge. It was charging slower than the wall plug, but a nice feature if the battery is running low.
1818 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 17, 2012
I received this tablet (the 32GB version) on Tuesday and after a couple days to get used to it here's what I found;

Overall I really like the tablet. It's fast, very fast, very thin & light, runs most apps without any issues (some apps won't work with it but this is only because the developers haven't put it on the list of compatible devices. i.e. Lets Golf 3 won't run on it, I'm sure it will be updated to work though. This tablet definitely has enough power to run it). There's no way I've found to root it yet though. I'll keep it as I'm sure someone will come up with a way sooner than later.

Some other reviewers have said the sound is too low. This is fixable by going into the audio enhancement settings and click on SRS sound boost. With this on the volume is just fine. The stereo separation is very good too (two speakers located on the bottom side of the device)

This tablet has a pretty big proprietary connector on the supplied USB cable. It should last a while, it better be tough for the size of it. This brings up an interesting point. When you plug in the tablet with this cable to your computer, nothing happens other than it will charge the tablet. On all of our computers (5 of them) windows wouldn't recognize the tablet was attached. When you plug in the tablet with a micro USB cable the computer will recognize it. It's a bummer they use a huge connector on a cable that only charges the tablet and then only at 5v. Takes a long time to charge. On the upside you can use external battery pack chargers (you can get 10000+mAh batteries for around $60 on Amazon that will provide a lot of spare power.

Toshiba tech support from my limited experience with them is awful. I called about transferring files via the supplied cable and they were no help.

I also had an issue using the USB host functionality trying to use an external hard drive and found via their tech support it will only support drives formatted to exFAT, FAT or FAT32. DOES NOT support drives formatted to NTFS. This is very odd... I had to back up a 750GB Oyen Digital hard drive, reformat it and then transfer the files (mostly movies and TV shows) back to it. Took forever. Now that the drive is formatted to exFAT it works perfectly. Just plug it in using a micro USB host cable (purchased separately) and viola, it shows up on the file explorer (both the stock file explorer and ES file explorer).

PROS:
* It's very light and thin
* It's super-fast. I scored a little over 10300 on AnTuTu benchmark, and this is with the tablet loaded up with apps (my xoom would only do 6700 or so). Once I can root it and overclock it a bit I'm sure it'll be one of the fastest tablets around.
* Full sized SD card support. I'm using a 64GB card and it works great. I'm sure it'll handle a 128GB card. If I spring for one I'll update this review if it doesn't.
* Some of the bloatware is un-installable (the demo app, games etc.). You don't need to unable them, but that is an option if you want to keep them on the device.
* Screen image is sharp (although there is a fair amount of light bleed - see the cons)
* Gorilla Glass
* Handles 1080p video well, although the native video players doesn't handle many video formats. Use "MX Player", free on the market and will play anything.
* Screen is very responsive. Almost too responsive, when you go to touch an icon if your finger is moving at all left or right it will start to scroll the page and you'll need to touch the icon again to open the app.
* Very good wifi and GPS reception.
* Stock browser works great. Haven't had a force close yet (this would happen all the time on my Xoom, even after I upgraded it to ICS).
* USB host functionality is great (many devices need to be rooted to get this to work).
* Charging off of a standard USB port is nice, but it takes a long time to fully charge.
* Battery life is pretty good. I've been getting around 8 hours of actual use (mix of streaming vids, checking email, etc).
* Boot time is fast. I clocked 55 seconds from off to the lock screen showing up and then another 10-15 seconds for widgets to load.

CONS:
* Lots of light bleed. Not very noticeable if you're watching something with a lot of light but during dark scenes it's a little annoying.
* Proprietary charging cable that only seems to charge the tablet.
* Charging takes a looong time
* No way to root yet. After some digging around it looks like it might be awhile before a rooting method is released... This is a real bummer.
* Can only handle FAT formats if you use an external hard drive.
* Some apps aren't compatible with it, yet.
* You have to click the notification area a few times sometimes to get it to open up.

That's about it. Overall I really like this tablet and can't wait for a rooting method to be released. If I notice anything else that needs to be addressed I'll update this review. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll help if I can!
2929 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2015
Okay - I have to admit this review is nearly 2 years late (sorry Amazon Gods) but for lack of better reasons - I was busy and where I'd have given it a 2.5/3 in 2013...now, upon second look it plays better...

While I already owned an older Android tablet, that I used daily (and have until just a few weeks ago), in 2013, when my company's IT policy stopped allowing USB devices on our work laptops (had always been a perk, but multiple hacks later and you can't really blame them) - with 8 years of data backed up - I needed something to access my external hard drive; and from all the reviews that were out at the time AND the on-line specs...that should have been a fairly easy thing with this tablet...
...and in the end - I could get it to work (sort of)...but the extended process to get there was more hassle than it was worth and I finally caved and bought an ASUS Windows based tablet that worked perfect for what I needed - right out of the box. ...so I chalked this up as a good experiment, and the Excite went into storage, along with all the dock and misc hardware/accessories I purchased for it...and I stayed with my older tablet for personal use, and the ASUS on those exceeding rare occasions I needed to access my old data.

...roll forward to last month and my trusty reliable, albeit older tablet started missing more than an occasional step...the OS simply can't be updated to work with any number of apps that are coming out and the device requires nearly daily reboots to get it to work properly - tried all the tricks and after much frustration and heartbreak - finally decided to wipe it and only have a couple of key apps loaded - so it's relegated to night-time reading...
...which brings us back to the Toshiba Excite...
While tablet prices have dropped dramatically since my first purchase (you can get this same tablet for over $100 less now than then, and it's comparable "new" version is even less than what I paid back then) - it seemed a waste to go hunting for something new - when the Excite was still available (though I did shop). ...Now I'd never had any issues with the performance or specs on the Excite - but honestly hadn't given it a hard break-in since I'd only wanted it for one reason...now, after well over a year in a box - I take it out, recharge it AND after the expected 3-4 hours of updates and downloads...It works like a charm.
First thing I notices was how much lighter it was than my older tablet - makes it feel cheaply made, but I think that's only in comparison.
Second thing I noticed was that I hate the anti-glare screen protector I originally put on it - and had the pains of removing it and go clear screen - and noticed the better resolution and quality of the screen/colors. The specs aren't that much better - but side-by-side - the Excite is clearly superior
Third - all the hiccups and glitches I'd been experiencing with my older tablet were gone - and the Excite ran smoothly and much faster; and to date I've not experienced any problems with all current versions of apps that I use
Fourth - streaming video worked fine, as did viewing of downloaded videos; two road trips and watching it on a number of networks and I like the quality and speeds of this device
Finally - just because - I did some Hangout and Skype-ing and took some happy-snaps - and the rear camera was leaps and bounds better than my older tablet as is the front camera, though not overly so...but those i chatted with all indicated the video feed was clearer and overall smoother

The only "complaint" I have with the device is that once you mount the SD card...along with an icon in the lower right to unmount the card - you're constantly hit with pop-ups about unmounting the card and/or decisions that ask you to do so...it's almost like Toshiba was trying to avoid the possibility that just for some reason you might forget the card was in the device...annoying because you can accidentally touch the icon and suddenly the SD card is no longer available.

To date, I haven't had any real negatives - hope this one won't be hit with the power connector issues a number of reviewers mentioned - and am pleased I didn't get rid of the tablet as it's comparable to most newer tablets I tried out at BB and other retailers.
on July 2, 2013
I purchased this tablet from Eritech International Inc., who was very responsive to a couple of questions I had. The tablet is great. It has the Nvidia Tegra 4-core processor with a 5th core for battery-saving low-power operation (probably during standby mode).

It has the same processor speed as the Samsung Galaxy tab 10 but double the number of cores (actually 2.5 x). The 32 GB or internal data storage means that I probably won't run out of room on the internal SD card like I did with the 8 GB internal storage on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

This has all the outputs that I'll likely need, including a mini-HDMI output. Yes, you can hook this up to a TV through it's HDMI port connection.

I purchased a factory refurbished model and saved about $130 over a new one and it arrived in like-new condition. I can't tell that it had ever been used before. The nice thing about a refurbished product is that whatever went wrong has been fixed and the unit is more thoroughly tested than on a regular assembly line during initial production. Sometimes a refurbished product will have better components to address a weakness in the original design. Whatever the case was with this Excite model, it works fine now and has not given me an ounce of trouble.

At this time, I don't think you can beat the value of this model in refurbished condition. Eritech International Inc. actually opens the factory sealed box and re-tests these units once more before sending them to their customers, an added bonus to me since i had purchased a used one of these through Amazon Warehouse Deals and got a bad one (remember, it wasn't refurbished, just used). I returned it for a refund and ordered this one right away.

The only downside (and it's a minor one that's not a showstopper) is that the docking/charging cradle is hard to find and those that you can find are not cheap. While there are plenty of those for the previous model, the Toshiba Thrive (which we also have and love), and at a very low price ($10 to $15 with the power supply and dock and sometimes with other accessories also), this is not the case for the Excite. My guess is that Toshiba overestimated the demand for these when they made the Thrive and that's why there are so many available on the deal-a-day web sites and the big online auction site. Then, they decides to make very few for the Excite so as to not waste money producing something that there was little market demand for.

While I do have a couple of docking cradles for the Thrive we have, we haven't used either of them, so it's not an important item to me. However, if they suddenly showed up on those sites at a low price I would probably buy one or two.

In my opinion, I would recommend this tablet to anyone looking for an Android tablet. It comes with Android 4.0 (or will update to it for free if it comes with the previous version) and is fairly fast at doing what it needs to do for you. If you see Eritech International Inc. selling one here, grab it. They don't sell these here continuously, so if it's here, it likely won't be tomorrow. If another vendor sells a refurbished Thrive, just check the vendor reviews before you decide. With a refurbished model, you get a 90 day warranty through Toshiba and likely have a 30 day return option through Amazon or the vendor.
on May 16, 2012
So far I've owned the ASUS Transformer Prime (TF201), Acer Iconia Tab A510, and now the Toshiba AT305. The TF201 had build quality and wireless/GPS issues and the A510 had a "grid effect" to the LCD and some bad heat issues (106+ degrees). And now the AT305, which has light bleed issues. The sad part is that despite this annoying "issue," it's still the best Tegra 3 tablet out there.

As with the Acer and Asus, I've already gone through two AT305's just to make sure these issues were consistent. But let's go into a bit more of a detailed review first on the AT305 that I've been using for a few days now.

DESIGN:

Out of the box, initial impressions are very good. The tablet has a great solid feel to it, it's comfortable to hold, thin, and yes, even light weight. The back has a hard, smooth, plastic feel to it - although I hear its aluminum. If so, it probably has some type of coating on it. Basically, it's one nice looking tablet.

I won't go into details regarding where everything is or what feature it has, as you can easily see this from the pictures. Although the one item I must point out is the SD Card Slot, which is on the right side. There is a blank filler card that must be removed when you want to use your own SD card. While the addition of a full-size SD slot is very welcome, there is nothing to cover the slot once your card is in there.

So your hand will frequently rub against the sharp inside edges of the plastic casing. I'm normally not a big fan of plastic covers, but in this instance, it would have been very nice to have. If you're planning on getting a case, this won't likely be an issue.

WIRELESS:

I've tested both wireless and GPS extensively and found them to both perform very well. I'm able to maintain a solid WiFi connection even at the furthest reaches of my Access Point. And GPS can actually pick up a few satellite in-doors, which is always impressive. Outside I can get accuracy down to less than 18ft, within 1-2 minutes. This of course was verified with the GPS Test application.

PERFORMANCE:

Overall the device is very snappy and I haven't had any issues that I didn't run into with the other Tegra3 devices on Android 4.0.3. There are still a few occasional bugs or glitches with ICS, which I hope they'll resolve soon. Otherwise, nothing specific to the AT305.

Antutu scored a 10,313 and Quadrant is right at 4,000. I've seen slightly higher Antutu scores on the A510, which was closer to 11k. Although as I recall, this is the highest Quadrant score I've seen to date. Keeping in mind that both devices I had scored nearly identical. And in either case, the scores are subjective and personally don't put a whole lot of faith in them.

Until they have some new benchmarks that really take advange of the quad core CPU and Tegra3, they're just something to give you interesting numbers to look at. :) Real world tests are where it's at. Speaking of which, playing Tegra 3 games is smooth and they all run expectedly nice. Surfing the web, running apps, and other such tasks are all as expected. Quite good.

After watching movies and playing games, I got temps as high as 93 degrees on the back, right side. This was determined by my infrared thermometer. It's not as cool as the 85 degree TF201 but also nowhere near the 106+ degree A510. So I consider that to be on the warm side, but not uncomfortably so. I think the material on the back Toshiba uses helps to dissipate the heat so it doesn't "feel" hot or uncomfortable.

While surfing or running normal apps, the temps were staying in the 80's where it should be.

DISPLAY:

Starting positive here, the LCD does look very nice. In fact, of the TF201 and A510, it's the nicest I've seen. Even though it's not IPS (it's TFT as I recall), it looks great. The images are very crisp, colors are vibrant, and it has surprisingly good contrast ratio. The best part is that they've found a very nice color temperature balance.

While the A510 was very cool and the TF201 was on the warm side, I found the AT305 to quite neutral. This makes it very pleasing to use whether you are reading, surfing, playing games, or watching a movie.

But of course we can't ignore the negative part of this. There is light bleed, and it just makes me very sad. You won't notice this on any normal colorful image. But if you're watching a movie or looking at a picture that has a black background at the edges, you'll see a very uneven amount of light emitting from the sides. And the more you turn up the brightness, the worse it is.

In fact, just powering on the tablet, you'll see this on the Toshiba logo as it has a black background. It was exactly the same with both AT305's I got. And it's not something I ever experienced with any other tablet I've owned or used. Normally, this is considered a defect and swapping it out would resolve the issue. But based on my experience and countless other reviews/posts on-line, this is quite common with the AT305.

Whether you call it a defect, poor build quality, or a cheap display, it's not desirable.

BATTERY:

Just in general, when you make something smaller, you tend to make some sacrifices. In this case, it was the battery life. To test it out, I started with a fully charged battery. Then basically used it non-stop until I got down to 20% remaining, at which point we were right at 6 hours of usage. This isn't very good. Although keeping mind this is "heavy" usage. I was downloading a bunch of apps, playing games, watching movies, and even ran a benchmark or two during that time.

So I'd say heavy usage, you're looking at 7+ hours. Personally I don't like allowing the battery get much lower than 20%, so that's normally about the time I'm looking for a power cord. And yes, the power adapter is straight out of the 90's. There's no reason it needs to be that big; but it is, and I got over it.

For me, with "normal usage," I'm easily lasting the entire day on a single charge. This is mostly because I don't use it non-stop and spend most of the time checking e-mail or surfing the web. And overall, it's a fair compromise for its light weight and thinness.

SPEAKERS:

As with the A510, the AT305 has down-firing speakers at the bottom, and there are in fact two of them (unlike the TF201). They are backed by Toshiba and SRS enhancements, which are definitely needed. If these sound enhancements are turned off, the sound is horrible. But with them on, the speakers actually sound pretty descent.

I do suggest turning on the "boost" function if it's not loud enough. Surprisingly even with that turned on and volume maxed out, there is no distortion. The A510's speakers still sound noticeably better as there is most detail and they have a fuller sound. The TF305 has a tendency to sound a bit muffled at times, depending on how you're holding it.

I still wish they'd put them forward facing. Otherwise, I find them perfectly acceptable and wouldn't mind watching a few shows or demoing the device to friends.

So let's wrap this one up.

Pros:

+ Looks very nice
+ Light weight and thin
+ Tegra 3 Performance
+ Full-size SD Card Slot
+ USB functionality
+ Descent stereo speakers
+ Gorilla Glass

Cons:

- LCD Light Bleed
- Only "OK" battery life
- No SD Card Slot Cover (when in use)
- Considering specs (16GB model), could be a bit cheaper

CONCLUSION:

So how bad is the light bleed? It's annoying enough that this is getting returned. I've been in the IT field for nearly 2 decades and have repaired so many computers and electronics (including many LCD's), I wouldn't even want to guess as to how many. In other words, I know a defect when I see one. :) However, my lovely wife did play with this for a while and she did "volunteer" to take it off my hands - even after showing her the light bleed. It didn't bother her one bit, which I'm sure will be the case for many other folks out there.

So my search for a solid Android tablet continues. On the plus side, I think we're getting closer! Just give me all of the good features from Asus, Acer, and Toshiba, and we'll have one killer tablet on our hands. Come on folks, it can't be that hard to spend $400-$500 on a tablet without making compromises.
3939 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2012
OK I agree with most of these reviews. Its fast, light and aesthetically it looks good. But, like many others, I'm sending mine back due to light bleed. Lots of it! If the new one is good (amazon is overnighting it to me) then I will definitely be keeping it and getting rid of my Galaxy Tab 7.7 (great tablet but I wanted a bigger screen and Samsung is too slow in upgrading the O/S).

Couple of things worth knowing if you are buying this tablet...
- you must format your external SD card as exFAT if you want full write access with 3rd party apps. Thanks to another reviewer for this tip.
- battery life is OK, not great. People are claiming 6 - 8 hours depending on use, I'd say that's about right.
- external speaker is good, when enhancements are turned on, but not great. Does the trick for watching vids online but not ideal for enjoying music.

Overall as long as I can get one with no (or minimal) light bleed, I will be happy with this tablet.

*** update 23-May *****

Got replacement tablet from Amazon. Less light bleed but still there. It honestly isn't a huge thing but for this kind of money I may give up on it and get the new ASUS or ACER that are coming out in June. Not sure yet...

*** update July 14 ***

I returned the 2nd Toshiba and ended up getting a third. I ended up getting the 16gb version, still has some light bleed but nothing major. After checking out the new ACER and it's overheating issue and deciding I didn't want to wait for the new ASUS tf700 (or pay for it) it came down to Toshiba or the new Google tablet but I didn't want to lose out on expandable storage. I would have gotten the Toshiba 7.7 (I love the screen) but the price is ridiculous. In the end, for the price I happy with the Toshiba.
on January 8, 2013
Works great, the problem I had was the charger. from what I read up about it. The charger is a common problem.

What mine did along with most cases with the charger, is that the solder connectors in the charger came loose and disconnected.

I had to modifly the charger with another usb cable, attach it and re solder it together. works fine now. but before I did this, my charger worked for a day or 2 and stopped charging and was without a tablet for 2-3 days till I had to do research and find a solution. as it was holiday season and was with out a tablet. I was not happy.

Lucky I know about electronics and how to fix annoyance that occurs. but for most, you would have had to order another $50-$60 charger. or return the entire tablet and wait for a new one to be shipped out. if it was still in the 30 day purchased limit. then have to wait another 2-3 weeks for a new one to be shipped out. maybe even longer wait for it to come.

its not the companys fault that has them in stock, its Toshibas Company with there faulty charger. no excuse on there part.

another thing im dissappointed is that you cant charge it with a micro usb.

so thats why you get 3 stars
on January 31, 2013
This is my first tablet and I think it's great! I bought the older (Android 4.0 'Ice Cream Sandwich') version because I really wanted to have the HDMI & SD card slots (which the newer Android 4.1 'Jelly Bean' version doesn't have). I read somewhere that this tablet will accept a 128GB SD card, so I bought a 64GB SD card and installed it in the SD card slot (with no problems). I had to remove the plastic cover that WAS filling the SD card slot. Once I installed the SD card, the plastic SD card slot cover no longer fits. The SD card fits all of the way down into the slot, but you can still see the back end of the SD card. It's not a physical problem, just a visual one (since the card is not hidden behind a silvery cover. I don't think it's a real problem, especially after I bought a leather cover for the tablet. The Toshiba tablet uses a proprietary Toshiba 115VAC wall plug charger so, if you want to charge the tablet, you will NEED the Toshiba charger. The tablet came bundled with one charger. I decided to order a 2nd charger - to have one charger at home and one at work. Although other people wrote that the micro USB port can be used to charge the tablet, I couldn't get it to charge my tablet. I plugged the micro USB cable into my computer, but the tablet never gave any indication that it was charging. I think that the micro USB port is only for connecting to a computer to TRANSFER DATA. As for the light bleeding (on the screen) that some people have mentioned (as a defect), I have no idea what they are talking about. This may be my first tablet, but the screen looks just fine to me. Eventually, I'll figure out what to do with all of the apps, but I'm learning more each day. By the way, you will really need to have a Google account. Until I created a Google account and logged on, it seemed like every app that I tried to open wouldn't work, because I kept getting a stupid Google Account Log On screen. But, now that I'm logged on, everything is working.
on October 29, 2012
This is a greatly advanced product over the Thrive.

Pros: All my apps work well, speed and function wise: (Office Suite Pro, Weatherbug, Browser, FB Reader, etc}
Browser speed is good to very good.
Boot up in under one minute.
Display color, brightness, resolution is very good.
Excellent open inter-connectability (USB, SD Card, HDMI) (This is a deal breaker for me for competition)Thanks Toshiba.
Gorilla Glass. (No screen protector required)
Weight and thinness is excellent.
Battery life is acceptable, but not quite excellent. Fast enough recharge with supplied cable and charger.
Earphone jack for excellent sound. (Internal Speakers are of no use, but I don't expect Bose sound in
small, thin pkg. I use Bose IE 2 earbuds and get powerful sound performance.)

Cons: Automatic brightness performance is poor. Needs lots of work. This is the only con that should not be there.
Not all videos on internet will play.
Bloatware that cannot be removed.
All other cons are quibbles or cantankerous complaints.

The infamous edge light bleed is only discernible on start up, for my unit and my usage. It is of no concern. However, I don't use the device for watching movies.
on August 14, 2012
I did my research on tablets last year, and after months of debating, I decided that the Toshiba Thrive tablet was the one I wanted. Then I got really excited when a refurbished Thrive was offered on Woot, so I bought it. Within three weeks, the glass randomly cracked overnight. I know a lot of people will think I am exaggerating, and that I must have dropped it, but honestly, I had it in a leather cover, closed the cover, put it next to the bed, flat, and went to sleep. Woke up in the morning and the corner was cracked. By the end of the day the crack had extended across the screen. I called Toshiba, and they wouldn't do a thing for me. I found a second day where Woot offered Thrives, and tried again. This one I dropped. and part of the screen shattered. I went back to using the first tablet, as the cracking was a minor annoyance compared to the second one, and it just steadily got worse. I changed my mind and the Thrive was no longer the way to go.

So when shopping for a new replacement, I was certainly not going to get another Thrive, and I couldn't imagine getting another Toshiba product. And after having had a tablet for a few months, I realized that for my purposes, the only thing that was important that wasn't standard to every Android based tablet out there was to have Gorilla Glass. I know its not unbreakable, but it is much harder to break. So I started shopping again, and they announced the Excite. I didn't get excited, because it was another Toshiba product. But every other single tablet out there with Gorilla glass was either 7 inches, or priced out of my interest range. So I checked into the Excite.

It runs much more smoothly than the Thrive did, it is significantly lighter and sleeker. I don't have a compulsive urge to own backplates in every color (luckily I talked myself out of buying any backplate for the Thrive except the silver, which I got on sale), and even though I have already dropped it once (yes, I am horribly clumsy), the glass is still intact after 3 weeks of ownership. I am much more impressed with the durability and the speed. The sound from the Excite exceeds the Thrive also, it sounds much more clear. And the battery life, oh, the battery life is wonderful. With light to moderate use, I can get two days out of the battery. The screen is beautiful and bright and crisp, enough that I decided that it is too pretty to put an anti glare screen protector on and got a clear one instead so I can enjoy the crispness of the picture.

My only cons are that it is hard to find economically priced accessories, as this is so new to the market, it takes longer than the Thrive to charge, and this only seems to happen when I leave a particular app running, but it occasionally seems to turn itself on. This could also be related to the fact that the power and volume buttons are exceedingly easy to activate, to the point where I frequently hit the volume button by accident when holding the tablet in landscape view.

All in all, I am very pleased with the Excite. I got it for a reasonable price here at Amazon, and since I wasn't buying a refurbished model, I also opted for the square trade warranty, so even if I do manage to clumsy my way into breaking the glass, it should be covered.

**edit due to experience with the tablet**

The charger is less than cooperative. For the past couple of weeks the cord has to be positioned perfectly, and even if it isn't moved (plugged in overnight, not moving it after I establish that it is being charged) the charger will disconnect itself somehow, even though it is securely plugged in. I checked the connections at the tablet, from the usb to the wall plug, and from the wall plug into the wall each time, and all were secure, but the tablet does not charge reliably. This is a big downside after only 4 months, and I can't find a replacement charger out there (though admittedly, I haven't looked very hard yet), they all seem to think that it charges through the usb, and I don't think this is true.

However, I still love my Excite, and I have had it longer than I had either of the two Thrives and the glass has yet to crack! So allover still a win.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.